Jump to topic:

University, grades, and learning.

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:37:23 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I have been struggling in my classes at college. It is stressing me out, but I don't know what to do.

I am going into history (no universities around here except a Private, Christian one has an "Ancient History" Major).
I have studied early Christian history for some time now.
When I take classes, this is what happens:
1) The classes have no actual relevance to my major.
They mostly deal with modern history. While there are many similarities between modern and ancient historical methods, there are differences. Besides, we aren't even learning methodologies, just memorization of facts.
2) When it comes to topics I am familiar with they give crap information. Yes, I do not always agree with the consensus, but I do know the consensus in many situations, and they don't even agree with the consensus. They simply state something as fact (that isn't the consensus) and don't tell us how that conclusion was reached.

The sad thing is, when I get distracted reading history articles, journals, books, etc. my grades suffer, but I LEARN MORE.

I need help getting a plan together that will help me balance the time. I have always been bad at time management and none of my plans for time management have worked. I am sure some of you have had similar issues, so what have you done that has worked?

Also, what should I do about my classes when they teach misinformation? Should I talk to the professor? I have tried memorizing their facts but when it comes time to take the tests, I sometimes forget if they which "fact" was correct answer, the ones I learned from other sources or the ones they used.

Needless to say, I need help making a plan of action for the next semester. If anyone can do that, please help me.

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:45:31 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:37:23 AM, SNP1 wrote:
I have been struggling in my classes at college. It is stressing me out, but I don't know what to do.

I am going into history (no universities around here except a Private, Christian one has an "Ancient History" Major).
They mostly deal with modern history. While there are many similarities between modern and ancient historical methods, there are differences. Besides, we aren't even learning methodologies, just memorization of facts.
2) When it comes to topics I am familiar with they give crap information. Yes, I do not always agree with the consensus, but I do know the consensus in many situations, and they don't even agree with the consensus. They simply state something as fact (that isn't the consensus) and don't tell us how that conclusion was reached.

The sad thing is, when I get distracted reading history articles, journals, books, etc. my grades suffer, but I LEARN MORE.

I need help getting a plan together that will help me balance the time. I have always been bad at time management and none of my plans for time management have worked. I am sure some of you have had similar issues, so what have you done that has worked?

Also, what should I do about my classes when they teach misinformation? Should I talk to the professor? I have tried memorizing their facts but when it comes time to take the tests, I sometimes forget if they which "fact" was correct answer, the ones I learned from other sources or the ones they used.

Needless to say, I need help making a plan of action for the next semester. If anyone can do that, please help me.

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

Join a hangout one night when I'm in there, and I'll tell you how to solve that problem.
Tsar of DDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:48:02 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:45:31 AM, YYW wrote:

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

Join a hangout one night when I'm in there, and I'll tell you how to solve that problem.

Never done a hangout before. What is it like?
#WarOnDDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:48:47 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:48:02 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

Pretty chill. Just use your mic though...
Tsar of DDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:50:31 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:48:47 AM, YYW wrote:

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

Well, I guess I need to buy a mic. Mine broke a while ago.
What usually gets talked about and how often do they happen?
#WarOnDDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:52:57 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:50:31 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

You have iphone earbuds? They work.... just plug them into your computer...

They happen every night.
Tsar of DDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:55:42 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:52:57 AM, YYW wrote:

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

They happen every night.

No. I should be able to get a pair soon (I am starting YouTube and need one anyways).
#WarOnDDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:59:28 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:55:42 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 12/16/2015 3:52:57 AM, YYW wrote:

Thank you in advance,
~SNP1

They happen every night.

No. I should be able to get a pair soon (I am starting YouTube and need one anyways).

right on
Tsar of DDO