Jump to topic:

Do you have an allergy?

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 9:39:36 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I just recently found out that I am allergic to birch pollen. I found out due to eating an apple the other day.

Throughout my life I've always felt an itchy feeling in my throat whenever I ate apples, but it was never anything that persisted long enough to make an impact on me. I would just always note how it was annoying but never put any more thought into it. So, yesterday I'm eating apple slices and afterwards I felt little bumps on the inside of my lips and mouth and that made a big enough impact. The bumps receded about an hour later, but it annoyed me to the point that I had to do some research.

Apparently, the bumps and itchy sensation is due to the birch pollen that sometimes gets on the skin of apples. When I wash the apples, I have no issue, it's only when I eat unwashed apples and it seems this brand of sliced apples doesn't wash too thoroughly. I never have had any sort of allergy to anything before, so this was a pretty exciting self-discovery if I can be honest.

How about you, do you have any allergies? If so, how did you discover that?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 9:51:56 PM
I'm not allergic to any food....

But I'm allergic to metal jewlrey..

I can only wear stealing silver, or gold. Every time I wear a metal bracelet, ring or necklace I just break out in a rash and it gets so irritated it bleeds....my ears have also gotten exreamly infected by metal earnings to the point where I couldn't wear earnings for 2 weeks because they were so irritated from the prior weeks when I wore metal earnings.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 9:54:41 PM
At 12/17/2015 9:39:36 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I just recently found out that I am allergic to birch pollen. I found out due to eating an apple the other day.

Throughout my life I've always felt an itchy feeling in my throat whenever I ate apples, but it was never anything that persisted long enough to make an impact on me. I would just always note how it was annoying but never put any more thought into it. So, yesterday I'm eating apple slices and afterwards I felt little bumps on the inside of my lips and mouth and that made a big enough impact. The bumps receded about an hour later, but it annoyed me to the point that I had to do some research.

Apparently, the bumps and itchy sensation is due to the birch pollen that sometimes gets on the skin of apples. When I wash the apples, I have no issue, it's only when I eat unwashed apples and it seems this brand of sliced apples doesn't wash too thoroughly. I never have had any sort of allergy to anything before, so this was a pretty exciting self-discovery if I can be honest.

Huh. That is surprisingly interesting. Do you get allergies in the spring when the pollen is free in the air? Or does it only become noticeable with contact?

--
I discovered that I'm allergic to stupid. I never realized it until the advent of the internet (yes there was a time before everybody had access to the internet). Then after reading what some people would post, I would get this headache and a redness around my eyes that made me want to scratch them out.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 9:57:40 PM

Penicillin. I was hospitalized for severe illness when I was very young (around 3 or 4), and almost died because of a massive antibiotic dose which they gave me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:52:16 PM
I am allergic to 13 kinds of tree pollen, 5 kinds of grass pollen, to cats, to 3 kinds of mold spores, to dust mites, to bed bugs, and to some cleaning chemicals.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 10:53:33 PM
I may be allergic to nickle, but I am not sure.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:08:27 PM
At 12/17/2015 9:51:56 PM, Rosalie wrote:
I'm not allergic to any food....

But I'm allergic to metal jewlrey..

I can only wear stealing silver, or gold. Every time I wear a metal bracelet, ring or necklace I just break out in a rash and it gets so irritated it bleeds....my ears have also gotten exreamly infected by metal earnings to the point where I couldn't wear earnings for 2 weeks because they were so irritated from the prior weeks when I wore metal earnings.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I actually know a few people with similar allergies to metals. A really funny story I read one time was about how a wife found out her wedding ring was fake - she broke out in a rash from the metal after her husband told her it was real gold :))
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:10:34 PM
At 12/17/2015 9:54:41 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Huh. That is surprisingly interesting. Do you get allergies in the spring when the pollen is free in the air? Or does it only become noticeable with contact?

It only becomes noticeable with contact, which is probably why I never really even thought to approach the issue as if it was an allergy. Whenever all my friends would be hit with allergies in the spring, I'd be fine - I'd even brag about having no allergies to them, lol.

...Karma

--
I discovered that I'm allergic to stupid. I never realized it until the advent of the internet (yes there was a time before everybody had access to the internet). Then after reading what some people would post, I would get this headache and a redness around my eyes that made me want to scratch them out.

Lmao, I think that's an allergy that alot of us suffer from. Unfortunately there is no known cure.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:11:46 PM
At 12/17/2015 9:57:40 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Penicillin. I was hospitalized for severe illness when I was very young (around 3 or 4), and almost died because of a massive antibiotic dose which they gave me.

Wow man, that's intense. If a similar illness ever arose, would you be able to receive any antibiotics that don't have penicillin in them? I'm not very knowledgeable on these things so forgive me if my question is dumb, lol.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:15:00 PM
At 12/17/2015 10:52:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I am allergic to 13 kinds of tree pollen, 5 kinds of grass pollen, to cats, to 3 kinds of mold spores, to dust mites, to bed bugs, and to some cleaning chemicals.

Okay, you win. Lol :)

I actually had to deal with a bed bug infestation one time, it was seriously one of the worst experiences I've ever had to deal with. Waking up in the middle of the night, with the sensation of things crawling all over you, only to turn on the light and see that there really are bugs crawling all over you. I literally moved out of the house because of that, got a new bed, brought all my clothing to the dry cleaners and went through every book in my personal library checking for eggs. I still have nightmares and flashbacks, it really was traumatizing.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:17:20 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:11:46 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Wow man, that's intense. If a similar illness ever arose, would you be able to receive any antibiotics that don't have penicillin in them? I'm not very knowledgeable on these things so forgive me if my question is dumb, lol.

No, problem, lol. I'm allergic to penicillin and everything in that 'family', which targets a component of the bacterial cell wall. And by allergic I mean a true allergy, where my throat closes up and I can't breath. I can take other antibiotics if I get sick, but the usually have nasty side-effects. Doxycycline, for example, causes me to get second degree burns from five minutes of sun exposure. So I basically had to walk around in a burka for two weeks when I was on it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:18:58 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:15:00 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I'm allergic to dairy products. I usually just break out into a rash, but last year December I ended up breaking out in hives an having to go to the hospital :s whelps...

Yeah.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:21:03 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:17:20 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/17/2015 11:11:46 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

No, problem, lol. I'm allergic to penicillin and everything in that 'family', which targets a component of the bacterial cell wall. And by allergic I mean a true allergy, where my throat closes up and I can't breath. I can take other antibiotics if I get sick, but the usually have nasty side-effects. Doxycycline, for example, causes me to get second degree burns from five minutes of sun exposure. So I basically had to walk around in a burka for two weeks when I was on it.

Wow man, that's intense. I'm glad that there are at-least some alternatives for you to use if need be, even if it means having to hide inside for a few weeks.

I had a childhood friend who was allergic to grass. He literally could not come into contact with grass at all, and would always have to wear long sleeves and long pants tucked into the socks if we were gonna play outside.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:22:19 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:18:58 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'm allergic to dairy products. I usually just break out into a rash, but last year December I ended up breaking out in hives an having to go to the hospital :s whelps...

Yeah.

That's interesting, so is your allergy different from people who are lactose-intolerant?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:24:52 PM
At 12/17/2015 11:22:19 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 12/17/2015 11:18:58 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Yeah.

That's interesting, so is your allergy different from people who are lactose-intolerant?

Yeah, because I can digest dairy products and it's fine... I just break out into a rash. I think the usual reaction is like diarrhoea or indigestion and stuff
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2015 11:32:28 PM
At 12/17/2015 10:53:33 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I may be allergic to nickle, but I am not sure.

*Nickel?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 12:03:27 AM
I stopped eating pretzels because they would make my throat feel like it was swelling up. I never got tested but I figured I was probably allergic to something in them
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 12:43:46 AM
I'm listed to have an allergy for Ibuprofen and Biaxin, but I'm most likely (99% chance) only allergic to one - but I was on both when I had a reaction, and it was bad enough that doctors don't want to test which one I'm fine with.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 12:59:59 AM

I actually had to deal with a bed bug infestation one time, it was seriously one of the worst experiences I've ever had to deal with. Waking up in the middle of the night, with the sensation of things crawling all over you, only to turn on the light and see that there really are bugs crawling all over you. I literally moved out of the house because of that, got a new bed, brought all my clothing to the dry cleaners and went through every book in my personal library checking for eggs. I still have nightmares and flashbacks, it really was traumatizing.

Yeah...I recently went through a bed bug infestation myself.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:36:25 AM
I am allergic to

1. Ferns

2.. Some flowers

3. Cats

4. Bugs

5. Peanuts
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 5:37:29 AM
At 12/18/2015 5:34:25 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Tuna and fish and general... learned Dat the hard way.

Correction: And fish *in* general
"Change your sig."
~YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 6:16:12 AM
At 12/18/2015 12:59:59 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Yeah...I recently went through a bed bug infestation myself.

Did you let the bed bugs bite?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 2:07:57 PM
I have allergic rhinitis and asthma so I'm allergic to dust, dirt, staying up late and smog. But I'm also supposedly allergic to chicken, most pollen. cats, dogs, anything with fur, dust mites, chocolate milk etc.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:46:25 PM
At 12/18/2015 12:03:27 AM, thett3 wrote:
I stopped eating pretzels because they would make my throat feel like it was swelling up. I never got tested but I figured I was probably allergic to something in them

Yeah man, that's definitely a sign of an allergy. You should look it up just to see what it actually is that irritated your throat. In my case, I thought it was the apples but it was really the birch pollen on the apple skin. So, for all you know, maybe you can still eat pretzels too, just not a certain kind or something.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:47:30 PM
At 12/18/2015 12:43:46 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I'm listed to have an allergy for Ibuprofen and Biaxin, but I'm most likely (99% chance) only allergic to one - but I was on both when I had a reaction, and it was bad enough that doctors don't want to test which one I'm fine with.

Wow that's crazy. I'm glad the reaction wasn't too severe. It's scary having serious reactions without knowing beforehand that it was a possibility. Luckily there are other painkillers out there so that's a good thing.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:49:02 PM
At 12/18/2015 5:34:25 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Tuna and fish and general... learned Dat the hard way.

That's interesting, is there a specific reason why?

I've never really liked fish myself, the sea-taste isn't enjoyable for me. I do like fresh-water fish though that don't have the "fishy" taste. My favorite though is smoked mahi-mahi.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:49:52 PM
At 12/18/2015 5:36:25 AM, fire_wings wrote:
I am allergic to

1. Ferns

2.. Some flowers

3. Cats

4. Bugs

5. Peanuts

That's a pretty wide range of allergies. Is there one in specific that would cause a worse reaction than the others?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:50:13 PM

Jesus, you're like the bubble boy!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2015 8:50:39 PM
At 12/18/2015 2:07:57 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
I have allergic rhinitis and asthma so I'm allergic to dust, dirt, staying up late and smog. But I'm also supposedly allergic to chicken, most pollen. cats, dogs, anything with fur, dust mites, chocolate milk etc.

You're allergic to staying up late? That's fascinating, can you tell me more about that?!