Jump to topic:

New Year Resolution: Read more

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 7:57:49 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I'm compiling a list of all the books I need to read this semester because i have been cribbing about my lack of reading for close to a year now. I've realised all the books I've read this year have been intellectually void, lol. The only 'good' book I read was The book thief, and I didn't really enjoy it. Other than that it was all crass fiction.

My aim is 12 books this year. Here's the list I've compiled till now, and I'm iffy on a certain books. Kinda trying to decide which one's to buy, I have the following list till now. Feel free to recommend/ share your reading list for 2016, so I can get cool ideas.

I'm interested in politics, history or wanderlust sorta books.

1. Zen and the art of Motorcycle mainenance: Inquiry into values- Robert M. Pirsig
I've read reviews on this and its usually highly recommended. It's this book that explores philosophical questions in a really candid way, using motorcycle maintenance as the illustrative element behind it. I haven't really read philosophical books, and this sorta looks interesting.

2. The discovery of India: Jawahar lal nehru
Haven't read it yet, ashamed. Need to.

3. Maximum City: Suketu Mehta
History of Mumbai, has interviews of Mafias and businessmen and poor people and stuff, kinda tells the history of the city through the people. Plan to go on random road trips next semester, want the decision to be informed.

4. Alchemist: I'm iffy on this one. Have heard great praises, but I don't like his writing style. Granted I've just seen his facebook posts and stuff, but I dunno. He seems too... idealistic. Like to a fault. Has anyone read this? Reviews?

5. History of western philosophy: bertrand russell - Again iffy on this. I'm not particularly interested in philosophy, but I was impressed by this review of it on wiki.

I'll update this soon-ish. Feel free to recommend more books/ share your own reading list.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 8:06:01 PM
I got Nixonland for Christmas, a biography of our greatest president. So far it's been pretty good
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 11:38:41 PM
At 12/25/2015 8:06:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
I got Nixonland for Christmas, a biography of our greatest president. So far it's been pretty good

I'm thinking about buying that Nixon tapes book, or the book recently written about him showing how he was an awesome president that the left just pulled an incredible political hit job on.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 2:39:59 AM
Tell me how Zen & the Art is - I've been wanting to read that for quite some time.

Russell is a top-tier philosopher, but I find his writing style SO DRY sometimes. This is a good read though: http://www.personal.kent.edu...

History of Western Philosophy is probably the best introduction to the field there is (regardless of any accusations of bias).
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2015 8:41:15 AM
At 12/25/2015 7:57:49 PM, Cermank wrote:
I'm compiling a list of all the books I need to read this semester because i have been cribbing about my lack of reading for close to a year now. I've realised all the books I've read this year have been intellectually void, lol. The only 'good' book I read was The book thief, and I didn't really enjoy it. Other than that it was all crass fiction.

My aim is 12 books this year. Here's the list I've compiled till now, and I'm iffy on a certain books. Kinda trying to decide which one's to buy, I have the following list till now. Feel free to recommend/ share your reading list for 2016, so I can get cool ideas.

I'm interested in politics, history or wanderlust sorta books.

1. Zen and the art of Motorcycle mainenance: Inquiry into values- Robert M. Pirsig
I've read reviews on this and its usually highly recommended. It's this book that explores philosophical questions in a really candid way, using motorcycle maintenance as the illustrative element behind it. I haven't really read philosophical books, and this sorta looks interesting.

2. The discovery of India: Jawahar lal nehru
Haven't read it yet, ashamed. Need to.

3. Maximum City: Suketu Mehta
History of Mumbai, has interviews of Mafias and businessmen and poor people and stuff, kinda tells the history of the city through the people. Plan to go on random road trips next semester, want the decision to be informed.

4. Alchemist: I'm iffy on this one. Have heard great praises, but I don't like his writing style. Granted I've just seen his facebook posts and stuff, but I dunno. He seems too... idealistic. Like to a fault. Has anyone read this? Reviews?

I figured out the whole plot by 3 pages; not the best book I've read.

5. History of western philosophy: bertrand russell - Again iffy on this. I'm not particularly interested in philosophy, but I was impressed by this review of it on wiki.

I'll update this soon-ish. Feel free to recommend more books/ share your own reading list.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2015 11:30:06 AM
If you're still looking for other books, I suggest Pinker's The Language Instinct and Jackendoff's A User's Guide to Thought and Meaning. Both are very easy yet inspiring reads.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...