Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

What are your New Year's resolutions?

lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2015 10:37:00 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
My resolutions for 2016 are pretty simple: increase my well-being through cutting off negativity and seeking more positivity; focus more on my work and my goals, and less on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things; continue to cultivate my relationships.

What are your resolutions for 2016? Did you achieve your goals in 2015?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2015 11:24:16 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
In the past, I've listed resolutions in a notebook, assigned them all points, and gave myself a point total goal for the end of the year. It's worked well when I felt like I wanted to accomplish a lot and needed structure.

Last year, my professional goals were related to finishing my thesis, publications, and GPA, and my relationship goals were related to us. I've been very fortunate in that they've all been met.

Next year, I have professional goals related to publications and GPA, relationship goals related to our new place together, and personal goals related to tennis and Rosetta Stone. I'm hopeful.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:12:15 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/27/2015 11:24:16 PM, Maikuru wrote:
In the past, I've listed resolutions in a notebook, assigned them all points, and gave myself a point total goal for the end of the year. It's worked well when I felt like I wanted to accomplish a lot and needed structure.

I think that's a really cool idea, though I doubt I have the discipline to carry it out.

Last year, my professional goals were related to finishing my thesis, publications, and GPA, and my relationship goals were related to us. I've been very fortunate in that they've all been met.

Sweet :)

Next year, I have professional goals related to publications and GPA, relationship goals related to our new place together, and personal goals related to tennis and Rosetta Stone. I'm hopeful.

Same here (minus tennis).
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/27/2015 10:37:00 PM, lamerde wrote:
My resolutions for 2016 are pretty simple: increase my well-being through cutting off negativity and seeking more positivity; focus more on my work and my goals, and less on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things; continue to cultivate my relationships.

What are your resolutions for 2016? Did you achieve your goals in 2015?

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:26:46 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/27/2015 10:37:00 PM, lamerde wrote:
My resolutions for 2016 are pretty simple: increase my well-being through cutting off negativity and seeking more positivity; focus more on my work and my goals, and less on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things; continue to cultivate my relationships.

What are your resolutions for 2016? Did you achieve your goals in 2015?

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).

How can you possibly extend your current wine knowledge??
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:29:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:26:46 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/27/2015 10:37:00 PM, lamerde wrote:
My resolutions for 2016 are pretty simple: increase my well-being through cutting off negativity and seeking more positivity; focus more on my work and my goals, and less on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things; continue to cultivate my relationships.

What are your resolutions for 2016? Did you achieve your goals in 2015?

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).

How can you possibly extend your current wine knowledge??

Haha, there is A LOT that I don't know. As in, the vast majority of it. I want to taste more widely, and to read up on both industry practices and ampelography. Plus I'm a bit unpolished when it comes to food pairings.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:33:11 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).

Which countries' histories are you familiar with now?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:33:36 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:29:51 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:26:46 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/27/2015 10:37:00 PM, lamerde wrote:
My resolutions for 2016 are pretty simple: increase my well-being through cutting off negativity and seeking more positivity; focus more on my work and my goals, and less on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things; continue to cultivate my relationships.

What are your resolutions for 2016? Did you achieve your goals in 2015?

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).

How can you possibly extend your current wine knowledge??

Haha, there is A LOT that I don't know. As in, the vast majority of it. I want to taste more widely, and to read up on both industry practices and ampelography. Plus I'm a bit unpolished when it comes to food pairings.

As someone trying to gain knowledge, is it useful for you to go on tasting tours, or is that more for wine amateurs? Are you at the point where you can successfully do your own research and just purchase what you'd like to experiment on yourself?

As I recall during his ama, Fourtrouble mentioned being interested in owning his own vineyard. Is that a dream of yours? Maybe you two have spoken about this before.

Food pairings have always fascinated me, too. I understand the idea of matching sweetness when it comes to desserts, but beyond that, I am lost. Where do you even begin with that, if you don't mind me asking?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:39:03 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:33:11 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).

Which countries' histories are you familiar with now?

Um, I consider myself passingly familiar with French, English, Italian, some German, Turkish, Spanish, some Russian, some Mongol, Aztec, Persian and Arabic history. Of course, these are pretty huge stretches of time, so there are still gaps everywhere to be filled in. No one ever approaches the point of fully grasping any history, because the details are so intricate. It's like focusing a microscope without optical limits: there's always a deeper level, and the worldwide picture always gets so much more expansive and daunting when you drop to that level.

I just know that I know next to nothing about India, a very little bit of Japanese history, and a brief summary of China's very expansive history. Africa also has some blank spots to fill in; I find Abyssinian and Malian history to be particularly interesting.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:48:18 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:33:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:29:51 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:26:46 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/28/2015 5:26:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/27/2015 10:37:00 PM, lamerde wrote:
My resolutions for 2016 are pretty simple: increase my well-being through cutting off negativity and seeking more positivity; focus more on my work and my goals, and less on things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things; continue to cultivate my relationships.

What are your resolutions for 2016? Did you achieve your goals in 2015?

Extend my wine knowledge, get a promotion, and brush up on history that I may not be up to speed on (probably Indian at this point).

How can you possibly extend your current wine knowledge??

Haha, there is A LOT that I don't know. As in, the vast majority of it. I want to taste more widely, and to read up on both industry practices and ampelography. Plus I'm a bit unpolished when it comes to food pairings.

As someone trying to gain knowledge, is it useful for you to go on tasting tours, or is that more for wine amateurs? Are you at the point where you can successfully do your own research and just purchase what you'd like to experiment on yourself?

Tasting tours are great if you want to sample a winery's whole portfolio of wines. I'm not close to any prestigious wine areas; the closest are probably in the Finger Lakes or maybe Virginia. Mostly I just purchase wines or go to festivals, where a whole bunch of vendors bring wines to taste. That and actual wine classes. I read publications to find out what to try, or just do it on impulse.

As I recall during his ama, Fourtrouble mentioned being interested in owning his own vineyard. Is that a dream of yours? Maybe you two have spoken about this before.

No, probably not. In most cases, you need money to make money making wine. I've read some rags-to-riches stories, but they usually involve people who have their ear to the ground and cultivate extensive networking in the world of professional winemakers. Basically, you have to buy land in the narrow window between an outrageously successful vintage's first tasting and the word getting out. Land, in ten years, can spike from $3,000 an acre to $100,000 an acre once people know that it's particularly good for wine.

Food pairings have always fascinated me, too. I understand the idea of matching sweetness when it comes to desserts, but beyond that, I am lost. Where do you even begin with that, if you don't mind me asking?

It's really interesting, and not completely predictable. Tannins complement hearty meats, acid cuts through fat, and flavors in the wine meld with and complement each other. Spiciness has this weird feedback effect, lol, it's just strange. Drink a syrah with something spicy and it burns! Also, wines in an 'old world' style tend to complement food better than those in a 'new world' style.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,449
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 6:21:33 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
my new years resolution is to create a new years resolution... oh crap i just did it! Successful year accomplished ahead of time :D
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Yassine
Posts: 2,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 6:42:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 5:39:03 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Um, I consider myself passingly familiar with French, English, Italian, some German, Turkish, Spanish, some Russian, some Mongol, Aztec, Persian and Arabic history.

- With the exception of French history, I have a general idea about the others. (that doesn't include Arabic, Turkish & Persian history of course, relatively speaking).

Of course, these are pretty huge stretches of time, so there are still gaps everywhere to be filled in. No one ever approaches the point of fully grasping any history, because the details are so intricate.

- True, but there are some exceptions. Some people just reach those limits of what is humanly possible. Ibn 'Uq'al claimed to have encompassed Islamic History up to his time, & had a 800-volumes reference to show for it. Ibn 'Asakir did the same with Syrian Islamic history, where he compiled his famous book "History of Damascus" in 80 volumes, full of reports he collected himself, which took him a lifetime. & other insanely capable individuals.

It's like focusing a microscope without optical limits: there's always a deeper level, and the worldwide picture always gets so much more expansive and daunting when you drop to that level.

- There is just so much one can absorb, & so little time. Classically, knowing a good deal of history (a LOT) was a mandatory requirement to get a license (it still is in some corners). I particularly don't think anyone who doesn't have a solid foundation in human history is equipped or qualified to engage in any social science.

I just know that I know next to nothing about India, a very little bit of Japanese history, and a brief summary of China's very expansive history.

- China, China. China is its own world. I hope with the rise of China to power, their culture & history gets revived again, it would very sad if they dissolved into western culture, especially since western traditions are already going into oblivion. It's really sad when someone like me feels more protective of French traditions than the French themselves.

Africa also has some blank spots to fill in; I find Abyssinian and Malian history to be particularly interesting.

- There is a history book I've been looking for compiled by Nana Asmaa a Nigerian scholar, about the history of that region, particularly the Sokoto caliphate. She reportedly wrote over 70 books, several of which deal with African history & politics. I reckon her works haven't been published yet, I can't seem to find them.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...