Jump to topic:

Parents' Influence on Dating

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 2:01:41 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Should one's parents have a significant influence on whoever it is you choose to date?

I've heard both sides of the story- that your parents raised and sacrificed for you, so the good thing to do would be to listen to whatever they say on whoever you choose to date, because they'd know best. And I've also heard that it's your life, and you should choose whoever it is you want to date, because they'd have to make you happy- you'd be the one dating them, not your parents.

My question to you, fellow DDOrks, is- what's your opinion on the matter?
Have you ever been in a relationship that your parent(s) didn't approve of?
How did you deal with it, if yes to above?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 2:22:09 AM
At 1/5/2016 2:01:41 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Should one's parents have a significant influence on whoever it is you choose to date?

I've heard both sides of the story- that your parents raised and sacrificed for you, so the good thing to do would be to listen to whatever they say on whoever you choose to date, because they'd know best. And I've also heard that it's your life, and you should choose whoever it is you want to date, because they'd have to make you happy- you'd be the one dating them, not your parents.

In my opinion as long as you live in their household they have a right to tell you that you can't date so and so. But after you live on your own it is your choice and yours alone; at best they can offer you advice.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:05:58 AM
I think in general parents should take a more active role in their children's lives than they tend to in the West. Kids are dumb and make bad decisions even in good-faith because they're too ignorant to know better. You don't have to full-on arrange their marriage, but you should at least vet the sh*t out of whomever they bring home.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 9:16:23 AM

No. Live your own life. Anyone who is more caught up with getting acceptance from their parents than doing their own life should probably go see a psychoanalyst.

Yes. But my parents are tactful people who wouldn't ever tell me that. So it had no impact on my life or the life of my girlfriend.

Were my parents to disapprove, I'd ask them why, I'd listen to their concerns, and I'd respond to those concerns where appropriate. If they still don't approve, I'd tell them that it's outside their control, and they should treat the situation as such. And, in fact, it's not different than any situation involving family members. Nobody chooses their family. You're born into a certain set of parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and so on. Who these people are, and whether you like them, or get along with them, or approve of them, is outside your control. But they're still part of your life, and despite disliking them sometimes, you still do your best to get along, and at the end of the day, you care for them because they're your family. I'd explain to my parents that this situation is no different - it's outside their control who I fall in love with, and who I want to make part of my family - but what is within their control is how they treat that person. And the right thing to do is to treat them like family members you don't like, which is to say, to do your best to get along, to care for them, and to respect them.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 9:42:47 AM

Up to a certain point, yes. I think while living in their house they ultimately have a say in the direction your life heads, including the people you date. Essentially - their house, their rules. However, I also believe that once you 'leave the nest' you have the ultimate say in who you date.

Yes, one time. It was back in highschool and was the girl I lost my virginity to. We both lived just off the beach and she'd always walk around barefoot. My mom hated the fact that her feet were always dirty and would beg me to break up with her. My dad could care less though, so it wasn't as if my 'family' didn't approve, just my mom.

As a whole, I've never been in a relationship that was met with disapproval from my family.

In the one case with the highschool gf I just kinda ignored my mom, lol. She always complained about it in an off-handed manner, never really directly or too seriously. If she had stared me in the eyes and seriously forbid me from seeing her I might have seriously considered it and spoken to my father about it. If he was dead serious as well I would have ended it, solely because I was dependent on them for my livelihood.

If they seriously disapproved of a girl I'm dating now, while living on my own, I'd seriously consider their concerns but ultimately follow my own heart.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 7:31:37 PM

I don't believe they should have control over who you want to date. But I do think its right to listen to their advice since they are wiser.

I've heard both sides of the story- that your parents raised and sacrificed for you, so the good thing to do would be to listen to whatever they say on whoever you choose to date, because they'd know best.

That's how I feel at times. Like I need to please my parents. Be with someone who makes *you* happy, because that's what it really comes down to. All they really want is for you to be happy.

And I've also heard that it's your life, and you should choose whoever it is you want to date, because they'd have to make you happy- you'd be the one dating them, not your parents.

I made a forum about this a while back I believe. But there was this guy I was good friends with, and we texted a significant amounts a day and my mom got concerned because she didn't trust him, so he made me stop talking him. I would have to secretly meet him. But in the end, she was right. He didn't like me for the right reasons, and towards the end I lost trust for him.

Its important to be with someone that makes you happy. Though your parents may be pissed, that's all they want. For you to be happy in life.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 9:20:37 PM

I was in a 'long-term' relationship with a girl whom my parents did not approve of, but I did not care.

I understood their reasoning but for many different reasons did not break up, and as such learnt a very valuable lesson in life.

Which is exactly what one may not do if they always listen to their parents. They do not gain those experiences. We all know or knew someone like that who was absolutely dependant on their parents and lost when they weren't around. And lets face it, one day your parents won't be around and you'll have to make a choice. And that's when you wish you'd have some own experience and not always listened to your parents.

Besides, who says your parents are correct? You need to find out yourself..
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:16:49 PM
At 1/5/2016 9:16:23 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

No. Live your own life. Anyone who is more caught up with getting acceptance from their parents than doing their own life should probably go see a psychoanalyst.

Yes. But my parents are tactful people who wouldn't ever tell me that. So it had no impact on my life or the life of my girlfriend.

Were my parents to disapprove, I'd ask them why, I'd listen to their concerns, and I'd respond to those concerns where appropriate. If they still don't approve, I'd tell them that it's outside their control, and they should treat the situation as such. And, in fact, it's not different than any situation involving family members. Nobody chooses their family. You're born into a certain set of parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and so on. Who these people are, and whether you like them, or get along with them, or approve of them, is outside your control. But they're still part of your life, and despite disliking them sometimes, you still do your best to get along, and at the end of the day, you care for them because they're your family. I'd explain to my parents that this situation is no different - it's outside their control who I fall in love with, and who I want to make part of my family - but what is within their control is how they treat that person. And the right thing to do is to treat them like family members you don't like, which is to say, to do your best to get along, to care for them, and to respect them.

I extremely agree with this. You can't force yourself to fall in love with someone your parents want you to. You love who you love, and no by can, nor should they convince you otherwise. Follow your heart, its your life, and you're the one who is going to spend the rest of your life with that person.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 1:34:30 AM

<3

Its your life, not theirs. You know him, not them.

Not romantic, a friend. I just stopped talking to my parents about it.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 3:08:22 AM
Let's just say they are more than disapproving of my relationship with this man http://i.imgur.com... , but it's true love so they're just going to have to deal with it. It's rare to find such mutual passion these days <3
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 3:40:33 AM
At 1/6/2016 3:08:22 AM, Emilrose wrote:
Let's just say they are more than disapproving of my relationship with this man http://i.imgur.com... , but it's true love so they're just going to have to deal with it. It's rare to find such mutual passion these days <3

Wtf..you're still with him even though he cheated on you with me?

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 3:58:01 AM
At 1/6/2016 3:40:33 AM, Rosalie wrote:

I wish you guys wouldn't post pics of me without my permission.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 3:59:05 AM
At 1/6/2016 3:58:01 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Its what you get for cheating on us..

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:00:55 AM
At 1/6/2016 3:59:05 AM, Rosalie wrote:

My heart is too big for just one person, baby.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:02:40 AM
At 1/6/2016 4:00:55 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

But...last night :( we had a special moment..

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:06:44 AM
At 1/6/2016 4:02:40 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Well now that's it's out in the open, the three of us can share special moments together every night.

http://media.tumblr.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:16:33 AM
I had a parent warn me against dating someone before. In that case, my parent was wrong and the relationship was great. Eventually, the parent changed their tune. However, if you have a positive relationship with your parent(s), their advice and guidance can be quite useful. Parents generally know their children well, and in ways the child may not initially or fully realize. It doesn't necessarily have to be an all-or-nothing situation.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:28:09 AM
At 1/6/2016 4:06:44 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Well now that's it's out in the open, the three of us can share special moments together every night.

No, its too late...I'm leaving this relationship.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:29:48 AM
At 1/6/2016 4:28:09 AM, Rosalie wrote:

No, its too late...I'm leaving this relationship.

Your loss.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:37:30 PM

Well come on, I was there at the time! ;)
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:38:40 PM

So truee

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:18:30 PM
At 1/6/2016 7:38:40 PM, Emilrose wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:31:21 PM

It depends on what you mean by "significant influence". I think it's important to consider parental advice in any situation, but at the end of the day, they can't (and shouldn't) coerce you into being or not being with someone.

Like Maikuru said, your parents know you really well, and I would add that they likely have some dating experience to share that can be useful. I know that I've dated some loser guys and I know how to spot one pretty easily :D so I share that with my younger sisters and they can take it or leave it.

I've dated people my parents didn't approve of; for one of them, we dated off and on for 3 years and by the end, my parents actually really liked him and I was no longer interested in that relationship. Since then, they've kept it to themselves how they feel about my relationships until they're over lol and they just support whatever decisions I've made, while offering advice.

I guess I would say I value my parents' advice about people and now that I'm older, I can look back and say "mother was right" (but I'd never tell her that). I really sought their approval for my current relationship and luckily, they loved him right away. If they had had concerns after meeting him, I would have taken that into consideration...

Full disclosure though: I come from an incredibly traditional family and am very traditional in some ways.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:44:08 PM
At 1/6/2016 8:18:30 PM, Rosalie wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

Wow, after all the trouble you gave me over having to share :p
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:51:29 PM
At 1/6/2016 9:44:08 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

Lol...but you already said you changed your mind....sooo

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:11:06 PM
At 1/6/2016 9:51:29 PM, Rosalie wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

I can change it back.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:15:07 PM
At 1/6/2016 10:11:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

I can change it back.

Uhm, no...you cant. http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:39:57 PM
At 1/6/2016 10:15:07 PM, Rosalie wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

I can change it back.

Hey if you're not interested it can always be just me an Emilrose.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:44:40 PM
At 1/6/2016 10:39:57 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

I can change it back.

Oh that's fine. I can find someone better than you anyways.

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 11:21:02 PM
At 1/6/2016 10:39:57 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

So truee

Ugh....okay, fine.

I can change it back.

Mm, come and play ;)