Jump to topic:

5k and what am I to you

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 5:58:59 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
As I arrive at my 5000th post I feel the need to ask the DDO community a question: what am I to you?
I've been here for over 2 years yet I feel like if I left today nobody would really notice. I see users here who've been around half as long as I have but they're really popular among that "clique" which hangs out in the Debate.org Forum whereas I'm not at all (though I do try to give an effort to socialize there a bit). I see all these positive call-outs and I'm generally not included in any of them. I obviously do not know the reason why but whoever was assigned to me during the secret Santa thing this Christmas season didn't bother preparing anything for me (though I did prepare a little something for the person who I was assigned to). This person may've had a good reason but still.
You have my permission to be completely honest here: what am I to this community? What do you think of me? Am I doing something wrong?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:43:07 PM
At 1/6/2016 5:58:59 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
As I arrive at my 5000th post I feel the need to ask the DDO community a question: what am I to you?
I've been here for over 2 years yet I feel like if I left today nobody would really notice. I see users here who've been around half as long as I have but they're really popular among that "clique" which hangs out in the Debate.org Forum whereas I'm not at all (though I do try to give an effort to socialize there a bit). I see all these positive call-outs and I'm generally not included in any of them. I obviously do not know the reason why but whoever was assigned to me during the secret Santa thing this Christmas season didn't bother preparing anything for me (though I did prepare a little something for the person who I was assigned to). This person may've had a good reason but still.
You have my permission to be completely honest here: what am I to this community? What do you think of me? Am I doing something wrong?

You are a forum contributor and occasional debater (I don't check polls or opinions, so I don't know if you venture into those murky waters). To me, users like you are the heart of DDO. You contribute to and generate discussions. While I sometimes don't agree with your posts or positions, you are creating content without drama or spectacle. Call me an old man, but who cares about whatever "cliques" you're referring to? If you want to socialize, do what I do and add someone on facebook and chat with them there. This is a debating website and I'd prefer to see some actual thinking taking place her, and I think you're a part of that.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:32:40 PM

You contribute a lot to non drama-filled topics of discussion, which I like. You are a voice that speaks for the right side of the political spectrum.

You have an uncanny ability to analyze past and/or current events. You then go on to say what should have been done in order to better or prevent the negativities of the situation.

Your appreciation for history surpasses mine. BTW I think I found someone you would like talking to (since you aren't too social on this site): http://www.debate.org...

You represent the original intent behind this website: to spark and engage intellectual and not-so-intellectual topics of debate. You are what the site was made for, and I personally think that your absence would be noticed.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 10:34:32 PM

Also, if you want to become more engaged in social activity here, I suggest joining a Mafia game, mainly Bsh's Beginner's Series.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 11:14:37 PM
Well, you don't really associate with anybody...that's why you're not in this 'clique'~~though you're a contributing member, you also keep yourself to yourself.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:30:23 AM

I consider you a friend, though we haven't talked as much as I'd to. :-)

D: I wish you'd join hangouts!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:22:31 AM
At 1/7/2016 12:30:23 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

If I were to join hangouts and mafia games would that probably help a little bit?

The DDO Blog:

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:34:36 AM
At 1/7/2016 2:22:31 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

If I were to join hangouts and mafia games would that probably help a little bit?

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net...
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 2:40:29 AM
At 1/7/2016 2:34:36 AM, TheProphett wrote:

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net...

Wrong thread

The DDO Blog:

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 4:26:56 AM

former foe who unlike many other foes ive tried running off the site actually stuck around, got his sh** together to now be a pretty decent member around here, or at the very least is not a negative member anymore.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 5:06:27 AM
DDO can be very cliqueish which has to be off-putting for people who aren't fully "in". I think you'd find you are FAR from the only person to feel that way and for what it's worth I like you and would notice if you left
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 5:18:31 AM
You care too much what other people think.

If you don't feel included in call-out threads, start you own. If it's an interesting topic, people will comment. Boom, now you're more popular.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 7:12:08 PM

You are literally the example of an "ideal" user on the site that is quickly fading due to this site breaking down and becoming a social media site.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 4:49:39 PM
I've been here for over 2 years yet I feel like if I left today nobody would really notice. I see users here who've been around half as long as I have but they're really popular among that "clique" which hangs out in the Debate.org Forum whereas I'm not at all (though I do try to give an effort to socialize there a bit). I see all these positive call-outs and I'm generally not included in any of them.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. I don't belong to any cliques either, and I've never belonged in a clique in any other site or IRL. Nothing wrong with being... yourself *smiles*

With that said, I'm thinking (not promising, just considering, because I see obvious drawbacks as well) doing a shoutout on my 2000th post and if I do, I'll probaby include you.
I obviously do not know the reason why but whoever was assigned to me during the secret Santa thing this Christmas season didn't bother preparing anything for me (though I did prepare a little something for the person who I was assigned to). This person may've had a good reason but still.
You have my permission to be completely honest here: what am I to this community? What do you think of me?
I second what others have said. You contribute a lot to discussion, and while you may not be inclined to write lengthy posts (as some of us, including myself, often do), you often stimulate discussion by pointing out things that the OP or others have missed, or add something extra for others to consider. I may not always agree with you, but your presence is always positive.

Also, you're one of the few people who often respond to my threads, and it's greatly appreciated :P
Am I doing something wrong?
No, not at all. Just be yourself :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:47:34 AM

Very much so.
Suh dude

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:52:02 AM
At 1/9/2016 2:47:34 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Very much so.

I actually joined one the other night; ask Bballcrook.

The DDO Blog:

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 2:54:21 AM
At 1/9/2016 2:52:02 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Very much so.

Cool. I should, but I've never been attracted to it. I just stay in Mafia. You should give it a try.
Suh dude

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 3:47:48 AM
At 1/9/2016 2:54:21 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/9/2016 2:52:02 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Very much so.

Cool. I should, but I've never been attracted to it. I just stay in Mafia. You should give it a try.

I did participate once but it turns out I suck at Mafia.

The DDO Blog:

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 3:49:53 AM
At 1/9/2016 3:47:48 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I did participate once but it turns out I suck at Mafia.

Try bsh's Beginner Series. I used to suck, but I got better. It just takes time.
Suh dude