Jump to topic:

Medical Help for Anxiety Issues

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 2:46:09 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Has anyone here had problems with anxiety in the past? I have for sometime now, and I am starting to look into getting medical help for my anxiety.

If you have had experience with anxiety and getting medical help for it have some questions.

Have you done therapy?
If so, has therapy helped you?

Would you recommend therapy?

Have you taken anxiety medication?

Does medication help you to cope with anxiety?

Are there any drawbacks to taking anxiety medication?

I would appreciate feedback.
Nolite Timere
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 2:52:40 AM
One of my closest friends had extremely severe anxiety issues, to the point that she would have anxiety attacks all the time and just shut down. Therapy did not help much--though it may in your case--but medication solved almost all of her problems overnight. It was like night and day.

Getting medicine for mental illnesses frankly terrifies me but there are many times where it's by far the right choice. You should see a professional and get their advice, though
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 2:55:12 AM
At 1/8/2016 2:46:09 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Has anyone here had problems with anxiety in the past? I have for sometime now, and I am starting to look into getting medical help for my anxiety.

If you have had experience with anxiety and getting medical help for it have some questions.

Have you done therapy?

Yes, very much so.

Yes

Yes

I take two different ones, a daily pill that helps keep me mellow and a rescue pill for anxiety attacks. Both help significantly.

There are side effects to all meds, depends on what you take. for me the worst draw back was overcoming my anxiety about pills to take pills... (no I am not joking.)
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 3:03:15 AM
At 1/8/2016 2:52:40 AM, thett3 wrote:
One of my closest friends had extremely severe anxiety issues, to the point that she would have anxiety attacks all the time and just shut down.

Think goodness I am not at that point.

Therapy did not help much

It must depend on the case, because from the people I have talked to who have dealt with anxiety, I have been told that therapy helped more than medication.

--though it may in your case--but medication solved almost all of her problems overnight. It was like night and day.

Getting medicine for mental illnesses frankly terrifies me but there are many times where it's by far the right choice. You should see a professional and get their advice, though

My concern about using medication is that i do not want to feel like I am dependent on it. That is why I am interested in a mix of therapy and medicine.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 3:04:07 AM
At 1/8/2016 2:55:12 AM, kasmic wrote:

Have you done therapy?

Yes, very much so.

Yes

Yes

I take two different ones, a daily pill that helps keep me mellow and a rescue pill for anxiety attacks. Both help significantly.

What is this "rescue pill?"

There are side effects to all meds, depends on what you take. for me the worst draw back was overcoming my anxiety about pills to take pills... (no I am not joking.)
Nolite Timere
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 3:08:00 AM
At 1/8/2016 3:03:15 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
One of my closest friends had extremely severe anxiety issues, to the point that she would have anxiety attacks all the time and just shut down.

It must depend on the case, because from the people I have talked to who have dealt with anxiety, I have been told that therapy helped more than medication.

Well I think a part of her problem was an unwillingness to open up. If you won't talk, there's really nothing they can do for you. I guess she must've eventually opened up enough to get a prescription but I don't think she used to to its full potential

--though it may in your case--but medication solved almost all of her problems overnight. It was like night and day.

My concern about using medication is that i do not want to feel like I am dependent on it. That is why I am interested in a mix of therapy and medicine.

I totally, totally get that man. But way worse than that is to do nothing and let it grow worse. You're doing the right thing by seeking help and a profession will be able to talk about all your concerns with you
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 3:15:47 AM
At 1/8/2016 3:08:00 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/8/2016 3:03:15 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Well I think a part of her problem was an unwillingness to open up. If you won't talk, there's really nothing they can do for you. I guess she must've eventually opened up enough to get a prescription but I don't think she used to to its full potential

Fortunately I am very open to talking about my anxiety. I have already gone to others about it and just talking about it helps me a lot. I have also already analyzed what causes me anxiety. I think my own insights in addition to my willingness to talk about my anxiety could potentially make therapy a successful option.

I totally, totally get that man. But way worse than that is to do nothing and let it grow worse. You're doing the right thing by seeking help and a profession will be able to talk about all your concerns with you

The things is, I have been dealing with anxiety for years. It has definitely been a terrible burden, but I have been able to cope with it myself. This year however I have been under a lot of stress (good stress, but stress nevertheless) which causes my anxiety to skyrocket. I'm not looking to seek professional help because I think it is totally necessary in order for me to live my life, but I think it could help me tremendously. I figure that after dealing with anxiety for this many years it would be foolish to not look into getting some professional help for it since it is clearly a mental and medical condition for me.
Nolite Timere
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 4:25:48 AM

Have you done therapy?

I would appreciate feedback.

I have not experienced anxiety problems. That said, therapy is rarely a bad choice and I advocate it fully and broadly.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 9:29:05 PM
honestly you should try everything that makes sense to you and your doctor, just because you start on medication doesn't mean you will always need it, sometimes there are short courses of medication you can try until you can "handle" it on your own with therapy, but do something sooner than later. don't be afraid to switch doctors either, explore every avenue you can, use what works for you discard the rest, never stop seeking, things change, there's always something new, tons of resources online and at the library.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2016 10:19:24 PM
Have you done therapy?

Yes.

Depends on the therapy and therapist. I've done everything from CBT to Freudian psychoanalysis. Different therapies help in different ways and to different extents. Whatever you do, I recommend at least a couple sessions of psychoanalysis; it doesn't have to be with a Freudian (I've done analysis with a couple different folks and no matter the context, it has been the most life-changing of any therapy I've done). I'd be happy to talk more about that with you in a PM, if you have any interest.

See above.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I've taken a few different medications, and each of them had negative effects on important parts of my life. The withdrawals from most of these medications (e.g. SSRIs and Xanax) are on par with withdrawals from heroin. So I'd use them only if your anxiety is so bad that you can't get yourself to go to therapy without having a panic attack. And I'd stop using it within a couple months, as therapy starts to help you deal with panic attacks without medication.

I'd also try theanine before you go to medications. It's an amino acid that has a calming effect. It's not as strong as the medications you'll get, and it's not very long-lasting, but it'll help at least somewhat. Even though I've gotten over the vast majority of my anxiety issues, I still take theanine quite often, especially when doing things that I know cause me anxiety (e.g. taking an airplane).

The other thing I'd try, and you're probably not going to believe me on this, is MDMA. I wouldn't do it randomly, but if you do it therapeutically, intelligently, it has so much potential to help you overcome anxiety issues. For me, it opened my mind to an entire new way of being. The first time I took it was the first time I ever actually felt my anxiety subside, and just having that experience really helps after-the-fact in terms of knowing what's possible, and knowing how you should feel, and just the memory of the experience helps you get through sometimes. Or at least it did for me.