Jump to topic:

What's your ideal life?

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 10:17:02 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Assuming you had the financial security to sustain yourself, what would your ideal life be?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 10:34:43 PM
Full time powerlifter with as many kids as possible.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2016 10:55:15 PM
At 1/9/2016 10:17:02 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Assuming you had the financial security to sustain yourself, what would your ideal life be?

Idk tbh, like, wife, kids, house, beer, occasionally mary Jane, and entertainment?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 2:43:51 AM

Beautiful wife, three kids, a few mistresses, live in Spain, have my own olive oil estate, spend my days strolling around the olive groves, hiking mountains, tasting quality olive oils and wines, eating exceptional seafood from the Mediterranean, occasionally dropping acid in Ibiza, never having to worry about money (i.e. rich enough to never worry).
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 2:47:29 AM
I'd win this PowerBall, move to Europe with Tulle, have some kids, and become a family of fit, active, and social big-time researchers.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 3:08:10 AM
At 1/10/2016 2:47:29 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I'd win this PowerBall, move to Europe with Tulle, have some kids, and become a family of fit, active, and social big-time researchers.

Dude, if you move to Spain, we can be neighbors, play mafia on the weekends.

Actually, let me amend my ideal life - all the cool mafia players on this site would live near me and regularly meet up for live mafia games.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 3:26:12 AM
At 1/10/2016 3:08:10 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

Actually, let me amend my ideal life - all the cool mafia players on this site would live near me and regularly meet up for live mafia games.

Haha hell yeah. Live mafia on one of our yachts.
- lamerde

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 3:39:17 AM
It's all about Spain I see...

My ideal life is living in my own nice house, with my own nice car, and with no kids.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 4:19:58 AM
At 1/10/2016 3:08:10 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

I can agree with this, and would like to amend mine to include this as well.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 4:46:24 AM
A quiet life - no family, no wife, no kids, etc. Probably move to somewhere with privacy and a lot of natural beauty. Live with a cat and a dog, with someone to take care of them. Learn to cook, and spend my life writing books and columns in newspapers/magazines.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 5:33:10 AM

What's yours? Then I'll tell you mine :P
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 5:36:13 AM
Mine would be: Graduate from an ivy league college, top executive in a tech-related fortune 500 company, living near a city, no kids and a sufficient amount of money.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 5:49:49 AM
At 1/10/2016 4:46:24 AM, tejretics wrote:
A quiet life - no family, no wife, no kids, etc. Probably move to somewhere with privacy and a lot of natural beauty. Live with a cat and a dog, with someone to take care of them. Learn to cook, and spend my life writing books and columns in newspapers/magazines.

Would you meet any of your friends though, or live completely isolated?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 6:14:56 AM

When I've got a husband and a family, I'd like to travel a lot... like, four weeks in a new country every year for vacation; maybe two weeks in the summer and two weeks in the winter... just kind of working my way around the world.

On the weekends, or for a couple of years, I might be down to be a beach bum in Florida or California (or both).

I'd like to own a restaurant (or a couple of them) as a hobby.... a steak house, and a deli, probably. Both are important (lunch and dinner... the only meals I eat really).

Through the week, I'd like to do a whole bunch of different things... dabble in politics behind the scenes (which I kind of have already done), practice law, work with high school and college students in some way, trade stocks, and generally do a lot of the same stuff I do now, just more of it, and bigger.

Stuff with people, and lots of them.... some close friends, and a generally wide spread.

And some solitary stuff too.... like being a beach bum, studying architecture (like, learning how to do it), and I'd love to take up sailing.

Yachts are kind of classless.... they just scream money. Sailing is really what I'd be interested in, but not really sailing long distances... only short distances.

Skiing in France or Switzerland or Colorado would be cool. I'd like to own stock in a cattle ranch too, maybe in Montana. (I've always really liked Montana.)
Tsar of DDO
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 6:16:58 AM

To be honest, my ideal life would not be dependent on my financial security. Instead, to be able to attain that inner-peace described in the world religions would be the most ideal. Maybe that's a bit silly to some people, but I think that'd be the best life.

"Health is the greatest of gifts, contentment is the greatest wealth; trust is the best of relationships. Nirvana is the highest happiness."
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 6:21:11 AM
At 1/10/2016 3:39:17 AM, Emilrose wrote:

- I've been to Spain. Well, Madrid. It's been nice. Too may tanned skinny people with too much to say.

My ideal life is living in my own nice house, with my own nice car, and with no kids.

- Why no kids?!!!!!!! Just look at this: https://www.google.com...
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 6:22:21 AM
At 1/10/2016 6:16:58 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

To be honest, my ideal life would not be dependent on my financial security. Instead, to be able to attain that inner-peace described in the world religions would be the most ideal. Maybe that's a bit silly to some people, but I think that'd be the best life.

"Health is the greatest of gifts, contentment is the greatest wealth; trust is the best of relationships. Nirvana is the highest happiness."

+1
Current Debates:

spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 7:09:32 AM
At 1/10/2016 6:16:58 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I saw this thread a couple hours ago, and this was the first thing that came to mind, but I didn't say anything precisely because I thought it would probably sound silly to many people (most DDOers aren't spiritually-inclined). But now that you've said it... +1
Call me King Pootie Tang.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 7:27:22 AM

This is doable.
- lamerde

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 10:36:29 AM
At 1/10/2016 7:27:22 AM, Maikuru wrote:

This is doable.

Yes
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 10:40:56 AM
At 1/10/2016 5:49:49 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Would you meet any of your friends though, or live completely isolated?

I never said isolated. I said someplace "with privacy." That has nothing to do with isolation. I'm just talking about a place with natural beauty, and with "privacy" like something a bit more quiet than city life, perhaps. But nothing that's not doable. This is just a straw man of what I said. Just a quiet life spent writing books. I live a "quiet life" now -- it doesn't mean I stay away from friends or am isolated; I live in a city.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 10:45:45 AM
Travel the world, try new things. Figure out what truth is and who the heck I am. Meditate on the nature of our existence.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 12:41:05 PM
At 1/10/2016 5:31:03 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
and with no kids.

I agree, raising kids are annoying and time consuming ^_^

Totally ;)
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 12:44:24 PM
At 1/10/2016 6:21:11 AM, Yassine wrote:

- I've been to Spain. Well, Madrid. It's been nice. Too may tanned skinny people with too much to say.

Hmm, usually it's complete nonsense. Personally I prefer Barcelona (and definitely the South of Spain) to Madrid.

- Why no kids?!!!!!!! Just look at this: https://www.google.com...

Naw...besides, they don't stay like that ;)

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 3:56:55 PM
At 1/10/2016 12:44:24 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Hmm, usually it's complete nonsense. Personally I prefer Barcelona (and definitely the South of Spain) to Madrid.

- I am planning on visiting those places at some point. I have many friends in Spain, & most live in the south.

Naw...besides, they don't stay like that ;)

- Now, why wouldn't you like to have kids?!
Current Debates:

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 4:52:02 PM
Settle down somewhere quite on the Mediterranean with a nice guy. Live my life entirely in swim trunks. Build up a sizable library, and tour the wine regions of the world. Always have a nice bottle of cognac on the shelf. Learn how to sail. Own a lot of silk scarves.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 5:24:22 PM
So I would want to live anywhere - anywhere I can be isolated and live away from everyone but a small few. I don't like interaction, and I don't want interaction. I'd much rather be left alone, so I could live comfortably without the bullsh!t that is brought about by others.

I had aspirations to be a lawyer, but I'm questioning that. It's not that it doesn't intrigue me - it's that I don't think I can function trying to live a normal life.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2016 5:54:48 PM
At 1/10/2016 5:33:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:

What's yours? Then I'll tell you mine :P

Post 29.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King