Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Have you lost faith in humanity?

Black-Jesus
Posts: 60
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 4:41:32 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I just experienced what it's like to lose faith in the human race when I was cruising around social media and found quiet possibly one of the dumbest ba$stard$ I've ever had the displeasure of meeting on the internet (and that is REALLY saying something) and then I found out that he is a youth minister. That's right: he molds young minds, teaches people, leads people, and he's dumber than a rock.

So, I wanna ask you if you guys have lost your faith and, if so, how and when?
Vote on my newest debate(s):
Earth: Spherical vs Flat: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 5:23:42 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 4:41:32 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:
I just experienced what it's like to lose faith in the human race when I was cruising around social media and found quiet possibly one of the dumbest ba$stard$ I've ever had the displeasure of meeting on the internet (and that is REALLY saying something) and then I found out that he is a youth minister. That's right: he molds young minds, teaches people, leads people, and he's dumber than a rock.

So, I wanna ask you if you guys have lost your faith and, if so, how and when?

I'm surprised it took you this long.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bobby_clarck
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 8:39:55 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I feel very ambigious on this topic. I will try not to generalizing - but i feel that a lot of human beings is on a very wrong track. Sometimes, when doing nothing on the internet, I sometimes stumble across post, that makes me feel like there is really no hope, but I do not feel like this is true.

I think that there is many intelligent and good people out there, and that gives me faith
in humanity, because it proves to me that it is possible. Mankind is the only known race with the complex conciousness that we have, and that gives us endlessly many options, and I think the society that we have created is forming us to act and think in a way that is not sustainable for the planet. This is the status, and in order to change things, we will first off have to change ourselves. That is not an easy thing to do, and since it might be easier and moret comfortable to just keep going the way things are now. To change things, one will have to start with themselves, and thereby abandon safety to rediscover themselves, if you can say it like that, and that will take some courage, but it is possible.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2016 2:13:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Always bet on humanity. If you're right, people will think you're very wise. If you're wrong, nobody will be around to remember.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 7:45:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Can't lose what you never had.

Really though, I'm not going to have any faith in a species that abuses it's youngest members, the law enforcement shoots those it is expected to "protect and serve", and destroys the only planet it exists on. It's really sad, because we're the only species that makes pizza and I don't want it to die out with us.
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 7:56:35 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Yes
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 8:53:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 7:22:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every time I see Trump's poll numbers.

Every time I see a Bernie supporter. Unfortunately, I've seen so many of those mindless bastards that I now I have negative faith in humanity.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 10:39:27 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 7:45:49 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Can't lose what you never had.

It's really sad, because we're the only species that makes pizza and I don't want it to die out with us.

Lord Beerus!? 0.o

http://40.media.tumblr.com...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 10:40:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
bruh, faith in humanity is short lived, anytime someone gives you hope, it gets stripped away by someone else. Just something one eventually has to cope with.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 11:46:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 10:39:27 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/16/2016 7:45:49 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Can't lose what you never had.

It's really sad, because we're the only species that makes pizza and I don't want it to die out with us.

Lord Beerus!? 0.o

http://40.media.tumblr.com...

Omg yes

Also, Hi buddamoose!!
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2016 11:51:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/16/2016 11:46:49 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 1/16/2016 10:39:27 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 1/16/2016 7:45:49 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Can't lose what you never had.

It's really sad, because we're the only species that makes pizza and I don't want it to die out with us.

Lord Beerus!? 0.o

http://40.media.tumblr.com...

Omg yes

Also, Hi buddamoose!!

lol hello, long time no see zombeh
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 12:01:34 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 7:22:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every time I see Trump's poll numbers.

It's so depressing every time I remember he's only at 36%
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 12:22:30 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 4:41:32 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:
I just experienced what it's like to lose faith in the human race when I was cruising around social media and found quiet possibly one of the dumbest ba$stard$ I've ever had the displeasure of meeting on the internet (and that is REALLY saying something) and then I found out that he is a youth minister. That's right: he molds young minds, teaches people, leads people, and he's dumber than a rock.

So, I wanna ask you if you guys have lost your faith and, if so, how and when?

The short answer: no.

When I was younger (and probably more cold, snide and judgmental than I am now), there were many events which I was either a part of, or which I bore witness to, that I regarded at the time as enough to cause me to lose faith in humanity. When ISIS was crucifying and beheading children and the United States did nothing was one such occasion. It literally hurt me to watch the news, and I made a number of posts about that in the forums which I'm sure people could find. I think that's kind of akin to what my parents felt like when Bosnia was taking place in the 1990s.

One of the things that you start to internalize when you study the three three glooms (international relations, political science and military history) is that, as a rule, whenever people with guns fight each other in ways that involve weapons, many innocent people die. It hurts to think about. War, and especially civil wars (because they directly and necessarily involve civilian populations) is the kind of thing that, even if you observe it, to the extent that you understand it, could be enough to make you lose faith in humanity. And there is so much of it.

But there are often greater goods that wars bring about; political revolution, democratic reform, and the like. War may be horrible, but it is also politics by other means, which means that it can be used for good, and it may bring a higher good about. The innocent people who are killed in the crossfire, whose lives cannot simply be written off as the costs of achieving ends, do nevertheless die sometimes of necessity. A just military strategist will do everything in his power to minimize civilian deaths, but will nevertheless lead troops into battle where battle must take place.

I say all of that to say this: war is perhaps the most awful thing in human existence which has the capacity to also bring about good. Genocide is probably the most awful thing in existence period, and there is no world in which it brings about good. But even in the aftermath of war or genocide, peace follows; war itself is only temporal. At the end of it, there is space for humanity's restoration. This is not, however to justify or excuse war in a general sense, by any measure. It is to say that even despite the fact that war and genocide take place, faith in humanity should not be lost.

We encounter every day acts of depravity and evil. It could be a psychopathic psychologist, a deviant and corrupt politician on the news, or a malevolent boss or teacher who seem to delight in the suffering of others. It could be a friend who betrayed us, a parent who abused us, a co-worker who lied about us, or a minister who lied to us. It could be a motivational speaker who preys on the vulnerability of those who are downtrodden; a scammer who orchestrates elaborate schemes to steal from the elderly; a sexual predator who exploits women and/or children, but who appears on the surface to be anything other than he is.

But, there is tremendous good in the world as well. People who go out of their way to help others in ways big and small. Medical doctors who save lives. Lawyers who defend the weak. Businessmen who use their money and resources to build communities. Police who stop crime. Teachers who open hearts and minds. Craftsmen who keep society functioning. The list of good is far longer than the list of woe.
Tsar of DDO
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 12:37:09 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 7:22:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every time I see Trump's poll numbers.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
thett3
Posts: 14,348
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 3:33:33 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 12:37:09 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 7:22:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every time I see Trump's poll numbers.

Me too. They're so much lower than they should be
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 3:34:42 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 3:33:33 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 1/17/2016 12:37:09 AM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 1/15/2016 7:22:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every time I see Trump's poll numbers.

Me too. They're so much lower than they should be

lol
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 3:43:06 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 4:41:32 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:
I just experienced what it's like to lose faith in the human race when I was cruising around social media and found quiet possibly one of the dumbest ba$stard$ I've ever had the displeasure of meeting on the internet (and that is REALLY saying something) and then I found out that he is a youth minister. That's right: he molds young minds, teaches people, leads people, and he's dumber than a rock.

So, I wanna ask you if you guys have lost your faith and, if so, how and when?

It's a lot easier to focus on the negative than the positive.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 6:34:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Whenever you judge by the Internet, the answer is (almost) always going to be yes. This is because the Internet introduces a deviation of the Ivory Tower effect. You're sitting in a dark room with a single window, and through that window, all you see is stupidity, depravity, and travesty. None of this directly affects you. In fact, you're removed from it. Outside it. Above it. But what you don't realize is that the walls of the room conceal the larger story from you. Remove those, and you see that the window only offered a small glimpse of a much larger, much more complex and intricate puzzle. As you merge into that world, you see its peaks of human happiness and valleys of human despair all come together.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 6:52:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 4:41:32 AM, Black-Jesus wrote:
I just experienced what it's like to lose faith in the human race when I was cruising around social media and found quiet possibly one of the dumbest ba$stard$ I've ever had the displeasure of meeting on the internet (and that is REALLY saying something) and then I found out that he is a youth minister. That's right: he molds young minds, teaches people, leads people, and he's dumber than a rock.

So, I wanna ask you if you guys have lost your faith and, if so, how and when?

I don't have faith in much of anything. The world is cold, mechanical place shrouded in pleasant illusions, but there is a sort of beauty to be found even in that.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 7:39:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/15/2016 2:13:09 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Always bet on humanity. If you're right, people will think you're very wise. If you're wrong, nobody will be around to remember.

^^^^
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 7:41:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 6:34:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Whenever you judge by the Internet, the answer is (almost) always going to be yes. This is because the Internet introduces a deviation of the Ivory Tower effect. You're sitting in a dark room with a single window, and through that window, all you see is stupidity, depravity, and travesty. None of this directly affects you. In fact, you're removed from it. Outside it. Above it. But what you don't realize is that the walls of the room conceal the larger story from you. Remove those, and you see that the window only offered a small glimpse of a much larger, much more complex and intricate puzzle. As you merge into that world, you see its peaks of human happiness and valleys of human despair all come together.

This is truly poetic. Great response.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 7:53:46 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/18/2016 7:41:29 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/18/2016 6:34:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Whenever you judge by the Internet, the answer is (almost) always going to be yes. This is because the Internet introduces a deviation of the Ivory Tower effect. You're sitting in a dark room with a single window, and through that window, all you see is stupidity, depravity, and travesty. None of this directly affects you. In fact, you're removed from it. Outside it. Above it. But what you don't realize is that the walls of the room conceal the larger story from you. Remove those, and you see that the window only offered a small glimpse of a much larger, much more complex and intricate puzzle. As you merge into that world, you see its peaks of human happiness and valleys of human despair all come together.

This is truly poetic. Great response.

I appreciate you saying that. Thank you.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:28:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
"Have you lost faith in humanity?" Absolutely yes. I trust only individuals to do the right thing. Humanity never does the right thing until millions are slaughtered raped robbed and tutored and even then humanity forgets what it learned the very next day.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2016 8:34:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/20/2016 8:28:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
"Have you lost faith in humanity?" Absolutely yes. I trust only individuals to do the right thing. Humanity never does the right thing until millions are slaughtered raped robbed and tutored and even then humanity forgets what it learned the very next day.

Look at Germany, They learned nothing from history. They are now importing the very same ally and similar genocidal culture that Hitler had during WW2.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 5:26:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/17/2016 12:01:34 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 1/15/2016 7:22:36 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every time I see Trump's poll numbers.

It's so depressing every time I remember he's only at 36%

Zing!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 5:27:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Seriously, though, I wouldn't say I ever had "faith" in humanity. I trust in myself and my loved ones while hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
piglet292
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 12:16:25 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/18/2016 7:41:29 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/18/2016 6:34:59 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Whenever you judge by the Internet, the answer is (almost) always going to be yes. This is because the Internet introduces a deviation of the Ivory Tower effect. You're sitting in a dark room with a single window, and through that window, all you see is stupidity, depravity, and travesty. None of this directly affects you. In fact, you're removed from it. Outside it. Above it. But what you don't realize is that the walls of the room conceal the larger story from you. Remove those, and you see that the window only offered a small glimpse of a much larger, much more complex and intricate puzzle. As you merge into that world, you see its peaks of human happiness and valleys of human despair all come together.

This is truly poetic. Great response.

I quite agree with Blade-Of-Truth. EndarkenedRationalist - you've nailed it with your comment. A pleasure to read.
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute.
Kbelle23
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 2:15:44 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
"Never speak disrespectively of society, Algernon. Only people who can't get into it do that" - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest.

I'm sure this is true not just for society, but humanity too.