Jump to topic:

My few months at Catholic school

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 8:25:54 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
So for high school, I switched from public school to a Catholic school. I can say this as a gay, lower middle class (depending on how you define it), social democrat:

This was the worst few months socially I've ever experienced.

I wasn't bullied. People left me alone. And in a way, I liked that for a bit. But it was perpetual loneliness far worse than what I experienced in public school that began to make me question why I went to this school. Then I considered the grading scale. The grading scale was 7 points, versus my public school's 10, so my GPA has taken a 0.7 point hit. Then, I consider extra-curricular options - I can do sports (physically incapable), pro-life clubs, clubs for foreign language classes, but meanwhile there's no debate team, nothing that interests me, and overall the selection is well below par.

The teachers actually give less of a sh!t than the public school. I frankly think it's because they just aren't held accountable for egregious failure in teaching. If someone fails 10 out of 20 kids in a class it's the kids' faults for not listening. They don't have to care, and so why should they?

But the social aspect is damning. I have one friend there - who is in one of my classes - only because he also comes from the same public school, and I knew him for over 10 years. But, that's the thing with private school systems. All of the social groups of the school knew each other, and were well-established. To be in Catholic school, you need to already know the entirety of the population, and you need to be carbon copies of their ideals and interests to be friends with such groups. I mean, everyone there is snobbish, rich, bland, and heavily indoctrinated. That's not my type of people I like being around.

And so, after my exams this week I'm going to switch back to public school - where my friends are enough to keep me happy at least some of the time.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 9:18:13 PM
At 1/18/2016 8:25:54 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
So for high school, I switched from public school to a Catholic school. I can say this as a gay, lower middle class (depending on how you define it), social democrat:

I wasn't bullied. People left me alone. And in a way, I liked that for a bit. But it was perpetual loneliness far worse than what I experienced in public school that began to make me question why I went to this school. Then I considered the grading scale. The grading scale was 7 points, versus my public school's 10, so my GPA has taken a 0.7 point hit. Then, I consider extra-curricular options - I can do sports (physically incapable), pro-life clubs, clubs for foreign language classes, but meanwhile there's no debate team, nothing that interests me, and overall the selection is well below par.

The teachers actually give less of a sh!t than the public school. I frankly think it's because they just aren't held accountable for egregious failure in teaching. If someone fails 10 out of 20 kids in a class it's the kids' faults for not listening. They don't have to care, and so why should they?

But the social aspect is damning. I have one friend there - who is in one of my classes - only because he also comes from the same public school, and I knew him for over 10 years. But, that's the thing with private school systems. All of the social groups of the school knew each other, and were well-established. To be in Catholic school, you need to already know the entirety of the population, and you need to be carbon copies of their ideals and interests to be friends with such groups. I mean, everyone there is snobbish, rich, bland, and heavily indoctrinated. That's not my type of people I like being around.

And so, after my exams this week I'm going to switch back to public school - where my friends are enough to keep me happy at least some of the time.

Are you Canadian?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 9:18:35 PM

And you went to this school because...? (You imply it was a choice with that latter last part).
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 9:24:29 PM
At 1/18/2016 9:18:13 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Are you Canadian?

Shh, How do you expect us to take over the site when your all exposing us!
"Change your sig."
~YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 9:33:21 PM
At 1/18/2016 9:18:35 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
And you went to this school because...? (You imply it was a choice with that latter last part).

Because I had plenty problems with the public school, and I wanted to get away from them.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 11:05:45 PM
My ex girlfriend had a similar experience switching from a Catholic to public highschool. She said the people in public school were just generally friendlier. I guess there's just something about the atmosphere in a Catholic school.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.