Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Borderline Personality Disorder

TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 2:56:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
So I know a guy, who knows a co-worker....

This co-worker, who will henceforth known as "Guy", has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and PTSD. There was a brief explanation given as to what this is and entails and I'm curious for a little more details.

For instance, if I had to watch after Guy what's the best way to go about supportive conversations, activities, etc. to help them transition?

What specifically is borderline personality disorder?

Can it lead to other disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)?

If I can think of anything else or other questions I'll post them here. Looking for any advice for someone who might've dealt with something like this before or something similar.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 4:17:41 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/21/2016 2:56:29 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So I know a guy, who knows a co-worker....

This co-worker, who will henceforth known as "Guy", has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and PTSD. There was a brief explanation given as to what this is and entails and I'm curious for a little more details.

For instance, if I had to watch after Guy what's the best way to go about supportive conversations, activities, etc. to help them transition?

What specifically is borderline personality disorder?

Can it lead to other disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)?

If I can think of anything else or other questions I'll post them here. Looking for any advice for someone who might've dealt with something like this before or something similar.

Emotionally unstable personality disorder, or more commonly borderline personality disorder, is characterized by unstable, intense interpersonal relationships, impulsiveness that is potentially self-damaging, unstable mood, inappropriate and uncontrolled anger, persistent identity disturbance (I am, I'm not, etc.), feelings of emptiness and boredom, go through extreme efforts to avoid abandonment, have stress-related paranoid ideation, and also possibly have recurrent suicidal threats.

Borderline is extremely serious and also extremely difficult to treat. Treating borderline patients is not a task for the faint of heart, which is probably why your therapist didn't try. Patients are extremely demanding in term of the therapist's time and energy. Borderline, as far as I know, does not lead to any other disorders, but certain disorders can lead to borderline. Generally, borderline is triggered by epigenetics (environmental factors cause certain genes to "unlock") and certain, usually traumatic, environmental experiences in early childhood and throughout life. However, borderline can be co-morbid with other disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder. As for dealing with someone with borderline, they generally cannot be reasoned with so it's pretty much their way or the highway. If you do try really hard, however, you can "break them", which will cause them to become consciously aware of it and start freaking out before returning to their previous state. So, my advise is to be extremely careful around them to not set them off.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 5:10:38 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/21/2016 4:17:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/21/2016 2:56:29 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So I know a guy, who knows a co-worker....

This co-worker, who will henceforth known as "Guy", has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and PTSD. There was a brief explanation given as to what this is and entails and I'm curious for a little more details.

For instance, if I had to watch after Guy what's the best way to go about supportive conversations, activities, etc. to help them transition?

What specifically is borderline personality disorder?

Can it lead to other disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)?

If I can think of anything else or other questions I'll post them here. Looking for any advice for someone who might've dealt with something like this before or something similar.

Emotionally unstable personality disorder, or more commonly borderline personality disorder, is characterized by unstable, intense interpersonal relationships, impulsiveness that is potentially self-damaging, unstable mood, inappropriate and uncontrolled anger, persistent identity disturbance (I am, I'm not, etc.), feelings of emptiness and boredom, go through extreme efforts to avoid abandonment, have stress-related paranoid ideation, and also possibly have recurrent suicidal threats.

Borderline is extremely serious and also extremely difficult to treat. Treating borderline patients is not a task for the faint of heart, which is probably why your therapist didn't try. Patients are extremely demanding in term of the therapist's time and energy. Borderline, as far as I know, does not lead to any other disorders, but certain disorders can lead to borderline. Generally, borderline is triggered by epigenetics (environmental factors cause certain genes to "unlock") and certain, usually traumatic, environmental experiences in early childhood and throughout life. However, borderline can be co-morbid with other disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder. As for dealing with someone with borderline, they generally cannot be reasoned with so it's pretty much their way or the highway. If you do try really hard, however, you can "break them", which will cause them to become consciously aware of it and start freaking out before returning to their previous state. So, my advise is to be extremely careful around them to not set them off.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with a lot of what's going on as well as the reasons for it. Guy had a rough childhood....really, really rough. It's not that the therapist didn't want to treat him because Guy has gone to see a lot of different ones. Guy got sent to a world renown psycho-therapy center in Houston, Texas for like 3-4 weeks for treatment and still hasn't recovered. The medical bills are currently totaling around $600K.

Some guys, including myself, have to keep watch on Guy because he's attempted suicide twice now and my shift runs three days from 0700-1900. I was also wanting to see if something like....going to the zoo or something could be beneficial. Any advice on that end?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2016 8:58:36 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/21/2016 5:10:38 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 1/21/2016 4:17:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/21/2016 2:56:29 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So I know a guy, who knows a co-worker....

This co-worker, who will henceforth known as "Guy", has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and PTSD. There was a brief explanation given as to what this is and entails and I'm curious for a little more details.

For instance, if I had to watch after Guy what's the best way to go about supportive conversations, activities, etc. to help them transition?

What specifically is borderline personality disorder?

Can it lead to other disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)?

If I can think of anything else or other questions I'll post them here. Looking for any advice for someone who might've dealt with something like this before or something similar.

Emotionally unstable personality disorder, or more commonly borderline personality disorder, is characterized by unstable, intense interpersonal relationships, impulsiveness that is potentially self-damaging, unstable mood, inappropriate and uncontrolled anger, persistent identity disturbance (I am, I'm not, etc.), feelings of emptiness and boredom, go through extreme efforts to avoid abandonment, have stress-related paranoid ideation, and also possibly have recurrent suicidal threats.

Borderline is extremely serious and also extremely difficult to treat. Treating borderline patients is not a task for the faint of heart, which is probably why your therapist didn't try. Patients are extremely demanding in term of the therapist's time and energy. Borderline, as far as I know, does not lead to any other disorders, but certain disorders can lead to borderline. Generally, borderline is triggered by epigenetics (environmental factors cause certain genes to "unlock") and certain, usually traumatic, environmental experiences in early childhood and throughout life. However, borderline can be co-morbid with other disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder. As for dealing with someone with borderline, they generally cannot be reasoned with so it's pretty much their way or the highway. If you do try really hard, however, you can "break them", which will cause them to become consciously aware of it and start freaking out before returning to their previous state. So, my advise is to be extremely careful around them to not set them off.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with a lot of what's going on as well as the reasons for it. Guy had a rough childhood....really, really rough. It's not that the therapist didn't want to treat him because Guy has gone to see a lot of different ones. Guy got sent to a world renown psycho-therapy center in Houston, Texas for like 3-4 weeks for treatment and still hasn't recovered. The medical bills are currently totaling around $600K.

Some guys, including myself, have to keep watch on Guy because he's attempted suicide twice now and my shift runs three days from 0700-1900. I was also wanting to see if something like....going to the zoo or something could be beneficial. Any advice on that end?

They have abandonment issues, like I mentioned, so I think spending time with them helps. As for the zoo, it really depends on what their personality is like. He could find it boring, offensive, scary, fun, sexually exciting, etc., and I don't know enough about him to draw a conclusion like that. They are very financially and emotionally dependent on other people, so you have to be careful with that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 6:19:46 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/21/2016 5:10:38 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 1/21/2016 4:17:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/21/2016 2:56:29 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So I know a guy, who knows a co-worker....

This co-worker, who will henceforth known as "Guy", has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and PTSD. There was a brief explanation given as to what this is and entails and I'm curious for a little more details.

For instance, if I had to watch after Guy what's the best way to go about supportive conversations, activities, etc. to help them transition?

What specifically is borderline personality disorder?

Can it lead to other disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)?

If I can think of anything else or other questions I'll post them here. Looking for any advice for someone who might've dealt with something like this before or something similar.

Emotionally unstable personality disorder, or more commonly borderline personality disorder, is characterized by unstable, intense interpersonal relationships, impulsiveness that is potentially self-damaging, unstable mood, inappropriate and uncontrolled anger, persistent identity disturbance (I am, I'm not, etc.), feelings of emptiness and boredom, go through extreme efforts to avoid abandonment, have stress-related paranoid ideation, and also possibly have recurrent suicidal threats.

Borderline is extremely serious and also extremely difficult to treat. Treating borderline patients is not a task for the faint of heart, which is probably why your therapist didn't try. Patients are extremely demanding in term of the therapist's time and energy. Borderline, as far as I know, does not lead to any other disorders, but certain disorders can lead to borderline. Generally, borderline is triggered by epigenetics (environmental factors cause certain genes to "unlock") and certain, usually traumatic, environmental experiences in early childhood and throughout life. However, borderline can be co-morbid with other disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder. As for dealing with someone with borderline, they generally cannot be reasoned with so it's pretty much their way or the highway. If you do try really hard, however, you can "break them", which will cause them to become consciously aware of it and start freaking out before returning to their previous state. So, my advise is to be extremely careful around them to not set them off.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with a lot of what's going on as well as the reasons for it. Guy had a rough childhood....really, really rough. It's not that the therapist didn't want to treat him because Guy has gone to see a lot of different ones. Guy got sent to a world renown psycho-therapy center in Houston, Texas for like 3-4 weeks for treatment and still hasn't recovered. The medical bills are currently totaling around $600K.

Some guys, including myself, have to keep watch on Guy because he's attempted suicide twice now and my shift runs three days from 0700-1900. I was also wanting to see if something like....going to the zoo or something could be beneficial. Any advice on that end?

The condition isn't something he would necessary "recover" from, but rather he may have received medication to try to alleviate some of his symptoms and techniques to try to address his anxiety and self-harming behaviors. You say he has also been diagnosed with PTSD, which is an unfortunate and potentially dangerous pairing. Both conditions are associated with depression, aggression, social isolation, and suicide. Both conditions can also leave individuals sensitive to certain triggers, which may incite problematic behavior.

You are thoughtful to be thinking about ways to best interact and communicate with him. If he is able to adequately function in day to day activities, then I would simply be mindful of what you know of his mindset and behavior and try to cater your interactions with him accordingly. This would include participating in recreational activities, like trips to the zoo, though I would recommend starting slowly and in as controlled an environment as possible first.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 8:09:48 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Yeah, it's been working out better than I thought. We had a little moment where he suddenly started talking about what his depression was like. Described it like being stuck out in a tornado but he had way more detail. This was in the line at Subway getting a sub, it threw me off. He seemed pretty chill for the rest of the time but made some comments throughout the day that seemed out of character. Overall, it has been a worthwhile experience.
Axonly
Posts: 1,801
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:23:24 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/21/2016 4:17:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/21/2016 2:56:29 PM, TheFlex wrote:
So I know a guy, who knows a co-worker....

This co-worker, who will henceforth known as "Guy", has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and PTSD. There was a brief explanation given as to what this is and entails and I'm curious for a little more details.

For instance, if I had to watch after Guy what's the best way to go about supportive conversations, activities, etc. to help them transition?

What specifically is borderline personality disorder?

Can it lead to other disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)?

If I can think of anything else or other questions I'll post them here. Looking for any advice for someone who might've dealt with something like this before or something similar.

Emotionally unstable personality disorder, or more commonly borderline personality disorder, is characterized by unstable, intense interpersonal relationships, impulsiveness that is potentially self-damaging, unstable mood, inappropriate and uncontrolled anger, persistent identity disturbance (I am, I'm not, etc.), feelings of emptiness and boredom, go through extreme efforts to avoid abandonment, have stress-related paranoid ideation, and also possibly have recurrent suicidal threats.

Borderline is extremely serious and also extremely difficult to treat. Treating borderline patients is not a task for the faint of heart, which is probably why your therapist didn't try. Patients are extremely demanding in term of the therapist's time and energy. Borderline, as far as I know, does not lead to any other disorders, but certain disorders can lead to borderline. Generally, borderline is triggered by epigenetics (environmental factors cause certain genes to "unlock") and certain, usually traumatic, environmental experiences in early childhood and throughout life. However, borderline can be co-morbid with other disorders, such as narcissistic personality disorder. As for dealing with someone with borderline, they generally cannot be reasoned with so it's pretty much their way or the highway. If you do try really hard, however, you can "break them", which will cause them to become consciously aware of it and start freaking out before returning to their previous state. So, my advise is to be extremely careful around them to not set them off.

That was beautiful (Starts crying)
Meh!
Tashasays
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:29:18 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 5:49:07 AM, Wylted wrote:
I think my fiance has BPD. I always end up with girls that have crazy b1tch syndrome.

We get that way after we have babies...also before.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:35:07 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 6:29:18 AM, Tashasays wrote:
At 1/29/2016 5:49:07 AM, Wylted wrote:
I think my fiance has BPD. I always end up with girls that have crazy b1tch syndrome.

We get that way after we have babies...also before.

Thats why I apply spankings liberally
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:37:00 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Can a person with this or something like , schizophrenia . Can the other person be like real good , smart and happy. I think it's suss you can't get something that helps you . Could all these things people get , could it just be a weak mind. Like OCD. If you don't have it , it is easy to think why don't they just stop doing it. All this can be a level of weak mind. And there all the same but they just got names , like schizophrenia , OCD, depression, boarder line.
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 1:12:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 7:37:00 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Can a person with this or something like , schizophrenia . Can the other person be like real good , smart and happy. I think it's suss you can't get something that helps you . Could all these things people get , could it just be a weak mind. Like OCD. If you don't have it , it is easy to think why don't they just stop doing it. All this can be a level of weak mind. And there all the same but they just got names , like schizophrenia , OCD, depression, boarder line.

Well, I can tell you for sure Guy has this from his childhood. From what mental health doctors I've talked to it doesn't lead to something as serious as schizophrenia or something similar.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 1:50:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 1:12:04 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 1/29/2016 7:37:00 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Can a person with this or something like , schizophrenia . Can the other person be like real good , smart and happy. I think it's suss you can't get something that helps you . Could all these things people get , could it just be a weak mind. Like OCD. If you don't have it , it is easy to think why don't they just stop doing it. All this can be a level of weak mind. And there all the same but they just got names , like schizophrenia , OCD, depression, boarder line.

Well, I can tell you for sure Guy has this from his childhood. From what mental health doctors I've talked to it doesn't lead to something as serious as schizophrenia or something similar.

So he could have like a level 3 weak mind. And schizophrenia could be level 7 or something. I don't at all have a clue . I just thought of it like a scale. I know my fair share of people with , can I say mental problems. As we all would. I should not of said nothing for I have not 1bit of advice for you. Sorry man . I've been curious about stuff like that, and wonder why things effect people. This is how mental I am , I wonder if things like being taught how to spell, using numbers . Causes stuff like this. I should shut up now. I might be a level 5 mental.
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 1:51:16 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 1:50:18 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 1/29/2016 1:12:04 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 1/29/2016 7:37:00 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Can a person with this or something like , schizophrenia . Can the other person be like real good , smart and happy. I think it's suss you can't get something that helps you . Could all these things people get , could it just be a weak mind. Like OCD. If you don't have it , it is easy to think why don't they just stop doing it. All this can be a level of weak mind. And there all the same but they just got names , like schizophrenia , OCD, depression, boarder line.

Well, I can tell you for sure Guy has this from his childhood. From what mental health doctors I've talked to it doesn't lead to something as serious as schizophrenia or something similar.

Naw, you're fine. Just asking questions, no harm in that. If you have any others just shoot away.

So he could have like a level 3 weak mind. And schizophrenia could be level 7 or something. I don't at all have a clue . I just thought of it like a scale. I know my fair share of people with , can I say mental problems. As we all would. I should not of said nothing for I have not 1bit of advice for you. Sorry man . I've been curious about stuff like that, and wonder why things effect people. This is how mental I am , I wonder if things like being taught how to spell, using numbers . Causes stuff like this. I should shut up now. I might be a level 5 mental.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 5:29:31 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 1:12:04 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 1/29/2016 7:37:00 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Can a person with this or something like , schizophrenia . Can the other person be like real good , smart and happy. I think it's suss you can't get something that helps you . Could all these things people get , could it just be a weak mind. Like OCD. If you don't have it , it is easy to think why don't they just stop doing it. All this can be a level of weak mind. And there all the same but they just got names , like schizophrenia , OCD, depression, boarder line.

Well, I can tell you for sure Guy has this from his childhood. From what mental health doctors I've talked to it doesn't lead to something as serious as schizophrenia or something similar.

What? Did you not believe me when I said it doesn't lead to other disorders like that?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:26:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/29/2016 5:29:31 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 1/29/2016 1:12:04 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 1/29/2016 7:37:00 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Can a person with this or something like , schizophrenia . Can the other person be like real good , smart and happy. I think it's suss you can't get something that helps you . Could all these things people get , could it just be a weak mind. Like OCD. If you don't have it , it is easy to think why don't they just stop doing it. All this can be a level of weak mind. And there all the same but they just got names , like schizophrenia , OCD, depression, boarder line.

Well, I can tell you for sure Guy has this from his childhood. From what mental health doctors I've talked to it doesn't lead to something as serious as schizophrenia or something similar.

What? Did you not believe me when I said it doesn't lead to other disorders like that?

No, not at all. I had actually went back and included you and Maikuru but I couldn't remember exactly who told me that. I just skimmed the posts and couldn't find it and I thought it might've been one of the mental health doctors Guy was seeing that briefed us about it. Thanks for pointing that out.