Jump to topic:

My Perceptions..

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:39:52 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Starting back to school hasn't been so smooth, and today just puts icing on the cake..

I mentioned in a hangout a few days ago about this guy who was trying to pick me up, then comes to find out he was a felon. My parents got pissed off at me saying " You're too vulnerable" "You're too nice, you need to learn how to be meaner".

My college isn't the safest so to say...you have a variety of people here. While walking to my car, I saw one of my classmates from another class, he looked very nervous, he was sweaty and had dark bags around his eyes, he was acting kind of off, so I thought he may be sick and needed some lunch, and I offerd to drive him somewhere to get food. I was being my typical self, I'm always there to help others.

He started getting ancy in my car, and he reached in his pocket, and pulled out a pocket knife..and threatend to hurt me if I didn't drive to this "location"...I tryed reasoning with him, and talked him out of it, saying he's out of his mind, and he isn't thinking straight, and if he ends up hurting me, he will get in major trouble. He quickly retrieved the knife back into his pocket...

I just want to say I have a reason I'm so sterotypical, and I won't deny the fact I am. I won't talk about the ethnicity, but my perceptions of certain ethnicities are generally true, and today just proved me right..

You can't Fu*king trust anyone..I dropped the guy off at school, and sat there and cryed..why am I so prone to this stuff? Is it because I'm to nice? I can't tell people to just "get the fvck away"...I hate confrontations...
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 12:46:56 AM
I never once have attracted a "normal guy" at school. All of my friends make fun of me saying I'm a mangnet for wierdos, and I don't know if it's because I come off as a weak individual, or what...and it's getting fusturating.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:09:07 AM
What did I get when I was too nice? A bunch of backstabbing jerks as friends and a girl who pretended to give a sh*t about me, started being a jerk, and started sexually harassing me once I stopped liking her.

I don't think you need to tell people to fvck off, just be honest in a more peaceful manner.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:21:34 AM
It doesn't seem as though you're being a little too 'nice'~~that's not a bad thing in itself, but sometimes in life, you really do have to put yourself first. At least as regards people you do not know.

It's something you can actually do without confrontation, one option is to pretend to be really, really stupid (sometimes there's no pretence there in my case), or just be as polite as you can be and merely walk away; which is what I would have done if I was confronted with that guy.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:33:47 AM
At 1/22/2016 12:39:52 AM, Rosalie wrote:
Starting back to school hasn't been so smooth, and today just puts icing on the cake..

I mentioned in a hangout a few days ago about this guy who was trying to pick me up, then comes to find out he was a felon. My parents got pissed off at me saying " You're too vulnerable" "You're too nice, you need to learn how to be meaner".

My college isn't the safest so to say...you have a variety of people here. While walking to my car, I saw one of my classmates from another class, he looked very nervous, he was sweaty and had dark bags around his eyes, he was acting kind of off, so I thought he may be sick and needed some lunch, and I offerd to drive him somewhere to get food. I was being my typical self, I'm always there to help others.

He started getting ancy in my car, and he reached in his pocket, and pulled out a pocket knife..and threatend to hurt me if I didn't drive to this "location"...I tryed reasoning with him, and talked him out of it, saying he's out of his mind, and he isn't thinking straight, and if he ends up hurting me, he will get in major trouble. He quickly retrieved the knife back into his pocket...

I just want to say I have a reason I'm so sterotypical, and I won't deny the fact I am. I won't talk about the ethnicity, but my perceptions of certain ethnicities are generally true, and today just proved me right..

You can't Fu*king trust anyone..I dropped the guy off at school, and sat there and cryed..why am I so prone to this stuff? Is it because I'm to nice? I can't tell people to just "get the fvck away"...I hate confrontations...

Firstly, it's not your fault. Good deeds should be repaid with good deeds, not ones of ill.

Second, the proper response to that situation would have been to call the police immediately, as the next victim might not have been as convincing as you were.

Lastly, I truly hope that you're okay, and nothing bad happened. The best way to get over this is to read up on Objectivism, or something along those lines :) Analyze the situation, and if it's not your best self-interest, don't help.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:35:06 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:09:07 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
What did I get when I was too nice? A bunch of backstabbing jerks as friends and a girl who pretended to give a sh*t about me, started being a jerk, and started sexually harassing me once I stopped liking her.

I don't think you need to tell people to fvck off, just be honest in a more peaceful manner.

Why does everyone has drama in school? I've never experienced any of this.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:36:32 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:35:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Because you escaped before this generation started.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:36:55 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:36:32 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:

I'm 16... What did I escape?

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:37:59 AM
I sympathize with your perceptions. Try not to let a few bad apples ruin the whole thing for you. Caring for others is the greatest thing in this world. It's the sign of a proper human being.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:41:39 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:36:55 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Could have sworn you were an adult. Oh well. Idk, kids where you live are better?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:43:37 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:41:39 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Could have sworn you were an adult. Oh well. Idk, kids where you live are better?

White kid, upper class, away from the seedier parts of cities - yeah, I'd say his background makes it fairly predictable.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:43:55 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:41:39 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:

I had the age 99 on my profile so people from school couldn't find me, but since I couldn't care less, I changed it.

Kids where I live are not better at all, it's just that the program that I am in is filled with smarter and nicer kids. I don't think there's a single person that is disliked throughout the program in my grade.

I also have almost no emotion, so that could probably be another factor.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:50:42 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:37:59 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I sympathize with your perceptions. Try not to let a few bad apples ruin the whole thing for you. Caring for others is the greatest thing in this world. It's the sign of a proper human being.

I care for others...I do my best to help people out. But you can't trust anyone anymore..it's almost like I just want to shun out the needy, which is horrible to say. Though this guy wasn't needy, I knew him, fairly...

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:52:07 AM
I'm just done..

Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:52:45 AM
At 1/22/2016 1:50:42 AM, Rosalie wrote:

I care for others...I do my best to help people out. But you can't trust anyone anymore..it's almost like I just want to shun out the needy, which is horrible to say. Though this guy wasn't needy, I knew him, fairly...

Hey, there are people in this world who are out to hurt you and you should watch your back. Try to be with those who wish you well. Dont stop helping others, just do it with more caution.

I hope things get better for you.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:52:58 AM
With life, with people, especially untrustworthy ones.

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:54:45 AM

Shun the unneedy.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:58:58 AM

Most people, on an individual level, are decent at heart. I don't know if offering rides to anyone you meet is the best way, but there are lots of other ways you can help other people without risk to yourself.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 1:59:20 AM

I think in general, no offense, this is more of a common sense issue than anything else. If someone looks suspicious and there are obvious warning signs, you stay away from them as a rule of thumb to prevent harm to yourself. It has nothing to do with "niceness".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Zarium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 4:01:48 AM
That sucks to hear that... :(

I don't' know where about's you live, however that is not always the case, I feel that you are a good person, however it is pure random chance that is bringing these weirdo's to you....

Alternatively, Generally 'jovial' people, or trusting people look fundamentally different from people who have experienced hardship, or who have an aggressive personality.
I would assume that you have a rather 'soft' face - As in your have no sharp features that signify you have a more 'carnivorous' personality trait, Your teeth are probably rounded, your eyes are probably rounded and are 'full' - your Iris's are large, and pupils are dilated (does this sound accurate?)

People, specifically men - Subconsciously will assess the way you look, and provide a 'Danger' rating to you - too high, and they will move away (of course, some are assertive, and take the fact you look dangers as either a threat to be confronted, or a challenge to be beaten) - however as your 'danger' rating is low (Assuming my deductions above are correct) - This asserts that you are vulnerable.

Most people - Both genders - will want to use the fact that you appear vulnerable to either get you to do things (Intimidation, Peer pressure) or to take things from you, as they believe the risk/reward is in their favour.

Luckily for you - you have a way with words to discourage people from that avenue, however you appearance alone will signify to others that you are 'vulnerable'.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, Good people will see you and their first impulse is to protect, which is the purpose of your 'softer' features - it is like a constant signal that your appearance emits that signifies what you are like.

I completely understand what you mean with the risk of being friendly, All you must do is assess the situation yourself - If you are alone in a car, or alone in a place where you cannot get away, the prudent option is to not put yourself in dangerous positions.

However, This being said - Do not change who you are, simply because you may maybe get scary/dangerous situations - The game you are playing is a percentage game - The majority of the time you will find a douche - however chances are that you will find a life long friend, or even the partner that you choose to spend the rest of your life with.

Long story Short - You do you, No one can do it better, and you cannot be someone else better. Do what you think is right, Face the consequences of your actions (Good and bad, and I hope the Bad does not occur) - And enjoy life!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 5:10:25 AM

You're very lucky he was able to be talked down. Often times if they're tweaking or straight up psychotic, there's nothing you can say to get them to calm down.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 5:13:22 AM
At 1/22/2016 5:10:25 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

You're very lucky he was able to be talked down. Often times if they're tweaking or straight up psychotic, there's nothing you can say to get them to calm down.

I know...you just never know..

Zarium
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 5:31:50 AM
I also have almost no emotion, so that could probably be another factor.

- Please do not fall for this trap friend, I can see you are smart, probably far smarter than me.

However I would like to claim here that actually yes you do have emotions, as much as you may deny to others, or to yourself (That is what I used to do) - they are very much still there.

The trap that i mention here is that I believe you feel you are stronger intellectually because you 'have no emotion'. If this is what you believe, then I understand you completely, and I believe it is a phase one must come through to acknowledge the power you can get by not denying that they exist, but accepting and incorporating these emotions into your life.

What I am trying to impart is that Denying emotions exist is a poor way of 'overcoming' ones emotions - It is a better practice to instead signify the 'calling' details of each emotion - Such as Rage, Love, Happiness, Sadness, etc. - And to teach yourself to acknowledge these triggers.

The benefit of doing this, is "absolute" control of emotions - This is a give and take, as some days there are other factors that make it difficult to control - however in a percentage scenario - 99% of the time you will have control.
It also assists with empathy of others, if you know exactly how someone is feeling (that they are sad, angry, etc.) you can associate those feelings in your dealings with this person, and improve your relationship with them, and assist them with their problems.

Anyways, you keep doing you - I was sending this as friendly 'heads-up' - as I have been in the position where i confidently asserted I have no emotions, and a surprising turn of events proved me otherwise.

I have since had likewise (And worse) situations happen to me since I have since acknowledged my emotions, and I have had ironclad control of my emotions, far better than when "I had none at all".

Danke, and Aloha.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 9:48:43 AM

Don't confuse nice with being a doormat.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12