Jump to topic:

Pet Peeves

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:14:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Time for another pet-peeves thread? I think so.

1. People who try to impress me with an overly hard handshake

I get it, my musculature is threatening to you. No, your labour-job hasn't made you as strong as me. No, I don't think this makes me better than you. No, you're not fooling me. Grow up.

2. People who are msging you, and then stop abruptly

Did you die? Was I boring you? Wtf?

3. People with small heads.

I have a big head. Here a pic of me next to a guy with a small head. Big-headed master race people are inherently superior.

http://www.debate.org...

4. People who cancel plans with me last-minute.

If I ever murder someone, it will be for this reason. I'm not even sure if I'm joking or not.

5. People who readily flaunt their weaknesses

With how much effort I put into bettering myself, it's mind-boggling to me to see someone almost bragging about how much effort it takes for them to maintain mediocrity. Why do you want pity? I'd rather hack my own nuts off than have someone genuinely feel pity for me.

6. Young dads who dress like "gangsters"

You have a child, why do you choose to look like your biggest priority in life is figuring out how to get out of english class so you can go smoke dope with your boys before the school bus comes to take you home? You're not your kid's "cool older brother," you're its father. Dress like a father.

7. People who instigate as con

And then have their opponent skip the last round to "keep things even". You people are weak. Your bloodline is weak. Your children will not survive the winter.

8. When someone calls me a "bodybuilder"

Stop it. I'm not one of those pretty-boy juice-heads. I'm a powerlifter, dammit!

9. Asians

'nuff said

10. When multiple people respond to a post I made directed at someone else

Different people use words differently than others. When I'm deep into a highly-technical conversation with someone online, I tend to tailor my language in such a way to get my point across to that particular person as clearly as possible. You can't just jump in halfway through a conversation I'm having with someone else and expect me to carry this conversation on two+ fronts. Fvck off.

I think that's enough for now. I'll add more if I think of them.

In the meantime, feel free to add your own!
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:19:17 PM
You forgot "Taiwanese people who get offended at 'Chinese Taipei'."
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:20:36 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:19:17 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I mentioned asians.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:22:23 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:20:36 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 1/22/2016 11:19:17 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I mentioned asians.

Fair enough.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:23:41 PM
Don't you just hate it when you get a small cut on the roof of your mouth, and everytime you eat something salty it begins to sting. But since it's in the roof of your mouth, the only thing you could do is wait for it to heal. And then you wonder "How did I even get a cut there anyway". I swear I can't be the only one this happens to.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:24:57 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:14:44 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

And then have their opponent skip the last round to "keep things even". You people are weak. Your bloodline is weak. Your children will not survive the winter.

this is generally how i feel about people that do not know how to hunt, make a fire, and other wilderness survival things like building a shelter, crafting bows, spears, etc. Learn, because you absolutely never know when you might need to, and if it happens and you dont know how to, well you are dead, and then hows that modern lifestyle working out for you at that point?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:26:11 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:23:41 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Don't you just hate it when you get a small cut on the roof of your mouth, and everytime you eat something salty it begins to sting. But since it's in the roof of your mouth, the only thing you could do is wait for it to heal. And then you wonder "How did I even get a cut there anyway". I swear I can't be the only one this happens to.

you sir, are not alone in this, its annoying as sh!t and i thought i would've grown out of it at this point in my life. But noooooo, just something that keeps happening -_-
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:26:32 PM
At 1/22/2016 11:23:41 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

I don't think that's every happened to me, actually. Burns on my tongue, on the other hand...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:28:18 PM
11. Warm drinks

Drinks should be cool and refreshing. Coffee, tea, hot-chocolate, etc. are all awful. I can't even stand watching other people drink warm liquids.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:58:21 PM

I've ended a relationship over this lol
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2016 11:59:12 PM
I don't like when microwaves keep beeping after I've opened the door.
- lamerde

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:18:29 AM
At 1/22/2016 11:58:21 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I've ended a relationship over this lol

Good on you, bro.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:31:56 AM
Linecutters: I really want to dig a mass grave for these people.

Coworkers who sing along horribly and loudly to music on the radio: can you say 'glossectomy'?

People with terrible hygiene: regular bathing has been all the rage since the 19th century; it always surprises me that some people haven't caught on.

Intellectual superciliousness: not impressed, it literally makes me cringe. Especially if if the person doesn't know what they're talking about; I can tolerate it if the snobbishness is at least warranted.

People who act like they're going to die because they'll be trapped in their house one day by snow. You don't need six cartons of milk when the power might go out, ya dumb b!tch. Just general consumerist absurdity.

Slow drivers: if you're more than 5 mph under the speed limit, you're doing it wrong. If you're more than 10 mph over, I <3 you, mostly because the cops will go after you instead of me.

Peanuts: they're not even nuts. They make me sick.

Red Solo Cups: self-explanatory.

Undisciplined children, and their obnoxious parents: your hand has a back to it for a reason.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 12:32:52 AM
At 1/22/2016 11:59:12 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Oh, things that beep. I hate things that just keep beeping. Like ATMs. I HAVE MY MONEY, STOP BEEPING.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 1:04:34 AM
At 1/23/2016 12:31:56 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Linecutters: I really want to dig a mass grave for these people.

Oh, this is a good one.
- lamerde

RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:28:16 AM

Lol, I've done this before. I don't see the big deal as long as you give your opponent a fair resolution and set the burden of proof as shared so you still have to make constructive arguments.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:29:58 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:28:16 AM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

Lol, I've done this before. I don't see the big deal as long as you give your opponent a fair resolution and set the burden of proof as shared so you still have to make constructive arguments.

If the BoP is shared, then what's the point in having your opponent skip the last round?
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:33:10 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:29:58 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

If the BoP is shared, then what's the point in having your opponent skip the last round?

It is an alternative to having your opponent use the first round as acceptance in order to keep the arguments per side even.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:39:25 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:33:10 AM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

It is an alternative to having your opponent use the first round as acceptance in order to keep the arguments per side even.

That's nonsense, the point is to get the advantage of having the last word in the debate without having to pay the Elo-penalty for being the contender.
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 2:49:04 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:39:25 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

That's nonsense, the point is to get the advantage of having the last word in the debate without having to pay the Elo-penalty for being the contender.

The contender Elo-penalty was not created to compensate for the contender getting the last round, but to discourage noob-sniping. I don't think the last round advantage is necessarily that significant since there is usually an implied rule to not make new arguments in the last round, and the other side has the first round to set the tone of the debate which gives compensation.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:01:07 AM
At 1/23/2016 2:49:04 AM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

The contender Elo-penalty was not created to compensate for the contender getting the last round, but to discourage noob-sniping. I don't think the last round advantage is necessarily that significant since there is usually an implied rule to not make new arguments in the last round, and the other side has the first round to set the tone of the debate which gives compensation.

I don't think that's true. In fact I seem to remember Ore_Ele himself stating that the point of the penalty was to compensate for the advantage the contender has in having the last word. Thing is, it doesn't really matter why the Elo penalty exists, because in practice you can game the system by instigating as Con and having your opponent skip the last round. I can tell you first hand it's harder to win debates you don't get the last word in.
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:14:24 AM
At 1/23/2016 3:01:07 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I don't think that's true. In fact I seem to remember Ore_Ele himself stating that the point of the penalty was to compensate for the advantage the contender has in having the last word. Thing is, it doesn't really matter why the Elo penalty exists, because in practice you can game the system by instigating as Con and having your opponent skip the last round. I can tell you first hand it's harder to win debates you don't get the last word in.

Maybe I was wrong about the reason for the contendor Elo penalty. I wasn't here when that rule was set in place and I went off of the explanations others gave afterwards.

If you are concerned about people gaming the system, there are much more efficient ways of doing that then instigating as Con and having your opponent pass the last round.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:15:43 AM
At 1/23/2016 3:14:24 AM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

Maybe I was wrong about the reason for the contendor Elo penalty. I wasn't here when that rule was set in place and I went off of the explanations others gave afterwards.

If you are concerned about people gaming the system, there are much more efficient ways of doing that then instigating as Con and having your opponent pass the last round.

Maybe there is maybe there isn't, but that's not the point. The point is that people do use that method to game the system and it's a pet-peeve of mine.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:20:00 AM
12. People who are willing to argue in the forums across multiple pages

But suddenly lose their nerve when you mention the "D" word. Amazing how everyone has so much time to kill right up to the point where they might actually have to risk something to keep arguing.
EAT_IT_SUKA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:22:08 AM
When I'm reading a book and somebody asks me "What book are you reading?" Ugh, it's the bane of my existence. Every time!
Vote on these debates please:
http://www.debate.org...
RainbowDash52
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:22:54 AM
At 1/23/2016 3:15:43 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 1/23/2016 3:14:24 AM, RainbowDash52 wrote:

Maybe there is maybe there isn't, but that's not the point. The point is that people do use that method to game the system and it's a pet-peeve of mine.

Fair enough.

But in my defense, I barely even knew what Elo was during that time I instigated as Con.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 3:59:48 AM
At 1/22/2016 11:59:12 PM, Maikuru wrote:

This. I will fvcking end my microwave if it keeps doing this. I contemplated returning it, but then my boyfriend made a mess of it with some leftovers. I think I'm just going to dismantle it until I can get the beeping thing out one of these days.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 4:01:26 AM
At 1/23/2016 12:31:56 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
People who act like they're going to die because they'll be trapped in their house one day by snow. You don't need six cartons of milk when the power might go out, ya dumb b!tch. Just general consumerist absurdity.

Yep. And then when I want to go get some groceries because I actually do need them and it just so happens to be snowing, they're all gone because of people like this. It's Buffalo, it snows here, get over yourself and buy a six pack and a shovel like the rest of us. Leave the fvcking bread alone.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 4:03:55 AM
My pet peeve is people with bad elevator manners. Like, if I am getting off of it, wait just a sec before you get on. Know what floor you're going to before you fvck up and press the wrong button. Don't hold the elevator for your friends if they're on the other side of the building. And for fvcks sake, TURN THAT DAMN PHONE OFF BEFORE I SHOVE IT UP YOUR @SS.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 4:04:40 AM

Assuming Con doesn't argue in the first round then Pro missing the last round is to keep it even.

The alternative is that Pro would get an extra round in such a situation.

What is the problem here ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12