Total Posts:178|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How I have changed since I joined DDO

The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 5:56:01 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
http://www.debate.org...

I views have changed significantly since I joined this website. Before I joined I was a relatively new conservative; I used to have more liberal views on society. After I joined this site, I became a political moderate (as evidenced by the 1st picture). I then became a major authoritarian, and was economically moderate. After viewing many debates and engaging in conversations on the Forums, I began drifting more towards Libertarianism.

Now, I am a bit weird: when it comes to social issues, I am strong conservative; economically, I am far-right; when it comes to government, I am libertarian.

How have you grown/changed since you joined DDO?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 7:27:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I've steadily drifted to the left.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2016 10:35:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I drifted to the right, then waayyyy to the right, then back to the centre. Go figure.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
stargate
Posts: 506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:34:08 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Just more to the right, used to be more open to bigger government. Sense then I am now basically all republican for my stances.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 3:20:08 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Went from conservative to Libertarian.

My views haven't changed while being on ddo, as I joined ddo while I was a strong right winger. I used to be somewhat liberal before I started to engage in politics.

I was being fed stupid liberal tripe and propaganda in school, and knew no better than to follow along.

I'm Libertarian in ideology, as in I value free market economics and a very limited government. In personal views on culture and sexual orientation, gender, etc. I would say that I am pretty conservative, maybe even fascist. (I think most people know of my hatred towards 3rd world cultures and pretty much every non-Westernized nation.)
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Subutai
Posts: 3,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 3:53:49 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
One of these days, in a couple of years, when someone makes this thread again, my response is going to be an essay.

Anyway, when I joined the site, I was a far-right conservative Christian. Over the first year, I became more liberal socially, more libertarian ideologically, and less theistic religiously. For the two or so years after that, I was an atheist wavering between laissez-faire minarchism and anarcho-capitalism. Then, I had a huge ideological crisis. I didn't know where I stood on anything. I'm slowly starting to form a belief structure again, but I'm still feeling the remnants of it now.

I'd describe myself now as an agnostic atheist post-leftist. Beyond that, I can't elaborate much.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 5:45:13 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/23/2016 7:27:40 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I've steadily drifted to the left.

I've also gone from a vaguely religious non-denominational Christian to an apatheist (apathetic agnostic).
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 2:47:43 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/23/2016 5:56:01 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I views have changed significantly since I joined this website. Before I joined I was a relatively new conservative; I used to have more liberal views on society. After I joined this site, I became a political moderate (as evidenced by the 1st picture). I then became a major authoritarian, and was economically moderate. After viewing many debates and engaging in conversations on the Forums, I began drifting more towards Libertarianism.

Now, I am a bit weird: when it comes to social issues, I am strong conservative; economically, I am far-right; when it comes to government, I am libertarian.

How have you grown/changed since you joined DDO?

I used to be fiscally liberal and more socially conservative. I supported expanding welfare, increasing the corporate tax, and increasing the tax for the rich.

Socially, I was against strictly Pro-Life, against Drugs being legalized, against Euthanasia. I was very Pro-War. I supported the War in Afghanistan, War of Terror, and War in Iraq. I always felt that these terrorists were doing harm, and that it was our countries duty to fight wars, for our freedom. I

After coming to DDO, it became the opposite. I'm strictly Liberal on social Issues, and I'm moderate fiscally. I also became an atheist on this site.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 4:08:48 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 2:47:43 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 1/23/2016 5:56:01 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I views have changed significantly since I joined this website. Before I joined I was a relatively new conservative; I used to have more liberal views on society. After I joined this site, I became a political moderate (as evidenced by the 1st picture). I then became a major authoritarian, and was economically moderate. After viewing many debates and engaging in conversations on the Forums, I began drifting more towards Libertarianism.

Now, I am a bit weird: when it comes to social issues, I am strong conservative; economically, I am far-right; when it comes to government, I am libertarian.

How have you grown/changed since you joined DDO?

I used to be fiscally liberal and more socially conservative. I supported expanding welfare, increasing the corporate tax, and increasing the tax for the rich.

Socially, I was against strictly Pro-Life, against Drugs being legalized, against Euthanasia. I was very Pro-War. I supported the War in Afghanistan, War of Terror, and War in Iraq. I always felt that these terrorists were doing harm, and that it was our countries duty to fight wars, for our freedom. I

After coming to DDO, it became the opposite. I'm strictly Liberal on social Issues, and I'm moderate fiscally. I also became an atheist on this site.

*Was Strictly Pro-Life
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 5:07:20 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I used to think Gambit could beat Wolverine in a fight. God, I was so young!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:00:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
In terms of single issues, I used to be a bit more open to the idea of military intervention, and now I'm anti-war barring something like a fascist taking over Europe.

My social issues haven't changed too much, except now I'm utterly apathetic on things such as abortion, and I am in the middle on gun rights and the right to homeschool children.

On some issues affecting the US, I switched on term limits at least twice, but I think I'm solidly con on that now. I've gone from con to pro and back to a very solid con on the Electoral College. And economically I have gone from pro to con on free trade.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:16:33 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 3:38:08 PM, RainbowDash52 wrote:
Came here a non-religious libertarian, and I still am.

+1

I came here officially being religious, but my faith was never that strong anyways. It slowly waned and waned into atheism, which is what I am now.

I believe in Ayn Rand's philosophical principles of why there is no deity, and I also find religion to be a restrictive and fundamentally worthless set of principles. Quite a lot of bad has been done in the name of religion.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:17:31 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
In terms of single issues, I used to be a bit more open to the idea of military intervention,

"and now I'm anti-war barring something like a fascist taking over Europe."

So you're against the tsunami of migrants invading Europe? Good to hear.


My social issues haven't changed too much, except now I'm utterly apathetic on things such as abortion, and I am in the middle on gun rights and the right to homeschool children.

On some issues affecting the US, I switched on term limits at least twice, but I think I'm solidly con on that now. I've gone from con to pro and back to a very solid con on the Electoral College. And economically I have gone from pro to con on free trade.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:20:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:17:31 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
In terms of single issues, I used to be a bit more open to the idea of military intervention,


"and now I'm anti-war barring something like a fascist taking over Europe."

So you're against the tsunami of migrants invading Europe? Good to hear.

I don't respect your anti-Muslim views, because they're based off of ignorance and an inability to even try to learn about them.

That said, while I support the acceptance of refugees, European police forces should be quicker to deport those who do break the law.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:26:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:20:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:17:31 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
In terms of single issues, I used to be a bit more open to the idea of military intervention,


"and now I'm anti-war barring something like a fascist taking over Europe."

So you're against the tsunami of migrants invading Europe? Good to hear.

I don't respect your anti-Muslim views, because they're based off of ignorance and an inability to even try to learn about them.

That would mean that there is 1 strict reiteration of Muslim filth, which is not necessarily true. I read it objectively though the Quran, and through deductive reasoning I've seen that this is a obscenely worthless religion.

Also the same can be said for leftist ideals

That said, while I support the acceptance of refugees, European police forces should be quicker to deport those who do break the law.

My views on Islam are perfectly founded in the outlook of 2 principles:

1. I despise religion and religious institutions, and find them abhorrently restrictive. Islam, however, I find to be the most restrictive due to its strict moral and legal code.

2. The extreme levels of violent verses espoused by the Quran and the Hadith.

Would you like me to list these verses to you, or are you going to sit there and act as if the Islamic faith preaches peace and tolerance?

I don't really care about Islam as a religion though, as I care more about the people who believe in it, and there is no question that great amounts of people who believe in it are also people who have strict anti-Western views. The crime rate has hiked tremendously as the Muslim migrants have flowed into nations such as France, Germany, England, and Sweden.

You can debate me on it if you'd like...
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:31:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
When you say "Muslim filth", I stop reading.

---

Let's just kill them all. Kill them all! Like we did with the negro, Jews, Gypsies, and reds! Filth!
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:32:06 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I've also went from being somewhat towards feminism (because I was indoctrinated into liberal crap when I didn't know any better) to being completely against feminism and everything that this idiotic movement stands for.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:37:26 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:32:06 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The more I see you talk, the more I like you.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:40:39 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:31:44 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
When you say "Muslim filth", I stop reading.

---

Let's just kill them all. Kill them all! Like we did with the negro, Jews, Gypsies, and reds! Filth!

I don't advocate for genocide, but I do advocate for the preservation of Western ideals and cultures, which are being threatened by a heavy influx of non-assimilating Middle Eastern and North African Muslims.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:44:29 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 4:26:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I've probably gotten a bit more conservative, though I think that has more to do with my time in university than DDO.

I would have expected the opposite coming from university.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:45:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:37:26 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:32:06 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The more I see you talk, the more I like you.

+1

I try
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:46:56 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:44:29 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/24/2016 4:26:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I've probably gotten a bit more conservative, though I think that has more to do with my time in university than DDO.

I would have expected the opposite coming from university.

Most people without any real understanding of how universities work do. That's not a knock against you, specifically - it's just pointing out the fact that conservatives pretending universities are bastions of liberalism are living in fantasy worlds. Universities provide critical education; if they're good at it, that education is unclouded by political bias. The social atmosphere of the students is not unbiased, but it's also largely formed before entering universities.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:48:22 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 4:26:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I've probably gotten a bit more conservative, though I think that has more to do with my time in university than DDO.

You have gotten more CONSERVATIVE while at university? really? Either you have a very strong amount of willpower or your school is lacking some very concerned SJWs and Feminists, as well as self hating white Marxist men.

I love their response to everything though. "POVERTY? MARX DEBUNKED THAT YEARS AGOOOOOO" #RESISTCAPITALISM BABY
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:48:39 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
In terms of single issues, I used to be a bit more open to the idea of military intervention, and now I'm anti-war barring something like a fascist taking over Europe.

Mm.

My social issues haven't changed too much, except now I'm utterly apathetic on things such as abortion, and I am in the middle on gun rights and the right to homeschool children.

So you support some aspects of gun rights and oppose others. What, specifically, do you oppose/support?

Same for homeschooling.

On some issues affecting the US, I switched on term limits at least twice, but I think I'm solidly con on that now. I've gone from con to pro and back to a very solid con on the Electoral College. And economically I have gone from pro to con on free trade.

I am con Electoral College; I just need to change it. I am also con for term limits, as it hinders democracy indirectly. If the People want that person in office, then that person should have it if the People vote him/her back in.

You are con free trade.... Could you tell me what, in your opinion, is wrong with the notion of economic freedom, and why?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:51:27 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:46:56 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:44:29 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/24/2016 4:26:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I've probably gotten a bit more conservative, though I think that has more to do with my time in university than DDO.

I would have expected the opposite coming from university.

Most people without any real understanding of how universities work do. That's not a knock against you, specifically - it's just pointing out the fact that conservatives pretending universities are bastions of liberalism are living in fantasy worlds. Universities provide critical education; if they're good at it, that education is unclouded by political bias. The social atmosphere of the students is not unbiased, but it's also largely formed before entering universities.

So you could say that this "bias" is simply the views of the students currently attending?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:52:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:51:27 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:46:56 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:44:29 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/24/2016 4:26:28 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I've probably gotten a bit more conservative, though I think that has more to do with my time in university than DDO.

I would have expected the opposite coming from university.

Most people without any real understanding of how universities work do. That's not a knock against you, specifically - it's just pointing out the fact that conservatives pretending universities are bastions of liberalism are living in fantasy worlds. Universities provide critical education; if they're good at it, that education is unclouded by political bias. The social atmosphere of the students is not unbiased, but it's also largely formed before entering universities.

So you could say that this "bias" is simply the views of the students currently attending?

For the most part.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,564
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:52:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/24/2016 8:45:52 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:37:26 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/24/2016 8:32:06 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The more I see you talk, the more I like you.

+1

I try

http://www.yodaquotes.net...
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.