Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Music's influence on your political views.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 3:30:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've been thinking about posting this topic for a while, but never gotten around to it. It is no secrete that songs have a hidden meaning whether it's as obvious of Serj Tankian's Harkiri and Empty Walls or a little more Vague like the Cranberries's Zombie. Today I come to you with the question. With the music that you listen to you what are the influences that it has on you and what songs are these. Have any of them changed your views or have they been unsuccessful.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 4:58:52 AM
At 1/26/2016 3:30:28 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I've been thinking about posting this topic for a while, but never gotten around to it. It is no secrete that songs have a hidden meaning whether it's as obvious of Serj Tankian's Harkiri and Empty Walls or a little more Vague like the Cranberries's Zombie. Today I come to you with the question. With the music that you listen to you what are the influences that it has on you and what songs are these. Have any of them changed your views or have they been unsuccessful.

Serj Tanikan is awesome, as is System of a Down.

That said, I think I tend to listen to music that reflects my political views.... Rise Against is a major band that comes to mind there. There are others, as well. Green Day, to a lesser extent... Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.

I listen to more than just that, though... and there is some music that I like that is totally antithetical to my political views (like "Midnight Train to Georgia" for example), but which I like just the same.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

Where we were, on Trump:

Russia: The Update

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:08:16 AM
At 1/26/2016 4:58:52 AM, YYW wrote:

That said, I think I tend to listen to music that reflects my political views.... Rise Against is a major band that comes to mind there. There are others, as well. Green Day, to a lesser extent... Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.

I listen to more than just that, though... and there is some music that I like that is totally antithetical to my political views (like "Midnight Train to Georgia" for example), but which I like just the same.

I love Oasis, along with Smashing Pumpkins.
I'm back and I'm better.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:09:48 AM
Martina McBride, and Toby Kieth. My family is very patriotic, as well as me. Toby Keith sings allot about the military, which is why I admire his music.
I'm back and I'm better.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 6:36:07 PM
At 1/26/2016 4:58:52 AM, YYW wrote:

We share much of the same musical views.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:23:14 AM
Nixon's the one.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:16:14 AM
Rush has a bunch of Libertarian songs. I do like a lot of stuff that feels anti establishment such as cage the elephant and rise against the machine.

I don't let music influence my views though.

Oh there are a bunch of good rappers that are anti estavlishment and virtually unknown on youtube which are way better than anything you hear on the radio.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 3:09:22 PM
At 1/26/2016 5:09:48 AM, Rosalie wrote:
Martina McBride, and Toby Kieth. My family is very patriotic, as well as me. Toby Keith sings allot about the military, which is why I admire his music.

Toby Keith... Toby Keith...

Oh the negative things I have to say about him.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2017 7:42:59 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Not intending to necropost - but I didn't want to post another OP since this thread already exists. It deserves more attention.

Really great thread.

Music has influenced me in so many different ways - political views are definitely one of them. Listen to some experimental rock which has some serious political meaning -- lots of Pink Floyd songs come to mind -- Pigs, most notably, inspired by Orwell, and Waiting for the Worms -- and it'll blow your mind.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass

http://gotejas.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2017 8:54:09 AM
At 1/14/2017 7:42:59 AM, tejretics wrote:
Not intending to necropost - but I didn't want to post another OP since this thread already exists. It deserves more attention.

Really great thread.

Music has influenced me in so many different ways - political views are definitely one of them. Listen to some experimental rock which has some serious political meaning -- lots of Pink Floyd songs come to mind -- Pigs, most notably, inspired by Orwell, and Waiting for the Worms -- and it'll blow your mind.

Pink Floyd is amazing. You should take a shot at Muse. They're progressive/experimental rock, and are very anti-establishment. My favorites by them are [JFK]/Defector, The Globalist, and Reapers.
"...feminazis, my favorite number..." ~PeterSmith

"Add that to the Bible, I guess." ~Max

"Isn't everything on this site my arbitrary whim?" ~Max

"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2017 8:55:43 AM
To respond to the OP, no, music has never influenced my views. I listen to music from all points of the politcal spectrum though; i.e Rise Against, Muse, Rage Against the Machine, Five Finger Death Punch, etc.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2017 9:28:32 AM
There's always White America: https://www.youtube.com...

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2017 9:41:41 AM
Knocked Loose can be anti-lobbyist, and Motionless in White has an anti-establishment song called "America." I feel like almost no one here would like either of them though.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2017 5:41:11 PM
I don't think listening to the Red Russian Army Choir constantly has really done anything to me politically.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2017 6:13:50 PM
My music has consistently pushed my further to the anti-authoritarian left.

A friend of mine even gave up on his religion because of music.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2017 10:28:50 PM
I generally don't care about the politics of the bands I listen to, mostly because I don't care about lyrics that much. Of the bands I listen to that have expressed their political views, the vast majority are somewhat left of center (although by how much depends on the band). Rush is an interesting anomaly, being libertarian, as is Frank Zappa, who was a conservative (although not really in the traditional sense).
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2017 6:24:14 PM
Music doesn't affect my political views. Most artists are very leftist and I am not. Some bands are obnoxiously liberal like CAKE. Man, following them on Facebook is so frustrating lol.

I do like some political rock bands such as Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down and A Perfect Circle, but I don't always agree with them. I also like SOME punk such as Bad Religion. Political hip-hop is cool. I love Immortal Technique and Dead Prez!

Trent Reznor from NIN used to be more anti-state than he is now. Apparently he supported HRC 100% which is crazy given his views expressed in songs like Capital G. He probably just couldn't fathom a President Trump which is understandable. Reznor used to sound pretty libertarian as he was critical of George W. Bush, but also not for big government or swayed much by emotional/social justice arguments...

Don't give a shit about the temperature in Guatemala
Don't really see what all the fuss is about
Ain't gonna worry about no future generations
And I'm sure somebody's gonna figure it out
Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You haven't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry 'cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head because you know that I'm right, all right!
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2017 6:33:51 PM
I'll break into Queen's "Mama, just killed a man" every so often as like, existentialism or something, but that's about it. I am awaiting damnation, no politics for me.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2017 7:19:48 PM
"See now Oblivion shimmering all around us, its very tranquility deadlier than tempest. How little all our keels have troubled it."
- Lord Dunsany -

"Over her head the stars, the thoughts of God in the heavens,
Shone on the eyes of man, who had ceased to marvel and worship"
- Henry Longfellow -

"We enjoy, we see nothing by direct vision; but only by reflection, and in anatomical dismemberment."
- Thomas Carlyle -
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2017 7:30:34 PM
At 1/16/2017 7:19:48 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Nice, lol.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.