Jump to topic:

6 Months on DDO

TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 12:45:37 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hello guys! I've recently hit six months on DDO, and I can say without a doubt that it has been a great time for me. I started out on this site with no debating experience and knowledge of foreign affairs. Then, I joined the Beginner's tournament and bsh1 sort of took me under his wing and taught me the basics of debating. I went on to win that tournament and engage in others. As for foreign affairs, reading posts in the politics forum had me really wondering about what else was going on in the grand scheme of things (most posts in politics forum are centered around the U.S.). Surprisingly, this inspired a chain of events that led to me subscribing to The Economist and Foreign Affairs. Because of the accumulation of knowledge in both debate and foreign affairs, I have now set my sights on law school.

Thank you to bsh1. You've been a great mentor to me and I think that I could call you a friend I could rely on. Throughout our mentoring period, you were always patient and made sure that the work I produced was to the best of my abilities, and I hope that I will be able to return the favor sometime.

At the beginning of my time on this site, I was exclusively debating, never going into the forums, opinions, or polls. Over time, I debated less and talked in the forums more. Unfortunately, this has led to a decline in my argumentation skill but has given me a social improvement on the site. One of my goals in the coming months will be to debate more and hone my argumentation, since I will be competing in debate IRL next school year. In addition, I would like to make substantive forum posts more often about topics of interest. This is what I enjoy about talking to the many smart people on the site; I can write long posts about various topics and they give exemplary feedback.

All in all, this has been a great experience, and I hope it continues.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 1:25:31 AM
This site is better for your presence :) Glad you joined!

Thanks for the shout out, too *hugs*
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 1:43:00 AM
At 1/31/2016 12:45:37 AM, TheProphett wrote:
Hello guys! I've recently hit six months on DDO, and I can say without a doubt that it has been a great time for me. I started out on this site with no debating experience and knowledge of foreign affairs. Then, I joined the Beginner's tournament and bsh1 sort of took me under his wing and taught me the basics of debating. I went on to win that tournament and engage in others. As for foreign affairs, reading posts in the politics forum had me really wondering about what else was going on in the grand scheme of things (most posts in politics forum are centered around the U.S.). Surprisingly, this inspired a chain of events that led to me subscribing to The Economist and Foreign Affairs. Because of the accumulation of knowledge in both debate and foreign affairs, I have now set my sights on law school.

Thank you to bsh1. You've been a great mentor to me and I think that I could call you a friend I could rely on. Throughout our mentoring period, you were always patient and made sure that the work I produced was to the best of my abilities, and I hope that I will be able to return the favor sometime.

At the beginning of my time on this site, I was exclusively debating, never going into the forums, opinions, or polls. Over time, I debated less and talked in the forums more. Unfortunately, this has led to a decline in my argumentation skill but has given me a social improvement on the site. One of my goals in the coming months will be to debate more and hone my argumentation, since I will be competing in debate IRL next school year. In addition, I would like to make substantive forum posts more often about topics of interest. This is what I enjoy about talking to the many smart people on the site; I can write long posts about various topics and they give exemplary feedback.

All in all, this has been a great experience, and I hope it continues.

+1

We both got on at roughly the same time. I got on this site because I had nothing else to do, and my computer wouldn't run any of my video games, so I found this to fill the void. I stayed ever since.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.