Jump to topic:

My Luck With Colleges

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 12:01:15 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I am usually not one to brag, but something amazing happened.

Some of you may know that UofL accepted me into its Honors Program, which is a major accomplishment for me.

And today, I was called down to the school's office. I didn't know why; I thought I did something wrong. Turns out, Morehead State University sent an admissions counselor all the way to my school to come talk to me and get my ACT scores. I was surprised to hear this. So I showed him my scores and emailed them to him.

We began talking about what I wanted to do and then eventually digressed into my hobbies and interests. I showed him DDO, and he was very impressed with me and some other members. Turns out this was an admissions interview, which it seems I passed because he admitted me to MSU on the spot in the front office. He also told me that, with my scores and GPA, I will get at least an almost full-ride merit scholarship to MSU.

So, needless to say, I am happeh.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:49:17 AM
At 2/2/2016 12:01:15 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Some of you may know that UofL accepted me into its Honors Program, which is a major accomplishment for me.

And today, I was called down to the school's office. I didn't know why; I thought I did something wrong. Turns out, Morehead State University sent an admissions counselor all the way to my school to come talk to me and get my ACT scores. I was surprised to hear this. So I showed him my scores and emailed them to him.

We began talking about what I wanted to do and then eventually digressed into my hobbies and interests. I showed him DDO, and he was very impressed with me and some other members. Turns out this was an admissions interview, which it seems I passed because he admitted me to MSU on the spot in the front office. He also told me that, with my scores and GPA, I will get at least an almost full-ride merit scholarship to MSU.

Congrats and very best of luck to you. It's a big moment, smile with a wide grin.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:01:55 AM

So far I've just gotten countless emails (usually from the same few places that I don't care about) and some mail. Congratz XD
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:05:15 PM
At 2/2/2016 1:40:20 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Congratulations! That's great!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 9:22:12 PM
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 9:23:24 PM

Now I know which state you live in, haha.

Congratulations by the way. I am going to apply to more universities when Senior year starts.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:41:15 AM
At 2/2/2016 9:23:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Congratulations by the way. I am going to apply to more universities when Senior year starts.

Yeah, I moved from Memphis, lol. Lannan also knows.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:41:36 AM

Thanks!
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:42:19 AM
At 2/2/2016 1:49:17 AM, Peepette wrote:

Congrats and very best of luck to you. It's a big moment, smile with a wide grin.

Thanks! (BTW, I ought to have my rebuttal posted by morning).
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:43:15 AM
At 2/2/2016 2:01:55 AM, Vaarka wrote:

So far I've just gotten countless emails (usually from the same few places that I don't care about) and some mail. Congratz XD

Thanks! That's the usual process, lol. What grade are you in?
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:44:44 AM

And thanks. Be warned that Senior year will be fun yet stress-filled. And when they say do scholarships.... do the freakin scholarships, lol.
Suh dude

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:46:47 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:44:44 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

And thanks. Be warned that Senior year will be fun yet stress-filled. And when they say do scholarships.... do the freakin scholarships, lol.

I can afford the entire tuition, provided I get into a good college.

I most likely won't even stress too hard over a good college though, since I will get a Masters degree either way. I can just go to an easy college, get straight As, and then get into a good university to pursue a Masters.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:51:58 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:46:47 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I most likely won't even stress too hard over a good college though, since I will get a Masters degree either way. I can just go to an easy college, get straight As, and then get into a good university to pursue a Masters.

You are one of the lucky ones, lol.Where do you want to go?
Suh dude

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:54:11 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:51:58 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

University of Chicago for college, but the leftists there will drive me crazy. For university, most likely UPenn or Stanford. The leftists there will drive me crazy too, but whatever.

I might just go to Northwestern University for college, up in Evanston, or even Urbana-Champaign.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:56:43 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:54:11 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

University of Chicago for college, but the leftists there will drive me crazy. For university, most likely UPenn or Stanford. The leftists there will drive me crazy too, but whatever.

I might just go to Northwestern University for college, up in Evanston, or even Urbana-Champaign.

I almost ended up going to the University of Chicago, and I know someone who very well may be. I was also considering Stanford, but it was too much and too far from home for me. You'll fins leftists at every college that will drive you crazy.
Suh dude

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 3:59:29 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:56:43 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

I almost ended up going to the University of Chicago, and I know someone who very well may be. I was also considering Stanford, but it was too much and too far from home for me. You'll fins leftists at every college that will drive you crazy.

Don't turn down UoC. It's a great school, one of the best actually. Where you go for bachelors doesn't matter, as the real degree that counts is the Masters. You can change schools pretty easily, if you were to get As in all of your classes.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 4:02:07 AM
At 2/3/2016 3:59:29 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 2/3/2016 3:56:43 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Don't turn down UoC. It's a great school, one of the best actually. Where you go for bachelors doesn't matter, as the real degree that counts is the Masters. You can change schools pretty easily, if you were to get As in all of your classes.

Don't get me wrong -- I know UoC is a good school, but the only reason I turned it down was because UofL, UK, Transy, and Morehead have some of the best engineering programs in the nation, and UoC was just too far for me.
Suh dude

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 12:10:37 PM
At 2/3/2016 3:43:15 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/2/2016 2:01:55 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Thanks! That's the usual process, lol. What grade are you in?

Sophomore XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 12:47:46 PM

I suggest you not to, if you're able to go to a good college for your bachelor's degree. Way too many students think they can take a 'mediocre college for bachelor's -> good college for MA' path. If you show people this is the education you've got, you'll probably be looked down on as someone of mediocre ability who wants to show off with a degree from a good university.

I'll give an example. A while ago, some alumni of the my university signed a petition condemning current students for participating in political confrontations with authorities. Some people on an online forum laughed at them when they discovered that many of the alumni did their taught masters here, rather than their bachelor's or research postgraduate degrees.

(If by master's you meant an MPhil and not an MA, please ignore what I've written...)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 10:20:18 PM
At 2/3/2016 3:41:15 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Lannan knows what?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 10:25:55 PM
At 2/3/2016 10:20:18 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Lannan knows what?

The state I live in. If I remember correctly, also the city.
Suh dude

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 10:27:32 PM

Lannan knows what?

I told you in a PM a while ago.
Suh dude

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2016 10:33:01 PM
At 2/3/2016 10:25:55 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Lannan knows what?

The state I live in. If I remember correctly, also the city.

Ah yes.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~