Jump to topic:

I took the LSAT this morning...

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 7:50:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At first I wanted to make this an AMA, but those are getting really old, really fast. Instead, I'm going to share my experience with the LSAT: What I did to prep, the night before the test, the day of, and my feelings after completing it. This was a grand experience for me, and I'm happy to have accomplished it. So here it goes:

Prep -

Prepping for the LSAT is obviously the most important determining factor for your future success while taking it. I am a natural procrastinator, I tend to soak up information and retain it better when working under pressure. I would NOT recommend doing this for the LSAT. It was *incredibly* hard breaking this pattern of mine. Ultimately, I gave myself about a week to really prep for it. What I mean by this is that I got the Kaplan Prep Book, and sat for 7+ hours everyday for the last week working through everything I needed to grasp. This both worked and it didn't, which I'll explain further on.

Prep strategy wise - luckily, I was a natural savage at both the Logical Reasoning and Reading Comp. sections, and the written portion was no concern since one of my undergrad majors was in philosophy, forcing me to write essays nearly every night during my final year. The only real portion I had issues with was Analytical Reasoning, otherwise known as the Logic Games. So, for the past week I mostly focused on those.

In regards to Logic games, the key is being able to draw an appropriate diagram while also being able to process that information as fast as possible. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes it can stop you in your tracks - it depends on what they are looking for throughout the game and how well you understand the given rules. I was able to master this, except the time portion. This was also why the procrastination didn't necessarily work - I never gave myself the time to master the *timed* aspect of the LSAT.

Fortunately, this is the kind of test that only counts right answers, so if you run short on time (which is likely to happen to almost everyone at one point) never not fill in the space. At worst you'll have lost the opportunity to get a right answer, and at best those 1/5 odds came through and you guessed right. For me, there were two sections in which I ran out of time - Logic Games and Reading Comp. Neither was TOO much of an issue, as it was only a handful of questions left, but nonetheless those were missed opportunities for guaranteed correct answers.

Thus, in regards to Prepping - GIVE YOURSELF TIME TO MASTER ALL ASPECTS OF THE LSAT. Not just the individual sections, but also the meta-restraints like time and extra difficult questions that might stump you. If you do that, you'll have the best odds of success in regards to prep.

The night before the test -

The night before the test, I was cramming. Most experts tell you to take the night off, relax, watch a movie, eat well, etc., but not I. I crammed the whole day, ate like garbage, and didn't get to bed until 7 hours before the test starts. Luckily, that works for me, I'm used to it and work better under pressure. However, I would not recommend it for the weak minded or uninspired. While my exhaustion didn't affect the test, immediately afterwards when I was able to finally relax - I really dropped fast. As I type this, I am half-asleep and certainly going to take a nap, it was hard getting home and I am not feeling the enthusiasm that most people, who were well-rested before the test, are probably feeling now.

So, I'd recommend you get plenty of rest beforehand. Eat well the morning of and the night before. Have some friends ready to party as soon as you're done. It just seems like it'd be better and more enjoyable. I mean, who wouldn't want a beer after a test like that? As for me, my beer can wait - my pillow is calling.

Day of the Test -

Chill bro, for real. Tensions will never be as high as they are when you are waiting in the lobby surrounded by a hundred other young people all biting their nails and staring into oblivion. You'll over-hear people talking about their strategy, what schools they are applying too, etc., and all of it serves to remind you that the pressure is on!

The best thing to do is to try and calm your mind, remember the lessons you've been doing and why you have done them. This test will serve as the heaviest item of your application package that the schools weigh (about 70% of their decision is based on your LSAT score). Go into the room with a plan of attack, remember that you have prepared for this and will know what to do. Self-Confidence in your own success is key, because going into that test with a bad state of mind is the worst thing you could do.

Listen to the rules carefully and make sure to be respectful of your fellow test-takers. One dude blurted out "Fvck" at one point and those seconds spent looking at him, processing the event that just took place, robbed me of precious time that could have been spent analyzing the questions on the test. Stay as focused as possible and remember that the proctors will give you a 5 minute warning - so no need to waste time looking at your watch or the clock, every second counts.

During the break - snack, hit the restrooms, regain your composure. Remind yourself that you are half-way through and will be finished sooner than ever. Re-motivate yourself and make sure that you go back into that room just as prepared as you were 3 sections ago. The most common issue is that people tend to lose focus or get tired and then start getting sloppy towards the end. STAY SHARP. If that means splashing your face in the water fountain while on break - do it.

For me, I was in the zone - and when I get in the zone I'm good. During my break I simply chatted with the guy next to me, talking about schools we are applying to amongst other small chat. I was just ready to get it over with - screw the 15 minute break man let's do this!! I did, however, stand up and do some basic stretches just to keep my blood flowing.

Afterwards -

Well, what can I say - I did it. I accomplished the most important step towards going to Law School, and now, everything that follows is like a cake walk. Letters of Recommendation? Easy, I have 5 professors on speed dial. Filling out tons of nonsense on LSAC.org? Fine, I'll dedicate a day off of work to bang it all out. Ultimately, I'm now feeling like Law School is a concrete reality. Before the test, it was just a dream - an ambition that I was working towards. Now, it's a reality - all I need to do is complete the last few steps and I've reached my goal.

Do I feel like I scored a 180? Naw. I know there were a few here and there that I probably missed. The handful of guessed answers alone are enough to crush that. However, I do feel confident that I scored well - unlike the guy next to me who quickly proclaimed that he was going to most likely cancel this score. I think I hit my goal of 165 and am certainly not going to spend the next month stressing about my results. I set a realistic goal that won't crush me if I don't attain it, but will also please me greatly if I do - so it's a safe bet in my mind.

For now, I'm going to take a little break from any and all intellectual pursuits. I'm going to catch up with my lady, I'm going to sleep in, and I'm going to relax!!!

For anyone aspiring to go to law school, I wish you nothing but the best of luck. If you ever need or want any advice for anything law-school related, my inbox is always open! I've gone through it, and am still going through it now - so I'd be more than happy to share my experiences with you to help you form a clearer picture of what's to come.

Cheers :)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator & Official Voting Group Czar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 8:20:08 PM
At 2/6/2016 7:50:50 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

How well do you feel you did? I know this is a big deal and can be very stressful, and that can affect your testing ability.
"...feminazis, my favorite number..." ~PeterSmith

"Add that to the Bible, I guess." ~Max

"Isn't everything on this site my arbitrary whim?" ~Max

"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 8:21:28 PM
Oh nvm lol you answered it.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 8:21:53 PM
Folks, never skim a wall of text that size.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2016 8:43:14 PM
At 2/6/2016 8:21:53 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Folks, never skim a wall of text that size.

Lol, it's all good :)
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2016 11:32:20 PM
Congrats, I'm sure you did great.

Now go get those letters of recommendation.
If I gotta go hard on a bitch Ima make it look sexy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 5:09:14 PM

Day of the Test -

Chill bro, for real. Tensions will never be as high as they are when you are waiting in the lobby surrounded by a hundred other young people all biting their nails and staring into oblivion. You'll over-hear people talking about their strategy, what schools they are applying too, etc., and all of it serves to remind you that the pressure is on!

Reminds me of drivers ed. The class portion was extremely boring, and I did not want to fail the test. I knew if I did, lucky me got to take the entire class again, and I'd rather jump off a church steeple than take the class again. I wasso stressed because I never finished the reading...but I passed so yay
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCat: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 5:29:52 PM
At 2/7/2016 11:32:20 PM, Raisor wrote:
Congrats, I'm sure you did great.

Now go get those letters of recommendation.

Indeed, and thank you!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 5:31:17 PM
At 2/8/2016 5:09:14 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Day of the Test -

Reminds me of drivers ed. The class portion was extremely boring, and I did not want to fail the test. I knew if I did, lucky me got to take the entire class again, and I'd rather jump off a church steeple than take the class again. I wasso stressed because I never finished the reading...but I passed so yay

I never had to take a drivers ed class, my highschool offered it as an elective but it was always filled up asap. I'm sure the stress was similar albeit for different tests.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2016 5:24:30 AM
At 2/8/2016 5:31:17 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/8/2016 5:09:14 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Day of the Test -

I never had to take a drivers ed class, my highschool offered it as an elective but it was always filled up asap. I'm sure the stress was similar albeit for different tests.

+1 for being gracious