Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Am bear, AMA

Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 6:06:54 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my urge to talk about myself.

Edited because my grammar is also terrible.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:26:31 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

What have you been doing all this time?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:38:33 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 8:26:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

What have you been doing all this time?

Working, mostly. M-F 8-8, Saturday afternoons - 8, off Sundays. I've been trying to dedicate more time to reading, too. My Kindle Paperwhite has been a great help in this regard.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:40:53 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 8:38:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 8:26:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

What have you been doing all this time?

Working, mostly. M-F 8-8, Saturday afternoons - 8, off Sundays. I've been trying to dedicate more time to reading, too. My Kindle Paperwhite has been a great help in this regard.

Those hours are pretty rough. What's your job?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:57:09 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 8:40:53 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/8/2016 8:38:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 8:26:31 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

What have you been doing all this time?

Working, mostly. M-F 8-8, Saturday afternoons - 8, off Sundays. I've been trying to dedicate more time to reading, too. My Kindle Paperwhite has been a great help in this regard.

Those hours are pretty rough. What's your job?

I have two jobs. I work during the day for a private investigation agency. I'm not an investigator myself, though: I work with surveillance footage, and handle all IT and IT Security functions.

At night, I'm one of the managers of a local retail store called The Friendly Market. Up until very recently, I curated our collection of glass pipes and other smoking accessories. Unfortunately, owing to a legal misunderstanding with my city's police department, our ability to sell glass pipes is suspended pending a trial our shop is involved in.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 8:59:32 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 8:43:26 PM, TheFlex wrote:
Favorite coffee?

Favorite beer?

For coffee, I'm actually very partial to Eight O'Clock's Colombian and Hazelnut blends. For supermarket coffee, I've found that it's hard to beat Eight O'Clock's strong flavor (I take all my coffee black).

Beer is a bit more complicated. I've become a big fan of darker beers--stouts, specifically--and I'd say it's somewhere between Prairie Bomb, Anthem Uroboros (brewed in Oklahoma), and the Tatonka Stout, which is made up in town at a local restaurant/brewhouse called BJ's.
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:19:10 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Are you the founder of DDO?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:19:42 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

NVM
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:22:16 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 9:19:10 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Are you the founder of DDO?

No, but I am a finder of DDO.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,098
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 10:38:39 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 9:22:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 9:19:10 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Are you the founder of DDO?

No, but I am a finder of DDO.

Do you regret finding DDO?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 10:43:18 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Preferred US presidential candidate for 2016?

Political ideology?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 11:56:04 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 10:38:39 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 2/8/2016 9:22:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 9:19:10 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Are you the founder of DDO?

No, but I am a finder of DDO.

Do you regret finding DDO?

No. I think of it in relation to my present training in cognitive discipline the way I think of the Model T in relation to modern automobiles.

The Model T was an amazing innovation in its time, and deserves the historical reverence of the automobile industry as we know it today. But I wouldn't give up my Honda Accord to drive one, and neither would any sane person.

Similarly, I thank DDO for stimulating a lot of my intellectual development, and for giving me a group of peers and several years to test myself and make modifications where I was found wanting. But there eventually came a point for me when I realized I was experiencing severely diminished returns on the time I was spending here, and so I left to dedicate that time instead to pursuing more advanced and throughly-developed educational resources.

And, so I'm not mistaken, I'm not denigrating DDO or the people who use it. It's a fine tool and has its uses, but as far as I'm concerned, those uses have largely been exhausted. I think we all agree that this website is a great place for learning some of the finer points of the art of thinking, but I likewise suspect nobody would contest that the art cannot be mastered here. You can't level up very far if you're content to fight the same monsters all the time, you know?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:06:58 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 10:43:18 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Preferred US presidential candidate for 2016?

I don't have one. Gun to my head, Bernie Sanders. Not because I particularly agree with him (based on policies of his that are known to me), but because I think he would be among the least successful negotiators.

Political ideology?

I don't really claim any political allegiances--not anymore, anyway--but I'm basically a pragmatist. Given a desired result, or set of results, and a fairly narrow and plausible region of policy-space, I tend to pick the option that gives me the most of what I want, as little as possible of what I don't, and which insulates as much as can be hoped against unintended negative consequences. Pretty much the same thing any ordinary person wants, adjusting for differences in objectives.

I guess what I want to get across is that I find the idea of political allegiance fairly dangerous. We all notice how easy it is to get caught up in the sanity vacuum of group affiliation. It becomes more about winning, defending part of your identity, etc. I've seen libertarians and anarchists defend atrocious arguments in favor of their positions merely because to concede would be, at best, to admit defeat. To the extent that politics is war by other means, that makes every argument a battleground, and every group a "side" to be fought for and defended at all costs.

This problem can be at least somewhat ameliorated by approaching politics as "what do I want", rather than "who am I with".
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:14:46 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 12:06:58 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 10:43:18 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Preferred US presidential candidate for 2016?

I don't have one. Gun to my head, Bernie Sanders.

Oh, the irony.

Not because I particularly agree with him (based on policies of his that are known to me), but because I think he would be among the least successful negotiators.

Ah, okay. But why would you "prefer" him, if I can use that word, if he would be among the least successful negotiators? In other words, why is that quality (or lack thereof, however you want to word it) appealing to you?

Political ideology?

I don't really claim any political allegiances--not anymore, anyway--but I'm basically a pragmatist.

That's fair.

Given a desired result, or set of results, and a fairly narrow and plausible region of policy-space, I tend to pick the option that gives me the most of what I want, as little as possible of what I don't, and which insulates as much as can be hoped against unintended negative consequences.

That is a good metric by which to gauge politics.

Pretty much the same thing any ordinary person wants, adjusting for differences in objectives.

I guess what I want to get across is that I find the idea of political allegiance fairly dangerous. We all notice how easy it is to get caught up in the sanity vacuum of group affiliation. It becomes more about winning, defending part of your identity, etc. I've seen libertarians and anarchists defend atrocious arguments in favor of their positions merely because to concede would be, at best, to admit defeat. To the extent that politics is war by other means, that makes every argument a battleground, and every group a "side" to be fought for and defended at all costs.

Unfortunately, that's true. As you've seen, my political "allegiances" don't dictate each of my views. Some views I have are contrary to those of most conservatives, or who value some of the things I value to a greater extent.

This problem can be at least somewhat ameliorated by approaching politics as "what do I want", rather than "who am I with".

That's true.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 12:48:01 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 12:14:46 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/9/2016 12:06:58 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 10:43:18 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Preferred US presidential candidate for 2016?

I don't have one. Gun to my head, Bernie Sanders.

Oh, the irony.

Not because I particularly agree with him (based on policies of his that are known to me), but because I think he would be among the least successful negotiators.

Ah, okay. But why would you "prefer" him, if I can use that word, if he would be among the least successful negotiators? In other words, why is that quality (or lack thereof, however you want to word it) appealing to you?

All else equal, I believe that the federal government accomplishing less is a good thing. The information asymmetry between common people and high-level administration is incredibly high, with more classified information than you can shake a stick at and a Federal Register to which literally thousands of pages are added yearly. The only way it continues is through specialization.

For our purposes, all but the barebones mechanics of congressional procedure are next to opaque, with salient exceptions occasionally plastered on the media (which adds another degree of separation, mind you). Given the high volume of unknown activity, and supposing that congresspeople and bureaucrats (who are yet another unknown quantity) behave even remotely self-interestedly (which is much easier when voters have little to no idea what you're doing apart from a few well-publicized distractions), the best course of action, reasoning from our position of overwhelmingly ignorant uncertainty, would be to encourage a situation wherein they're minimally able to produce new pieces of legislation.

Generally, as you add more pieces to a plan--that is to say, the more things that have to happen for it to go smoothly--you cripple the probability that it will actually come to pass. And what the democratic process is actually asking us to do is to elect candidates in the hope that they'll do more of what we want them to than not (or try, anyway). It requires that they be transparent, that unelected bureaucrats have our best interests at heart/aren't apathetic or ruthless careerists, that legislation will distribute well and fairly at a local level, etc.

If you imagine a branching tree mapping all the possible worlds in the political process, and you encode every step in the process as a binary toggle flip (e.g. "Prez signs/vetoes bill", "Senator keeps campaign promise X"), and you play it all out to the very end, you notice that your desired outcome (or what you'll settle for, at least) is, on a very good day, a small cluster of possible worlds in an embarassingly large space of possible worlds.

For our world, and on this simplistic view, since every step is either a yes/no ("Thing I need to happen happens/doesn't happen), every step you add cuts the probability that you'll get what you want by half. Your candidate wins; your candidate authors the bill; the bill passes... And all the way down. And, of course, this is all happening in a whirlwind of Washington chaos, so you can't even take the probability in isolation. Point is, particularly given the minuscule amount of direct control we have over the political process, and the several upon several degrees of separation between us and the output, putting any confidence in the system is a fool's bet. In this light, interestingly enough, it makes more sense why underdog activist victories are so widely-publicized--they're so improbable that you can't help but celebrate when something goes even sort of right.

So, according to my "use your political nudge to push for as little happening as possible" paradigm, my hypothetical wager would be on Bernie.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:14:11 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 12:48:01 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Not because I particularly agree with him (based on policies of his that are known to me), but because I think he would be among the least successful negotiators.

Ah, okay. But why would you "prefer" him, if I can use that word, if he would be among the least successful negotiators? In other words, why is that quality (or lack thereof, however you want to word it) appealing to you?

All else equal, I believe that the federal government accomplishing less is a good thing. The information asymmetry between common people and high-level administration is incredibly high, with more classified information than you can shake a stick at and a Federal Register to which literally thousands of pages are added yearly. The only way it continues is through specialization.

Very true. We see eye-to-eye on nearly nothing. That's also due to, as you mentioned earlier, allegiance divide. People become blinded by passion for their "group" and association that they neglect fact and pragmatics.

For our purposes, all but the barebones mechanics of congressional procedure are next to opaque, with salient exceptions occasionally plastered on the media (which adds another degree of separation, mind you). Given the high volume of unknown activity, and supposing that congresspeople and bureaucrats (who are yet another unknown quantity) behave even remotely self-interestedly (which is much easier when voters have little to no idea what you're doing apart from a few well-publicized distractions), the best course of action, reasoning from our position of overwhelmingly ignorant uncertainty, would be to encourage a situation wherein they're minimally able to produce new pieces of legislation.

Okay.

Generally, as you add more pieces to a plan--that is to say, the more things that have to happen for it to go smoothly--you cripple the probability that it will actually come to pass. And what the democratic process is actually asking us to do is to elect candidates in the hope that they'll do more of what we want them to than not (or try, anyway). It requires that they be transparent, that unelected bureaucrats have our best interests at heart/aren't apathetic or ruthless careerists, that legislation will distribute well and fairly at a local level, etc.

That's fair. Are you asserting Bernie's democratic socialism reaffirms the idea that he'll get less done (because it's so extreme/different)?

If you imagine a branching tree mapping all the possible worlds in the political process, and you encode every step in the process as a binary toggle flip (e.g. "Prez signs/vetoes bill", "Senator keeps campaign promise X"), and you play it all out to the very end, you notice that your desired outcome (or what you'll settle for, at least) is, on a very good day, a small cluster of possible worlds in an embarassingly large space of possible worlds.

True.

For our world, and on this simplistic view, since every step is either a yes/no ("Thing I need to happen happens/doesn't happen), every step you add cuts the probability that you'll get what you want by half. Your candidate wins; your candidate authors the bill; the bill passes... And all the way down. And, of course, this is all happening in a whirlwind of Washington chaos, so you can't even take the probability in isolation. Point is, particularly given the minuscule amount of direct control we have over the political process, and the several upon several degrees of separation between us and the output, putting any confidence in the system is a fool's bet. In this light, interestingly enough, it makes more sense why underdog activist victories are so widely-publicized--they're so improbable that you can't help but celebrate when something goes even sort of right.

So, according to my "use your political nudge to push for as little happening as possible" paradigm, my hypothetical wager would be on Bernie.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I guess you don't support large government?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:22:17 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:14:11 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/9/2016 12:48:01 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Generally, as you add more pieces to a plan--that is to say, the more things that have to happen for it to go smoothly--you cripple the probability that it will actually come to pass. And what the democratic process is actually asking us to do is to elect candidates in the hope that they'll do more of what we want them to than not (or try, anyway). It requires that they be transparent, that unelected bureaucrats have our best interests at heart/aren't apathetic or ruthless careerists, that legislation will distribute well and fairly at a local level, etc.

That's fair. Are you asserting Bernie's democratic socialism reaffirms the idea that he'll get less done (because it's so extreme/different)?

It has less to do with his specific views than the fact that he actually seems fairly sincere. He's been an ardent activist for like forty years, which makes it pretty unlikely that he's been faking it this entire time.

Because he is both genuine and "extreme", as you say, my prediction is that he will be very unwilling to "play ball" and engage in the usual slick logrolling and earmarking that passes legislation. Unyielding service to principle makes a good speech, but a poor politician on the margin.

For our world, and on this simplistic view, since every step is either a yes/no ("Thing I need to happen happens/doesn't happen), every step you add cuts the probability that you'll get what you want by half. Your candidate wins; your candidate authors the bill; the bill passes... And all the way down. And, of course, this is all happening in a whirlwind of Washington chaos, so you can't even take the probability in isolation. Point is, particularly given the minuscule amount of direct control we have over the political process, and the several upon several degrees of separation between us and the output, putting any confidence in the system is a fool's bet. In this light, interestingly enough, it makes more sense why underdog activist victories are so widely-publicized--they're so improbable that you can't help but celebrate when something goes even sort of right.

So, according to my "use your political nudge to push for as little happening as possible" paradigm, my hypothetical wager would be on Bernie.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I guess you don't support large government?

Indeed. It's not even as much a moral principle as a problem of parsimony. If you think of "enlarging government" as "adding toggles", the situation becomes much clearer because it's at that point a matter of shrinking the relative share of get-what-you-want worlds out in probability space in (1/2)^n proportion to the number of toggles you add.
YYW
Posts: 36,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 1:29:30 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
What do you think are the most pressing social issues that the United States faces?

What policies would you implement to remediate those challenges?

Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?

It's been a long time since you've been on DDO. How have you been? What have you done with the time, if you don't mind my prying? (lol)

What is your impression of the site now, relative to how it was the last time you were here?
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:27:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 1:29:30 AM, YYW wrote:
What do you think are the most pressing social issues that the United States faces?

I think a great many social issues have a common ancestor, which is that almost nobody understands how brains work, and we don't take advantage of the impeccable plasticity of the young brain by trying to get to them early.

What policies would you implement to remediate those challenges?

Probably education reform. I have become apprised of the fact that children are more than up to the task of learning a number of subjects typically reserved for high school and university education. I think it would do kids a great service to teach them early how far the brain actually is from being wired to produce the right answer, and how they can set about rectifying that. Education seems today to be the practice of hammering algorithms and rote skills into messy heads; I think it could be done better as training kids to routinely clear the muck before trying to conquer more complicated tasks.

Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?

That is a very complicated question, suffice to say there is a girl and we are comfortable with the phrase "I love you".

It's been a long time since you've been on DDO. How have you been? What have you done with the time, if you don't mind my prying? (lol)

Working, mostly. I read a lot when I have time, and when I'm not too inebriated to keep my eyes steady on the page.

What is your impression of the site now, relative to how it was the last time you were here?

Still miss the more "Wild West" days of my DDO youth, but I guess it's not too bad. I have no real way to quantify it, but this place could definitely be worse.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:20:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Standard:
What genre of books it your favorite?

Favorite movies/shows?

Favorite sports team(s), if any?

Favorite academic subject?

Mac or PC?

Wait Wut:
If you were being forced to release a deadly disease on a major metropolitan population, what would it be and why?

Would you rather be as small as an electron or as large as skyscraper?

White America or Kim?

Are you Basic?

Other:
Yes or no?

Who dunnit?

If you had to ask me a question, what would it be?

If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

Is there someone you look up to? Why?

If you had to do the exact same thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Scariest moment of your life?

Honest opinion of meh?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 5:46:11 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 3:20:56 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Standard:
What genre of books it your favorite?

Fiction-wise, I like stuff with a lot of political intrigue. I recently finished a series of Star Wars novels dealing with Plagueis, Sidious, and Vader, and I found that very gratifying. Nonfiction, I'd take just about anything. Right now, I'm doing a lot of work with cognitive science, probability theory, behavioral econ, etc.
Favorite movies/shows?

Favorite sports team(s), if any?

I watch it more for the dance than to cheer for a team. I was telling YYW, though, that I've been getting more into basketball and hockey.

Favorite academic subject?

Epistemology is pretty good. The idea of good thinking centering around epistemic virtue is pretty interesting.

Mac or PC?

Depends. I use both, but for totally different purposes. For gaming, PC. Media stuff? Mac. PC is definitely more useful for me when it comes to performing my IT and InfoSec functions, though. Those boxes are usually more receptive to my Kali Linux live boot USB.

Wait Wut:
If you were being forced to release a deadly disease on a major metropolitan population, what would it be and why?

If we're assuming an arbitrary ability to weaponize it, I'd probably use one of the prion diseases. A variant of spongiform encephalopathy perhaps, or fatal familial insomnia. If I'm in the business of releasing a mass infection, you want it to be something excruciating and maximally difficult to cure. To the best of my knowledge, there are no permanent remedies to these very debilitating diseases, so they would probably be the best attack vector.

Would you rather be as small as an electron or as large as skyscraper?

Small as an electron.

White America or Kim?

Forgive my cultural ignorance, but I had to google those two songs, having never heard either of them. I've liked some of Eminem's other work, though, so I'd put it to a coin flip.

Are you Basic?

I have occasionally been known to be. I have a fiery love affair with alcohol, and it has been known to leave me a very curt conversationalist.

Other:
Yes or no?

Por que no los dos?

Who dunnit?

If I didn't, I envy the person who did.

If you had to ask me a question, what would it be?

I would probably ask you what question you would like me to ask you.

If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

Depends on the time of day, but at least one of them would be aimed at exploiting the infinite wish hack. That, or just direct cosmic-level reality manipulation powers, so I don't have to verbally encode my desires.

Is there someone you look up to? Why?

There is, yes. One experience that I've always wanted to have for an extended period is a sort of master-apprentice relationship. Or a mentor, at any rate. This would be the type of person who's just unambiguously smarter than me, and by like two orders of magnitude. Like, threshold 1 in 100,000. I've always had to do things almost on my own in terms of intellectual development, and it's put me in removed contact with some people who were pretty smart. Academic philosophers, dead intellectuals, entire shelves in libraries--but, eventually, you want a lot more than that. I don't just want people who were well-respected, or who did a pretty good job of being accurate, but someone who just is better, if that makes any kind of sense. To have ever studied under someone like Feynman, for example, or to have been very close with Isaac Asimov, just knowing that you're in proximity to one of our species' greatest treasures. Hell, Paul Erd!7;s had this sense lampshaded.

If you had to do the exact same thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Cannabis industry.

Scariest moment of your life?

Nearly murdered.

Honest opinion of meh?

Reserved indifference. My conception of you is not well-developed, I'm sorry to say.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:45:25 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 5:46:11 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/9/2016 3:20:56 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Standard:
What genre of books it your favorite?

Fiction-wise, I like stuff with a lot of political intrigue. I recently finished a series of Star Wars novels dealing with Plagueis, Sidious, and Vader, and I found that very gratifying. Nonfiction, I'd take just about anything. Right now, I'm doing a lot of work with cognitive science, probability theory, behavioral econ, etc.

Do you liek Vince Flynn, Robert Ludlum, and Tom Clancy? I read their books a lot, and they consist of over 1/2 of my personal library.
Favorite movies/shows?

Favorite sports team(s), if any?

I watch it more for the dance than to cheer for a team. I was telling YYW, though, that I've been getting more into basketball and hockey.

Lol, same, but I have recently started supporting teams. I like football (in both senses of the sport) and basketball.

Favorite academic subject?

Epistemology is pretty good. The idea of good thinking centering around epistemic virtue is pretty interesting.

Researched it. This sounds like an interesting class.

Mac or PC?

Depends. I use both, but for totally different purposes. For gaming, PC. Media stuff? Mac. PC is definitely more useful for me when it comes to performing my IT and InfoSec functions, though. Those boxes are usually more receptive to my Kali Linux live boot USB.

Best answer to this question I have ever received. You sure seem to know what you are talking about. :P

Wait Wut:
If you were being forced to release a deadly disease on a major metropolitan population, what would it be and why?

If we're assuming an arbitrary ability to weaponize it, I'd probably use one of the prion diseases. A variant of spongiform encephalopathy perhaps, or fatal familial insomnia. If I'm in the business of releasing a mass infection, you want it to be something excruciating and maximally difficult to cure. To the best of my knowledge, there are no permanent remedies to these very debilitating diseases, so they would probably be the best attack vector.

Wow. Best answer I have ever received to this question as well. I have always been astounded by the prion, and a weaponized prion it would be horrible. Tell me, have you played Plague?

Would you rather be as small as an electron or as large as skyscraper?

Small as an electron.

Same

White America or Kim?

Forgive my cultural ignorance, but I had to google those two songs, having never heard either of them. I've liked some of Eminem's other work, though, so I'd put it to a coin flip.

You are the second person who has a slight idea of what I asked in this question; you are not as ignorant as you think, lol. The score is now 6/2.

The reason I ask this is because both songs are used by the U.S military to deprive prisoners of sleep as a means of torture. I want to see which one people prefer. White America seems to be the favorite.

Are you Basic?

I have occasionally been known to be. I have a fiery love affair with alcohol, and it has been known to leave me a very curt conversationalist.

Lol.

Other:
Yes or no?

Por que no los dos?

Eh, why not?

Who dunnit?

If I didn't, I envy the person who did.

Lol.

If you had to ask me a question, what would it be?

I would probably ask you what question you would like me to ask you.

I would tell you to that I want you to ask me any question you desire.

If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

Depends on the time of day, but at least one of them would be aimed at exploiting the infinite wish hack. That, or just direct cosmic-level reality manipulation powers, so I don't have to verbally encode my desires.

I always go for the infinite wish hack, but if that wasn't a possibility, I would wish for the ability to manipulate anything within the abstract -- thought, feelings, emotions -- and in the concrete -- really everything I want to here.

Is there someone you look up to? Why?

There is, yes. One experience that I've always wanted to have for an extended period is a sort of master-apprentice relationship. Or a mentor, at any rate. This would be the type of person who's just unambiguously smarter than me, and by like two orders of magnitude. Like, threshold 1 in 100,000. I've always had to do things almost on my own in terms of intellectual development, and it's put me in removed contact with some people who were pretty smart. Academic philosophers, dead intellectuals, entire shelves in libraries--but, eventually, you want a lot more than that. I don't just want people who were well-respected, or who did a pretty good job of being accurate, but someone who just is better, if that makes any kind of sense. To have ever studied under someone like Feynman, for example, or to have been very close with Isaac Asimov, just knowing that you're in proximity to one of our species' greatest treasures. Hell, Paul Erd!7;s had this sense lampshaded.

Good answer. You seem more able to express yourself than the majority of this site.

I have always wondered what it would be like to work with Schrodinger and Niels Bohr. I look up to and admire their work in the field of Quantum Mechanics.

If you had to do the exact same thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Cannabis industry.

Lol

Scariest moment of your life?

Nearly murdered.

Ohh....

Honest opinion of meh?

Reserved indifference. My conception of you is not well-developed, I'm sorry to say.

Eh, I can be passionate about things, but I usually try not to let that show. This is honestly the first time I have seen on this site, so I didn't expect a developed answer anyway, lol.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
YYW
Posts: 36,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 3:35:27 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 2:27:03 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:29:30 AM, YYW wrote:
What do you think are the most pressing social issues that the United States faces?

I think a great many social issues have a common ancestor, which is that almost nobody understands how brains work, and we don't take advantage of the impeccable plasticity of the young brain by trying to get to them early.

What would you say is the "common ancestor"?

What policies would you implement to remediate those challenges?

Probably education reform. I have become apprised of the fact that children are more than up to the task of learning a number of subjects typically reserved for high school and university education. I think it would do kids a great service to teach them early how far the brain actually is from being wired to produce the right answer, and how they can set about rectifying that. Education seems today to be the practice of hammering algorithms and rote skills into messy heads; I think it could be done better as training kids to routinely clear the muck before trying to conquer more complicated tasks.

What specific subjects would you want taught earlier, and at what age would you teach them?

(I agree with your answer, there... the pseudoscience that formerly justified not teaching calculus to students until they were in high school or college is just that... pseudoscience.)

Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?

That is a very complicated question, suffice to say there is a girl and we are comfortable with the phrase "I love you".

haha cool. Happy to hear that...

It's been a long time since you've been on DDO. How have you been? What have you done with the time, if you don't mind my prying? (lol)

Working, mostly. I read a lot when I have time, and when I'm not too inebriated to keep my eyes steady on the page.

How much do you drink, daily, on average?

What is your impression of the site now, relative to how it was the last time you were here?

Still miss the more "Wild West" days of my DDO youth, but I guess it's not too bad. I have no real way to quantify it, but this place could definitely be worse.

Me too. The wild west days were more fun; now things are over-moderated. Call someone an idiot and you're likely to be hassled by moderation. Call someone a fucktard and you're likely to get banned.

The justifications for that is that it keeps everything more "civil." But the reality is that it's just to keep the prudes on this site from b!tching and moaning, as they seem perpetually inclined to do.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 6:21:43 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 2:45:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Do you liek Vince Flynn, Robert Ludlum, and Tom Clancy? I read their books a lot, and they consist of over 1/2 of my personal library.

I can't say I've ever read anything by those authors. I've heard of Tom Clancy, but my only knowledge of Ludlum is Bourne, same as most people.

Wait Wut:
If you were being forced to release a deadly disease on a major metropolitan population, what would it be and why?

If we're assuming an arbitrary ability to weaponize it, I'd probably use one of the prion diseases. A variant of spongiform encephalopathy perhaps, or fatal familial insomnia. If I'm in the business of releasing a mass infection, you want it to be something excruciating and maximally difficult to cure. To the best of my knowledge, there are no permanent remedies to these very debilitating diseases, so they would probably be the best attack vector.

Wow. Best answer I have ever received to this question as well. I have always been astounded by the prion, and a weaponized prion it would be horrible. Tell me, have you played Plague?

I have not. Sounds like it could be fun, though.


White America or Kim?

Forgive my cultural ignorance, but I had to google those two songs, having never heard either of them. I've liked some of Eminem's other work, though, so I'd put it to a coin flip.

You are the second person who has a slight idea of what I asked in this question; you are not as ignorant as you think, lol. The score is now 6/2.

The reason I ask this is because both songs are used by the U.S military to deprive prisoners of sleep as a means of torture. I want to see which one people prefer. White America seems to be the favorite.

I knew that they used grating music for sleep deprivation, but I had no idea they were using Eminem. I've learned something today.

If you had to ask me a question, what would it be?

I would probably ask you what question you would like me to ask you.

I would tell you to that I want you to ask me any question you desire.

And I would tell you that I just did. Roasted.

If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

Depends on the time of day, but at least one of them would be aimed at exploiting the infinite wish hack. That, or just direct cosmic-level reality manipulation powers, so I don't have to verbally encode my desires.

I always go for the infinite wish hack, but if that wasn't a possibility, I would wish for the ability to manipulate anything within the abstract -- thought, feelings, emotions -- and in the concrete -- really everything I want to here.

Yeah, I feel like the "three wishes" thing is a wash if you can just shortcut to omnipotence.

Honest opinion of meh?

Reserved indifference. My conception of you is not well-developed, I'm sorry to say.

Eh, I can be passionate about things, but I usually try not to let that show. This is honestly the first time I have seen on this site, so I didn't expect a developed answer anyway, lol.

I can just post a stream of dumb memes and cat pictures if that would be more in line with your expectations.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 6:34:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 6:21:43 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/9/2016 2:45:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Do you liek Vince Flynn, Robert Ludlum, and Tom Clancy? I read their books a lot, and they consist of over 1/2 of my personal library.

I can't say I've ever read anything by those authors. I've heard of Tom Clancy, but my only knowledge of Ludlum is Bourne, same as most people.

Mmm. You should read some of their work. They are amazing.

Wait Wut:
If you were being forced to release a deadly disease on a major metropolitan population, what would it be and why?

If we're assuming an arbitrary ability to weaponize it, I'd probably use one of the prion diseases. A variant of spongiform encephalopathy perhaps, or fatal familial insomnia. If I'm in the business of releasing a mass infection, you want it to be something excruciating and maximally difficult to cure. To the best of my knowledge, there are no permanent remedies to these very debilitating diseases, so they would probably be the best attack vector.

Wow. Best answer I have ever received to this question as well. I have always been astounded by the prion, and a weaponized prion it would be horrible. Tell me, have you played Plague?

I have not. Sounds like it could be fun, though.

It is. You build your own disease, release it, fight the cure efforts, and annihilate humanity.


White America or Kim?

Forgive my cultural ignorance, but I had to google those two songs, having never heard either of them. I've liked some of Eminem's other work, though, so I'd put it to a coin flip.

You are the second person who has a slight idea of what I asked in this question; you are not as ignorant as you think, lol. The score is now 6/2.

The reason I ask this is because both songs are used by the U.S military to deprive prisoners of sleep as a means of torture. I want to see which one people prefer. White America seems to be the favorite.

I knew that they used grating music for sleep deprivation, but I had no idea they were using Eminem. I've learned something today.

Yep. I recently found this out myself. It is interesting.


If you had to ask me a question, what would it be?

I would probably ask you what question you would like me to ask you.

I would tell you to that I want you to ask me any question you desire.

And I would tell you that I just did. Roasted.

The you fulfilled my desires. :)

If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?

Depends on the time of day, but at least one of them would be aimed at exploiting the infinite wish hack. That, or just direct cosmic-level reality manipulation powers, so I don't have to verbally encode my desires.

I always go for the infinite wish hack, but if that wasn't a possibility, I would wish for the ability to manipulate anything within the abstract -- thought, feelings, emotions -- and in the concrete -- really everything I want to here.

Yeah, I feel like the "three wishes" thing is a wash if you can just shortcut to omnipotence.

Yeah. For some reason people fail to think of this.

Honest opinion of meh?

Reserved indifference. My conception of you is not well-developed, I'm sorry to say.

Eh, I can be passionate about things, but I usually try not to let that show. This is honestly the first time I have seen on this site, so I didn't expect a developed answer anyway, lol.

I can just post a stream of dumb memes and cat pictures if that would be more in line with your expectations.

Oh, no, lol. Your answer is more than satisfactory considering the circumstances.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 7:04:08 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 3:35:27 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/9/2016 2:27:03 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/9/2016 1:29:30 AM, YYW wrote:
What do you think are the most pressing social issues that the United States faces?

I think a great many social issues have a common ancestor, which is that almost nobody understands how brains work, and we don't take advantage of the impeccable plasticity of the young brain by trying to get to them early.

What would you say is the "common ancestor"?

which is that almost nobody understands how brains work, and we don't take advantage of the impeccable plasticity of the young brain by trying to get to them early.

Because I do have many social advantages, whether you want to think of those as "privileges" or not--I'm white, decently well-off for my age, well-spoken, well-dressed, polite, educated--I have what almost certainly is the privilege of thinking pretty disinterestedly about social issues. I'm less likely to get frustrated or deeply passionate, so I see most of them as intellectual errors, instead of ethical/emotional problems. Minorities who experience marginalization or organized prejudice from the dominant cultural force, for example--I think it's problematic, but not because I'm super enthusiastic about social justice as much as "This wouldn't be a problem if our brains were optimized for efficient and continuous information processing".

Racism, sexism, _________phobia, prostitution, drug law, the environment, immigration, nontraditional marriage, "whose supernatural thing is the True Way"--brains take all kinds of shortcuts, detours, and bizarre leaps of credulity, and I think it (very plainly) results in everyone coming to ridiculous conclusions about things. It's easy enough to think about individual foibles or biases, but, when you really, viscerally apprehend the fact that all of that stuff is always already simultaneously going on, it honestly leaves me flabbergasted that the world didn't somehow turn out even worse.

What policies would you implement to remediate those challenges?

Probably education reform. I have become apprised of the fact that children are more than up to the task of learning a number of subjects typically reserved for high school and university education. I think it would do kids a great service to teach them early how far the brain actually is from being wired to produce the right answer, and how they can set about rectifying that. Education seems today to be the practice of hammering algorithms and rote skills into messy heads; I think it could be done better as training kids to routinely clear the muck before trying to conquer more complicated tasks.

What specific subjects would you want taught earlier, and at what age would you teach them?

That's a hard thing to say, and not just because I'm not an education specialist. Like I told ColeTrain, the more specific details you start to attach to a plan, the more likelihood you shave off that it'll actually turn out that way.

Top three, though?

Calculus, definitely, mixed with a good dose of probability theory.
Free play--I'd come up with ad hoc lesson plans, modifiable on the fly, just to explore stuff without forcing too much structure.
Some kind of cognitive science regimen--I don't know I'd go as deep into anatomy/physiology as just a kind of an open-ended literature review where we rely heavily on replicating a lot of classic and contemporary experiments (e.g., marshmallow test, 2-4-6 test, simple prisoner's dilemma). I think an important educational tool for children is using paradigms, instead of just trying to hammer down theory or rote memorization. Without prior exposure to a concept, if you introduce something to them in the form of an example, as kind of an experience or a story, you manage to both begin construction of the general principle in their head while exemplifying the class by instantiating it in a fun exercise. I have disappointing memories of high school math--"here are some theorems, here are some definitions, here are a set of decontextualized rules for applying them, aaaaand, here are practice problems." I think if you put them in the center of the experimental procedure, and you demonstrate the mechanics of what you want to explain without preprogramming them in advance with any explanation or definition or anything like that, you could achieve some fantastic results. I haven't tested my hypothesis, of course, or done too much digging, but I'd be willing to wager money if I had a group of kids.

(I agree with your answer, there... the pseudoscience that formerly justified not teaching calculus to students until they were in high school or college is just that... pseudoscience.)

Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?

That is a very complicated question, suffice to say there is a girl and we are comfortable with the phrase "I love you".

haha cool. Happy to hear that...

It's been a long time since you've been on DDO. How have you been? What have you done with the time, if you don't mind my prying? (lol)

Working, mostly. I read a lot when I have time, and when I'm not too inebriated to keep my eyes steady on the page.

How much do you drink, daily, on average?

Averaged over a week, I might have a few drinks a night. There's a lot of local variance, though.

My drink of choice is a double whiskey sour, rocks glass. Usually, though, it ends up being a glass of whiskey with a splash of sour.

What is your impression of the site now, relative to how it was the last time you were here?

Still miss the more "Wild West" days of my DDO youth, but I guess it's not too bad. I have no real way to quantify it, but this place could definitely be worse.

Me too. The wild west days were more fun; now things are over-moderated. Call someone an idiot and you're likely to be hassled by moderation. Call someone a fucktard and you're likely to get banned.

The justifications for that is that it keeps everything more "civil." But the reality is that it's just to keep the prudes on this site from b!tching and moaning, as they seem perpetually inclined to do.

Yeah, I mean, I don't know that I'm too into calling people idiots or fucktards. I've worked relentlessly to cultivate my adeptness at remaining patient with people, and, for what it's worth, I guess I don't really find it productive to antagonize, even if I'm thoroughly and for good reason convinced that they're wrong, and even if I think that mistake is super-duper obvious.

I guess the fundamental thing for me, though, is why I'd want to start being mean to somebody. Not in the "Why can't we all just get along" sense, but, literally, what is my objective such that this is the best tactic my brain could devise? I sort of embarrass myself that way, because, in cases where I have been inclined to insult someone, I realize that I'm really just trying to say something like "Look, we've done this dance n times, and it's clear that there is too much inferential distance between the two of us for me to satisfactorily explain how I arrived at my position to you in a short period of time, nor does it appear in either case that you're likely to stop being condescending about how right you believe you are, even if it turns out we're both wrong, despite the fact that you're at least two or three levels of easy-to-see wrongness deeper", but, lacking the presence of mind to just say that, I feel the urge to compress that entire feeling in an expletive, totally unconcerned with whether the meaning is transmitted.

It's around then I realize I'm just being lazy, so I usually just let them go on, which is usually what people are likely to do in those kinds of conversations irrespective of how I may have behaved.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2016 4:06:53 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/9/2016 12:06:58 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2016 10:43:18 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 2/8/2016 6:03:50 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Because I like talking about myself, like more or less everybody ever, but I need to make use of the thinly-veiled excuse of doing others the service of satisfying their curiosity to validate my the urge to talk about myself.

Preferred US presidential candidate for 2016?

I don't have one. Gun to my head, Bernie Sanders. Not because I particularly agree with him (based on policies of his that are known to me), but because I think he would be among the least successful negotiators.

The same thing has crossed my mind, but I've been too embarassed to bring it up, because I hate his policies. I may end up voting for him, strictly based on that. My pragmatic nature often rubs people the wrong way

Political ideology?

I don't really claim any political allegiances--not anymore, anyway--but I'm basically a pragmatist. Given a desired result, or set of results, and a fairly narrow and plausible region of policy-space, I tend to pick the option that gives me the most of what I want, as little as possible of what I don't, and which insulates as much as can be hoped against unintended negative consequences. Pretty much the same thing any ordinary person wants, adjusting for differences in objectives.

I guess what I want to get across is that I find the idea of political allegiance fairly dangerous. We all notice how easy it is to get caught up in the sanity vacuum of group affiliation. It becomes more about winning, defending part of your identity, etc. I've seen libertarians and anarchists defend atrocious arguments in favor of their positions merely because to concede would be, at best, to admit defeat. To the extent that politics is war by other means, that makes every argument a battleground, and every group a "side" to be fought for and defended at all costs.

This problem can be at least somewhat ameliorated by approaching politics as "what do I want", rather than "who am I with".