I Ain't Sure If I Wanna Get With My Friend

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 5:58:40 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/16/2016 3:33:43 PM, ImaRealMeanie wrote:
So half of me wants to date my friend and the other half is a definite no. The heck do I do?

Why do you half want to and half don't?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 6:08:07 PM
At 2/16/2016 5:58:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
So half of me wants to date my friend and the other half is a definite no. The heck do I do?

Well, half of me wants to because she's a nice girl and we hang out a lot. She's cute, and sometimes we lay next to each other and almost fall asleep.

The other half doesn't want to because I don't want to accidentally ruin our friendship, and I'm not sure if I just really like her as my best friend or I want her to be more. Also, I don't think I'd be good in those kinds of relationships anyway.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 6:10:23 PM
At 2/16/2016 6:08:07 PM, ImaRealMeanie wrote:

Well, half of me wants to because she's a nice girl and we hang out a lot. She's cute, and sometimes we lay next to each other and almost fall asleep.

The other half doesn't want to because I don't want to accidentally ruin our friendship, and I'm not sure if I just really like her as my best friend or I want her to be more. Also, I don't think I'd be good in those kinds of relationships anyway.

Relationships is about taking chances. If you don't take these kinds of chances then you'll never find "the one."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:06:06 PM
At 2/16/2016 6:10:23 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Relationships is about taking chances. If you don't take these kinds of chances then you'll never find "the one."

You sure? I mean, I might just be misinterpreting my feelings somehow. And also, I'm religious, and I don't want to feel like I'm doing something bad.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:10:31 PM
At 2/16/2016 8:06:06 PM, ImaRealMeanie wrote:

You sure? I mean, I might just be misinterpreting my feelings somehow. And also, I'm religious, and I don't want to feel like I'm doing something bad.

choosing someone to date is not at all a sin.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 8:27:28 PM
At 2/16/2016 8:10:31 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

No, what I mean is, well, I'm a female, she's a female... you get what I mean?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 9:40:17 PM
At 2/16/2016 8:27:28 PM, ImaRealMeanie wrote:

No. Don't.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 9:55:38 PM

You think you're having a crisis of faith? Really, I don't think there's any internal contradiction between being gay and being Christian, as long as you're not a fundie. Better to go for it and get rejected than to not and wonder what could've happened.
ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 11:04:18 PM
At 2/16/2016 9:55:38 PM, Torton wrote:

You think you're having a crisis of faith? Really, I don't think there's any internal contradiction between being gay and being Christian, as long as you're not a fundie. Better to go for it and get rejected than to not and wonder what could've happened.

Well, I guess so. Maybe I'll try telling her tomorrow. But how the heck am I supposed to tell her? 'Hey, I might be gay for you or I might not let's make out to see what happens'
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 11:39:01 PM
At 2/16/2016 11:04:18 PM, ImaRealMeanie wrote:
At 2/16/2016 9:55:38 PM, Torton wrote:

Well, I guess so. Maybe I'll try telling her tomorrow. But how the heck am I supposed to tell her? 'Hey, I might be gay for you or I might not let's make out to see what happens'

I've had someone I know do this to me, like...exactly the same thing. He was a guy, and I'm a guy, and you get what I'm saying.
I guess, well, you gotta find out for yourself. Do you think she'd say yes? Is there reason why you think she'd say no (and what are they)?
But further more, this being one of the most important parts, is respecting her answer, whatever it may be, and staying friends.

Idk how to help you with this, exactly, but I guess that's a start?

Also, while writing this, my cat opened the door and came into my room, so I closed the door, and then he wanted to leave, so he opened the door and left, so I closed it again...and then about 30 seconds later, he opens it again and comes in....and this process repeated itself five times.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 11:41:21 PM
At 2/16/2016 11:39:01 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Also, while writing this, my cat opened the door and came into my room, so I closed the door, and then he wanted to leave, so he opened the door and left, so I closed it again...and then about 30 seconds later, he opens it again and comes in....and this process repeated itself five times.

SAAAAMMMEEEE

I have 3 cats. They do this all the time to me.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2016 11:45:17 PM
At 2/16/2016 11:41:21 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

SAAAAMMMEEEE

XD I have two cats. One is smart enough to realize the latch on my door is broken, and he can just push it open (or pull it from the inside by sticking his paw under the door and pulling it towards him). The other one just sits there and bats at the door, slowly getting more and more upset that no one is paying constant attention to him.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 12:20:08 AM
At 2/16/2016 11:45:17 PM, Vaarka wrote:
XD I have two cats. One is smart enough to realize the latch on my door is broken, and he can just push it open (or pull it from the inside by sticking his paw under the door and pulling it towards him). The other one just sits there and bats at the door, slowly getting more and more upset that no one is paying constant attention to him.

Sorry for the late response. Was eating pizza.

I have a cat who is too fat and lazy to bother opening the door, another one who is too stupid to stick his paw under and pull -- he just jams his face into the door an pushes, and I have another cat who practically doesn't care that I (or anyone in my family) exist, so she doesn't come in at all.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 1:58:07 AM
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 2:22:41 AM

Well.
I can personally give a good account of this because I'm going through pretty much the exact same stuff you are. I'm a guy, I liked a guy, and I'm a person of faith.

The only difference is I actually went ahead and asked him if he liked me. He responded no, but I'm still lucky to have him as my best friend. And to be honest it's been pretty sh*tty since then for me. I hang out with him nearly every day at school, and his face is just a reminder of my feelings and how they'll never be returned. It sounds rough, and that's because it is. I won't try and sugarcoat it because there's no need for it.

Now I don't know you on a personal level so I can't really give you a huge amount of advice like I would normally do to a friend. But what I CAN say is the following:

FIRSTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT feel like this is something you have to, or should, rush. Give it time. Think. Don't just rush in on unprepared words and kiss them on the lips, because it'll likely not be received well.

2. How close is your friend? This means a ton. If they're just a friend you hang out with every once in a while or one you don't see as often, then it's less likely they'll like you too.

3. Have you given it time? I know this sounds really lame, but time really is a helper. You'll figure out whether it's just an impulse of emotions you're experiencing or whether you truly want to spend your life with that person. I know the latter was the case with me, because I've been hurting each day about it since I told him and it's been over half a year since I did.

4. How accepting is your friend? If they tend to gossip a lot, talk other people down, etc. you might not want to tell them that you like them, let alone that you like people of the same sex. Make sure it's someone you're 100% confident you can trust, because those kinds of things are really subject to bullying, believe me.

5. Are you OK with a harsh reality? Even though I'm hurting because my friend doesn't like me back, I still have to tell myself "it's not happening" each time I think about me being with him. And it's not an easy feeling. A lot of people can get over these easily, I personally can't. I don't know how you function individually so I can't say, but just be prepared for "no".

6. Prepare in advance for what you're going to say. AGAIN, LAME, but you don't just want to head up to your best friend and say "hey I like you" and have that be it. Give some reasons why, and explain how if she doesn't like you back, you'll still value her as a friend and you'll hope she does the same. Something along those lines.

If they do like you back, you'll experience love at its finest. If not, you need to grit your teeth and try to move on.

But my honest advice is once you've thought through if you truly like them or not, and what you're going to say, et cetera, don't do it during school. If they reject you it'll be absolutely awful and you'll have to live with that bad feeling throughout the rest of the school day and so will your friend. In addition, if it gets a bit "emotional", others might see and make fun of you for it.

But once you're confident enough, you've given it time, and you know what to say, I'd say go for it. After all, if they're truly a great friend, even if they say they don't like you back, they'll still love you and care for you as a friend.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 2:30:34 AM
At 2/17/2016 2:22:41 AM, Valkrin wrote:

Well.
I can personally give a good account of this because I'm going through pretty much the exact same stuff you are. I'm a guy, I liked a guy, and I'm a person of faith.

The only difference is I actually went ahead and asked him if he liked me. He responded no, but I'm still lucky to have him as my best friend. And to be honest it's been pretty sh*tty since then for me. I hang out with him nearly every day at school, and his face is just a reminder of my feelings and how they'll never be returned. It sounds rough, and that's because it is. I won't try and sugarcoat it because there's no need for it.

Now I don't know you on a personal level so I can't really give you a huge amount of advice like I would normally do to a friend. But what I CAN say is the following:

FIRSTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT feel like this is something you have to, or should, rush. Give it time. Think. Don't just rush in on unprepared words and kiss them on the lips, because it'll likely not be received well.

2. How close is your friend? This means a ton. If they're just a friend you hang out with every once in a while or one you don't see as often, then it's less likely they'll like you too.

3. Have you given it time? I know this sounds really lame, but time really is a helper. You'll figure out whether it's just an impulse of emotions you're experiencing or whether you truly want to spend your life with that person. I know the latter was the case with me, because I've been hurting each day about it since I told him and it's been over half a year since I did.

4. How accepting is your friend? If they tend to gossip a lot, talk other people down, etc. you might not want to tell them that you like them, let alone that you like people of the same sex. Make sure it's someone you're 100% confident you can trust, because those kinds of things are really subject to bullying, believe me.

5. Are you OK with a harsh reality? Even though I'm hurting because my friend doesn't like me back, I still have to tell myself "it's not happening" each time I think about me being with him. And it's not an easy feeling. A lot of people can get over these easily, I personally can't. I don't know how you function individually so I can't say, but just be prepared for "no".

6. Prepare in advance for what you're going to say. AGAIN, LAME, but you don't just want to head up to your best friend and say "hey I like you" and have that be it. Give some reasons why, and explain how if she doesn't like you back, you'll still value her as a friend and you'll hope she does the same. Something along those lines.

If they do like you back, you'll experience love at its finest. If not, you need to grit your teeth and try to move on.

But my honest advice is once you've thought through if you truly like them or not, and what you're going to say, et cetera, don't do it during school. If they reject you it'll be absolutely awful and you'll have to live with that bad feeling throughout the rest of the school day and so will your friend. In addition, if it gets a bit "emotional", others might see and make fun of you for it.

But once you're confident enough, you've given it time, and you know what to say, I'd say go for it. After all, if they're truly a great friend, even if they say they don't like you back, they'll still love you and care for you as a friend.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I'll have you know that I've thought about this for a long time, and I put this up on Debate just to get an outsider's view. I'm feeling a bit more confident after this- so, if I do tell my friend about it, then I'll let you guys know what results from it. Thanks again.
ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 2:53:27 AM
I have an announcement to make! I will tell my friend about my feelings later tomorrow. I will tell you all the results when I can. Wish me luck, everyone!
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 3:17:51 PM
Cats. I have many stories, but these days they are 18 and 17, so they don't do much. I guess being lazy is better then being excessivley frustrating.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 9:09:39 PM

SAAAAMMMEEEE

How do you manage 3 cats? I have one cat and I have a hard time managing him.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 9:11:31 PM
At 2/17/2016 9:09:39 PM, famousdebater wrote:

SAAAAMMMEEEE

Cats are mysterious.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 9:21:37 PM

SAAAAMMMEEEE

Well, I have 10, but 7 of them are outside cats. I guess it just helps that I have been around a lot of animals my whole life. I was raised on a farm.

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2016 9:22:02 PM
At 2/17/2016 9:11:31 PM, Vaarka wrote:

SAAAAMMMEEEE

Cats are mysterious.

+1

ImaRealMeanie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 1:57:23 AM
Well, I did it everyone.

Her reaction, basically, was no.

She was pretty chill about it, so I don't feel as bad as I thought I would, but it still hits pretty hard. Thanks for all you guy's advice though, this place is great!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:00:32 AM
At 2/18/2016 1:57:23 AM, ImaRealMeanie wrote:
Well, I did it everyone.

She was pretty chill about it, so I don't feel as bad as I thought I would, but it still hits pretty hard. Thanks for all you guy's advice though, this place is great!

Glad to see she seems okay with it :3

Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:20:49 AM
Well, I did it everyone.

Glad I could help.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:39:15 AM
Well, I did it everyone.

Sweet!

Sorry to hear that. D:

Well, that's good. :)

It'll hurt, but at least she is feeling OK about it. I never said this: welcome to the site!

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:08:16 PM
At 2/17/2016 9:21:37 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

SAAAAMMMEEEE

Well, I have 10, but 7 of them are outside cats. I guess it just helps that I have been around a lot of animals my whole life. I was raised on a farm.

Wow. 10 cats ... even if 7 are outdoor cats it's still difficult. I suppose being raised on a farm does help though.
John Galsworthy
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:28:23 PM
At 2/18/2016 2:08:16 PM, famousdebater wrote:

SAAAAMMMEEEE

Wow. 10 cats ... even if 7 are outdoor cats it's still difficult. I suppose being raised on a farm does help though.

Eh, I had 12, but we got rid of 2 of them last month.

And it really does. When I still lived there, we had 5 cats, 3 dogs, 5 horses, and a pack of guinea hens that the whole neighborhood (if you could call 20 farms and about 50 people on a 1-way street a neighborhood, lol) took care of.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 2:30:06 PM
At 2/18/2016 2:28:23 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 2/18/2016 2:08:16 PM, famousdebater wrote:

SAAAAMMMEEEE

Eh, I had 12, but we got rid of 2 of them last month.

And it really does. When I still lived there, we had 5 cats, 3 dogs, 5 horses, and a pack of guinea hens that the whole neighborhood (if you could call 20 farms and about 50 people on a 1-way street a neighborhood, lol) took care of.

That is a lot of animals. Cats are epic though. Did the cats and dogs get along?
John Galsworthy