Jump to topic:

How do you actually find yourself?

Eagle_skittle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 12:11:35 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Im 23, recent grad and I honestly don't want to pursue a job in my career. For a long time I felt like I've been something I'm not. I've lost many friends because I'm so introverted to the point where I just don't want to hang out with anyone anymore. The funny part about my personality is that I'm a salesmen at the moment and a darn good one. But once I leave work I shut down and just want to stay in. I seem to analyze everything too much, and I think it could be the root cause of my problems and minor depression. I jump from one idea to the other and I go threw so many phases its ridiculous. Im scared of making that career choice and finding a balance between work and life.

My question I guess is what is happiness? How do you find the energy to go for those big dreams.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 12:27:03 AM
Choosing a career based on your talents isn't necessarily going to lead to happiness. And letting others - parents, society, etc - decide for you almost definitely won't. It's a matter of doing what you want. That's what is most important. Everything else comes after.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2016 11:49:57 PM
At 2/22/2016 12:11:35 AM, Eagle_skittle wrote:
Im 23, recent grad and I honestly don't want to pursue a job in my career. For a long time I felt like I've been something I'm not. I've lost many friends because I'm so introverted to the point where I just don't want to hang out with anyone anymore. The funny part about my personality is that I'm a salesmen at the moment and a darn good one. But once I leave work I shut down and just want to stay in. I seem to analyze everything too much, and I think it could be the root cause of my problems and minor depression. I jump from one idea to the other and I go threw so many phases its ridiculous. Im scared of making that career choice and finding a balance between work and life.

My question I guess is what is happiness? How do you find the energy to go for those big dreams.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Happiness is one emotion, of dozens, and frankly it's not even the most interesting. Don't fall for the "pursuit of" myth.

2. What you seek is purpose, not happiness. The former begets the latter in most cases.

3. Welcome to the world. Remember the one (every) video game where you enter as a low level character with no skills and powers then you run around collecting coins (gems, power ups, cash, xp)? That's you. Collect them. Keep the job, join a gym, theater group, sports club, bowling league, soup kitchen, musical instrument, pet adoption, traveling circus... Doesn't matter. Do something. Get XP. Level up. Purpose will follow, just St like the game.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:59:46 PM
At 2/22/2016 11:49:57 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
3. Welcome to the world. Remember the one (every) video game where you enter as a low level character with no skills and powers then you run around collecting coins (gems, power ups, cash, xp)? That's you. Collect them. Keep the job, join a gym, theater group, sports club, bowling league, soup kitchen, musical instrument, pet adoption, traveling circus... Doesn't matter. Do something. Get XP. Level up. Purpose will follow, just St like the game.

VERY pedagogical and insightful! :) Cheers.