Jump to topic:

Famous' 2k posts AMA/HOY

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:37:07 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
You can ask me anything or ask for an honest opinion. Even if I answered an honest opinion or a question for you last AMA / HOY, I am still willing to answer them again as my opinions on some users have changed and my opinions on some questions have changed too.

I accidentally posted this in the miscellaneous forum too. Ignore that thread and post in this one. Max is going to delete that one.

With that said, ask away!
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:38:42 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:37:07 PM, famousdebater wrote:
You can ask me anything or ask for an honest opinion. Even if I answered an honest opinion or a question for you last AMA / HOY, I am still willing to answer them again as my opinions on some users have changed and my opinions on some questions have changed too.

I accidentally posted this in the miscellaneous forum too. Ignore that thread and post in this one. Max is going to delete that one.

Honest opinion and what do you think is the most American thing?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:49:43 PM

HOY
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:51:05 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:38:42 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Honest opinion and what do you think is the most American thing?

Well I'm from the UK but the thing that comes to mind when people mention America tends to be guns.

Now onto the HOY, you're a great polls moderator and contributor to the forums. You know a lot about a large variation of different topics which means that you can contribute to all the different forums as oppose to just a few. We haven't really interacted that much (I think I might have mentioned that on my 1k posts HOY), so I can't really say much more on a personal level. From what I've seen you're a great person though.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:55:45 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:49:43 PM, Vaarka wrote:

HOY

We've only began interacting quite recently though I'm sure as time goes by you'll come when of my better friends on the site. You're a genuinely kind and friendly guy who is really easy to get along with. You're a great contributor to the forums, as well as providing good conversation and less serious topics to the forums you also provide very intellectual and clever insights. Finding both people that are friendly and great with conversation as well as being very intelligent is hard to find and that's a great attribute that you have. I hope to continue to interact with you as I think I will be spending an increasing amount of my time in the forums as oppose to debating.
John Galsworthy
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:57:24 PM
hoy
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:08:25 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:57:24 PM, Fkkize wrote:
hoy

I haven't interacted with you much on a personal level but you seem to be really intelligent philosophically speaking. You know a lot about more complicated philosophical topics that most people wouldn't know much about. I'd really like to see you debate a bit more. I know that you've started debating again and I really look forward to looking at your debates (especially your one with Kasmic on compatiblism). You're a great debater and a great addition to the philosophy forums. I also appreciate you telling me about those arguments for moral realism.
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:10:03 PM

Doge or Cate?

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:11:27 PM
At 3/13/2016 10:10:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Doge or Cate?

Cate - obviously.
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:12:17 PM
At 3/13/2016 10:11:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Doge or Cate?

Cate - obviously.

What is your favorite gemstone species? http://www.debate.org...

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:57:16 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:55:45 PM, famousdebater wrote:

HOY

We've only began interacting quite recently though I'm sure as time goes by you'll come when of my better friends on the site. You're a genuinely kind and friendly guy who is really easy to get along with. You're a great contributor to the forums, as well as providing good conversation and less serious topics to the forums you also provide very intellectual and clever insights. Finding both people that are friendly and great with conversation as well as being very intelligent is hard to find and that's a great attribute that you have. I hope to continue to interact with you as I think I will be spending an increasing amount of my time in the forums as oppose to debating.

<3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 11:05:36 PM
At 3/13/2016 10:12:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 3/13/2016 10:11:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Doge or Cate?

Cate - obviously.

What is your favorite gemstone species? http://www.debate.org...

Spinel.
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 11:02:31 AM
At 3/13/2016 8:55:45 PM, famousdebater wrote:

HOY

Just saying, you and Budda are the only two to really write something more in-depth than "you seem like a positive guy, which is good!" (not that that's bad, it's still nice to see that I'm thought of that way :3). So thanks famous :D

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 6:10:57 PM
At 3/14/2016 1:18:38 AM, Torton wrote:
Honest opinion.

You seem like a really good user that would be great if they stayed on the site as a long term thing. Your contributions to the forums are great and are very intelligent as well as the debates of yours that I've read. You're mafia skills need work (though I'd probably say the same applies for me too). I haven't really had that many personal interactions with you though, I do hope that it can change and that we can have some interesting discussions.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 6:13:09 PM
Just saying, you and Budda are the only two to really write something more in-depth than "you seem like a positive guy, which is good!" (not that that's bad, it's still nice to see that I'm thought of that way :3). So thanks famous :D

Thanks! :)
John Galsworthy
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 6:21:32 PM
At 3/14/2016 6:10:57 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Honest opinion.
You're mafia skills need work (though I'd probably say the same applies for me too).
Eh, it's not for me. Only reason I haven't abandoned it completely is out of a sense of obligation.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 6:35:57 PM
At 3/14/2016 6:21:32 PM, Torton wrote:
At 3/14/2016 6:10:57 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Honest opinion.
You're mafia skills need work (though I'd probably say the same applies for me too).
Eh, it's not for me. Only reason I haven't abandoned it completely is out of a sense of obligation.

Yeah, I don't know if it's for me either though I'm gonna play a few more games before conclusively making a decision though.
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 7:07:15 PM

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 8:01:27 PM
At 3/14/2016 7:07:15 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it?

Maybe.
John Galsworthy
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 8:16:21 PM

Here are some questions to take a stab at!

First name:

Surname:

Sex:

Relationship status:

Sexual orientation:

Ethnicity:

Religion:

Conception of god:

What theory on the origin of life on earth do you think is most true:

Position on the creationism-evolution controversy:

What do you think happens when you die:

Most hated religion:

Opinion on human nature:

Political ideology:

Presidential candidate:

Most hated political ideology:

Opinion on feminism:

Preferred form of government:

Preferred economic system:

City:

Mother's maiden name:

Birthday:

Zodiac sign:

Browser user agent:

Current education level:

Assessment of academic performance:

Do you think you are intelligent:

Assessment of quality of life:

Assessment of level of happiness:

Attempted suicide:

Lost the will to live:

Number of "good friends":

Clique in School:

Historical person you most admire (could be current):

Employment Company:

Height:

Weight:

Blood type:

Favorite color:

Favorite song:

Favorite TV show:

Favorite video game:

Favorite mythological creature:

Favorite movie:

Favorite quote:

Favorite art form:

Worst enemy on this site:

Best friend on this site:

Desired number of children (if any):

Vehicle (if any):

Your version of a "perfect society":
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 8:39:24 PM
At 3/14/2016 8:16:21 PM, SamStevens wrote:

First name:

Famous

Surname:

Debater

Sex:

Male

Relationship status:

Single

Sexual orientation:

Straight.

Ethnicity:

White British.

Religion:

Agnostic.

Conception of god:

Most likely doesn't exist.

The Big Bang theory and Evolution.

Evolution.

I'm unsure but most likely we just die and that's it.

Most hated religion:

Islam.

Opinion on human nature:

Imperfect.

Political ideology:

Left Libertarianism.

Presidential candidate:

Hilary Clinton.

Fascism.

Opinion on feminism:

Not necessary in the Western World.

Democracy

Laissez - faire capitalism.

City:

Harrow, London.

England.

Mother's maiden name:

Dunno.

Birthday:

7th July.

Zodiac sign:

Don't know, don't care.

Browser user agent:

Chrome.

Current education level:

High School.

Above average.

Intelligent but not massively intelligent.

Alright, I guess.

Decent.

Attempted suicide:

No.

Lost the will to live:

Yes.

Clique in School:

Nerds.

Lenin, for attempting the impossible (creating a communist society).

Employment Company:

None, I'm a student.

Student.

Height:

5 ft 7.

Weight:

45kg (roughly).

Blood type:

O - positive.

Favorite color:

Blue.

Favorite song:

No favorite song. It changes every couple of days.

Favorite TV show:

The Big Bang Theory.

Favorite video game:

Far Cry 4 (don't like Primal).

idk

Favorite movie:

The Ring.

Favorite quote:

Age is something that doesn't matter unless you're cheese.

Favorite art form:

idk

Don't have one.

I don't have one. I have quite a few, Taj, FortisAnimi, Coletrain, Hayd, VOT, Vaarka, etc.

I haven't given it any thought.

Vehicle (if any):

Desired vehicle or current vehicle? I don't have a current vehicle because I'm only 13.

A society where I am the dictator and I have infinite money and power.
John Galsworthy
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 8:45:50 PM
At 3/14/2016 8:39:24 PM, famousdebater wrote:

First name:

Famous

Surname:

Debater

Sex:

Male

Relationship status:

Single

Sexual orientation:

Straight.

Ethnicity:

White British.

Religion:

Agnostic.

Conception of god:

Most likely doesn't exist.

The Big Bang theory and Evolution.

Evolution.

Is the possibility of returning to the nothingness that was before birth plausible?

Most hated religion:

Islam.

How come?

Opinion on human nature:

Imperfect.

Political ideology:

Left Libertarianism.

Presidential candidate:

Hilary Clinton.

Fascism.

Opinion on feminism:

Not necessary in the Western World.

Democracy

Laissez - faire capitalism.

City:

Harrow, London.

England.

Mother's maiden name:

Dunno.

Birthday:

7th July.

Zodiac sign:

Don't know, don't care.

Browser user agent:

Chrome.

Current education level:

High School.

Above average.

Intelligent but not massively intelligent.

Alright, I guess.

Decent.

Attempted suicide:

No.

Lost the will to live:

Yes.

Clique in School:

Nerds.

Lenin, for attempting the impossible (creating a communist society).

Employment Company:

None, I'm a student.

Student.

Height:

5 ft 7.

Weight:

45kg (roughly).

Blood type:

O - positive.

Favorite color:

Blue.

Favorite song:

No favorite song. It changes every couple of days.

Favorite TV show:

The Big Bang Theory.

Favorite video game:

Far Cry 4 (don't like Primal).

idk

Favorite movie:

The Ring.

Favorite quote:

Age is something that doesn't matter unless you're cheese.

Favorite art form:

idk

Don't have one.

I don't have one. I have quite a few, Taj, FortisAnimi, Coletrain, Hayd, VOT, Vaarka, etc.

I haven't given it any thought.

Vehicle (if any):

Desired vehicle or current vehicle? I don't have a current vehicle because I'm only 13.

A society where I am the dictator and I have infinite money and power.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 8:54:07 PM
At 3/14/2016 8:45:50 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 3/14/2016 8:39:24 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Is the possibility of returning to the nothingness that was before birth plausible?

Yes. That is what I mean. Nothingness is nothingness.

Most hated religion:

Islam.

How come?

I don't like some of the content in the Qu'ran. There's a lot of sexism and bad policies that I don't find to be particularly good.
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 11:23:06 PM

Your honest opinion of me and, also in your opinion, does the word "unlockable" mean "able to be unlocked" or "unable to be locked?"
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 3:45:17 PM
At 3/14/2016 11:23:06 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:

Your honest opinion of me and, also in your opinion, does the word "unlockable" mean "able to be unlocked" or "unable to be locked?"

I believe that the word unlockable means "unable to be locked". This is because the word lockable means able to be locked and every adjective must have an opposite. Therefore, I believe that unlockable references to something that is unable to be locked.

Now onto the HOY. I think you're a great debater and you're very knowledgeable on topic that regard science or God's existence. You've definitely taught me a thing or two with your debates and I think that I've mentioned this in a couple of my RFDs. I do think that you should debate a larger variety of topics because this definitely helps to improve debating ability and skill. I don't know why you think I'm older than 13 though, there are plenty of people that are significantly smarter than I am that are only slightly older than me on the site. I'd like to see some more forum activity too. I can tell from your debates and some of the conversations that I've had with you that you'd be a great addition to the forums if you posted there a bit more. Overall, you're a great debater and a great addition to the site and I'm sure that you'll continue debating and teaching me and others about God, atheism and science.
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 4:17:38 PM
I believe that the word unlockable means "unable to be locked". This is because the word lockable means able to be locked and every adjective must have an opposite. Therefore, I believe that unlockable references to something that is unable to be locked.

What would you call something that is able to be unlocked?

Now onto the HOY. I think you're a great debater and you're very knowledgeable on topic that regard science or God's existence. You've definitely taught me a thing or two with your debates and I think that I've mentioned this in a couple of my RFDs.

What you just said there is the reason I got into DDO, so thanks for that.

I do think that you should debate a larger variety of topics because this definitely helps to improve debating ability and skill.

Valid point. The problem is that on issues like abortion, death penalty, assisted suicide, affirmative action, etc., I could really give a crap...not that these topics don't matter!
It's just I don't feel as great a passion for things unrelated to science/pseudoscience, so if I were to debate things like that, I wouldn't be debating at 100%, and that's not an activity that I endorse.

I don't know why you think I'm older than 13 though, there are plenty of people that are significantly smarter than I am that are only slightly older than me on the site.

There are plenty of people who list in their profile that they are only slightly older than you...it could be that they are not being completely honest...

I'd like to see some more forum activity too.

You and me both man. I've got two kids under the age of 4, I'm a full time teacher, wrestling coach, and part-time curriculum writer. This basically limits me to "post when/where it matters" and to me those are the debates of challengers who may not understand some things. Forums are cool though.

I can tell from your debates and some of the conversations that I've had with you that you'd be a great addition to the forums if you posted there a bit more.

Thanks man.

Overall, you're a great debater and a great addition to the site and I'm sure that you'll continue debating and teaching me and others about God, atheism and science.

I love debating and teaching, so this prediction is likely accurate.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 4:39:35 PM
At 3/15/2016 4:17:38 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:

What would you call something that is able to be unlocked?

Hmmm... I don't know but a similar question could be asked regardless of my answer to that question.

Now onto the HOY. I think you're a great debater and you're very knowledgeable on topic that regard science or God's existence. You've definitely taught me a thing or two with your debates and I think that I've mentioned this in a couple of my RFDs.

What you just said there is the reason I got into DDO, so thanks for that.

You're welcome, and yeah it's definitely the topic that you can debate the best at.

I do think that you should debate a larger variety of topics because this definitely helps to improve debating ability and skill.

Valid point. The problem is that on issues like abortion, death penalty, assisted suicide, affirmative action, etc., I could really give a crap...not that these topics don't matter!

I understand that but I think that's more about improving debating ability as oppose to debating topics you're interested in.

It's just I don't feel as great a passion for things unrelated to science/pseudoscience, so if I were to debate things like that, I wouldn't be debating at 100%, and that's not an activity that I endorse.

I can understand that, though if you get used to debating topics that you aren't as good at debating then it can be beneficial to your debating ability and it also gives you a larger variety of topics that you are able to debate confidently which is useful as a life skill.

I don't know why you think I'm older than 13 though, there are plenty of people that are significantly smarter than I am that are only slightly older than me on the site.

There are plenty of people who list in their profile that they are only slightly older than you...it could be that they are not being completely honest...

I know that some people are around my age because I've spoken to them in person in the google hangouts. Hayd and FortisAnimi are definitely their age (14) and they're both significantly smarter than me. I'm almost certain that Tejretics, Taj and Coletrain are also their age and they're also all smarter than me in my opinion.

I'd like to see some more forum activity too.

You and me both man. I've got two kids under the age of 4, I'm a full time teacher, wrestling coach, and part-time curriculum writer. This basically limits me to "post when/where it matters" and to me those are the debates of challengers who may not understand some things. Forums are cool though.

I guess that's understandable. What school subject(s) do you teach?

I can tell from your debates and some of the conversations that I've had with you that you'd be a great addition to the forums if you posted there a bit more.

Thanks man.

You're welcome.

Overall, you're a great debater and a great addition to the site and I'm sure that you'll continue debating and teaching me and others about God, atheism and science.

I love debating and teaching, so this prediction is likely accurate.

It is.
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 4:48:06 PM
I understand that but I think that's more about improving debating ability as oppose to debating topics you're interested in.

True...there are a few debates I've done outside of my wheelhouse...who knows, if the right challenger comes along, I might debate something less-desirable.

What school subject(s) do you teach?

I'm certified in biology, physics, and chemistry, but over the years, the school's needs fluctuate, so I may teach any of those at one time.

I also maintain that if you are the age you say you are, you are the smartest 13 year old I have ever come in contact with and I've been teaching high school for over 8 years.