Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Should I put height inserts in my shoes?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:39:14 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I'm approximately 5'7' - 5'8' which slightly shorter than average but isn't terribly outside of the normal range. Yet, I've seen studies showing that taller men are more successful. Many studies corroborate this so there's no doubt about it. However, most people they conduct their studies on are unequivocally tall or short.

Even if I'm looking products for shoes that increase your height, the testimonials are mostly from men 5'5' or 5'4' who find it impossible to find a date and say it's harder for them to do that.

I don't want to put inserts to get better dates but I am considering using them in formal shoes before walking into interviews for instance - and then subsequently using them throughout the workday. If the studies are true, I should be making an extra $800 a year per inch. So, assuming I'm using around 2.5 inch inserts, then I should be making about $2000 more a year which seems pretty good.

I've seen articles suggest things like "embrace your height" or "don't be insecure about your height" but I don't see what the problem is or why I should give up an extra couple of thousand a year.

Thoughts? Also, curious if anyone wants to share how tall they are.

If you don't know what height inserts are, they are basically inserts that you put inside your shoes: https://www.google.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 9:38:26 PM
At 3/16/2016 8:39:14 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I'm approximately 5'7' - 5'8' which slightly shorter than average but isn't terribly outside of the normal range. Yet, I've seen studies showing that taller men are more successful. Many studies corroborate this so there's no doubt about it. However, most people they conduct their studies on are unequivocally tall or short.

Even if I'm looking products for shoes that increase your height, the testimonials are mostly from men 5'5' or 5'4' who find it impossible to find a date and say it's harder for them to do that.

I don't want to put inserts to get better dates but I am considering using them in formal shoes before walking into interviews for instance - and then subsequently using them throughout the workday. If the studies are true, I should be making an extra $800 a year per inch. So, assuming I'm using around 2.5 inch inserts, then I should be making about $2000 more a year which seems pretty good.

I've seen articles suggest things like "embrace your height" or "don't be insecure about your height" but I don't see what the problem is or why I should give up an extra couple of thousand a year.

If you don't know what height inserts are, they are basically inserts that you put inside your shoes: https://www.google.com...

No, that's just stupid. You're supposed to be yourself. If someone figures out you're wearing inserts their opinion of you would largely drop. Height isn't something you naturally have control over. You do well at what you do then you'll get paid just the same and perhaps surpass others. Your personality can go a long way and matters much more than height. For example, Vladimir Putin is 5'7", Medvedev 5'4", James Madison 5'4", Stalin 5'5", Hollande 5'7", Robert Reich 4'5", MLK 5'7", Genghis Khan 5'1" (yeah, this one shocked me too), Napoleon 5'6", Mussolini 5'7", Churchill 5'6", Grant 5'8", and many others below average.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 9:44:26 PM
At 3/16/2016 9:38:26 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

No, that's just stupid. You're supposed to be yourself. If someone figures out you're wearing inserts their opinion of you would largely drop.

this.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 9:51:12 PM

No, that's just stupid. You're supposed to be yourself. If someone figures out you're wearing inserts their opinion of you would largely drop. Height isn't something you naturally have control over. You do well at what you do then you'll get paid just the same and perhaps surpass others. Your personality can go a long way and matters much more than height. For example, Vladimir Putin is 5'7", Medvedev 5'4", James Madison 5'4", Stalin 5'5", Hollande 5'7", Robert Reich 4'5", MLK 5'7", Genghis Khan 5'1" (yeah, this one shocked me too), Napoleon 5'6", Mussolini 5'7", Churchill 5'6", Grant 5'8", and many others below average.

If presenting yourself in the best possible light is stupid, why do men wear suits and ties and women wear make-up or heels?

What do you mean, "being myself?" I normally wear t-shirts and jeans so if I wear a suit and tie before going for an interview, that's not "being myself?" Why does it only apply to height?

I do intend to do well but all other things being equal, numerous studies confirm that taller people are paid more (https://www.google.com...). Obviously, I want the base salary to be higher and then be good at the job to make even more money.

I wouldn't remove my shoes in the workplace. I can't see a scenario where I'd go barefooted to work so there's no chance of anyone finding out. Regardless, it's like saying someone's opinion of you will drop if they find out that you were wearing a flattering dress and once you take it off, your figure isn't so flattering.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:44:32 PM

I would pay attention to the measures involved in determining those income figures. As you mentioned, much of this interest is centered around extreme examples of the very tall and the very short. The differences in income may exist for those groups, and the increments for those falling in between may not actually exist but rather have just been extrapolated using the other data. In other words, you may experience no income increase for adding an inch if you are already near the norm for your group, but you would experience a significant income increase if you were not.

That said, if you want to wear inserts, wear inserts. It's nice to say to be yourself, but individuals are implicitly and explicitly judged by their appearance. That's just real life.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 1:42:38 AM

It's unlikely the studies would make causal claims like that (i.e., if you add one inch to your height, you will make x amount of dollars per year).

But I understand your general sentiment of wanting to be more successful career-wise and using height to do so.

Thoughts?

I'm not a fan of the whole "be yourself" rhetoric. I'm a big believer in being the best you can be, and always seeking self-improvement. I wrote an opinion about it a while back: http://www.debate.org...

That being said, I don't see a problem in wearing inserts. As I always say, live your best life! What I'd caution against, though, is expecting some sort of pay increase as a function of your height, especially if it's just a couple of inches and you're still hovering around average height.

Also, curious if anyone wants to share how tall they are.

I'm 5"5 but I wish I was taller.

I want to look down imperiously at people: http://usvsth3m.com...

Luckily, as a woman, society allows me to wear heels when I feel like being tall. It's tough being a man sometimes.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 3:53:17 AM

My dad is 5'6', but is married to a 5'9' woman and has had an incredibly successful career. I'm not talking about the middle-class definition of successful career either, I'm talking multiple properties in several states, horse-breeding stables, etc.. He doesn't wear height inserts in his shoes. What he does do is run 5 miles every morning, box on the weekends, and go on weekend dates with his wife and their friends. It comes down to self-confidence and assurance in yourself as a man. How you carry yourself, present yourself, your work ethic and energy. At the end of the day - the woman you marry won't care about height, or success, she'll love you for you - and your boss won't care about height, he'll care about your effort and ability to perform the job properly.

I also have a cousin who is only about 5'5', but is married to a gorgeous 5'8' Italian girl. He's also done very well career-wise and also doesn't wear height inserts. He is confident, funny, and has a great personality. He serves as another real-life example that spits in the face of those studies. It always comes down to the person and how they carry themselves.

Obviously this is all anecdotal, but I know for a fact that those studies are BS based on my own family members who've all basically had the opposite results in life. I firmly believe it's all about the person. The men in my family are all Type-A's, Alpha Males.

So, perhaps it'd be true for beta males or those with type B personalities. The ones who need that extra inch to make up for the lack of personality or self-confidence. Height inserts might actually provide a boost of confidence too, like putting new rims or a bigger engine in your car.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:01:36 AM
At 3/16/2016 9:51:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

If presenting yourself in the best possible light is stupid, why do men wear suits and ties and women wear make-up or heels?

What do you mean, "being myself?" I normally wear t-shirts and jeans so if I wear a suit and tie before going for an interview, that's not "being myself?" Why does it only apply to height?

I do intend to do well but all other things being equal, numerous studies confirm that taller people are paid more (https://www.google.com...). Obviously, I want the base salary to be higher and then be good at the job to make even more money.

I wouldn't remove my shoes in the workplace. I can't see a scenario where I'd go barefooted to work so there's no chance of anyone finding out. Regardless, it's like saying someone's opinion of you will drop if they find out that you were wearing a flattering dress and once you take it off, your figure isn't so flattering.

I think that wearing height inserts is more along the lines of wearing a toupee. If no one finds out, you look a tiny bit better on a superficial level. If people do find out, it creates the appearance of insecurity and weakness, and generally leads to widespread mockery, defeating the original purpose. In my opinion, the risk isn't worth the reward.

I'm five ten, but had I not had HGH injections throughout my teenage years I would be less than five feet tall. I've spent more than half my life substantially smaller than everyone around me, so I do know how that feels. I managed to turn it to my advantage; sometimes being the smallest person in the room gives you a tactical edge.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 4:04:33 AM
As distinct an advantage that being tall gives a person, being confident with yourself gives an exponentially greater advantage. Don't wear them, own that height, and be the badass you are, you beautiful man you
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion