Jump to topic:

Favorite Travel Destination

vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:27:33 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I enjoy traveling and appreciating different cultures and opinions. Gives you perspective and insight about your own life as well as enriches your understanding. So, I'm curious where is your favorite place(s) you've been? Could you highlight things you especially enjoyed or experiences you've had?

I'd say Culture shock is a good thing. When I arrived in Holland specifically Amsterdam it was an entirely different experience from anything I've encountered before from the smells down to the penis fountain. While the area I visited was extremely dirty, and stumbling into what I thought was a "caf"" in my sense of the word was a shocking experience, the architecture was beautiful. I will also to this day associate the distinct dinging noise to a fast going passerby on bicycle as they were rampant all over this different city.

Costa Rica would also be one of my most memorable destinations as it was the most active vacation I've ever had (5 miles+ a day easily of walking), yet knee of the most relaxing. Zip lining, whitewater rafting, refreshing culture with great food, lots of unique experiences finding little holes in the wall, and deciding if the local rope swing was worth the risks associated with it per the warnings of many (El salto). Trying to maximize every day and enjoy as much of the country as possible in my short time there. Creating my own experiences and attempting to travel the roads a little less traveled to find great discoveries (granted in heavily touristed areas). The gorgeous waters of the Rio Celeste(worth the time to get there) and the many breathtaking waterfalls. I'd recommend this to everyone and the locals are amazing.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:16:03 PM
At 3/17/2016 10:27:33 AM, vortex86 wrote:
I enjoy traveling and appreciating different cultures and opinions. Gives you perspective and insight about your own life as well as enriches your understanding. So, I'm curious where is your favorite place(s) you've been? Could you highlight things you especially enjoyed or experiences you've had?

I'd say Culture shock is a good thing. When I arrived in Holland specifically Amsterdam it was an entirely different experience from anything I've encountered before from the smells down to the penis fountain. While the area I visited was extremely dirty, and stumbling into what I thought was a "caf"" in my sense of the word was a shocking experience, the architecture was beautiful. I will also to this day associate the distinct dinging noise to a fast going passerby on bicycle as they were rampant all over this different city.

Costa Rica would also be one of my most memorable destinations as it was the most active vacation I've ever had (5 miles+ a day easily of walking), yet knee of the most relaxing. Zip lining, whitewater rafting, refreshing culture with great food, lots of unique experiences finding little holes in the wall, and deciding if the local rope swing was worth the risks associated with it per the warnings of many (El salto). Trying to maximize every day and enjoy as much of the country as possible in my short time there. Creating my own experiences and attempting to travel the roads a little less traveled to find great discoveries (granted in heavily touristed areas). The gorgeous waters of the Rio Celeste(worth the time to get there) and the many breathtaking waterfalls. I'd recommend this to everyone and the locals are amazing.

The only place that's exactly very different that I've traveled was either NYC, or the Caribbean.

NYC was just different from NC due to how big it was. All the buildings, people, and random things that I saw. Everything was so big, so loud, and so expensive. The little town I'm used to has a couple schools, restaurants, churches, and neighborhoods, along with shopping places. NYC, on the other hand, buildings everywhere, cars everywhere, noise everywhere. Manhattan was a cool place though, and I did enjoy my trip. Probably the biggest thing I noticed was it was a lot more polluted than Holly Springs...

The Caribbean was a place I went during a cruise. It was nice, though a lot more rural. I enjoyed sightseeing, going around trails, and got to snorkel. It was all fun :3 I enjoyed my few days there.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 2:49:52 PM

Penis fountain?
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 2:52:39 PM
At 3/17/2016 2:49:52 PM, Hayd wrote:

Penis fountain?

Unfortunately as I'm at work, I can't google it to link an image. But it is as it sounds. A fountain in the shape of a phallus. It was near Cannabis College
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 3:04:08 PM
At 3/17/2016 2:52:39 PM, vortex86 wrote:

Penis fountain?

Unfortunately as I'm at work, I can't google it to link an image. But it is as it sounds. A fountain in the shape of a phallus. It was near Cannabis College

Interesting...
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 3:11:53 PM
At 3/17/2016 3:04:08 PM, Hayd wrote:

Penis fountain?

Interesting...

Yeah, not something you see everyday... to say the least. This is a good example of why it was culture shock for me.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 3:12:29 PM
At 3/17/2016 3:11:53 PM, vortex86 wrote:
At 3/17/2016 3:04:08 PM, Hayd wrote:

Penis fountain?

Interesting...

Yeah, not something you see everyday... to say the least. This is a good example of why it was culture shock for me.

Lol
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:05:39 PM
Ireland for its beauty, especially during early morning and dusk. The colors of the landscape are stunning. People there are friendly. When I went 20 years ago the food had a lot to be desired. From what I hear that has changed a bit. The thing that struck me the most was, when seeking out traditional Irish music, you have to go to the tourist traps to hear it. Most local pubs played country western music.

Egypt was also amazing, not for just the pyramids but, the culture as a whole. I saw a mile square mud brick town that was in existence for funerary purposes; small homes to stay in while visiting the dead. Their sense of middle class is very different than what it is in the west and Europe. Traffic in Cairo is absolutely insane, no rules, demolition derby type driving, all the cars are banged up. Many would be considered un-road worthy in most modern cities. There was also a lot of sadness. I saw many women with small children homeless, begging on the street. I was told if a dead husband's family does not take in his family upon death, they end up homeless; welfare style safety nets aren't available. I wouldn't advise any western woman to take a walk alone, they'll end up with a posy of men approaching her to sell something or asked for a date; the men can be quite aggressive.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:01:02 AM
I think Israel is my favourite, but I also like Greece as it's an extraordinarily beautiful and historic place to visit--with very vibrant and friendly people.

This summer I actually want to finally get the chance to visit Russia, as I have some friends there.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:24:51 PM
At 3/18/2016 1:01:02 AM, Emilrose wrote:
I think Israel is my favourite, but I also like Greece as it's an extraordinarily beautiful and historic place to visit--with very vibrant and friendly people.

This summer I actually want to finally get the chance to visit Russia, as I have some friends there.

Greece was the next one that I had planned on visiting. For the food and historical places, I've also heard of some incredible views. Russia would be interesting, I've considered a Bosnian trip as well.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:00:37 PM
Germany, hands down.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:23:27 PM
At 3/18/2016 5:24:51 PM, vortex86 wrote:
At 3/18/2016 1:01:02 AM, Emilrose wrote:

Greece was the next one that I had planned on visiting. For the food and historical places, I've also heard of some incredible views. Russia would be interesting, I've considered a Bosnian trip as well.

Yes, Greece is just fascinating--the food is wonderful. Athens is obviously a great city but I'd highly recommend the islands...my favourite is Zante.

As for Bosnia, that's not overly far from Greece (probably just over and hour/30 mins), so you could visit there while seeing Greece. Hungary and other surrounding countries would also be interesting.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:25:48 PM
At 3/18/2016 6:00:37 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Germany, hands down.

Why? What places did you find the most memorable or would recommend to visit?
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:27:42 PM
At 3/17/2016 5:05:39 PM, Peepette wrote:
Ireland for its beauty, especially during early morning and dusk. The colors of the landscape are stunning. People there are friendly. When I went 20 years ago the food had a lot to be desired. From what I hear that has changed a bit. The thing that struck me the most was, when seeking out traditional Irish music, you have to go to the tourist traps to hear it. Most local pubs played country western music.

Egypt was also amazing, not for just the pyramids but, the culture as a whole. I saw a mile square mud brick town that was in existence for funerary purposes; small homes to stay in while visiting the dead. Their sense of middle class is very different than what it is in the west and Europe. Traffic in Cairo is absolutely insane, no rules, demolition derby type driving, all the cars are banged up. Many would be considered un-road worthy in most modern cities. There was also a lot of sadness. I saw many women with small children homeless, begging on the street. I was told if a dead husband's family does not take in his family upon death, they end up homeless; welfare style safety nets aren't available. I wouldn't advise any western woman to take a walk alone, they'll end up with a posy of men approaching her to sell something or asked for a date; the men can be quite aggressive.

Ireland does look like a great place to visit (from what I've seen in movies). Egypt I'd love to travel to strictly because of one of the 7 wonders of the world residing there. I would also be interested in observing the culture as you described (once again gain an appreciation of my own)
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:44:30 PM
At 3/18/2016 6:25:48 PM, vortex86 wrote:
Germany, hands down.

It's one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. I spent the summer there when I was 16 and traveled across the entire country. There really isn't just one place though that stands above the rest - the entire country is magnificent. One of my favorite stops though was Neuschwanstein Castle.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 2:10:20 AM
At 3/18/2016 7:44:30 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 3/18/2016 6:25:48 PM, vortex86 wrote:
Germany, hands down.

It's one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. I spent the summer there when I was 16 and traveled across the entire country. There really isn't just one place though that stands above the rest - the entire country is magnificent. One of my favorite stops though was Neuschwanstein Castle.

All of my buddies that were stationed in Germany talked about visiting the castles. That one looks pretty grandiose from the pictures. It looks more modern than I would probably want to visit though if I were to do 1 visit there.