Jump to topic:

Why do DDOers assume I'm American?

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 11:46:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Being from Netherlands, and not having even been in any of the Americas, I have several times here at DDO seen others assume that I'm American. A very flattering assumption though, given it's a sign of my English being on a native level. However, why do people select specifically that country for the assumption? Why not another country with English as first language? Like UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc etc? Is it because a majority here are Americans?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:48:26 AM
At 3/19/2016 11:46:11 PM, Jovian wrote:
Being from Netherlands, and not having even been in any of the Americas, I have several times here at DDO seen others assume that I'm American. A very flattering assumption though, given it's a sign of my English being on a native level. However, why do people select specifically that country for the assumption? Why not another country with English as first language? Like UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc etc? Is it because a majority here are Americans?

Yeah, like 60% is last time I checked
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:52:13 AM

It's an American site.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:02:05 AM
according to this link, the majority are who knows?
http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:42:43 AM

I think DDOers just assume everyone is American until told otherwise.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:25:43 PM
At 3/20/2016 2:02:05 AM, Emmarie wrote:

That hasn't been updated in forever.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 4:00:06 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:52:13 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

It's an American site.

On the front page it says:
"Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls."

Demographics also show that only 8% of total users are actually American: http://www.debate.org...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 4:24:12 PM
At 3/20/2016 4:00:06 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 3/20/2016 1:52:13 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

It's an American site.

On the front page it says:
"Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others. Research today"s most controversial debate topics and cast your vote on our opinion polls."

Demographics also show that only 8% of total users are actually American: http://www.debate.org...

1: The creator, Phil is American. Therefore it's an American site.
2: It says that because not everybody goes on their profile and says which country they are from. They just leave it blank. That's why it says other.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:21:07 PM
At 3/20/2016 2:25:43 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/20/2016 2:02:05 AM, Emmarie wrote:

That hasn't been updated in forever.
I think the "other"on the pie chart is just the statistic of users who don't put a location.
I found the pie chart funny because most users do seem to be american.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 7:32:20 AM

As a fellow American, I can relate to your experience. We often have to deal with incorrect assumptions. But we Americans must stick together. I suggest doing what I do when someone assumes you are from some place odd, like the Netherlands. Just smile and wave your American flag at them.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 8:06:49 AM

Because there are two types of countries in this world: the US of A and the soon-to-be-part-of the US of A.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 5:52:27 PM

Most active users live in the US, though a good number are Aussies or Canadians. I cannot think of a high profile Kiwi, though.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...