Jump to topic:

Tejretics - AMA

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 12:19:34 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I'm probably going to stick away from the forums for around 2 or 3 months (except the occasional post in the Science, Philosophy, and DDO forums). So before I go on the forum hiatus, I want to have an AMA, maybe make some good posts, and then embark on the forum hiatus. (I'll still debate, comment, and vote, and very occasionally post.)
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:27:18 PM
At 3/20/2016 12:19:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
I'm probably going to stick away from the forums for around 2 or 3 months (except the occasional post in the Science, Philosophy, and DDO forums). So before I go on the forum hiatus, I want to have an AMA, maybe make some good posts, and then embark on the forum hiatus. (I'll still debate, comment, and vote, and very occasionally post.)

Why are you staying away from the forums?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:30:49 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:27:18 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

They're such a time-suck. I mean, I obviously have that time, but I want to do something more productive with it. The userbase has kind of dulled when it comes to the forums, so productive conversation and debate have all been warped away. I'm taking the hiatus to test the breeze and see what else I could do with my time. I love debating and I enjoy engaging my intellect against other people. The debates give me that, and the forums gave me that once. The forums have stopped. I'll check out some new forums, start reading more, quiz more, and stuff. The debates here don't take up much of my time at all.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:34:15 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:30:49 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/20/2016 1:27:18 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

They're such a time-suck. I mean, I obviously have that time, but I want to do something more productive with it. The userbase has kind of dulled when it comes to the forums, so productive conversation and debate have all been warped away. I'm taking the hiatus to test the breeze and see what else I could do with my time. I love debating and I enjoy engaging my intellect against other people. The debates give me that, and the forums gave me that once. The forums have stopped. I'll check out some new forums, start reading more, quiz more, and stuff. The debates here don't take up much of my time at all.

I see, good luck with whatever you hope to do then. I wish I had more time for formal debate myself, but I don't, so I have to be satisfied with the forums most of the time. I would hate to forfeit debates, even though I've never done that before, and I certainly have no intention to take that risk.

Incidentally, let's see if my post count can surpass you again while you're away :P The days when I had more posts than you feel like so long ago now...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:32:26 PM

What is the best metaethics and why is it moral realism?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:34:23 PM
At 3/20/2016 2:32:26 PM, Fkkize wrote:

What is the best metaethics and why is it moral realism?

because truth is better than falsehood
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 5:10:49 PM

What are your political views?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 5:51:15 PM

First name:

Surname:

Sex:

Relationship status:

Sexual orientation:

Ethnicity:

Religion:

Conception of god:

What theory on the origin of life on earth do you think is most true:

Position on the creationism-evolution controversy:

What do you think happens when you die:

Most hated religion:

Opinion on human nature:

Political ideology:

Presidential candidate:

Most hated political ideology:

Opinion on feminism:

Preferred form of government:

Preferred economic system:

City:

Mother's maiden name:

Birthday:

Zodiac sign:

Browser user agent:

Current education level:

Assessment of academic performance:

Do you think you are intelligent:

Assessment of quality of life:

Assessment of level of happiness:

Attempted suicide:

Lost the will to live:

Number of "good friends":

Clique in School:

Historical person you most admire (could be current):

Employment Company:

Height:

Weight:

Blood type:

Favorite color:

Favorite song:

Favorite TV show:

Favorite video game:

Favorite mythological creature:

Favorite movie:

Favorite quote:

Favorite art form:

Worst enemy on this site:

Best friend on this site:

Desired number of children (if any):

Vehicle (if any):

Your version of a "perfect society":
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 2:49:51 AM
At 3/20/2016 5:51:15 PM, SamStevens wrote:

First name:

I'd prefer to keep it private though most people know it.

Surname:

[Private]

Sex:

Male

Relationship status:

Single

Sexual orientation:

I don't know

Ethnicity:

East Indian

Religion:

None

Conception of god:

Atheism

What theory on the origin of life on earth do you think is most true:

Abiogenesis via thermodynamic dissipation

Position on the creationism-evolution controversy:

There is no "controversy." Evolution is a fact.

What do you think happens when you die:

I don't know

Most hated religion:

None

Opinion on human nature:

None

Political ideology:

I don't identify into any label, but I'm left-wing.

Presidential candidate:

Bernie Sanders

Most hated political ideology:

Fascism

Opinion on feminism:

Women and men are the same, and there are no distinctions between them sufficient to allow social disparity. I think that's the view most feminists hold, and I agree with that. I disagree with the methods used to achieve that by many, such as radical feminists. I also disagree with the misandrist feminist minority.

Preferred form of government:

Some elected form of government. I'm fine with a parliamentary or presidential republic, or the more direct Swiss form of governance.

Preferred economic system:

Mixed economy

City:

Chennai

India

Mother's maiden name:

[Private]

Birthday:

[Private]

Zodiac sign:

[Private]

Browser user agent:

Chrome

Current education level:

Eighth grade (middle school)

Assessment of academic performance:

Excellent

Do you think you are intelligent:

Yes.

Assessment of quality of life:

Excellent

Assessment of level of happiness:

High

Attempted suicide:

No

Lost the will to live:

No

Number of "good friends":

Three in real life. But many other friends as well.

Clique in School:

I don't know. I'm close friends with three people; all of us are "nerds," so we could fit that definition to some extent. We're also excellent academically, and, to some extent, "popular." (Though I stay away from that to whatever extent is possible.)

Historical person you most admire (could be current):

Many people. Barack Obama, Kailash Satyarthi, and Malala Yousafzai come to mind.

Employment Company:

None

Student

Height:

[Private]

Weight:

[Private]

Blood type:

[Private]

Favorite color:

Black

Favorite song:

Yanni's "Felitsa," and the Colonial Cousins' "Krishna."

Favorite TV show:

House, M.D., and Last Week Tonight.

Favorite video game:

None

Favorite mythological creature:

None

Favorite movie:

None

Favorite quote:

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Favorite art form:

Music

Worst enemy on this site:

None

Best friend on this site:

Cermank, YYW, Voice-of-Truth, Diqiucun_Cunmin, n7, Fkkize

Desired number of children (if any):

None

Vehicle (if any):

[Private]

Your version of a "perfect society":

I don't know.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 9:39:52 PM

What political ideology do you think I am?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:38:13 PM

Do you find that you are often mistaken for tajshar2k?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 3:29:54 AM

Honest opinion of me.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:05:35 AM
At 3/22/2016 10:38:13 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Do you find that you are often mistaken for tajshar2k?

No.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:07:50 AM
At 3/20/2016 5:10:49 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

I'd prefer that you ask more specifically...I'm not going to go through all the big issues now. I'm left-wing, and very liberal on social issues. I support environmentalism over anthropocentrism, and lean towards collectivism. I want a mixed economy and often support increasing the tax rate (in some countries).
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:08:11 AM
At 3/22/2016 9:39:52 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What political ideology do you think I am?

Moderate
Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 5:34:28 AM
Why do you debate?

How do you form your views?

Would you stick to your views even if those views were wrong?
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 1:40:36 PM
At 3/23/2016 5:07:50 AM, tejretics wrote:

I'd prefer that you ask more specifically...I'm not going to go through all the big issues now. I'm left-wing, and very liberal on social issues. I support environmentalism over anthropocentrism, and lean towards collectivism. I want a mixed economy and often support increasing the tax rate (in some countries).

Alright Ill list a couple Issues, these will be American related, so try to answer from an American point of view

War in Afghanistan
School Vouchers
Free Trade
Gun Rights
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:08:33 PM
At 3/23/2016 1:40:36 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 3/23/2016 5:07:50 AM, tejretics wrote:

Alright Ill list a couple Issues, these will be American related, so try to answer from an American point of view

War in Afghanistan

Con

School Vouchers

N/O

Free Trade

Undecided

Gun Rights

I'm against gun rights as a principle, but banning guns is going to have massive consequences in the United States, e.g. riots, so I'm fine with private gun ownership as long as there are strict safety background checks.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:10:36 PM
At 3/23/2016 5:34:28 AM, Cooldudebro wrote:
Why do you debate?

I thoroughly enjoy exchanging my views with other people and subjecting my opinions to critique.

How do you form your views?

Research the pro's and con's and decide.

Would you stick to your views even if those views were wrong?

If I knew they were wrong, I wouldn't stick to them.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:12:25 PM
At 3/23/2016 3:29:54 AM, kasmic wrote:

I think you're a nice person and a decent debater. I like that you want to grow and become better, like I do, and that you're willing to debate anything with even ground for your improvement.