Jump to topic:

Existential Depression

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:24:09 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I'm pretty sure everyone has at least experienced this once in their life. I always experience the 'meaningless' type of depression.

Is there a way to avoid this kind of depression?
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:42:02 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:24:09 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm pretty sure everyone has at least experienced this once in their life. I always experience the 'meaningless' type of depression.

Don't think too much.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:59:02 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:42:02 PM, illegalcombat wrote:

Don't think too much.
Well no sh*t.

Thing is, this sometimes happens out of nowhere.
Once you're in this phase, you really can't not think about it.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:32:30 PM

Generally I can't speak for everyone or say that it's generic since it's unique for pretty much everyone. IMO, you need to surround yourself with your friends, do stuff you really enjoy, and talk to them about how you feel. Sure it might feel bad to tell them this, but getting it off your chest and stating the issue is the first step to recovery.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:34:04 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:59:02 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 3/20/2016 1:42:02 PM, illegalcombat wrote:

Don't think too much.
Well no sh*t.

Thing is, this sometimes happens out of nowhere.
Once you're in this phase, you really can't not think about it.

I know what you mean. What I believe he's trying to get at is when it's in the beginning stages. This could "nip it in the butt" kinda thing by getting your mind off of it by focusing on happier things.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:35:46 AM

I don't know if you can totally preclude it, but just staying busy and engaged helps. De Beauvoir says meaning is internally motivating and sustaining - by its nature meaning is subjective and comes from the subjective experience of life. It is a brute fact that meaning exists in the world - all sort of people will tell you about things they find meaningful. It is just a matter of whether of not you are finding yourself and your actions to elicit a sense of meaning and well being. If not, maybe try something different and see if other activities and ways of living change how you are experiencing life.

"Man exists. For him it is not a question of wondering whether his presence in the world is useful, whether life is worth the trouble of being lived. These questions make no sense. It is a matter of knowing whether he wants to live and under what conditions." D.B., Ethics of Ambiguity