Should I replace or updrade my OS?

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 1:41:00 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Long story short:
-Current OS is Windows Vista (Home Prem 2007)

-Got a crazy rootkit virus last December, I mostly removed the infection but I feel like my current security is compromised.

-Chrome has recently cut off all updates to Windows Vista and XP

-Friends keep telling me I should get a new computer, but I don't think the *whole*
computer is that bad, I just need to update the OS and replace some graphic hardware.

-Have almost 10 years worth of documents in current computer, want to back up as much stuff as possible in the case that I wipe the thing clean and get a new OS

-Way too cheap to get a new computer, but I'm definitely replacing the OS.

Any recommendations on what OS I should us? I like the format to Windows 7 but I worry thats gonna get out of date pretty soon as well. (And no way in the screaming depths of He11 am I gonna replace it with an iOS or Mac)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 1:42:43 AM
At 3/27/2016 1:41:00 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Long story short:

-Got a crazy rootkit virus last December, I mostly removed the infection but I feel like my current security is compromised.

-Friends keep telling me I should get a new computer, but I don't think the *whole*
computer is that bad, I just need to update the OS and replace some graphic hardware.

-Have almost 10 years worth of documents in current computer, want to back up as much stuff as possible in the case that I wipe the thing clean and get a new OS

Any recommendations on what OS I should us? I like the format to Windows 7 but I worry thats gonna get out of date pretty soon as well. (And no way in the screaming depths of He11 am I gonna replace it with an iOS or Mac)

I have a very high opinion of Windows 7 and I don't think it's going to go out of date that soon because 10 is still pretty "new" and some .exe programs don't even mention it being compatible with 10.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 1:45:14 AM
At 3/27/2016 1:42:43 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Long story short:

I have a very high opinion of Windows 7 and I don't think it's going to go out of date that soon because 10 is still pretty "new" and some .exe programs don't even mention it being compatible with 10.

Windows 7 isn't much older than Vista so that was my worry, I really like the format to Windows Vista/7, not so much a fan of the interface in Windows 8 and past.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 2:48:04 AM
At 3/27/2016 1:45:22 AM, Torton wrote:
Whatever you do, don't get Windows 10. It's a security mess.

My computer is already a security mess.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 4:23:38 AM
Long story short:

Chrome OS
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 4:38:44 AM
Long story short:

It depends on what you use your computer for. If you are a little bit tech savvy I recommend a linux OS. There are a ton of free ones out there and even if you aren't tech savvy there are probably some simpler Oses (OSs? OS's?) out there. If you play games or need some windows-centric programs then you probably should go for Win 7. Otherwise you might be frustrated with compatibility issues.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.