Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Opinion Of Me As A Debater

famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I'm gonna copy Tej and do one of these, because I'd like to know the communities opinion of me as a debater and on how I can improve.

I'd like to know the site's general opinion of my debating skill.

What do you think of my debating skill level?

What are my strengths?

What are my weaknesses?

How can I improve?

Disclaimer: I'm not going to get "hurt" if someone harshly criticizes me; all I want is for you to be honest.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 7:29:08 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
What are my strengths?

Putting forward ordinary arguments and finding sources to back them up -- your constructive cases aren't bad.

What are my weaknesses?

I've only read two of your debates (one with DK, and one with me). Of those, I think you need to read and comprehend the debaters' arguments better, when it comes to rebuttal-framing and crystallizing. Rebutting arguments is a similar skill to judging, which requires excellent comprehension of the debate and how to respond to those arguments.

How can I improve?

Read some debates of people like bluesteel, Raisor and Danielle. Look at how they formulate rebuttals to the arguments. You should be able to formulate rebuttals and express excellent comprehension of the debate. Also read bluesteel's and thett3's votes, and see what comprehension is depicted by them.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 7:31:23 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
What do you think of my debating skill level?

You're relatively good on topics you know a lot about (e.g. abortion). You aren't that good when it is a topic you don't have much preexisting knowledge about and/or don't have the time (e.g. your debate with me on medical choices). I don't think the latter should severely affect an argument, at least insofar as the rebuttals are concerned: all the rebuttals require is strong comprehension of the debate. I lack that too, but I think that is something you should work on.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 10:32:23 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
You're a famous one!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I'm gonna copy Tej and do one of these, because I'd like to know the communities opinion of me as a debater and on how I can improve.

I'd like to know the site's general opinion of my debating skill.

What do you think of my debating skill level?

What are my strengths?

What are my weaknesses?

How can I improve?

Disclaimer: I'm not going to get "hurt" if someone harshly criticizes me; all I want is for you to be honest.

I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:18:38 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.

I am aware. But I can't refute your point if your point is just bare assertion. If this was a debate then it would bare no weight to begin with. Regardless of whether I refuted or even responded to the claim voter's probably wouldn't treat it as having an impact on the resolution due to the evident lack of sourcing and explanation in support of the claim.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:25:05 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
You're a solid debater and I agree on topics that you're comfortable with, you're on point. What I would like to see from you is, when you do debates that your familiar with, like abortion, that you try some different wording/framing of your original case to expand your lexical comprehensiveness, which can improve how persuasive your original cases are.

With rebuttals, you could try approaching it as a conversation so that your rebuttal rounds seem more like a dialogue/back and forth.

I do enjoy your debates, so keep up the good work...there's no way you're 13, you sound too smart.
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:28:24 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:18:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.

I am aware. But I can't refute your point if your point is just bare assertion. If this was a debate then it would bare no weight to begin with. Regardless of whether I refuted or even responded to the claim voter's probably wouldn't treat it as having an impact on the resolution due to the evident lack of sourcing and explanation in support of the claim.

But in your OP you asked for people's opinion of you as a debater. You didn't ask for substantiated opinions - and I doubt you'd be asking for evidence if my contention was that you're just super! Thus, my question remains, how do you respond to that contention?
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:30:04 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:25:05 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
You're a solid debater and I agree on topics that you're comfortable with, you're on point. What I would like to see from you is, when you do debates that your familiar with, like abortion, that you try some different wording/framing of your original case to expand your lexical comprehensiveness, which can improve how persuasive your original cases are.

I do occasionally do this but I do agree that I should be doing more of this.

With rebuttals, you could try approaching it as a conversation so that your rebuttal rounds seem more like a dialogue/back and forth.

I'll try that out. A lot of debaters do write like that (including you) and it's definitely easier to read.

I do enjoy your debates, so keep up the good work...there's no way you're 13, you sound too smart.

I'm really not that smart. As I think I've already said, there are plenty of people on the site that are around my age and are smarter than me. Tejretics, for example, is 14 and he's a better debater than me - and he's a lot smarter overall too.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:28:24 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:18:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.

I am aware. But I can't refute your point if your point is just bare assertion. If this was a debate then it would bare no weight to begin with. Regardless of whether I refuted or even responded to the claim voter's probably wouldn't treat it as having an impact on the resolution due to the evident lack of sourcing and explanation in support of the claim.

But in your OP you asked for people's opinion of you as a debater. You didn't ask for substantiated opinions - and I doubt you'd be asking for evidence if my contention was that you're just super! Thus, my question remains, how do you respond to that contention?

In the OP I gave specific questions. Including: how can I improve. That is basically the same as asking you for justification for the claim: you suck at debating. If you claim that I suck, yet you cannot tell me how to improve then you aren't fulfilling the requirements set by the OP.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:34:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 7:29:08 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I've only read two of your debates (one with DK, and one with me). Of those, I think you need to read and comprehend the debaters' arguments better, when it comes to rebuttal-framing and crystallizing. Rebutting arguments is a similar skill to judging, which requires excellent comprehension of the debate and how to respond to those arguments.

I agree, I'm definitely a lot stronger at constructing arguments than I am at rebutting my opponent's case and crystallizing my own.

Read some debates of people like bluesteel, Raisor and Danielle. Look at how they formulate rebuttals to the arguments. You should be able to formulate rebuttals and express excellent comprehension of the debate. Also read bluesteel's and thett3's votes, and see what comprehension is depicted by them.

I'll give them a look. I have read a few of their debates already but I don't tend to read other people's votes if they're not on my debate so I'll look at them too.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:37:06 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 7:31:23 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
What do you think of my debating skill level?

You're relatively good on topics you know a lot about (e.g. abortion). You aren't that good when it is a topic you don't have much preexisting knowledge about and/or don't have the time (e.g. your debate with me on medical choices). I don't think the latter should severely affect an argument, at least insofar as the rebuttals are concerned: all the rebuttals require is strong comprehension of the debate. I lack that too, but I think that is something you should work on.

I think that the reason that I lost the debate on adolescents making autonomous medical decisions with you was more about the fact that you ran a kritik and because of the time restraints as opposed to it being a new topic but I do agree that I'm not as good at new topics as I am with those that I am familiar with.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Posts: 591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:39:27 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:30:04 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:25:05 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
You're a solid debater and I agree on topics that you're comfortable with, you're on point. What I would like to see from you is, when you do debates that your familiar with, like abortion, that you try some different wording/framing of your original case to expand your lexical comprehensiveness, which can improve how persuasive your original cases are.

I do occasionally do this but I do agree that I should be doing more of this.

With rebuttals, you could try approaching it as a conversation so that your rebuttal rounds seem more like a dialogue/back and forth.

I'll try that out. A lot of debaters do write like that (including you) and it's definitely easier to read.

Yeah, it's only a suggestion, but I agree it helps readability.

I do enjoy your debates, so keep up the good work...there's no way you're 13, you sound too smart.

I'm really not that smart. As I think I've already said, there are plenty of people on the site that are around my age and are smarter than me. Tejretics, for example, is 14 and he's a better debater than me - and he's a lot smarter overall too.

I know, I like giving you crap about being so young and knowing so much because I sense a lack of confidence in your intelligence on your part.
I think if you start understanding that you're actually on the same intellect level as people like tejretics, that your confidence will show in your arguments.

Again, as far as having experience with people around your age, I've gotta be one of the most expirienced given my profession, so please understand the superlative I keep honestly telling you...if you're 13, you're THE smartest 13 year old I've ever had any academic experience with...I've been teaching high school for close to 10 years now, and I've had students get full rides to college...you've got all the tools to become one of the best debaters, go get 'em.
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:28:24 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:18:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.

I am aware. But I can't refute your point if your point is just bare assertion. If this was a debate then it would bare no weight to begin with. Regardless of whether I refuted or even responded to the claim voter's probably wouldn't treat it as having an impact on the resolution due to the evident lack of sourcing and explanation in support of the claim.

But in your OP you asked for people's opinion of you as a debater. You didn't ask for substantiated opinions - and I doubt you'd be asking for evidence if my contention was that you're just super! Thus, my question remains, how do you respond to that contention?

In the OP I gave specific questions. Including: how can I improve. That is basically the same as asking you for justification for the claim: you suck at debating. If you claim that I suck, yet you cannot tell me how to improve then you aren't fulfilling the requirements set by the OP.

True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:41:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:28:24 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:18:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.

I am aware. But I can't refute your point if your point is just bare assertion. If this was a debate then it would bare no weight to begin with. Regardless of whether I refuted or even responded to the claim voter's probably wouldn't treat it as having an impact on the resolution due to the evident lack of sourcing and explanation in support of the claim.

But in your OP you asked for people's opinion of you as a debater. You didn't ask for substantiated opinions - and I doubt you'd be asking for evidence if my contention was that you're just super! Thus, my question remains, how do you respond to that contention?

In the OP I gave specific questions. Including: how can I improve. That is basically the same as asking you for justification for the claim: you suck at debating. If you claim that I suck, yet you cannot tell me how to improve then you aren't fulfilling the requirements set by the OP.

I think Your a unreal debater. That gun debate was the gun . I can't offer anymore. Your in my my top 10. And I won't mention your age.
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 2:07:46 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.

I am aware that I asked for opinions but I also asked for justification. If I made the claim that I am God without any evidence in a debate you wouldn't go into depth in rebuttal.That would unnecessary. All you have to do is mention that the sole burden of proof is on Pro to prove that they are God and if they cannot provide any evidence for the claim then it is irrelevant. The claim that I suck cannot bare any weight in the first place if you cannot tell me where to improve. By responding, I don't know, you automatically invalidate the claim stating that I suck because you cannot possibly say that I suck if you cannot tell me where I can do better. I know that the opinion is subjective however that is irrelevant because if you genuinly believe that I suck then I must be doing something wrong in certain areas because otherwise, by definition, I wouldn't suck. So if I'm doing wrong, in your subjective opinion, in certain areas then you ought to respond to the question: "how can I improve" with the answer: "you can improve on area x because that is why I said that you suck". If you cannot respond then you cannot possibly know that I suck because you cannot critique my debating ability.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 2:09:17 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:41:17 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:28:24 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:18:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:12:05 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:09:51 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 10:48:40 AM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:56:34 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't know. Let's have a little debate.
My contention is that you suck at debating.
How do you respond?

You have the sole burden of proof to prove that claim. Due to your lack of evidence in your claim this should be viewed as assertion. Due to the lack of explanation and evidence in support of your argument I can't really respond much further than that.

I'm not saying it's true. It's merely a contention for the purposes of debate. The debate will establish if it has validity.

I am aware. But I can't refute your point if your point is just bare assertion. If this was a debate then it would bare no weight to begin with. Regardless of whether I refuted or even responded to the claim voter's probably wouldn't treat it as having an impact on the resolution due to the evident lack of sourcing and explanation in support of the claim.

But in your OP you asked for people's opinion of you as a debater. You didn't ask for substantiated opinions - and I doubt you'd be asking for evidence if my contention was that you're just super! Thus, my question remains, how do you respond to that contention?

In the OP I gave specific questions. Including: how can I improve. That is basically the same as asking you for justification for the claim: you suck at debating. If you claim that I suck, yet you cannot tell me how to improve then you aren't fulfilling the requirements set by the OP.

I think Your a unreal debater. That gun debate was the gun . I can't offer anymore. Your in my my top 10. And I won't mention your age.

Thanks. I wouldn't class myself as in the top 10 though. I'm not that good.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 2:18:04 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 2:07:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.

I am aware that I asked for opinions but I also asked for justification. If I made the claim that I am God without any evidence in a debate you wouldn't go into depth in rebuttal.That would unnecessary. All you have to do is mention that the sole burden of proof is on Pro to prove that they are God and if they cannot provide any evidence for the claim then it is irrelevant. The claim that I suck cannot bare any weight in the first place if you cannot tell me where to improve. By responding, I don't know, you automatically invalidate the claim stating that I suck because you cannot possibly say that I suck if you cannot tell me where I can do better. I know that the opinion is subjective however that is irrelevant because if you genuinly believe that I suck then I must be doing something wrong in certain areas because otherwise, by definition, I wouldn't suck. So if I'm doing wrong, in your subjective opinion, in certain areas then you ought to respond to the question: "how can I improve" with the answer: "you can improve on area x because that is why I said that you suck". If you cannot respond then you cannot possibly know that I suck because you cannot critique my debating ability.

Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 2:24:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 1:39:27 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:30:04 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:25:05 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:
I do enjoy your debates, so keep up the good work...there's no way you're 13, you sound too smart.

I'm really not that smart. As I think I've already said, there are plenty of people on the site that are around my age and are smarter than me. Tejretics, for example, is 14 and he's a better debater than me - and he's a lot smarter overall too.

I know, I like giving you crap about being so young and knowing so much because I sense a lack of confidence in your intelligence on your part.
I think if you start understanding that you're actually on the same intellect level as people like tejretics, that your confidence will show in your arguments.

Maybe. I don't know if I can honestly consider myself as good as good as the likes of Tejretics though - especially considering that he has beaten me in a debate before.

Again, as far as having experience with people around your age, I've gotta be one of the most expirienced given my profession, so please understand the superlative I keep honestly telling you...if you're 13, you're THE smartest 13 year old I've ever had any academic experience with...I've been teaching high school for close to 10 years now, and I've had students get full rides to college...you've got all the tools to become one of the best debaters, go get 'em.

Thanks.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 2:18:04 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:07:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.

I am aware that I asked for opinions but I also asked for justification. If I made the claim that I am God without any evidence in a debate you wouldn't go into depth in rebuttal.That would unnecessary. All you have to do is mention that the sole burden of proof is on Pro to prove that they are God and if they cannot provide any evidence for the claim then it is irrelevant. The claim that I suck cannot bare any weight in the first place if you cannot tell me where to improve. By responding, I don't know, you automatically invalidate the claim stating that I suck because you cannot possibly say that I suck if you cannot tell me where I can do better. I know that the opinion is subjective however that is irrelevant because if you genuinly believe that I suck then I must be doing something wrong in certain areas because otherwise, by definition, I wouldn't suck. So if I'm doing wrong, in your subjective opinion, in certain areas then you ought to respond to the question: "how can I improve" with the answer: "you can improve on area x because that is why I said that you suck". If you cannot respond then you cannot possibly know that I suck because you cannot critique my debating ability.

Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:07:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:18:04 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:07:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.

I am aware that I asked for opinions but I also asked for justification. If I made the claim that I am God without any evidence in a debate you wouldn't go into depth in rebuttal.That would unnecessary. All you have to do is mention that the sole burden of proof is on Pro to prove that they are God and if they cannot provide any evidence for the claim then it is irrelevant. The claim that I suck cannot bare any weight in the first place if you cannot tell me where to improve. By responding, I don't know, you automatically invalidate the claim stating that I suck because you cannot possibly say that I suck if you cannot tell me where I can do better. I know that the opinion is subjective however that is irrelevant because if you genuinly believe that I suck then I must be doing something wrong in certain areas because otherwise, by definition, I wouldn't suck. So if I'm doing wrong, in your subjective opinion, in certain areas then you ought to respond to the question: "how can I improve" with the answer: "you can improve on area x because that is why I said that you suck". If you cannot respond then you cannot possibly know that I suck because you cannot critique my debating ability.

Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.

Well, you don't suck. You're clearly an intelligent person and you like to debate. A little too much maybe - as here, you furthered the debate at the expense of the simple strategic victory. That may be a consequence of the forums, where quite often you have to nurse the discussion a little; whereas, in an actual debate - the aim is to win. You say you can do better? I'd be up for a debate...if you want? But what topic? Would you prefer something you're familiar with?
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:28:38 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 3:07:50 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:18:04 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:07:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.

I am aware that I asked for opinions but I also asked for justification. If I made the claim that I am God without any evidence in a debate you wouldn't go into depth in rebuttal.That would unnecessary. All you have to do is mention that the sole burden of proof is on Pro to prove that they are God and if they cannot provide any evidence for the claim then it is irrelevant. The claim that I suck cannot bare any weight in the first place if you cannot tell me where to improve. By responding, I don't know, you automatically invalidate the claim stating that I suck because you cannot possibly say that I suck if you cannot tell me where I can do better. I know that the opinion is subjective however that is irrelevant because if you genuinly believe that I suck then I must be doing something wrong in certain areas because otherwise, by definition, I wouldn't suck. So if I'm doing wrong, in your subjective opinion, in certain areas then you ought to respond to the question: "how can I improve" with the answer: "you can improve on area x because that is why I said that you suck". If you cannot respond then you cannot possibly know that I suck because you cannot critique my debating ability.

Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.

Well, you don't suck. You're clearly an intelligent person and you like to debate. A little too much maybe - as here, you furthered the debate at the expense of the simple strategic victory. That may be a consequence of the forums, where quite often you have to nurse the discussion a little; whereas, in an actual debate - the aim is to win. You say you can do better? I'd be up for a debate...if you want? But what topic? Would you prefer something you're familiar with?

I'm up for a debate. I don't really know your opinions on any issues so I can't really suggest a topic. If you click on my profile you can see my opinions - on the left hand side. I don't really mind which topic you pick.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:34:01 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 3:28:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:07:50 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:18:04 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:07:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:39:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 1:32:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:
True, but also in my response to your OP, I said - "I don't know." Let's have a little debate. My contention is that you suck... How do you respond? Responding by saying 'prove it' is wrong in principle and wrong in fact; firstly because you asked for opinions, and secondly because my opinions on such a matter can only be subjective. Thus, proof is beside the point. I already acknowledged I don;t know, but what might constitute proof to me, may not be proof to you - in your subjective opinion. Indeed, I very much doubt I could provide you with proof you suck.

I am aware that I asked for opinions but I also asked for justification. If I made the claim that I am God without any evidence in a debate you wouldn't go into depth in rebuttal.That would unnecessary. All you have to do is mention that the sole burden of proof is on Pro to prove that they are God and if they cannot provide any evidence for the claim then it is irrelevant. The claim that I suck cannot bare any weight in the first place if you cannot tell me where to improve. By responding, I don't know, you automatically invalidate the claim stating that I suck because you cannot possibly say that I suck if you cannot tell me where I can do better. I know that the opinion is subjective however that is irrelevant because if you genuinly believe that I suck then I must be doing something wrong in certain areas because otherwise, by definition, I wouldn't suck. So if I'm doing wrong, in your subjective opinion, in certain areas then you ought to respond to the question: "how can I improve" with the answer: "you can improve on area x because that is why I said that you suck". If you cannot respond then you cannot possibly know that I suck because you cannot critique my debating ability.

Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.

Well, you don't suck. You're clearly an intelligent person and you like to debate. A little too much maybe - as here, you furthered the debate at the expense of the simple strategic victory. That may be a consequence of the forums, where quite often you have to nurse the discussion a little; whereas, in an actual debate - the aim is to win. You say you can do better? I'd be up for a debate...if you want? But what topic? Would you prefer something you're familiar with?

I'm up for a debate. I don't really know your opinions on any issues so I can't really suggest a topic. If you click on my profile you can see my opinions - on the left hand side. I don't really mind which topic you pick.

How about death penalty? You're against, is that correct?
I don't have an opinion, but I'll argue pro if that's acceptable to you?
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:57:46 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 3:34:01 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:28:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:07:50 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.

Well, you don't suck. You're clearly an intelligent person and you like to debate. A little too much maybe - as here, you furthered the debate at the expense of the simple strategic victory. That may be a consequence of the forums, where quite often you have to nurse the discussion a little; whereas, in an actual debate - the aim is to win. You say you can do better? I'd be up for a debate...if you want? But what topic? Would you prefer something you're familiar with?

I'm up for a debate. I don't really know your opinions on any issues so I can't really suggest a topic. If you click on my profile you can see my opinions - on the left hand side. I don't really mind which topic you pick.

How about death penalty? You're against, is that correct?
I don't have an opinion, but I'll argue pro if that's acceptable to you?

I am Con but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the topic. I'm down for a debate on it but I'd prefer to argue for abortion (pro), banning guns (pro) or something else. I'm down for a debate on the death penalty if you want but those are just some other topics that I'm able to do if you want.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:07:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 3:57:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:34:01 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:28:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:07:50 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.

Well, you don't suck. You're clearly an intelligent person and you like to debate. A little too much maybe - as here, you furthered the debate at the expense of the simple strategic victory. That may be a consequence of the forums, where quite often you have to nurse the discussion a little; whereas, in an actual debate - the aim is to win. You say you can do better? I'd be up for a debate...if you want? But what topic? Would you prefer something you're familiar with?

I'm up for a debate. I don't really know your opinions on any issues so I can't really suggest a topic. If you click on my profile you can see my opinions - on the left hand side. I don't really mind which topic you pick.

How about death penalty? You're against, is that correct?
I don't have an opinion, but I'll argue pro if that's acceptable to you?

I am Con but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the topic. I'm down for a debate on it but I'd prefer to argue for abortion (pro), banning guns (pro) or something else. I'm down for a debate on the death penalty if you want but those are just some other topics that I'm able to do if you want.

I picked that one because I agree with you on most things, but we can pick something else if you want. Alternatively, we can get a third party to pick the topic and assign sides in the debate. How about, the next person to post?
famousdebater
Posts: 3,942
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:09:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 4:07:55 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:57:46 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:34:01 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:28:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:07:50 PM, autocorrect wrote:
At 3/31/2016 2:51:18 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Very well then. Based on this debate alone - my opinion is that you did well to avoid the obvious trap of taking a personal attack personally, and have kept academic distance from it. However, your aggression, in insisting I prove the point was tactically fair, but strategically unsound - either because I troll the forums to find your least proud moment, or because my opinion is subjective - and therefore beyond proof. The correct strategy in this instance would have been to ask yourself 'what kind of statement is this?' - and as you have repeatedly pointed out, it is an unsubstantiated assertion. Thus it can be countered most easily, with an opposite assertion. i.e. I think I'm a good debater. I would be forced to agree.

The thing is, I never said that I believe that I don't suck. I wouldn't accept a debate where the resolution was "famousdebater suck" because I'm unsure of how good I am at debating at the moment. If you had actually provided evidence for that claim then I'd welcome it (hence why I set up this questionnaire). I'm not trying to negate the claim that I suck. If I was then I'd probably have mentioned my notable victories, my win / loss record, etc. But I'm welcoming all feedback. I'd just like justification for the claims made. If this was an actual debate I would have performed a lot better than I just did.

Well, you don't suck. You're clearly an intelligent person and you like to debate. A little too much maybe - as here, you furthered the debate at the expense of the simple strategic victory. That may be a consequence of the forums, where quite often you have to nurse the discussion a little; whereas, in an actual debate - the aim is to win. You say you can do better? I'd be up for a debate...if you want? But what topic? Would you prefer something you're familiar with?

I'm up for a debate. I don't really know your opinions on any issues so I can't really suggest a topic. If you click on my profile you can see my opinions - on the left hand side. I don't really mind which topic you pick.

How about death penalty? You're against, is that correct?
I don't have an opinion, but I'll argue pro if that's acceptable to you?

I am Con but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the topic. I'm down for a debate on it but I'd prefer to argue for abortion (pro), banning guns (pro) or something else. I'm down for a debate on the death penalty if you want but those are just some other topics that I'm able to do if you want.

I picked that one because I agree with you on most things, but we can pick something else if you want. Alternatively, we can get a third party to pick the topic and assign sides in the debate. How about, the next person to post?

Alright.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
autocorrect
Posts: 432
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:16:33 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
will the next person to post here please pick a debate topic, from the list, and assign sides to:

autocorrect
V
famousdebater

thank you.