Jump to topic:

any tips?

swindler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:36:45 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
So I saw another person post on this forum about being new to this, er.. debate community and I figured I'd ask my own questions. I made an account a couple of weeks ago merely on a whim just to see how I compare to experienced debaters and such. Man do you guys blow me away; it's insane how the spectrum ranges from completely imbecilic trolls to some of the most intellectually gifted people I've ever seen (or read). I can see the potential to broaden my education through this site especially on controversial issues and political intrigue. So:

Any good topics you guys recommend as a starting point on this site?
How do you become a better debater or limit biases/logical fallacies?
Which forums or topics to avoid?
What is this "DDO presidency" thing? What is "Mafia"?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:49:58 AM
At 3/31/2016 3:36:45 AM, swindler wrote:
So I saw another person post on this forum about being new to this, er.. debate community and I figured I'd ask my own questions. I made an account a couple of weeks ago merely on a whim just to see how I compare to experienced debaters and such. Man do you guys blow me away; it's insane how the spectrum ranges from completely imbecilic trolls to some of the most intellectually gifted people I've ever seen (or read). I can see the potential to broaden my education through this site especially on controversial issues and political intrigue. So:

Check out the politics forum, it generally has at least *some* good discussion. I have a thread, which I believe to be pretty informative and nice, about technology in the labor market. You should check it out. :) [http://www.debate.org...]

I would first check out the NEW MEMBER READ ME!!! forum that is stickied at the top of the Debate.org forum. It should help you out some there. Also, I would suggest contacting the user Hayd, I believe he's in charge of new membership stuff. Or, you can PM me, too.

The religion forum is usually quite... uninviting.

The DDO presidency is complicated... it's basically a position of semi-leadership of the community, which sometimes has more power to initiate programs that are supposed to benefit the community. Of course, there are extreme opinions on the issue, so you'll just have to decide for yourself.

Mafia is a game played in the forums. I'm unfamiliar with it, but if you head over the the games forum, you'll find someone willing to explain it to you. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 3:50:55 AM

Start by going though the 'big issues' section on your profile. You'll be asked to choose a position on a vast amount of issues. While doing that, you'll usually come across an issue you're unfamiliar with, or on the fence about - those would be the best topics to start on. Start posting about them, asking questions, reading relevant debates or opinions, etc.,

With time comes experience, and with experience comes mastery. Find some preferred top-tier debaters and study their style. Learn from your mistakes and always try your hardest. It'll all fall into place naturally from there.

Whatever doesn't spark your interest. No-one is forcing you to read or debate anything you don't want to, so just take your time exploring the site and from there you'll come to find sections you either find interesting or not.

The DDO Presidency works similar to most school presidencies. The members will vote every 6 months for a fellow member to hold the position of site President. The site president serves various roles and has various responsibilities. The longer you spend on the site, the more familiar it'll all be for you. Our current President is Bsh1, so feel free to contact him at anytime if you have any questions specifically about the Presidency.

Mafia is an online game played here on the site. To learn more about it I'd suggest visiting the Games sub-forums. There are instructional threads as well as sign-ups for upcoming games if you'd be interested in that.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
swindler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:00:43 AM
At 3/31/2016 3:49:58 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Check out the politics forum, it generally has at least *some* good discussion. I have a thread, which I believe to be pretty informative and nice, about technology in the labor market. You should check it out. :) [http://www.debate.org...]

I assumed the politics forum would be pretty nice. There's the presidential bid goin' on and all sorts of anti-establishment threads lmao. That link you posted with the 300,000 character essay scares me but seems interesting so I'll check it out. Thanks.

I would first check out the NEW MEMBER READ ME!!! forum that is stickied at the top of the Debate.org forum. It should help you out some there. Also, I would suggest contacting the user Hayd, I believe he's in charge of new membership stuff. Or, you can PM me, too.

Will do.

Militant atheists vs. radical christians with a touch of islam amirite
swindler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:03:15 AM
At 3/31/2016 3:50:55 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Start by going though the 'big issues' section on your profile. You'll be asked to choose a position on a vast amount of issues. While doing that, you'll usually come across an issue you're unfamiliar with, or on the fence about - those would be the best topics to start on. Start posting about them, asking questions, reading relevant debates or opinions, etc.,

perfect thanks, you're right there's definitely some stuff i'm largely unfamiliar with

With time comes experience, and with experience comes mastery. Find some preferred top-tier debaters and study their style. Learn from your mistakes and always try your hardest. It'll all fall into place naturally from there.

may i add, (based on the general consensus) which users you'd dub "the top" on this site?

Whatever doesn't spark your interest. No-one is forcing you to read or debate anything you don't want to, so just take your time exploring the site and from there you'll come to find sections you either find interesting or not.

fair enough
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:34:09 AM
At 3/31/2016 4:03:15 AM, swindler wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:50:55 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

perfect thanks, you're right there's definitely some stuff i'm largely unfamiliar with

may i add, (based on the general consensus) which users you'd dub "the top" on this site?

This list is a good place to start: http://www.debate.org...

Keep in mind though, Elo isn't necessarily indicative of skill level, so just look through each debater and check out their debates. Some will be great to study and extremely helpful in developing your own style.

fair enough
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 4:57:19 AM

Welcome to DDO!

The death penalty. That's my favorite debate topic, and a good one to start with.

If suggest joining the new user mentor ship program: you get assigned an expert debater to mentor you and give you advice and feedback. Would you be interested in that?

Religion forum, talking about abortion can get annoying too

I'm sure other people have answered this sufficiently. But I would check out the NEW USRS READ ME!! Thread in the debate.org forum, it's stickied. That should answer most of your questions.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:04:31 PM
At 3/31/2016 4:00:43 AM, swindler wrote:
At 3/31/2016 3:49:58 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I assumed the politics forum would be pretty nice. There's the presidential bid goin' on and all sorts of anti-establishment threads.

Haha, yeah. Right now, it's full of election stuff, but there's usually some good content. I also tried to promote a thread that was different from the norm of the time (the one I linked).

That link you posted with the 300,000 character essay scares me but seems interesting so I'll check it out. Thanks.

Hahaha, not quite 300k characters, but I'll admit it's a substantial amount of reading. I think it's a good read, though, and that you could learn some things from it if that's what you're here for. :) I encourage your response, it'd be much appreciated!

Will do.

Yep. The mentorship program, like Hayd mentioned, is a very good help to new members.

Militant atheists vs. radical christians with a touch of islam amirite

That perfectly encapsulates the large majority of activity there. :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
swindler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 11:48:57 PM
At 3/31/2016 4:57:19 AM, Hayd wrote:

Welcome to DDO!

The death penalty. That's my favorite debate topic, and a good one to start with.

If suggest joining the new user mentor ship program: you get assigned an expert debater to mentor you and give you advice and feedback. Would you be interested in that?

As of the time being, I'll probably not take part in that. I'd much rather peruse through the elite's debates and learn their styles than to actually have a mentor indoctrinate me with a set of "how to debate" laws. Subordination's not my type of thing, but if I did find someone incredibly admirable, I might take you up on that offer haha.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 12:04:29 AM
At 3/31/2016 11:48:57 PM, swindler wrote:
At 3/31/2016 4:57:19 AM, Hayd wrote:

Welcome to DDO!

As of the time being, I'll probably not take part in that. I'd much rather peruse through the elite's debates and learn their styles than to actually have a mentor indoctrinate me with a set of "how to debate" laws. Subordination's not my type of thing, but if I did find someone incredibly admirable, I might take you up on that offer haha.

Alrighty no worries lol