Jump to topic:

Random thoughts on Italy

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 8:22:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
In this thread, I will give some of my randomly occuring thoughts on Italy. I spent the first few nights in Rome and I'm now in Sorrento for a night. Without further ado:

Too many fvcking Catholics.

Why are all the middle aged women on the buses complete a$sholes?

These people drive motorcycles better than cars.

This is perhaps the only place I will ever see Jack Daniel's already mixed with Coke in a bottle for sale.

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...make limoncello.

Orange Fanta tastes awful here.

I appreciate a lot the dress style here. But if you're going to have the top few buttons of your shirt undone, abundant and greying body hair going all the way up to your neck is not exactly sexually appealing.

I saw a pickpocket in the train station with at least three phones. The police standing in a group talking like they don't have a job are fvcking useless.

These people need to figure out when the Church is bullshitting them. It's not that difficult.

Aside from a select few places, most towns in southern Italy look like complete sh!t.

Italians are just as loud in these restaurants - especially businessmen getting off work.

The state should invest in some ash trays on the sidewalks. I've seen a few, but I could probably count all the ones in Rome on my hands.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 9:30:51 PM
At 4/1/2016 9:24:09 PM, famousdebater wrote:
Lol, is there anything good about Italy?

Idk...wine, Jack and Coke ready to go, and limoncello?

More random thoughts:

I saw a sign that said "best pizza in Rome". I ate veal there. The veal tasted pretty good. And given the rundown from by brother (who ate pizza at said restaurant) I made the correct guess that it was probably not the best pizza in Rome.

I had more quality time in a pizza takeaway shop a few blocks from the Vatican than at the Vatican. The shopkeeper was very nice.

I haven't had pasta yet. I have had pizza, chicken, veal, and salmon. I am well pleased with my food.

---

@Famous So aside from alcohol: food.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 9:38:00 PM
At 4/1/2016 8:22:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
In this thread, I will give some of my randomly occuring thoughts on Italy. I spent the first few nights in Rome and I'm now in Sorrento for a night. Without further ado:

No,such thing

These people need to figure out when the Church is bullshitting them. It's not that difficult.

No such thing
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 9:54:07 PM

Bless you!

You obviously haven't dealt with ethnic Italians much... They are Italians.

Around Sorento?!? They are feakin' loons! I went into a little Church there and saw a statue of the Blessed Virgin surrounded by motorcycle helmets. Curious I inquired why they were there. I was informed that this is what the young people do to express thanks for their lives being spared in an accident. There were A LOT of helmets.

This is perhaps the only place I will ever see Jack Daniel's already mixed with Coke in a bottle for sale.

Perennial fav.

I appreciate a lot the dress style here. But if you're going to have the top few buttons of your shirt undone, abundant and greying body hair going all the way up to your neck is not exactly sexually appealing.

Swarthy and unabashedly masculine is more appreciated.

I saw a pickpocket in the train station with at least three phones. The police standing in a group talking like they don't have a job are fvcking useless.

Sorento - controlled by the mob. It isn't the police these guys should worry about! There are "fees" paid in the city. It kinda ensures "safe business". Our tour guide told us one lady on one of his tours said she couldn't find her purse. He kinda rolled his eyes and said he'd leave a message at the front desk. They went on a quick tour for an hour when they got back the purse was there with more money in it than there was when it was stolen...

A little anti-Catholic I see...

Aside from a select few places, most towns in southern Italy look like complete sh!t.

Mob rule. There are always piles of garbage in Naples.

Italians are just as loud in these restaurants - especially businessmen getting off work.

A vibrant people.

The state should invest in some ash trays on the sidewalks. I've seen a few, but I could probably count all the ones in Rome on my hands.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 10:30:19 PM
At 4/1/2016 9:54:07 PM, Geogeer wrote:

But the middle aged women act like you just killed their cat when on the metro or bus...

Around Sorento?!? They are feakin' loons! I went into a little Church there and saw a statue of the Blessed Virgin surrounded by motorcycle helmets. Curious I inquired why they were there. I was informed that this is what the young people do to express thanks for their lives being spared in an accident. There were A LOT of helmets.

Well...their cars are worse...

Perennial fav.

Sorento - controlled by the mob. It isn't the police these guys should worry about! There are "fees" paid in the city. It kinda ensures "safe business". Our tour guide told us one lady on one of his tours said she couldn't find her purse. He kinda rolled his eyes and said he'd leave a message at the front desk. They went on a quick tour for an hour when they got back the purse was there with more money in it than there was when it was stolen...

Well, this pickpocket was in Naples, not Sorrento.

Mob rule. There are always piles of garbage in Naples.

Yep.

A vibrant people.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 10:45:24 PM
At 4/1/2016 10:30:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 4/1/2016 9:54:07 PM, Geogeer wrote:

But the middle aged women act like you just killed their cat when on the metro or bus...

Now you understand why elderly Italian men can sit there completely nonplussed with chaos going on around them. Lol.

There is a strange dichotomy in Italians (especially in southern Italy). They can be warm and friendly beyond belief and they can be grossly offended at something you don't even realize happened. A people of passionate extremes...

Well...their cars are worse...

Well the speed limits, and lanes really just are suggestions...

Well, this pickpocket was in Naples, not Sorrento.

Well then I'm surprised he wasn't splitting the proceeds with the officers.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 10:53:04 PM

lol

Italian women are used to being treated like royalty by Italian men.

Indeed.

Wild.

lol

lol orange soda is not my thing

Agree. Floridian retirees could take similar advice.

Gypsies?

Yes...

lol yes

lol indeed.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:00:47 AM
I have at least tripled my lifetime consumption of San Pellegrino in my time here. I'm not complaining...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:15:15 AM
At 4/1/2016 10:45:24 PM, Geogeer wrote:
There is a strange dichotomy in Italians (especially in southern Italy). They can be warm and friendly beyond belief and they can be grossly offended at something you don't even realize happened. A people of passionate extremes...

I'm Italian (technically Sicilian but we're not that different at all) and living in Buffalo and this is even true here lol
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:26:55 AM
So many feral cats. Lots of stray dogs.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:28:08 AM

Italian women
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:30:51 AM
At 4/2/2016 12:28:08 AM, thett3 wrote:

Italian women

http://www.atlasobscura.com...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:39:09 AM
At 4/2/2016 12:15:15 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 4/1/2016 10:45:24 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I'm Italian (technically Sicilian but we're not that different at all) and living in Buffalo and this is even true here lol

I'm Canadian, so you are all crazy radicals!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:40:20 AM

They produced half of me, so there's that.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:43:20 AM
Everything South of Lazio isn't even Italy, anymore. Note the chart: https://www.google.ca...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 1:38:11 AM
I went to Italy four years ago. I visited Rome for eight days, Naples for two days, and Venice for two days. Here are my thoughts on the trip:

Rome: A great city to visit. The plethora of history spanning 3000 years was fascinating, and the art was amazing. I really like studying the Roman empire and I love ancient Roman art. The Vatican was also amazing as well. And I swear the food there was some of the best I ever had in my life, both before or after. But I'd never live here. There were many parts of town that looked rather bad, and even the good parts of town seemed suspicious to me. There were street vendors everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. You could walk 10 feet and you'd pass three. Not only that, but 75% of them were selling completely useless garbage and 20% of them were selling ridiculously overpriced badly designed art "replicas".

Naples: Sh!t. Complete sh!t. I visited one thing in Naples, and that was the major museum there. That's it. Extremely dirty, very little of the city looked well kempt. Even the food wasn't that great. I would not go back, and I wouldn't even contemplate living there.The rest of the time there was spent at Pompeii, which I actually did enjoy. I even got to go the top of Mt. Vesuvius, and it was incredible looking below at the ruins and Naples itself.

Venice: As a city, the best of the three. However, the density of tourists was almost overwhelming. Venice is much smaller than Rome, but receives similar amounts of tourists. Anything within two miles of the Piazza San Marco or the Grand Canal feels like a sardine can. But it was almost worth it (almost because I really don't like being in large crowds of people). St. Mark's Basilica was even better than the Vatican. It made me really appreciate Orthodox-based art. And the Grand Canal itself was really cool. The feel of Venice is also spectacular. I'd never live here though, as everything was wildly overpriced.

Places I Passed Through: The only major points of interest here are Florence and Bologna. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to visit either of these two cities, but they looked fine.

Overall, I definitely agree that southern Italy is sh!t. Naples, the largest city there, was complete sh!t, so I don't even want to think about what the rest of it looks like. I didn't pay much attention on the train ride on the way down to Naples. Rome and Venice were great to visit, but they both have their faults. I'll probably not be living in Italy.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 2:25:45 AM

You forgot that they're all filthy fascists.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 3:39:15 AM

Lol.

YYW says their all treated like royalty. I have seen quite the opposite--their all rude because their so used to having to fight with men for stuff. They've developed a rough exterior. It's like women in Spain.

Yup.

That's because it should be mixed with coke. Mezzo Mix <3

ROFLMAO...but if you're hot, it's amazing...

Yup. It's like that in a lot of European countries...the Czech Republic, for instance...

Yay, Corruption! Yay, Mafia!

Lol. Very true.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 3:39:39 AM
At 4/2/2016 12:00:47 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I have at least tripled my lifetime consumption of San Pellegrino in my time here. I'm not complaining...

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 4:21:58 AM

You should try the gelato ^.^
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 4:29:32 AM

As long as you don't find yourself in Naples you should be fine
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 7:43:16 AM
At 4/2/2016 3:39:39 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/2/2016 12:00:47 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Indeed

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 7:48:12 AM
At 4/2/2016 12:43:20 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Everything South of Lazio isn't even Italy, anymore. Note the chart: https://www.google.ca...

I prefer this map: http://www.visualnews.com...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 7:48:44 AM
At 4/2/2016 7:48:12 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

^ "Europe according to gay men"

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 3:49:16 PM

I went to rome for like 4 days once, it was awesome. We stayed in a hotel literally like 50 yards from the Pantheon, I think it was called the Pantheon hotel. Also went to see teh Colleseum and everything.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 11:24:58 PM
At 4/2/2016 7:48:12 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

ROFLMAO
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics