Jump to topic:

What is love?

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 12:25:25 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I always thought there was one kind of love that was a more basic emotion and that anything else I felt like that high that you get, and the feeling of belonging with someone was just other things mixed in that interact with love, but someone else the other day said their are multiple kinds of love, and that its weird to think that the love of a sister, or a friend is the same as the love of a lover.

What do you guys think? Apparently my outlook is pretty rare. I feel like all love is the same, and that its sort of like a battery that can power different devices, and be expressed in different ways. Is love universal, or are their different kinds? Quantity, or quality? Can you make love?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:19:17 AM
At 4/3/2016 12:25:25 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
I always thought there was one kind of love that was a more basic emotion and that anything else I felt like that high that you get, and the feeling of belonging with someone was just other things mixed in that interact with love, but someone else the other day said their are multiple kinds of love, and that its weird to think that the love of a sister, or a friend is the same as the love of a lover.

What do you guys think? Apparently my outlook is pretty rare. I feel like all love is the same, and that its sort of like a battery that can power different devices, and be expressed in different ways. Is love universal, or are their different kinds? Quantity, or quality? Can you make love?

Baby don't hurt me...

Don't hurt me...

No more...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:38:24 AM

Good question
I to want to know what love is.
I want you to show me.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:46:46 AM

"Maybe it means something more - something we can't yet understand. Maybe it's some evidence, some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive. I'm drawn across the universe to someone I haven't seen in a decade, who I know is probably dead. Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that, even if we can't understand it."- Dr. Brand, Interstellar
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:50:20 AM

To me love is a verb - an action - and sometimes results in feelings.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:51:22 AM
At 4/3/2016 2:19:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Baby don't hurt me...

Don't hurt me...

No more...

(Woah-woah-woah, oh, oh)
(Woah-woah-woah, oh, oh)
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:55:25 AM

What do you guys think?

What is love? Baby don't hurt me...don't hurt me... No more.
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:56:15 AM
At 4/3/2016 2:19:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Baby don't hurt me...

Don't hurt me...

No more...

Hey that's what I said. Jeepers we must think alike.
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:19:12 AM

What do you guys think? Apparently my outlook is pretty rare.

- I'd say pretty simplistic.

I feel like all love is the same

- Pure Love is the same for everyone, & it is the ideal state of Love amongst human beings.

and that its sort of like a battery that can power different devices, and be expressed in different ways.

- That's one why to look at it, as in the origins of Love.

Is love universal, or are their different kinds?

- Both.

Quantity, or quality?

- Both.

Can you make love?

- In what sense?
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:22:04 AM
Nice nice question
I think we can learn something miss turner told us.
TINA 6 : 9 oh what's love got to do, got to do with it , what's love but a second hand in motion.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:33:35 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:22:04 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Nice nice question
TINA 6 : 9 oh what's love got to do, got to do with it , what's love but a second hand in motion.

It's a second-hand emotion dumbass lol
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:42:02 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:33:35 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Nice nice question

How embarrassing. Right you are.
I just sung it out loud.
And if I did this in font of anyone ever, I don't think they would know I was singing it wrong. I mean what's a second hand in motion got to do with it.
Thx man
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:06:28 PM

There are two kinds of love: conditional and unconditional. Conditional love requires that a person be something you wish them to be in order for you to love them. This love is appropriate for romanticism; you can't be romantic with any person so there must be conditions. My romantic partner satisfies my conditions, and if she failed to then my conditional love for her would fall away. Conditional love is meant to be special, it is reserved for one person and is not the same as unconditional love.

Unconditional love means that no matter what a person does, you will continue to care about them. My daughter does not have to meet any conditions, she could stab me in my chest and it wouldn't change how I feel about her. One could sum Jesus' message up most succinctly (ignoring what Christians have to add about metaphysics) by saying that we should love everybody unconditionally, not just our families. "Turn the other cheek" means that you elevate yourself spiritually above the need for conditionality from others. You must vote for Bernie or I won't love you. You must be Christian, must be somebody who helps me, must be my neighbor, must be a Packers-fan, etc. Jesus said to consider everybody your family. This is the perfect state of morality, only one in a hundred thousand or more is capable of that level of strength.

What do you guys think? Apparently my outlook is pretty rare. I feel like all love is the same, and that its sort of like a battery that can power different devices, and be expressed in different ways.

What does that mean?

Is love universal, or are their different kinds? Quantity, or quality? Can you make love?

One makes love through enlightenment. We are born into this world with the belief that we are individuals within a physical universe. This naturally leads to the conclusion that we must compete with others in order to be happy. But the enlightened thinker rejects physical, objective reality as false. We are not physical beings within a physical universe, we are conscious beings within a conscious universe. "Earth, Moon, and stars revolve inside of me." - Baba Muktananda

When you hurt others, you only hurt yourself. Similarly, you only can achieve happiness through helping others.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:37:44 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:42:02 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 4/3/2016 3:33:35 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Nice nice question

How embarrassing. Right you are.
I just sung it out loud.
And if I did this in font of anyone ever, I don't think they would know I was singing it wrong. I mean what's a second hand in motion got to do with it.
Thx man

*fist-bump
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:30:25 PM
At 4/3/2016 4:06:28 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

There are two kinds of love: conditional and unconditional. Conditional love requires that a person be something you wish them to be in order for you to love them. This love is appropriate for romanticism; you can't be romantic with any person so there must be conditions. My romantic partner satisfies my conditions, and if she failed to then my conditional love for her would fall away. Conditional love is meant to be special, it is reserved for one person and is not the same as unconditional love.

My theory is that this is an illusion of love, a mistaken identity of liking something much more then other things, because it brings some benefit to you. I could draw an analogy of conditional love between laws and rights. We will change laws according to changing conditions, but the rights are something more, something that cannot be touched unless we are fundamentally changed at our core, which is where love lies. Half of country songs use love in the wrong fashion the way I feel about it, describing attraction to things we like and so while I need two definitions of love to account for conditional "love", I know there is only 1 love, not that you're wrong. That's just how I see it, and a LOT the country songs made a lot more sense once someone explained to me their theory similarly to yours.

Unconditional love means that no matter what a person does, you will continue to care about them. My daughter does not have to meet any conditions, she could stab me in my chest and it wouldn't change how I feel about her. One could sum Jesus' message up most succinctly (ignoring what Christians have to add about metaphysics) by saying that we should love everybody unconditionally, not just our families. "Turn the other cheek" means that you elevate yourself spiritually above the need for conditionality from others. You must vote for Bernie or I won't love you. You must be Christian, must be somebody who helps me, must be my neighbor, must be a Packers-fan, etc. Jesus said to consider everybody your family. This is the perfect state of morality, only one in a hundred thousand or more is capable of that level of strength.

This is the only true love to me. True love gets tested, but it never dies. You might not know if its true love, until after it shows itself like Emmarie was getting at, but it was always there and always will be. Even if you lose faith in it from time to time, true love remains forever, and will still show itself again and again, given the chance.

What do you guys think? Apparently my outlook is pretty rare. I feel like all love is the same, and that its sort of like a battery that can power different devices, and be expressed in different ways.

What does that mean?

This was pertaining to how you can express love in different ways. I was very briefly describing my view of love as something like the electricity stored in a battery, because I think its all the same, but when you apply it to different people in different ways, its expressed differently. I really like this analogy, because depending on the depth of your love, you may or may not have enough to do certain things for people, much like a double A works great for the remote, but its not enough to power your television. Another connection I see is that the battery (love) is connected, but still a separate entity of the device (you), and you need to maintain it in order for it to keep working.

Unconditional love, is just raw love. The person doesn't have to do a single thing right in your life. You just know they are lovable, whether you think it or not. You might make reasons for why they are loved, but at the end of the day, you just love them, and that's all there is to it whether there is a single reason left or not. Love does not require anything. It has no greed, nor need of fulfillment, which is why it can hurt to follow. It just is, and hopefully it is just good. On the flipside, though it needs nothing to be, it does require reconditioning. Love can never die, but it can fade or be overridden, just as it can grow, and override.

Is love universal, or are their different kinds? Quantity, or quality? Can you make love?

One makes love through enlightenment. We are born into this world with the belief that we are individuals within a physical universe. This naturally leads to the conclusion that we must compete with others in order to be happy. But the enlightened thinker rejects physical, objective reality as false. We are not physical beings within a physical universe, we are conscious beings within a conscious universe. "Earth, Moon, and stars revolve inside of me." - Baba Muktananda

When you hurt others, you only hurt yourself. Similarly, you only can achieve happiness through helping others.

Hmmm, I'll have to chew on this before I can put something halfway intelligent down. I had to think too hard about what I already wrote. I need to recharge my batteries haha.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.