Jump to topic:

Ranting About Marks

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:13:41 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just want to complain for a minute here about things.

I've gotten back a couple assignments today, and I dislike my marks on both of them for different reasons.

I've yet to lose a mark on any assignment or exam in my sentential/predicate logic course. I get everything correct, even the bonus questions, but since the prof can't give me more than perfect, he gyps me out of 5% on everything I do by going back over my assignment and coming up with some pedantic reason to dock me half a mark here and there. I got back an assignment from his today, and sure enough, 25/25, with two half-marks deducted ex-post facto (I can see where he crossed out the original mark so he could give me the lower mark) so he could also give me the bonus mark.

Not a big deal, just kind of annoying. It'd be cool to go into a final knowing I could afford to get several questions wrong and still end the course with 100%.

Second issue is my own fault. I wrote a paper for my International Relations course, but because it was due on the same day I had a bunch of other things due, and because I have this terrible of habit of never starting assignments until the day they're due, I ended up having to hand this in late. The b-tch of was once I finished it, I could tell this was literally the best essay I had ever written on anything, ever; and in fact I got it back today and the prof gave me 97% -- or at least that's what she would have given me if I handed it in on time. My real mark ended up being garbage.

Reading through her feedback makes me feel guilty, because it's full of things like;

"* Overall this paper is well-edited and you have a nice writing style"
"* I really like your discussion about the tendency today to substitute humanitarian aid for actual intervention (couldn"t agree more with what you write)."
"* Fantastic discussion re. Yugoslavia, and especially re. the role of NATO"s bombing campaign."
"* Also an insightful and well-researched discussion concerning Cambodia, and the analysis of the limited role of soft power " if not enabling role of soft power(!)."

etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, I just needed a place to b-tch about this.

/rant
I'm just a cro magnon masquerading as one of you.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:18:43 AM
Well, I can say that it doesn't make sense to have bonus questions if you can't get above a 100% on the assignment. Yeah, they're there to make up for people missing other questions, but there's no reason the grade can't be above perfect that I can see.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:22:53 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:18:43 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Well, I can say that it doesn't make sense to have bonus questions if you can't get above a 100% on the assignment. Yeah, they're there to make up for people missing other questions, but there's no reason the grade can't be above perfect that I can see.

I think the problem is when he plugs my marks into a computer it won't accept a number greater than 100.

Or maybe he'd just get a lot of flack for giving a student over 100, idk.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:25:58 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:22:53 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I think the problem is when he plugs my marks into a computer it won't accept a number greater than 100.

Yeah, that's usually why professors add an extra assignment slot and just give you full points on it.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:31:04 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:25:58 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Yeah, that's usually why professors add an extra assignment slot and just give you full points on it.

That wouldn't put me above 100% though, that would just be creating a new assignment I get 100% on.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:32:46 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:31:04 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

That wouldn't put me above 100% though, that would just be creating a new assignment I get 100% on.

Yeah, that's how it's done. It achieves the exact same affect of giving you more cushion room.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:37:28 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:32:46 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 4/6/2016 12:31:04 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Yeah, that's how it's done. It achieves the exact same affect of giving you more cushion room.

I guess it's better than nothing. I have a feeling he'd just give me extra bonus marks on the final tbh. the philosophy profs here are really lax about grading.

For example I go into my epistemology class on friday and tell the prof that I wasn't able to hand in my essay to turnitin.com because there was no slot to submit it to. He just tells me "oh yeah, I forgot to set it up. Eh, no worries I'm sure nobody plagiarized."

Madness.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:39:14 AM

Why not just not count the bonus questions?
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:41:59 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:40:21 AM, Raisor wrote:
And here I was ready to complain about my nephew Mark

Lol
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

"You're too young to be so wise, mate. Tone it down a little." - Devilry

*puffs bubble pipe*
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 12:42:30 AM
At 4/6/2016 12:39:14 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Why not just not count the bonus questions?

Dunno, maybe he finds the thought of straight up ignoring marks pedagogically offensive.