Jump to topic:

This is not the community for me

Rigoletto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:44:23 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
As the title indicates, I don't feel like this is where I belong. Sure, I've had a few interactions with people that were good, and even stimulating. But, even a quick glance that politics forum (where you would expect to find the most substantive content), it's full of garbage. Nonsense, satirical works, and utter idiocy cluster the pages, pushing out the stuff that has intellectual value. Sure, not all of it is bad, there is some good. There's just not enough of it. I mean, c'mon. Look at the economics forum. It's supposed to be the nerdiest of the nerd (or so they say)... but I see nothing but lethargy, inactivity, and little meat.

The internet is vast. I'm sure there are other communities I can find that are more intellectually satisfying, challenging, and thought-provoking. All that said, I bid farewell.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:51:33 AM
At 4/6/2016 2:44:23 AM, Rigoletto wrote:
As the title indicates, I don't feel like this is where I belong. Sure, I've had a few interactions with people that were good, and even stimulating. But, even a quick glance that politics forum (where you would expect to find the most substantive content), it's full of garbage. Nonsense, satirical works, and utter idiocy cluster the pages, pushing out the stuff that has intellectual value. Sure, not all of it is bad, there is some good. There's just not enough of it. I mean, c'mon. Look at the economics forum. It's supposed to be the nerdiest of the nerd (or so they say)... but I see nothing but lethargy, inactivity, and little meat.

The internet is vast. I'm sure there are other communities I can find that are more intellectually satisfying, challenging, and thought-provoking. All that said, I bid farewell.

Good luck in your travels.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Rigoletto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 3:40:07 PM
At 4/6/2016 2:51:33 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Good luck in your travels.

Thank you.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 5:48:10 PM
I'm not sure if you've already deactivated or not (can't be bothered to look.) but it's doubtful that you'll find any other debate/discussion site that has the same level of activity.

From what I've seen...you haven't exactly added to intellectual content in your (short) time on this site; if you think that the 'satire' that's only presently there is that out-of-place, you could always propose other topics.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:28:35 PM

Trust nothing. Test everything. Everything might be testing you. You may scour the ends of the internet and never scratch its surface. So try and see the play before the play, plays you. Good luck.
Rigoletto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 6:13:14 PM
At 4/6/2016 4:46:20 PM, TheFlex wrote:
Do something to change it then.

My individual effort alone is insufficient to make up for the lackluster quality of this site.
Rigoletto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 6:15:50 PM
At 4/6/2016 5:48:10 PM, Emilrose wrote:
I'm not sure if you've already deactivated or not (can't be bothered to look.) but it's doubtful that you'll find any other debate/discussion site that has the same level of activity.

Perhaps. I found a cool site called Edeb8, but it has very low levels of activity. Less drama.

From what I've seen...you haven't exactly added to intellectual content in your (short) time on this site; if you think that the 'satire' that's only presently there is that out-of-place, you could always propose other topics.

Have you not scoured the politics forum? I've put in their place plenty of hateful Republicans who support candidates only aimed at destroying equality and lessening the prosperity of the nation. I've added plenty of intellectual content... especially given the insanity of those with whom I have communicated. Also, your negative attitude and rudeness is not appealing.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 6:39:24 PM
At 4/11/2016 6:13:14 PM, Rigoletto wrote:
At 4/6/2016 4:46:20 PM, TheFlex wrote:
Do something to change it then.

My individual effort alone is insufficient to make up for the lackluster quality of this site.

A wise man once told me, "Be the change you want to see."
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:09:29 PM
At 4/11/2016 6:15:50 PM, Rigoletto wrote:
At 4/6/2016 5:48:10 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Perhaps. I found a cool site called Edeb8, but it has very low levels of activity. Less drama.

Indeed...Edeb8 is better if you're seeking intellectual content *only*, but as you state yourself--the levels of activity are unfortunately very low.

Have you not scoured the politics forum? I've put in their place plenty of hateful Republicans who support candidates only aimed at destroying equality and lessening the prosperity of the nation. I've added plenty of intellectual content... especially given the insanity of those with whom I have communicated. Also, your negative attitude and rudeness is not appealing.

I have scoured it--the content generally varies. At the moment there appears to be some quite vocal trolls (one that specifically comes to mind.) I concur that it is rather off-putting and doesn't exactly serve as much of an incentive. But, on other occasions, there can be decent topics; my intention was to point that out and not to be rude.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'