Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is it wrong to be attracted to your sister?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 9:09:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/8/2016 7:49:26 PM, Jedi4 wrote:
Im asking for a friend.

Sure you are.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 9:23:53 PM
IIRC, siblings tend to give off certain kinds of pheromones that are specifically unattractive to each other. However, there are some circumstances where this is overridden. For example, genetic sexual attraction is actually surprisingly common between formerly estranged relatives [http://www.dailymail.co.uk...].
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 9:27:13 PM
As for whether or not it's wrong, I can say it's at least almost certainly a bad idea. You should never have children with a genetic sibling, and even if you don't plan on having kids, the social stigma around it likely isn't worth putting up with. This is all assuming she's also into you. If she's not, or if you don't know, it's best to promptly move on to a more appropriate girl.
Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:30:53 PM
At 4/8/2016 9:27:13 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
As for whether or not it's wrong, I can say it's at least almost certainly a bad idea. You should never have children with a genetic sibling, and even if you don't plan on having kids, the social stigma around it likely isn't worth putting up with. This is all assuming she's also into you. If she's not, or if you don't know, it's best to promptly move on to a more appropriate girl.

and if she's a step-sibling?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:34:06 PM
At 4/8/2016 10:30:53 PM, Jedi4 wrote:

You'll still likely have to put up with social stigma, but you're not actually related so w/e who cares.
Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:40:11 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/8/2016 10:34:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

You'll still likely have to put up with social stigma, but you're not actually related so w/e who cares.

Youre like an incest-guru
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:40:59 PM
At 4/9/2016 11:40:11 PM, Jedi4 wrote:

Lol don't call me that
Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:41:30 PM
At 4/9/2016 11:40:59 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Lol don't call me that
But it's not an incorrect title right?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 11:42:39 PM
At 4/9/2016 11:41:30 PM, Jedi4 wrote:
At 4/9/2016 11:40:59 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Lol don't call me that
But it's not an incorrect title right?

I'm not any kind of guru, but especially not an incest guru lmao
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 12:24:23 AM
Im asking for a friend.

Incest is listed as a subtype of pedophilic disorder. Incest refers to sexual relations between close relatives for whom marriage is forbidden. It is most common between brother and sister. The next most common form, which is considered more pathological, is between father and daughter. The offspring from a father"daughter or a brother"sister union have a greater probability of inheriting a pair of recessive genes, one from each parent. For the most part, recessive genes have negative biological effects, such as serious birth defects. The incest taboo, then, has adaptive evolutionary significance (Ford & Beach, 1951). There is evidence that families in which incest occurs are unusually patriarchal, especially with respect to the subservient position of women to men (Alexander & Lupfer, 1987). Parents in these families also tend to be more neglectful and emotionally distant from their children (Madonna, Van Scoyk, & Jones, 1991).

In sum: yes, it is wrong.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 1:45:58 AM
At 4/10/2016 12:24:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Im asking for a friend.

Incest is listed as a subtype of pedophilic disorder. Incest refers to sexual relations between close relatives for whom marriage is forbidden. It is most common between brother and sister. The next most common form, which is considered more pathological, is between father and daughter. The offspring from a father"daughter or a brother"sister union have a greater probability of inheriting a pair of recessive genes, one from each parent. For the most part, recessive genes have negative biological effects, such as serious birth defects. The incest taboo, then, has adaptive evolutionary significance (Ford & Beach, 1951). There is evidence that families in which incest occurs are unusually patriarchal, especially with respect to the subservient position of women to men (Alexander & Lupfer, 1987). Parents in these families also tend to be more neglectful and emotionally distant from their children (Madonna, Van Scoyk, & Jones, 1991).

It is not necessarily pedophilic in nature.
There was this one guy who basically just treated his daughter like normal until one day when she was an adult he asked her to come over to help install a door. She came over but it was revealed to be some kind of trick door and she was trapped in the basement. Her father occasionally came down there and had sex with her; he later installed a TV and living space down there once she started bearing his children.

The DDO Blog:

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:20:28 AM
My cat, Aristotle, seems to have a thing for his sister, Psyche. I don't know if it's right or wrong since they're just cats. However, it is what it is.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 11:11:15 AM
Im asking for a friend.

You can't help who you're attracted to but it would be wrong to show it or act on it. Not because of genetics (wtf?) but because your sister is in a non-avoidable relationship with you (i mean you in general - obviously not you, Jedi4). She should be in a safe space at home with her family, and her first sexual experiences should be wholly voluntary, which means she should be able to refuse them or go for it and breakup or whatever without long term awkwardness. That's impossible with a sibling.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 5:26:35 PM
At 4/10/2016 11:11:15 AM, Hoppi wrote:
Im asking for a friend.

You can't help who you're attracted to but it would be wrong to show it or act on it. Not because of genetics (wtf?) but because your sister is in a non-avoidable relationship with you (i mean you in general - obviously not you, Jedi4). She should be in a safe space at home with her family, and her first sexual experiences should be wholly voluntary, which means she should be able to refuse them or go for it and breakup or whatever without long term awkwardness. That's impossible with a sibling.

At the same time, however, the age of the two siblings is not known.

The DDO Blog:

Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 1:50:13 AM
Im asking for a friend.

My freind's sis isn't a child bruh.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 1:59:16 AM
At 4/11/2016 1:50:13 AM, Jedi4 wrote:
Im asking for a friend.

http://www.motherjones.com...

Fine then, resort to the biological factors and the psychological factor that there is an innate revulsion to incest.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 2:00:39 AM
At 4/10/2016 5:20:28 AM, philochristos wrote:
My cat, Aristotle, seems to have a thing for his sister, Psyche. I don't know if it's right or wrong since they're just cats. However, it is what it is.

Yeah m8, Aristotle was into that stuff.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 2:01:58 AM
Im asking for a friend.

I think you and Vox are focusing on one specific detail and overlooking the rest of the information that peters is providing. In short you and him both just strawmanned peters argutment.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Carolean_Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 3:45:46 PM
I could make an argument saying that it's not inherently wrong but social and genetic factors make it unpalatable, but f*ck it, just do what you want.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 3:48:21 PM
At 4/11/2016 2:01:58 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Im asking for a friend.

I think you and Vox are focusing on one specific detail and overlooking the rest of the information that peters is providing. In short you and him both just strawmanned peters argutment.

Not really. I was simply pointing out how dumb the incest=pedophilia equation is. I wasn't saying that the rest of the post was dumb.

The DDO Blog:

Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 8:41:26 PM
At 4/11/2016 10:39:01 PM, TUF wrote:
Ryuu, the incest guru. I like the sound of that.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:30:44 AM
And the decay of society on display. One has to ask such a question?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 1:59:42 PM
At 4/8/2016 9:09:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Im asking for a friend.

Sure you are.

That was the first thought that ran through my mind.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 2:00:30 PM
Im asking for a friend.

It depends on who you are and your moral stance on incest. Society will look down upon it, but that's up to you.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 3:58:22 AM
At 4/14/2016 3:30:44 AM, sadolite wrote:

aiii bro. How do u think we all got here? incest m8. Adam eve and all that. Noah. Yeahhh man it was a better time.
GoOrDin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 2:59:05 PM
Im asking for a friend.

It would be like saying you can't cognitively think of your lifecycle. It would be parallel to admitting that you have no capacity to reason how your life will unfold.
No one can know the future, but to have zero bearing on how you will adapt to the future is idiocy.

There are plenty of reasons it is wrong. SO many I am not obligated to give specific or enlightening examples. They are abundant and obviously so.

hope that gives you something to work with.

sexual attraction, and appreciation or looks are 100% different.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 5:13:47 PM
At 4/16/2016 3:58:22 AM, Jedi4 wrote:

aiii bro. How do u think we all got here? incest m8. Adam eve and all that. Noah. Yeahhh man it was a better time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that nobody really had a choice at the time if they wanted to keep the species alive.

The DDO Blog:

Jedi4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 5:15:24 PM
At 4/16/2016 5:13:47 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/16/2016 3:58:22 AM, Jedi4 wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that nobody really had a choice at the time if they wanted to keep the species alive.

So incenst =/= decay of society....