Jump to topic:

Confused About my Future

Bluepaintcan123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 6:26:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
(Sorry that this is very wordy, but I feel like the details are needed to get a good perspective on my problem.)

Recently I've been thinking a lot about my future, and what I'll plan to do for college. I've practically been swimming in hundreds of articles on "Advice on how to find your dream career" and things along those lines but I never seem to make any head way. All I really know about myself is that I want a creative career where I can express my ideas and vision.
Since that is the case, I've been looking into different careers in the arts. Fashion design seems to really stand out for me, and I am in love with the idea of creating something for the world to see. At the same time, I become discouraged when I think about how my personality doesn't really fit that career. Most of the time I am very timid around people I am not comfortable with (especially new people), I am anxious and second guess myself constantly and I am not exactly very good at socializing. Even after all of that, I still can't shake the idealized image of fashion designing from my mind.
I don't follow fashion magazines and I don't really have a sense of fashion when it comes to myself and the way I dress (unless you count sweatpants.) I am pretty much the opposite of what a fashion designer would be like, so how could I go into a career like that?
I'm really scared of wasting time on such an important decision and I want to make the right choice, but I am really confused whether this is just a hobby or a passion to me.
Since I was in elementary school I was in love with drawing, and it was something I would do all the time. Designing clothing for characters came easily to me, and it was much less frustrating than the rest of the body (but I still love drawing bodies.)
As I went into middle school I considered becoming an animator or an artist in general, but it didn't seem like the career for me. When I draw I can only do so much before I want to move on, much less creating entire animations. I've even made short animations before, and even when I felt the product was nice it felt so draining to draw the same things over and over again.
Later on I began to think that I should get a career in psychology. I was really interesting in the mind at the time since I had regular therapy sessions that I went to, and I was concerned that I might have a mental illness. Again, I realized that it might not be the career for me. The reason was because of my stubborn personality, my difficulty in showing emotions (sometimes just don't respond in social situations when I know I should be, like laughing at a joke. I do respond sometimes, though), and I realized there might be times where I just won't care about the patient.
Now I am still incredible confused and alone. I don't really do in depth research on the history of fashion, I don't know all the brand names and their life stories, and I don't know nearly enough as I should. That makes me think that I might not be dedicated enough to do the job, or that I'll just give up if it becomes too hard. In the end, I still can't shake the idea of how amazing it would be to have a career in fashion. I don't care about being in the starlight, I just care about making beautiful clothes, but I know that that isn't what being a designer is about. It"s about business, and predicting trends. It"s about giving people what they want, and making sure that it is practical for your company. It is about socializing and networking.
The reasons why I am so in love with it is for a few reasons.
-I love to look at fashion from the past, like Victorian clothing, 1920's clothing,1940's clothing and others.
-I like to draw out different designs for different types of clothing, especially dresses (but I can also draw casual clothing and work clothes too.)
-I have made clothing before (technically.) I drew out a design for a circle skirt, picked out the fabric, cut the material, but my mom sewed it together. I was so excited it to finish it that I had to finish it that day and so we had to stay up really late. I felt comfortable wearing it and that made me want to do it again. Of course, when I went in public I felt embarrassed about it (since I am shy) but I tried to play it off and showed people what I made. This moment was so vivid in my mind and I can't help but think that I shouldn't be a fashion designer simply because of that.
(Also as another note, I know there is a lot of business involved in fashion. If I can't decide then I might major in business and minor in fashion, but if I find out I want to do fashion then it will be reversed.)
I know that asking strangers on the internet would probably not do much, but at the very least I feel comfortable expressing an issue that has been on my mind for a while now.
I feel like my personality will be the deciding factor in my career, but could I still make it work if I really want to do this? Is it okay to chase an unrealistic dream like this, especially with such a high chance of failure?
I just wanted to put this out here, and hopefully someone will have a good answer.
-Blue
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:04:47 PM
As a random internet stranger, here are some things I've come up with:

1. Maybe you could become a manga artist? Contrary to what some people believe, Americans can produce manga.
2. Find a person who shares your interest in one of these career paths and enter the profession with this person as your business partner.
3. To be a psychologist you should avoid emotional attachment to the patient. Think of the patient as a puzzle for you to wrap your mind around and solve.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 7:40:35 PM
At 4/10/2016 6:26:18 PM, Bluepaintcan123 wrote:
(Sorry that this is very wordy, but I feel like the details are needed to get a good perspective on my problem.)

Recently I've been thinking a lot about my future, and what I'll plan to do for college. I've practically been swimming in hundreds of articles on "Advice on how to find your dream career" and things along those lines but I never seem to make any head way. All I really know about myself is that I want a creative career where I can express my ideas and vision.
Since that is the case, I've been looking into different careers in the arts. Fashion design seems to really stand out for me, and I am in love with the idea of creating something for the world to see. At the same time, I become discouraged when I think about how my personality doesn't really fit that career. Most of the time I am very timid around people I am not comfortable with (especially new people), I am anxious and second guess myself constantly and I am not exactly very good at socializing. Even after all of that, I still can't shake the idealized image of fashion designing from my mind.
I don't follow fashion magazines and I don't really have a sense of fashion when it comes to myself and the way I dress (unless you count sweatpants.) I am pretty much the opposite of what a fashion designer would be like, so how could I go into a career like that?
I'm really scared of wasting time on such an important decision and I want to make the right choice, but I am really confused whether this is just a hobby or a passion to me.
Since I was in elementary school I was in love with drawing, and it was something I would do all the time. Designing clothing for characters came easily to me, and it was much less frustrating than the rest of the body (but I still love drawing bodies.)
As I went into middle school I considered becoming an animator or an artist in general, but it didn't seem like the career for me. When I draw I can only do so much before I want to move on, much less creating entire animations. I've even made short animations before, and even when I felt the product was nice it felt so draining to draw the same things over and over again.
Later on I began to think that I should get a career in psychology. I was really interesting in the mind at the time since I had regular therapy sessions that I went to, and I was concerned that I might have a mental illness. Again, I realized that it might not be the career for me. The reason was because of my stubborn personality, my difficulty in showing emotions (sometimes just don't respond in social situations when I know I should be, like laughing at a joke. I do respond sometimes, though), and I realized there might be times where I just won't care about the patient.
Now I am still incredible confused and alone. I don't really do in depth research on the history of fashion, I don't know all the brand names and their life stories, and I don't know nearly enough as I should. That makes me think that I might not be dedicated enough to do the job, or that I'll just give up if it becomes too hard. In the end, I still can't shake the idea of how amazing it would be to have a career in fashion. I don't care about being in the starlight, I just care about making beautiful clothes, but I know that that isn't what being a designer is about. It"s about business, and predicting trends. It"s about giving people what they want, and making sure that it is practical for your company. It is about socializing and networking.
The reasons why I am so in love with it is for a few reasons.
-I love to look at fashion from the past, like Victorian clothing, 1920's clothing,1940's clothing and others.
-I like to draw out different designs for different types of clothing, especially dresses (but I can also draw casual clothing and work clothes too.)
-I have made clothing before (technically.) I drew out a design for a circle skirt, picked out the fabric, cut the material, but my mom sewed it together. I was so excited it to finish it that I had to finish it that day and so we had to stay up really late. I felt comfortable wearing it and that made me want to do it again. Of course, when I went in public I felt embarrassed about it (since I am shy) but I tried to play it off and showed people what I made. This moment was so vivid in my mind and I can't help but think that I shouldn't be a fashion designer simply because of that.
(Also as another note, I know there is a lot of business involved in fashion. If I can't decide then I might major in business and minor in fashion, but if I find out I want to do fashion then it will be reversed.)
I know that asking strangers on the internet would probably not do much, but at the very least I feel comfortable expressing an issue that has been on my mind for a while now.
I feel like my personality will be the deciding factor in my career, but could I still make it work if I really want to do this? Is it okay to chase an unrealistic dream like this, especially with such a high chance of failure?
I just wanted to put this out here, and hopefully someone will have a good answer.

Maybe you could work with other people and have them do the business part while you do the actual designing. I know that's not a great answer, but it sounds like you're really interested in fashion and I think you should pursue your dreams. (God, I sound like an "inspirational" poster)
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2016 8:23:33 PM
My advice would be to pursue two paths at the same time - one ideal, one more dependable. Like maybe you could look into video games design while reading psychology. Or something like that. Good luck.