Jump to topic:

Lack of Friends/Help Making Friends

Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 5:17:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I don't have many friends. I shouldn't even use the plural definition of "friends". I have only one friend; the group I'm around most of the time is just people I hang out with.

When I DID find someone, my only friend, that I trusted enough, I ended up liking that person and they didn't respond in kind when I told them about my feelings regarding them. We're still friends, but I don't feel the relationship is as close as it was before due to my confession, and now I feel like I can't really come to them with much anymore with anything because they might feel "annoyed" if I keep telling them about my issues when they don't tell me any of theirs.

As such, I'd like to make some more friends but there's a few issues. Firstly, I have problems trusting anyone. It takes a while for me to develop a sense of trust (and I mean a LONG while), so I can't just say "hey there, you're my friend" to just anyone. I can talk and be amiable to them, sure, but I can't just call them my "friend". It wouldn't seem right to me.

Secondly, I'm shy and introverted af. Any activity such as a party drains me if I'm not with people I commonly hang out with, and even then I can't consider them my friends because I don't trust them enough. So finding new people I can make my friend is hard.

With these two combined, I've no clue what to do. I can't trust the people I currently talk to (because they're all jokesters, really), yet at the same time I can't find new people to talk to to begin with to make my friend. I guess I require more out of a friendship than most, and may also explain while I'll probably never be in a romantic relationship.

As such, any advice/help's appreciated.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 7:25:15 PM
At 4/11/2016 5:17:31 PM, Valkrin wrote:

What do you want out of a friend? What makes you so reluctant to trust the people you hang out with?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 8:33:08 PM
Are there no clubs you're interested in at your school?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 8:40:56 PM
At 4/11/2016 7:25:15 PM, Sapphique wrote:

What do you want out of a friend? What makes you so reluctant to trust the people you hang out with?

One I can have conversations with withot judgment, one I can trust and one I can stand behind. As well as having a sense of humor.

The current group of people I hang out with all have the humor aspect but unfortunately can't hold a deep conversation nor can they really be trusted.

I can't trust them because I feel like they joke about everything so they wouldn't take anything I had to say as serious enough to be trustworthy. For instance, I'd never tell any of them I'm bi b/c they'd probably tell some other people thinking it's a joke. I hang out with them cause they're funny and the other groups at my school are complete *ss, but I can't see myself trusting them to refrain from saying too much.
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 8:41:25 PM
At 4/11/2016 8:33:08 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Are there no clubs you're interested in at your school?

I started one but it died due to lack of interest.
XxMelissaxX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:35:07 PM
Try this link:
http://personalexcellence.co...

Hope this helps :)
And I really hope you find good friends :)

Okay, let me share how I got my good friends.

Let's her name her Pat. So Pat was a friend from my fantastic childhood. We lived in the same house as a kid. Although we've had rough times together, we were always good friends. Yes, we went through a lot of fights when we were younger. She's related to me in a way too (my dad's cousin, but she's only 3 months older than me). We also go to the same school. So try finding some one your old friends and try to hang out. Maybe it will work.

Let's name this one Joe. I met her in Grade 6. She was a new kid in our school that year. And that was the year she got bullied. We weren't even friends in the beginning. She was one of those random strangers just sitting in class for me. I didn't really like her, didn't care about her either. But then things started getting worse. She got bullied more than I thought. Her group of friends ditched her. They spread rumors about her. They blamed stuff on her for no damn reason. Everything was "her fault". So after half the year, I started noticing things were getting worse for her and one day, I asked her what happened. She looked at me, surprised that I actually talked to her (not trying to brag but I was the popular kid in class so), and replied in 2 words: "long story". I told her that I had time to listen and she told me everything, beginning to end, leaving no details. Since that day, I stood up for her. I knew she was right. I told the bullies to leave her alone. When they didn't listen, I told the principal (yes, I'm a snitch when it comes to bullies cause its so intolerable). The teachers found out and the problem still wasn't solved. In grade 7, the same thing continued. I stood up for her every single damn day. She told me everything. I told her everything. (Let me conclude, the story hasn't finished but its too long) And that's how we became good friends. She trusts me with everything. I trust her too. So try hanging out with the not-so-popular kids. Or the kids that are getting bullied. It might work.

Say Hi to Bob. She came to this school in Grade 7 (I'm in grade 8 right now). We weren't really good friends, not friends at all I guess. But this year, everything changed. Bob was very good friends with Joe (previously mentioned). And I was pretty good friends with Joe. That's how me and Bob became good friends. We talk a little too much now I guess. She has an amazing sense of humor and we have the same interests for a lot of stuff (sports, same last name, books, etc.) We are literally twins. Every time I'm about to say something, she says it or vice versa. Everyone in our class says we are "twins" (although we're not). We can laugh at the dumbest things. So maybe try hanging out with your friends' friends. Or try hanging out with people who has similar interests as you.

I can go on with the list of friends for a long time and how we became good friends.
But I'll leave you to this much for now.

I wish you the best of luck to find a best friend you can trust, has a great sense of humor, and won't judge you :D

~Melissa xx
I need my pizza.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:02:51 AM
At 4/11/2016 9:35:07 PM, XxMelissaxX wrote:
Try this link:

Let's her name her Pat. So Pat was a friend from my fantastic childhood. We lived in the same house as a kid. Although we've had rough times together, we were always good friends. Yes, we went through a lot of fights when we were younger. She's related to me in a way too (my dad's cousin, but she's only 3 months older than me). We also go to the same school. So try finding some one your old friends and try to hang out. Maybe it will work.

Let's name this one Joe. I met her in Grade 6. She was a new kid in our school that year. And that was the year she got bullied. We weren't even friends in the beginning. She was one of those random strangers just sitting in class for me. I didn't really like her, didn't care about her either. But then things started getting worse. She got bullied more than I thought. Her group of friends ditched her. They spread rumors about her. They blamed stuff on her for no damn reason. Everything was "her fault". So after half the year, I started noticing things were getting worse for her and one day, I asked her what happened. She looked at me, surprised that I actually talked to her (not trying to brag but I was the popular kid in class so), and replied in 2 words: "long story". I told her that I had time to listen and she told me everything, beginning to end, leaving no details. Since that day, I stood up for her. I knew she was right. I told the bullies to leave her alone. When they didn't listen, I told the principal (yes, I'm a snitch when it comes to bullies cause its so intolerable). The teachers found out and the problem still wasn't solved. In grade 7, the same thing continued. I stood up for her every single damn day. She told me everything. I told her everything. (Let me conclude, the story hasn't finished but its too long) And that's how we became good friends. She trusts me with everything. I trust her too. So try hanging out with the not-so-popular kids. Or the kids that are getting bullied. It might work.

Say Hi to Bob. She came to this school in Grade 7 (I'm in grade 8 right now). We weren't really good friends, not friends at all I guess. But this year, everything changed. Bob was very good friends with Joe (previously mentioned). And I was pretty good friends with Joe. That's how me and Bob became good friends. We talk a little too much now I guess. She has an amazing sense of humor and we have the same interests for a lot of stuff (sports, same last name, books, etc.) We are literally twins. Every time I'm about to say something, she says it or vice versa. Everyone in our class says we are "twins" (although we're not). We can laugh at the dumbest things. So maybe try hanging out with your friends' friends. Or try hanging out with people who has similar interests as you.

I can go on with the list of friends for a long time and how we became good friends.

I wish you the best of luck to find a best friend you can trust, has a great sense of humor, and won't judge you :D

~Melissa xx

I hate to say it, Melissa, but Val and I are in that group of non-popular kids XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:15:57 AM
The best advice I could give to someone who finds it difficult to make friends is to be the kind of person other people want to be friends with.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
XxMelissaxX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 1:11:12 AM
At 4/12/2016 12:15:57 AM, lamerde wrote:
The best advice I could give to someone who finds it difficult to make friends is to be the kind of person other people want to be friends with.

So truee
I was gonna say the same thing :)
I need my pizza.
XxMelissaxX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 1:13:23 AM
At 4/12/2016 12:02:51 AM, Vaarka wrote:
Try this link:

~Melissa xx

I hate to say it, Melissa, but Val and I are in that group of non-popular kids XP

Oh no, you too? Hope you guys find amazing friends ASAP :)
And that's totally fine, I mean, you don't need to be popular to have friends. Are there any other people who are not the popular kids? Yes, I'm pretty sure there is! Hang out with them! Try. It will, hopefully, work.
Wish you two the best of luck :D

~Melissa xx
I need my pizza.
coal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 1:19:41 AM
I don't have many friends. I shouldn't even use the plural definition of "friends". I have only one friend; the group I'm around most of the time is just people I hang out with.

When I DID find someone, my only friend, that I trusted enough, I ended up liking that person and they didn't respond in kind when I told them about my feelings regarding them. We're still friends, but I don't feel the relationship is as close as it was before due to my confession, and now I feel like I can't really come to them with much anymore with anything because they might feel "annoyed" if I keep telling them about my issues when they don't tell me any of theirs.

As such, I'd like to make some more friends but there's a few issues. Firstly, I have problems trusting anyone. It takes a while for me to develop a sense of trust (and I mean a LONG while), so I can't just say "hey there, you're my friend" to just anyone. I can talk and be amiable to them, sure, but I can't just call them my "friend". It wouldn't seem right to me.

Secondly, I'm shy and introverted af. Any activity such as a party drains me if I'm not with people I commonly hang out with, and even then I can't consider them my friends because I don't trust them enough. So finding new people I can make my friend is hard.

With these two combined, I've no clue what to do. I can't trust the people I currently talk to (because they're all jokesters, really), yet at the same time I can't find new people to talk to to begin with to make my friend. I guess I require more out of a friendship than most, and may also explain while I'll probably never be in a romantic relationship.

As such, any advice/help's appreciated.

I'll be your friend. There you go.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 2:43:09 AM

I used to be in a similar situation -- shy, introverted, untrusting -- and was very pessimistic about people. I saw the majority of them as fools (as they were, really) and many of those who weren't fools were immature.

Of course, I have cracked that shell, mainly due to me having a job where I have to talk to people. I have my inner-circle (we call it "The Table"), just the guys, you know?

Now, most of the guys around are jokesters, yes? So, do another thing that I have found to be helpful to breaking out of the social akwardness and make friends: talk to girls. Seriously. Girls have a maturity about them that men simply cannot match. Get to know them. Talk about their lives (and your life if asked). You will find that decent, enjoyable, mature conversation is a whole lot easier with a girl, and it will help you mature in some fashion, since women have a civilizing effect on men. You will also more than likely become more open-minded, which will help lead to better conversations with girls and guys alike. You will become more open to conversation, whether it be initiating it or carrying it on. You will become more open to romantic interests, and you will gain a confidence that will literally change your bearing/composure.

Now, this takes a while -- it took a year for me to even become remotely sociable, but once that happens, it is a domino-like effect. It becomes easier and easier every time.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 2:43:12 AM
At 4/12/2016 1:13:23 AM, XxMelissaxX wrote:
Try this link:

~Melissa xx

And that's totally fine, I mean, you don't need to be popular to have friends. Are there any other people who are not the popular kids? Yes, I'm pretty sure there is! Hang out with them! Try. It will, hopefully, work.

~Melissa xx

It's not that I'm looking for friends, I was just replying to you saying "hang out with the non-popular kids"
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
XxMelissaxX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:30:29 AM
At 4/12/2016 2:43:12 AM, Vaarka wrote:
Try this link:

~Melissa xx

~Melissa xx

It's not that I'm looking for friends, I was just replying to you saying "hang out with the non-popular kids"

Oh whoops XD
I need my pizza.
XxMelissaxX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:30:54 AM
At 4/12/2016 2:43:12 AM, Vaarka wrote:
Try this link:

~Melissa xx

~Melissa xx

Oh um whoops XD
I need my pizza.
crisiswaters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 2:44:05 AM
feel like the friends I have now, I am disconnected with them. Like I can't look at them the same without being someone different. They seem like true friends, but I can't tell. That group of people has been with me through out middle school.
crisis