Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Advice for your Past Self

RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:50:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
ITT, we post things we wish we knew when we were young/ things we are very glad we knew when we were young. Don't worry about making sure all of your are original. In fact it's good if we have a lot of similar messages, because it shows which ones are the most important.

Here's some of mine. Some of these I came up with on my own when I was young and they paid off for me, others I had to learn the hard way:

- You have a lot more time than you think you do. It's not too late to pick up an entirely new skill.

- Nobody is naturally good at everything. Don't neglect developing valuable skills just because you didn't start out as a prodigy in that particular field.

- Cut out toxic people. Even if you love them, they're not worth hating yourself over.

- No matter what, always ALWAYS be absolutely honest with yourself. Lying to yourself is the best way to lose yourself.

- Adults are lying to you; this is not the best time of your life. It gets better from here, so don't focus on "making sure you make the most of your younger years." Put the work in now so you can enjoy the best years of your life later.

- Pay attention to job markets. Not all of your interests are profitable, so rather than guessing which of your skills you should invest more time developing, actually look it up.

- No matter what path you choose, there will be people around every corner telling you you're wrong and will fail. Unless they've done it themselves, their negativity is worthless.

- Regretting things is pointless, don't waste time on it. You might wish things had turned out differently, but you'll never know how much worse things could've been if they had.

This also applies to taking advice, btw. Always take advice with a grain of salt, because for all you know, had I heeded this advice myself when I was young, I might be far worse off with an entirely different list of advices. I don't think that would've happened, but then again I'll never know, now will I?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:54:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Here's another one; help people based on who deserves it most, NOT who needs it most. To illustrate this point, consider the bank-loan example;

You have two people looking for a loan. Person A owns a small business and is doing well, but needs to expand more aggressively in order to keep up with demand, hence their request for a loan. Person B also runs a business, but it's quickly headed for bankruptcy due to a poor business model, and they need the loan to keep their business running.

Person B definitely needs the loan more than person A, but who does loaning to person B help? It doesn't help you, because they're going to burn that money and you'll never see a ROI. It doesn't help the economy, because it's just wasted money. It doesn't even help the business owner. All it does is put them farther in debt and enables them to continue wasting time operating a failing business.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,631
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:42:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I would tell my past self to go to a private high school. I opted out of that due to my negative experiences at a private school from pre-k to 8th grade. Hated it. So I chose a public high school instead. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator & Official Voting Group Czar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:46:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2016 10:42:09 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I would tell my past self to go to a private high school. I opted out of that due to my negative experiences at a private school from pre-k to 8th grade. Hated it. So I chose a public high school instead. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.

I would want you to edit that and say go to the right Private high schools. Some private schools can be filled with really stuck up and judgemental people
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Rosalie
Posts: 4,930
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 11:51:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Don't be so vulnerable. Stand up for yourself, and don't let people use you, because it will effect you later on in life.

Live your life how you want, don't let others make your life decisions for you. (I say this because last year, my parents stopped me from joining the military, which I regret)

Don't date that one guy, named ******
I'm back and I'm better.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:41:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Don't do things if the only reason you're doing it is to make others happy.

Do things without fear, because bad things can happen even when you do everything "right".

Stop wearing makeup, it's what's causing your acne. Just wash your face off and leave it that way. Trust me, I'm from the future.

Get an apartment with your friend. It's probably a bad idea, but so is where you are now, so take the chance. Who knows, it'll either be awesome or a really good story.

Only trust those that have earned it, and I mean actually earned it, not just people who are "family".

That major you want, that'll actually lead to a job in a couple years? Yeah, do that. You'll be glad you did. There is literally no reason not to, unless you want to be an unhappy chemistry major that drops out.
Don't take me too seriously plz, i'm rarely on here sober
Vaarka
Posts: 10,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:53:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you think you're above the rest, you're not. You're weaker than almost all of them. It's not until you can taste defeat, and know you're not above them, that you can humble yourself and truly become better.

I would tell my past self to start playing osu when I first heard of it in early 2014 instead of late 2014.

I would've introduced myself to the world of drum and bass much earlier in life.

I know one point in my life that I would love to go back to, when I was in 8th grade, sitting next to a girl, talking about something (can't remember what), and some other girls nearby jokingly said "Hey Vaarka, you should ask [girl] out!"... if I could, I'd go back and encourage myself to do it then, instead of laughing it off. I'd also tell myself to tell my parents earlier on that I wanted to go out with her, instead of trying to keep it from them in fear of them teasing me. I'd basically go back and tell myself "Do it...don't be afraid, just go," because I was honestly not ready in my mind then to do anything towards a relationship with the one girl I like.

So yeah, that's a thing.

I'd also tell myself to get my eagle stuff done with for scouts earlier, since I still haven't now, and am swamped with schoolwork.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCat: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
philochristos
Posts: 2,931
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 3:56:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2016 9:50:43 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
ITT, we post things we wish we knew when we were young/ things we are very glad we knew when we were young. Don't worry about making sure all of your are original. In fact it's good if we have a lot of similar messages, because it shows which ones are the most important.

Here's some of mine. Some of these I came up with on my own when I was young and they paid off for me, others I had to learn the hard way:

- You have a lot more time than you think you do. It's not too late to pick up an entirely new skill.

Would you like to learn how to make a bow or a knife? Or perhaps you'd like to learn how to knit. I'd be happy to help with that.

- Nobody is naturally good at everything. Don't neglect developing valuable skills just because you didn't start out as a prodigy in that particular field.

That's true. It bothers me when I see people quit some activity when they're not an expert at it at the very start. Making good knives takes practice.

- Cut out toxic people. Even if you love them, they're not worth hating yourself over.

I concur.

- Regretting things is pointless, don't waste time on it. You might wish things had turned out differently, but you'll never know how much worse things could've been if they had.

I am guilty of this.

This also applies to taking advice, btw. Always take advice with a grain of salt, because for all you know, had I heeded this advice myself when I was young, I might be far worse off with an entirely different list of advices. I don't think that would've happened, but then again I'll never know, now will I?

I'm not sure Solomon would agree with that. He said, "Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed" (Proverbs 15:22). You don't have to do whatever somebody advises you to do, but it does help to get different perspectives because maybe somebody will tell you something you hadn't thought of.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,931
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 3:58:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/11/2016 11:51:54 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Don't date that one guy, named ******

That's the first thing I'd tell myself. Don't get involved with that girl, *******. Damn her!
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Posts: 2,931
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 4:00:43 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 4/12/2016 12:41:19 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Don't do things if the only reason you're doing it is to make others happy.

I do things all the time for the sole purpose of making my girlfriend happy. But that always makes me happy.

Stop wearing makeup, it's what's causing your acne. Just wash your face off and leave it that way. Trust me, I'm from the future.

Thank you. Make up sucks.
"When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, the foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest." ~Proverbs 29:9

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
someloser
Posts: 1,383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 4:24:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Don't drink out of that milk carton. Just, don't.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Emilrose
Posts: 4,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 1:59:37 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
'Be patient, and more understanding.'
At 8/23/2017 2:40:57 PM, Wylted wrote: I have no idea how being a sack of flesh in an overly populated area will bring existential transformation.
Wylted
Posts: 24,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 4:05:02 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
My advice would be to kill you self, before you do any more damage to those around you.

Kinda like how everyone wants to be shot in the head before they turn into a zombie. Wait until the moment my innocence is lost and blow my brains out. So maybe take myself out at 12 or something.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 3,494
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 4:26:02 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
- Marry Daniella, don't listen to your dad

- Stop working retail

- Don't postpone college for a girl

- Move to Denver anyway, being homeless is better than Indiana

- 8 months isn't long enough to know someone

- Don't miss your court date
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 4:27:02 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 8/16/2017 4:05:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
My advice would be to kill you self, before you do any more damage to those around you.

Kinda like how everyone wants to be shot in the head before they turn into a zombie. Wait until the moment my innocence is lost and blow my brains out. So maybe take myself out at 12 or something.

Wylted there is nothing better then your ray of sunshine advice each day!! You make everyone feel special inside LOL
Wylted
Posts: 24,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 4:53:06 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 8/16/2017 1:59:37 PM, Emilrose wrote:
'Be patient, and more understanding.'

Horrible advice. You are encouraging people to sit on their thumbs and wait for good things to happen as opposed to making them happen.

Asking people to be more understanding is also encouraging them to become a doormat. I'm glad you weren't around to give yourself advice back then or your life would suck right now.
Wylted
Posts: 24,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 4:54:44 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 8/16/2017 4:27:02 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 8/16/2017 4:05:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
My advice would be to kill you self, before you do any more damage to those around you.

Kinda like how everyone wants to be shot in the head before they turn into a zombie. Wait until the moment my innocence is lost and blow my brains out. So maybe take myself out at 12 or something.

Wylted there is nothing better then your ray of sunshine advice each day!! You make everyone feel special inside LOL

Just looking to help anyone experiencing what I was going through as a child to seek the right treatment as outlined above.
Emilrose
Posts: 4,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 5:21:42 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 8/16/2017 4:53:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/16/2017 1:59:37 PM, Emilrose wrote:
'Be patient, and more understanding.'

Horrible advice. You are encouraging people to sit on their thumbs and wait for good things to happen as opposed to making them happen.

Really, if I had taken this advice, a few of my personal relationships/friendships would be a lot better. I'm not referring to ambitions/goals as such--but to the interactions that we have with others.

Asking people to be more understanding is also encouraging them to become a doormat. I'm glad you weren't around to give yourself advice back then or your life would suck right now.

I think there should be a balance; obviously too much of it could lead to one becoming a doormat, but I believe that if people are understanding towards you, it should be reciprocated. It's unfair to demand everything and give nothing; or very little at the least.
At 8/23/2017 2:40:57 PM, Wylted wrote: I have no idea how being a sack of flesh in an overly populated area will bring existential transformation.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 5:38:03 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I think everyone is different so not all advice will be suitable for everyone, I personally do not give out advice unless asked, and even then I say that's my opinion only, because someone else might have a different experience then me.

I say best advice is to just do it yourself and live it and experience it and you will have your own life lessons, but you can take some cautionary advice from others but don't just rely on it completely.

Someone tells me something is dangerous I will take their word of advice but I will probably still try it myself although with a hint of caution.
Wylted
Posts: 24,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 5:54:36 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 8/16/2017 5:21:42 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/16/2017 4:53:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/16/2017 1:59:37 PM, Emilrose wrote:
'Be patient, and more understanding.'

Horrible advice. You are encouraging people to sit on their thumbs and wait for good things to happen as opposed to making them happen.

Really, if I had taken this advice, a few of my personal relationships/friendships would be a lot better.

So you would have more people around you to bail out of jail and borrow money from you, as well as disappoint and hurt you in a myriad of ways?

I'm not referring to ambitions/goals as such--but to the interactions that we have with others.

You should have specified that, had your younger self been reading she may have started thinking paralysis of analysis was a good thing and destroyed her life. Thank god you were not around to read what you had written.

Asking people to be more understanding is also encouraging them to become a doormat. I'm glad you weren't around to give yourself advice back then or your life would suck right now.

I think there should be a balance;

Too late, you may have already read that before coming back to see yourself clarify what you meant. You just screwed your self and not in a good way. If I were you I would be so pisssed that you ruined my life and didn't clarify from the start. My advice for you, is to watch what advice she takes from you. And my advice to you is don't give unsolicited advise to yourself, particularly advice you could take the wrong way and fvck yourself with.

If I were you and you ruined my life, I would get myself pregnant and do heroin to fvck you over.

obviously too much of it could lead to one becoming a doormat, but I believe that if people are understanding towards you, it should be reciprocated. It's unfair to demand everything and give nothing; or very little at the least.
Emilrose
Posts: 4,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2017 6:40:34 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 8/16/2017 5:54:36 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/16/2017 5:21:42 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/16/2017 4:53:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/16/2017 1:59:37 PM, Emilrose wrote:
'Be patient, and more understanding.'

Horrible advice. You are encouraging people to sit on their thumbs and wait for good things to happen as opposed to making them happen.

Really, if I had taken this advice, a few of my personal relationships/friendships would be a lot better.

So you would have more people around you to bail out of jail and borrow money from you, as well as disappoint and hurt you in a myriad of ways?

Absolutely not--I could use personal examples, but I won't. The point is that I've never even given myself the chance to be disappointed and hurt.

I'm not referring to ambitions/goals as such--but to the interactions that we have with others.

You should have specified that, had your younger self been reading she may have started thinking paralysis of analysis was a good thing and destroyed her life. Thank god you were not around to read what you had written.

I thought the 'understanding' part gave a clear indication of what I meant, but indeed.

Asking people to be more understanding is also encouraging them to become a doormat. I'm glad you weren't around to give yourself advice back then or your life would suck right now.

I think there should be a balance;

Too late, you may have already read that before coming back to see yourself clarify what you meant. You just screwed your self and not in a good way. If I were you I would be so pisssed that you ruined my life and didn't clarify from the start. My advice for you, is to watch what advice she takes from you. And my advice to you is don't give unsolicited advise to yourself, particularly advice you could take the wrong way and fvck yourself with.


If I were you and you ruined my life, I would get myself pregnant and do heroin to fvck you over.

There's like 0% chance of that happening.

obviously too much of it could lead to one becoming a doormat, but I believe that if people are understanding towards you, it should be reciprocated. It's unfair to demand everything and give nothing; or very little at the least.
At 8/23/2017 2:40:57 PM, Wylted wrote: I have no idea how being a sack of flesh in an overly populated area will bring existential transformation.