Jump to topic:

Advice for your Past Self

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:50:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
ITT, we post things we wish we knew when we were young/ things we are very glad we knew when we were young. Don't worry about making sure all of your are original. In fact it's good if we have a lot of similar messages, because it shows which ones are the most important.

Here's some of mine. Some of these I came up with on my own when I was young and they paid off for me, others I had to learn the hard way:

- You have a lot more time than you think you do. It's not too late to pick up an entirely new skill.

- Nobody is naturally good at everything. Don't neglect developing valuable skills just because you didn't start out as a prodigy in that particular field.

- Cut out toxic people. Even if you love them, they're not worth hating yourself over.

- No matter what, always ALWAYS be absolutely honest with yourself. Lying to yourself is the best way to lose yourself.

- Adults are lying to you; this is not the best time of your life. It gets better from here, so don't focus on "making sure you make the most of your younger years." Put the work in now so you can enjoy the best years of your life later.

- Pay attention to job markets. Not all of your interests are profitable, so rather than guessing which of your skills you should invest more time developing, actually look it up.

- No matter what path you choose, there will be people around every corner telling you you're wrong and will fail. Unless they've done it themselves, their negativity is worthless.

- Regretting things is pointless, don't waste time on it. You might wish things had turned out differently, but you'll never know how much worse things could've been if they had.

This also applies to taking advice, btw. Always take advice with a grain of salt, because for all you know, had I heeded this advice myself when I was young, I might be far worse off with an entirely different list of advices. I don't think that would've happened, but then again I'll never know, now will I?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 9:54:36 PM
Here's another one; help people based on who deserves it most, NOT who needs it most. To illustrate this point, consider the bank-loan example;

You have two people looking for a loan. Person A owns a small business and is doing well, but needs to expand more aggressively in order to keep up with demand, hence their request for a loan. Person B also runs a business, but it's quickly headed for bankruptcy due to a poor business model, and they need the loan to keep their business running.

Person B definitely needs the loan more than person A, but who does loaning to person B help? It doesn't help you, because they're going to burn that money and you'll never see a ROI. It doesn't help the economy, because it's just wasted money. It doesn't even help the business owner. All it does is put them farther in debt and enables them to continue wasting time operating a failing business.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:42:09 PM
I would tell my past self to go to a private high school. I opted out of that due to my negative experiences at a private school from pre-k to 8th grade. Hated it. So I chose a public high school instead. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 10:46:05 PM
At 4/11/2016 10:42:09 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I would tell my past self to go to a private high school. I opted out of that due to my negative experiences at a private school from pre-k to 8th grade. Hated it. So I chose a public high school instead. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.

I would want you to edit that and say go to the right Private high schools. Some private schools can be filled with really stuck up and judgemental people
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 11:51:54 PM
Don't be so vulnerable. Stand up for yourself, and don't let people use you, because it will effect you later on in life.

Live your life how you want, don't let others make your life decisions for you. (I say this because last year, my parents stopped me from joining the military, which I regret)

Don't date that one guy, named ******
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:41:19 AM
Don't do things if the only reason you're doing it is to make others happy.

Do things without fear, because bad things can happen even when you do everything "right".

Stop wearing makeup, it's what's causing your acne. Just wash your face off and leave it that way. Trust me, I'm from the future.

Get an apartment with your friend. It's probably a bad idea, but so is where you are now, so take the chance. Who knows, it'll either be awesome or a really good story.

Only trust those that have earned it, and I mean actually earned it, not just people who are "family".

That major you want, that'll actually lead to a job in a couple years? Yeah, do that. You'll be glad you did. There is literally no reason not to, unless you want to be an unhappy chemistry major that drops out.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 12:53:12 AM
If you think you're above the rest, you're not. You're weaker than almost all of them. It's not until you can taste defeat, and know you're not above them, that you can humble yourself and truly become better.

I would tell my past self to start playing osu when I first heard of it in early 2014 instead of late 2014.

I would've introduced myself to the world of drum and bass much earlier in life.

I know one point in my life that I would love to go back to, when I was in 8th grade, sitting next to a girl, talking about something (can't remember what), and some other girls nearby jokingly said "Hey Vaarka, you should ask [girl] out!"... if I could, I'd go back and encourage myself to do it then, instead of laughing it off. I'd also tell myself to tell my parents earlier on that I wanted to go out with her, instead of trying to keep it from them in fear of them teasing me. I'd basically go back and tell myself "Do it...don't be afraid, just go," because I was honestly not ready in my mind then to do anything towards a relationship with the one girl I like.

So yeah, that's a thing.

I'd also tell myself to get my eagle stuff done with for scouts earlier, since I still haven't now, and am swamped with schoolwork.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 3:56:43 AM
At 4/11/2016 9:50:43 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
ITT, we post things we wish we knew when we were young/ things we are very glad we knew when we were young. Don't worry about making sure all of your are original. In fact it's good if we have a lot of similar messages, because it shows which ones are the most important.

Here's some of mine. Some of these I came up with on my own when I was young and they paid off for me, others I had to learn the hard way:

- You have a lot more time than you think you do. It's not too late to pick up an entirely new skill.

Would you like to learn how to make a bow or a knife? Or perhaps you'd like to learn how to knit. I'd be happy to help with that.

- Nobody is naturally good at everything. Don't neglect developing valuable skills just because you didn't start out as a prodigy in that particular field.

That's true. It bothers me when I see people quit some activity when they're not an expert at it at the very start. Making good knives takes practice.

- Cut out toxic people. Even if you love them, they're not worth hating yourself over.

I concur.

- Regretting things is pointless, don't waste time on it. You might wish things had turned out differently, but you'll never know how much worse things could've been if they had.

I am guilty of this.

This also applies to taking advice, btw. Always take advice with a grain of salt, because for all you know, had I heeded this advice myself when I was young, I might be far worse off with an entirely different list of advices. I don't think that would've happened, but then again I'll never know, now will I?

I'm not sure Solomon would agree with that. He said, "Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed" (Proverbs 15:22). You don't have to do whatever somebody advises you to do, but it does help to get different perspectives because maybe somebody will tell you something you hadn't thought of.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 3:58:42 AM
At 4/11/2016 11:51:54 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Don't date that one guy, named ******

That's the first thing I'd tell myself. Don't get involved with that girl, *******. Damn her!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 4:00:43 AM
At 4/12/2016 12:41:19 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Don't do things if the only reason you're doing it is to make others happy.

I do things all the time for the sole purpose of making my girlfriend happy. But that always makes me happy.

Stop wearing makeup, it's what's causing your acne. Just wash your face off and leave it that way. Trust me, I'm from the future.

Thank you. Make up sucks.

someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 4:24:34 AM
Don't drink out of that milk carton. Just, don't.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw