Jump to topic:

Debating:where should I start?

jinx9781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 1:22:19 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i really am considering thinking about debating as a hobby. I'm really picky about choosing my hobbies and don't have many but I was thinking I can take a 'negative' aspect about myself such as arguing and turn it into something exciting and fun. I love arguing and proving people wrong and when it comes to topics that interest me i like to research them for fun. right now im finishing my senior year of high school online so i got college ahead still trying to figure out what i want to major in. but i definitely am interested in the world of debating . I have feel like i have the passion but lack when it comes to expressing my thoughts in a well developed way and in the confidence department. I spend a lot of time online and have anxiety but I was hoping maybe taking up useful hobbies could improve my confidence and help me face my stage fright. I'd love to improve my skills so I could have more intelligent arguments and challenge others.

any advice and pointers would be great!
jinx9781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 1:29:51 AM
At 4/25/2016 1:22:19 AM, jinx9781 wrote:
not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i really am considering thinking about debating as a hobby. I'm really picky about choosing my hobbies and don't have many but I was thinking I can take a 'negative' aspect about myself such as arguing and turn it into something exciting and fun. I love arguing and proving people wrong and when it comes to topics that interest me i like to research them for fun. right now im finishing my senior year of high school online so i got college ahead still trying to figure out what i want to major in. but i definitely am interested in the world of debating . I have feel like i have the passion but lack when it comes to expressing my thoughts in a well developed way and in the confidence department. I spend a lot of time online and have anxiety but I was hoping maybe taking up useful hobbies could improve my confidence and help me face my stage fright. I'd love to improve my skills so I could have more intelligent arguments and challenge others.

Jesus, also I apologize for the grammar/punctuation and just this giant runoff sentence blob i didn't know how to edit this post Lol
musicalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 3:14:32 AM

any advice and pointers would be great! : :

Getting a desire for something is only a start. Getting good or even excellent at something requires action but only if you are programmed to do so.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 9:22:41 PM

Welcome! I would recommend going to the Debate.org Forum and checking out the NEW MEMBERS READ ME!! thread that's stickied at the top. That should be a good starting point and should familiarize you with the site a little. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

As far as debating goes, just choose a topic you enjoy and create a debate on that subject. For a frame of reference, here are a few debates I've done:
[http://www.debate.org...]
[http://www.debate.org...]

Those are just a couple of examples as far as format and things go. You can definitely change it up and do what you like, I just thought it might be nice to have a reference point. There are plenty of good debaters around here, so you can work your way up. Even if you don't want the formal setting of an actual debate, feel free to create topics in any of the forums. The politics forum has plenty of activity, so you'll be likely to get a response on something political. And, in this more laid-back setting, there's still room for plenty of discussion without being in the confines of an actual debate. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 12:28:29 AM
I spent several years lurking debating sites and reading about debate theory before I actually started debating myself. I'd like to think it paid off.

The thing is though, I didn't do this to ensure I became a better debater, I did it because I didn't want to end up like those people who dogmatically hold to wrong positions because they jumped into the debating scene too quickly and starting identifying their self-worth with their opinions. If this isn't a concern for you, then likely the sooner you start debating the faster you'll become better at it.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.