Jump to topic:

Cheating in relationships

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 2:45:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
So a girl I was dating back in September (we're just friends now) recently got into a relationship with a guy about a month ago. They were apparently dating since October, which is wierd because I was also dating her at that time and she told me she wasn't seeing anyone else at the moment. But we had no chemistry and eventually decided to be friends so whatever, I don't really care.

Anyway they only decided to be a "thing" last month, and now somehow they are already living together, which completely blows my mind, but I didn't pick up that she was the smartest girl from our dates so it's kind of unsurprising at the same time.

Anyway she has been messaging asking me for advice because apparently he's been texting and snap chatting his ex. Upon further inquiry she's also informed me that he's already cheated on her. I am trying wrap my brain around the dynamic of how they are moved in together after only being together for one month and how she forgave him for cheating this early (that's an understatement). I don't understand it.

But anyway it got me thinking about the topic of cheating and how people feel about it.
What's your line with cheating? Does it depend on the relationship, length of time, the person? Or are you a die hard stalwart that will break up with someone the instance it happens, regardless of the context?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 2:49:04 PM
At 4/27/2016 2:45:08 PM, TUF wrote:
So a girl I was dating back in September (we're just friends now) recently got into a relationship with a guy about a month ago. They were apparently dating since October, which is wierd because I was also dating her at that time and she told me she wasn't seeing anyone else at the moment. But we had no chemistry and eventually decided to be friends so whatever, I don't really care.

Anyway they only decided to be a "thing" last month, and now somehow they are already living together, which completely blows my mind, but I didn't pick up that she was the smartest girl from our dates so it's kind of unsurprising at the same time.

Anyway she has been messaging asking me for advice because apparently he's been texting and snap chatting his ex. Upon further inquiry she's also informed me that he's already cheated on her. I am trying wrap my brain around the dynamic of how they are moved in together after only being together for one month and how she forgave him for cheating this early (that's an understatement). I don't understand it.

But anyway it got me thinking about the topic of cheating and how people feel about it.
What's your line with cheating? Does it depend on the relationship, length of time, the person? Or are you a die hard stalwart that will break up with someone the instance it happens, regardless of the context?

http://tinyurl.com...

The first few songs on Beyonce's Lemonade pretty much summarize how I feel about cheating. I don't forgive cheating. Ever.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 2:49:07 PM
My cheating mantra is pretty simple: if you wouldn't do something in front of your partner, you shouldn't do it behind their back.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:46:02 PM
At 4/27/2016 2:49:04 PM, lamerde wrote:

The first few songs on Beyonce's Lemonade pretty much summarize how I feel about cheating. I don't forgive cheating. Ever.

Lol I've been seeing that song on CNN. I guess there are rumors Jay Z cheated on her? Honestly I was surprised she settled for him in the first place.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:46:53 PM
At 4/27/2016 2:49:07 PM, Maikuru wrote:
My cheating mantra is pretty simple: if you wouldn't do something in front of your partner, you shouldn't do it behind their back.

So your a one shot and your done type of guy too?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:49:21 PM
At 4/27/2016 3:46:53 PM, TUF wrote:

Not necessarily. I would have to see how I feel in the moment. A lot of relationships survive cheating, and a lot don't. It depends on the circumstances.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 3:55:29 PM

To be honest, I cannot even really conceive of cheating occurring. So far from my reality that it seems like nothing more than a story line.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:14:18 PM

The relationship they have is completely unacceptable and is a recipe for disaster. Cheating, in general, especially if sexual is an automatic breakup.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:16:39 PM
At 4/27/2016 3:46:02 PM, TUF wrote:

Lol I've been seeing that song on CNN. I guess there are rumors Jay Z cheated on her? Honestly I was surprised she settled for him in the first place.

Yeah... basically the entire album takes you through Beyonce's emotions regarding the situation. It starts with anger and other emotions I can't remember right now, but basically a "fvck you" attitude to the guy. It ends with her forgiving him and mending their relationship. I stop at "fvck you."

Maybe it's different when you have a child with someone, I don't know. I tried to forgive someone once after cheating because he had mental health issues. But I just fell completely out of love with him because I knew I could do better.
Why I ignore YYW:
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:27:24 PM
If someone were to cheat on me, they wouldn't see the daylight of tomorrow. :)
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:33:34 PM
Takng one course of action in the face of any moral shortfall without regard to context is never a good decision.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:48:48 PM
How i would deal with it:

Don't apologize, i don't want to hear
it because i have already forgiven you.

There was also probably some reason.

I am not fulfulling your every need.

Goodbye, you aren't going to have me if
that isn't so, i am not the right one for you.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:01:03 PM
I'd be upset if I were cheated on. I think communication is key. I'd find out why they cheated and if how they feel about the person they cheated on me with.

I'm a pretty cynical person about love, so I highly doubt I'd stay with them.

If they have a somewhat reasonable reason for cheating on me, I'd forgive them probably.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:01:36 PM
It's just about the worst thing you can do to a person.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:12:03 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:01:36 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Me?
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:19:26 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:12:03 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Me?

Why would you think I'm talking about you?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:21:48 PM

I'm a person who's willing to forgive and lend out a second chance, depending on what happened I guess.

First off, it needs to actually be cheating. If I have a girlfriend, and I'm talking to another girl about something, that's not cheating. I don't know the concrete definition of cheating, but I believe it to be when at least one person in the relationship has decided to not only date the other person in the relationship, but date another person at the same time, without their knowledge (or maybe one's knowledge). AKA, being unfaithful.

So, if someone truly cheats on me, I am going to probably break up, or call it off, depending especially on how far into the relationship we are. Afterwards, I will be much more reluctant to talk with them, especially if they don't seem to have too much of a problem with it. However, I am a guy who gives second chances. If, over time, they seem to honestly regret their decisions, and all that other crap, I might be more forgiving. However, if I do give them a second chance, and it happens again, then it's over.

At least, that's what I think I'd do. I haven't really experienced being cheated on, so I can't give an accurate answer to what I'd do.

Also, don't cheat. That's just stupid.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:22:40 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:01:03 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
If they have a somewhat reasonable reason for cheating on me, I'd forgive them probably.

Could you give me an example of what you consider to be a "reasonable reason"?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:26:51 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:19:26 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Me?

It sounds cruel and harsh, too fast of an end.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:39:39 PM
At 4/27/2016 4:16:39 PM, lamerde wrote:
At 4/27/2016 3:46:02 PM, TUF wrote:

Yeah... basically the entire album takes you through Beyonce's emotions regarding the situation. It starts with anger and other emotions I can't remember right now, but basically a "fvck you" attitude to the guy. It ends with her forgiving him and mending their relationship. I stop at "fvck you."

Maybe it's different when you have a child with someone, I don't know. I tried to forgive someone once after cheating because he had mental health issues. But I just fell completely out of love with him because I knew I could do better.

Yeah it seems like it would be really hard to look at them the same way and feel the same connection after something like that.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:41:28 PM
At 4/27/2016 3:49:21 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 4/27/2016 3:46:53 PM, TUF wrote:

Not necessarily. I would have to see how I feel in the moment. A lot of relationships survive cheating, and a lot don't. It depends on the circumstances.

I can agree with that.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:42:50 PM
At 4/27/2016 4:14:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

The relationship they have is completely unacceptable and is a recipe for disaster. Cheating, in general, especially if sexual is an automatic breakup.

One of the stalwarts too. Promiscuity seems to be a big issue for many people.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:45:34 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:19:26 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Me?

Lmao
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:47:19 PM
At 4/27/2016 4:33:34 PM, Subutai wrote:
Takng one course of action in the face of any moral shortfall without regard to context is never a good decision.

This is a good point....
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:48:41 PM

Lol, one word: Karma.

Sounds like she's finally getting what she deserved after playing you like that with another guy (ironically the same guy now cheating on her).

I'm a die-hard stalwart that will break up with the person the instant I've caught wind that they've been unfaithful. No remorse, no forgiveness. You hook up with someone else while we're dating and that's it.

For me, the thing is, there are 3 billion other options - so for her to cheat on me is just silly because it's not like I can't find an equally good, if not better, replacement in due time.

I just have no need to stay with that person and "work" it out when I can get a date an hour later with someone else.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:50:28 PM
At 4/27/2016 4:27:24 PM, Rosalie wrote:
http://www.nationalindependentparty.ie...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:51:36 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:50:28 PM, TUF wrote:
At 4/27/2016 4:27:24 PM, Rosalie wrote:
http://www.nationalindependentparty.ie...

You know it.

Id cut a bit*h
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:51:49 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:42:50 PM, TUF wrote:
At 4/27/2016 4:14:18 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

One of the stalwarts too. Promiscuity seems to be a big issue for many people.

They don't love you if they're going to betray you like that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:52:22 PM
At 4/27/2016 5:48:41 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
For me, the thing is, there are 3 billion other options - so for her to cheat on me is just silly because it's not like I can't find an equally good, if not better, replacement in due time.

Are you sure "replacement" is the best way to put it?
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy