Jump to topic:

I need help with punctuation marks....

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:06:23 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Can someone teach me proper punctuation? Specifically the proper usage of the comma and apostrophe. I've been writing a book for sometime now and I'd like to get the first two chapters perfectly edited with proper punctuation so I can use it as a template for the rest of my book.

I'm not asking anyone to edit it for me, but rather, I'd like to learn how to properly use these punctuation marks myself so I don't have to rely on anything or anyone for this kinda stuff anymore.

Oh, and before you ask - yes... I missed those lessons in school. It was right around the time my parents got divorced so I was mentally and emotionally elsewhere for several months, learnt nothing but how to accept pain and a broken family that year.

So yeah, anyone willing to just go over the basics with me via PM's, please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:12:47 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:06:23 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Can someone teach me proper punctuation? Specifically the proper usage of the comma and apostrophe. I've been writing a book for sometime now and I'd like to get the first two chapters perfectly edited with proper punctuation so I can use it as a template for the rest of my book.

I'm not asking anyone to edit it for me, but rather, I'd like to learn how to properly use these punctuation marks myself so I don't have to rely on anything or anyone for this kinda stuff anymore.

Oh, and before you ask - yes... I missed those lessons in school. It was right around the time my parents got divorced so I was mentally and emotionally elsewhere for several months, learnt nothing but how to accept pain and a broken family that year.

So yeah, anyone willing to just go over the basics with me via PM's, please feel free to contact me at anytime.
I used to know these - but forgot when I started using my own punctuation of using a dash with spaces to separate ideas - since it makes thoughts easier to read.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:18:29 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:12:47 AM, Emmarie wrote:

I used to know these - but forgot when I started using my own punctuation of using a dash with spaces to separate ideas - since it makes thoughts easier to read.

I totally know what you mean. I've kinda got my own rules for punctuation based on the basics that are evident from reading tons of stuff on the daily and then my own preferences for controlling the tone or presentation of my thoughts through text.

The problem is that idk if my own rules would be acceptable for a book I'm attempting to publish for the reading pleasure of a wide audience. There's certain things I'm just not 100% sure about, and not being 100% sure drives me crazy. Like just now with my usage of "There's". I used the apostrophe to imply "There is" but apparently the usage of the apostrophe in that manner only applies to words like "It's". I just don't know... ughhh
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:21:38 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:18:29 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I totally know what you mean. I've kinda got my own rules for punctuation based on the basics that are evident from reading tons of stuff on the daily and then my own preferences for controlling the tone or presentation of my thoughts through text.

The problem is that idk if my own rules would be acceptable for a book I'm attempting to publish for the reading pleasure of a wide audience. There's certain things I'm just not 100% sure about, and not being 100% sure drives me crazy. Like just now with my usage of "There's". I used the apostrophe to imply "There is" but apparently the usage of the apostrophe in that manner only applies to words like "It's". I just don't know... ughhh

Wait, I should have said "There are certain things" since the subject is plural. God I really wish I could have been emotionally/mentally distracted during a less vital time in elementary school.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:22:04 AM

Well, what's your main problem? Your grammar seems fine. Your second sentence in your first paragraph is a run-on, but that's about it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:32:06 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:22:04 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Well, what's your main problem? Your grammar seems fine. Your second sentence in your first paragraph is a run-on, but that's about it.

I'm not too sure what my main problem is... which in itself is a problem. For instance, I don't know what things like pronouns, adverbs, or prepositions are. I'm aware of it all, like I've heard all those terms before but don't know what they mean or how they affect/shape our use of language. So even a "run-on sentence" is something that I've heard of, but don't know how to avoid or identify myself.

Ultimately, I know how to use punctuation marks well-enough to get by, but don't know why they're all used when they are or how to use them 100% accurately.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:44:27 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:32:06 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I'm not too sure what my main problem is... which in itself is a problem. For instance, I don't know what things like pronouns, adverbs, or prepositions are. I'm aware of it all, like I've heard all those terms before but don't know what they mean or how they affect/shape our use of language. So even a "run-on sentence" is something that I've heard of, but don't know how to avoid or identify myself.

Ultimately, I know how to use punctuation marks well-enough to get by, but don't know why they're all used when they are or how to use them 100% accurately.

I think if you're talking about reading for pleasure then you shouldn't focus on 100% perfect. This is mainly because people who write like that usually choose to write in the style/way that they want, sometimes like "Method Acting". Sometimes you'll find oddities prevalent throughout an entire book, but sometimes they're pretty standard. Some people choose to write how they speak (IE things like gotta, stuff, tons, and abbreviations you certainly wouldn't find in an academic journal) People aren't going to be focusing on the grammar, rather they'll be focusing on the content, story, plot, characters, etc. For example, 50 Shades of Grey is actually considered just plain "bad writing". Not only is its story and formula bad, but so is the "grammar" itself. She puts ellipses pretty much anywhere she wants, adds random interjections, doesn't set clear the difference from the speaker's thoughts and what's actually going on (meaning she blends the two causing even more interjection issues), and some other noticeable issues.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:51:16 AM

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 7:56:47 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:18:29 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I feel ya, I refrain from typing up many pages of a book I've started for the very same reasons. I'll look for some online sources and PM you if I find any guides that are concise enough to refer to with relative ease. I need to do this for my own formal writing as well.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 8:11:22 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:44:27 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I think if you're talking about reading for pleasure then you shouldn't focus on 100% perfect. This is mainly because people who write like that usually choose to write in the style/way that they want, sometimes like "Method Acting". Sometimes you'll find oddities prevalent throughout an entire book, but sometimes they're pretty standard. Some people choose to write how they speak (IE things like gotta, stuff, tons, and abbreviations you certainly wouldn't find in an academic journal) People aren't going to be focusing on the grammar, rather they'll be focusing on the content, story, plot, characters, etc. For example, 50 Shades of Grey is actually considered just plain "bad writing". Not only is its story and formula bad, but so is the "grammar" itself. She puts ellipses pretty much anywhere she wants, adds random interjections, doesn't set clear the difference from the speaker's thoughts and what's actually going on (meaning she blends the two causing even more interjection issues), and some other noticeable issues.

That's a really good point that I didn't consider. Thank you for sharing that, it does lift the self-imposed burden a little :)
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 8:13:45 AM
At 5/1/2016 7:51:16 AM, Geogeer wrote:

I added this to my watch later playlist because I know I'm gonna end up watching alot of these, lol. Thank you for sharing this.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 2:07:43 PM
At 5/1/2016 8:13:45 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/1/2016 7:51:16 AM, Geogeer wrote:

I added this to my watch later playlist because I know I'm gonna end up watching alot of these, lol. Thank you for sharing this.

I could've written something out, but the YouTube video does it so much more professionally...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 5:46:16 PM
At 5/1/2016 5:13:11 PM, YYW wrote:
Realistically, this is the best resource for the purpose you're seeking on the internet:

http://theoatmeal.com...

I really appreciate the apostrophe portion of that link, it's one of the two punctuation marks I needed to review the most, thank you!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:14:41 PM

I can help with that, if you'd like. My punctuation is usually on point, a few errors here and there, but I can teach you some stuff.

Oh and when to use the ; thing, I'm not too sure how that works, but I have a general idea. If anyone wants to explain how to use the ; to me, I'd appreciate that :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:22:08 PM
At 5/1/2016 6:14:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I can help with that, if you'd like. My punctuation is usually on point, a few errors here and there, but I can teach you some stuff.

Oh and when to use the ; thing, I'm not too sure how that works, but I have a general idea. If anyone wants to explain how to use the ; to me, I'd appreciate that :3

I'd like to know how to properly use the semi-colon as well. I know that it's meant to separate two separate clauses in a sentence, but I don't know what clauses are.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:23:10 PM
At 5/1/2016 6:22:08 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/1/2016 6:14:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I'd like to know how to properly use the semi-colon as well. I know that it's meant to separate two separate clauses in a sentence, but I don't know what clauses are.

It's been a while since I did basic grammar in school, so I can't always remember perfectly what each term means. I just know how I'm supposed to write and where punctuation goes and whatnot.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:28:44 PM
Punctuation rules depend on the style guide and your region (British and American English have very different standards regarding the bolded part)...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:40:33 PM

I believe that's a sentence fragment, rather than a run-on...

Why do you want to know about pronouns, adverbs, etc.? Based on your DDO posts, I don't think you have trouble writing in Standard English. It's not that an explicit knowledge of English grammar will not help - it would help your metalinguistic ability, which you can then use to emulate good writing more effectively - but it is not necessary, IMO. If you believe that you are able to learn the best language practices from the masters through osmosis and developing your intuition, I think you can get away with a rudimentary or even non-existent explicit knowledge of grammar. :P

Also, it must be noted that concepts from traditional grammar may not be the best way to develop your metalinguistic ability, because there are better theories developed by modern linguists. If you would like to learn grammar from this modern, scientific perspective, you may want to read some of Steven Pinker's books (specifically Words and Rules and The Sense of Style). (I have not read those as I believe I know most of the material, but anything written by Pinker should be good :P)

To give you an idea of how modern and traditional grammar diverge, consider the phrase 'Get out!' Traditional grammar treats the 'out' as an adverb, while modern linguists treat it as an intransitive preposition based on X-bar generalisations (look up X-bar theory if you're curious).
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 6:41:36 PM
At 5/1/2016 6:28:44 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Punctuation rules depend on the style guide and your region (British and American English have very different standards regarding the bolded part)...

You're absolutely right, which in itself raises even more issues since there is no real objective standard which is what I'm kinda looking for.

I suppose, if anything, I'd like to fully understand the rules of American English since this is the country I'll be working in for the foreseeable future.