Jump to topic:

Emulating my Writing Style

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:11:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I have noticed about ten people (even one person who claims to hate me) emulate my writing style, which, admittedly, is unique.

It is that "uniqueness" that I'm seeing being utilized, but I wanted to offer some of the following suggestions so that you all can do it better:

1. "e.g." ==> You use this when you're talking about an example that is a specific case of something more general that you're talking about.

Example: I really like cheese (e.g. cheddar, swiss, brie).

You do not use "e.g." when you're trying to explain something.

2. "i.e." ==> You use this when you're trying to explain something, because "i.e." is an abbreviation for "isto es" meaning "this is." The abbreviation "i.e." is used to clarify something that isn't especially clear. It's really helpful when using jargon, too.

Example: "Moral realism (i.e. is the meta-ethical view that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception of them or our beliefs, feelings or other attitudes towards them) is controversial.

You do not use "i.e." when you are providing examples of something.

3. "With regards" and "in regards" or "in regard" sound bad. Better to say "with regard." The phrase "with regard" has better phonetic style, is more visually pleasing, and sounds more direct and precise.

Carry on,

-Senpai
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:19:36 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:11:09 PM, YYW wrote:
I have noticed about ten people (even one person who claims to hate me) emulate my writing style, which, admittedly, is unique.

It is that "uniqueness" that I'm seeing being utilized, but I wanted to offer some of the following suggestions so that you all can do it better:

1. "e.g." ==> You use this when you're talking about an example that is a specific case of something more general that you're talking about.

Example: I really like cheese (e.g. cheddar, swiss, brie).

You do not use "e.g." when you're trying to explain something.

2. "i.e." ==> You use this when you're trying to explain something, because "i.e." is an abbreviation for "isto es" meaning "this is." The abbreviation "i.e." is used to clarify something that isn't especially clear. It's really helpful when using jargon, too.

Example: "Moral realism (i.e. is the meta-ethical view that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception of them or our beliefs, feelings or other attitudes towards them) is controversial.

You do not use "i.e." when you are providing examples of something.

3. "With regards" and "in regards" or "in regard" sound bad. Better to say "with regard." The phrase "with regard" has better phonetic style, is more visually pleasing, and sounds more direct and precise.

Carry on,

-Senpai

I read this entire post in your voice, and it was rather entertaining.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:22:43 PM
lol...

The "e.g." and "i.e." stuff, especially in the context of parenthetical asides, is actually my style. Sorry to sh!t on your post, dude, but they're actually copying me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:27:42 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:22:43 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
lol...

The "e.g." and "i.e." stuff, especially in the context of parenthetical asides, is actually my style. Sorry to sh!t on your post, dude, but they're actually copying me.

http://www.reactiongifs.com...
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:28:30 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:27:42 PM, YYW wrote:
lol...

lol I'm pretty sure you picked it up from me while playing mafia the first time... you just didn't realize it...
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:33:32 PM
What I think makes your writing unique, if anything, has nothing to do with the use of "e.g." or "i.e." or even "with regard."

If anything is unique or special about your writing, it's your use of adjectives. You use them more than most, and you use them better than most, which gives your writing more color and umph.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:35:42 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:33:32 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
What I think makes your writing unique, if anything, has nothing to do with the use of "e.g." or "i.e." or even "with regard."

If anything is unique or special about your writing, it's your use of adjectives. You use them more than most, and you use them better than most, which gives your writing more color and umph.

Adjectives and adverbs both. You tend to qualify things a lot, much much more than most. You probably think you're being more precise, which sometimes is true... it's also why a lot of people think you're ridiculously verbose, which sometimes is also true...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:49:25 PM
My attempt at emulating YYW

"Hello fellow members,

you may be unaware, but let's face it you aren't unaware, but I am probably the smartest person you will ever meet in life. Just do this mental exercise. Imagine if you will the smartest person you can conceivably think of. Now multiply that level of intelligence by ten, and you have me. On top of this, I am also hands down the best individual on this planet. I am the sh!t basically.

On another note, SJW's can suck deep nuts, and societies nuts as well, for that is all they are good for. Well besides being highly entertaining in the comically tragic sense. Airmax, Bsh, Whiteflame, and Petersmith can do this as well. With that being said, you may all carry on because I am done with this announcement that I am sure you all read intently because let's face it, I'm the best and it's your privilege to be able to know me."

Regards,

- The greatest individual alive

Did I nail I? I feel I nailed it like an OSB to a truss.

XD lol, no offense meant YYW
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:51:34 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:28:30 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
lol...

lol I'm pretty sure you picked it up from me while playing mafia the first time... you just didn't realize it...

Nope.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:52:27 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:33:32 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

I agree with this, but people don't emulate my use of adjectives.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:53:26 PM
There ought to be a thread where we all make a comically absurd emulation of other members
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:59:57 PM
oooooh, i got FT

*mid mafia game*

Budda is scum

"but why FT?"

Bruh, cases are scummy, he's scum. Sheep me and we'll win

*town lynches budda, FT wins as scum*
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 3:03:11 PM

"Isto es" means "that is." "This is" and "that is" are distinct.

"Es" means "is," so it would be redundant to say "i.e. is."

I mean, these two sound very "nitpicky," but they're subtle things important to writing style.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 3:23:18 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:59:57 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
oooooh, i got FT

*mid mafia game*

Budda is scum

"but why FT?"

Bruh, cases are scummy, he's scum. Sheep me and we'll win

*town lynches budda, FT wins as scum*

lmao you got this exactly right, except one part. I win as town.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 3:28:01 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:51:34 PM, YYW wrote:
lol...

Nope.

When did you start using "e.g." and "i.e."? My guess, after you started playing mafia with me.

Yep, you picked it up from me.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:13:32 PM
I always assumed "I.e." meant "for example".
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:27:47 PM
At 5/6/2016 3:28:01 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 5/6/2016 2:51:34 PM, YYW wrote:
lol...

Nope.

When did you start using "e.g." and "i.e."? My guess, after you started playing mafia with me.

Yep, you picked it up from me.

Nope. I do recall when I picked it up, though. It was when I first started working with my advisor when he was working on getting a book he wrote and has since published, because he wrote the same way.

Had nothing to do with you. Had to do with what I used to do IRL.

It solidified the first time I got published, and had to write footnotes for, more or less, every sentence I wrote, explaining it, grounding it, etc.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:29:30 PM
At 5/6/2016 3:03:11 PM, tejretics wrote:

"Isto es" means "that is." "This is" and "that is" are distinct.

Nope.

"Es" means "is," so it would be redundant to say "i.e. is."

Nope.

I would happily refer you to any English manual of style.

I mean, these two sound very "nitpicky," but they're subtle things important to writing style.

See generally any manual of modern English usage.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:33:42 PM
Note:

People should stop correcting me (or any other person, ever) when they are wrong. FT does this periodically and embarrasses himself whenever he does, even though sometimes he does it jokingly and sometimes not.

Anyone else who does this... stop. If I am wrong, I will admit it if proven to be so, but there are few things more irritating than a person who does not know what they're talking about trying to correct someone who does.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:35:44 PM
At 5/6/2016 4:29:30 PM, YYW wrote:

I was wrong. But you were wrong, too... sort of, since "i.e." stands for the Latin "id est," and is interpreted as "that is."

As for the "moral realism" sentence, I'd like to see the manual of style you're referring to.

The sentence you gave: Moral realism (i.e. is the meta-ethical view that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception of them or our beliefs, feelings or other attitudes towards them) is controversial.

Literally: Moral realism (that is, is the meta-ethical view that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception or our beliefs, feelings or attitudes towards them) is controversial.

I would edit out the "is" after "i.e." in this context. It might make sense in another context:

Moral realism is true (i.e. is not false).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:40:06 PM
At 5/6/2016 4:35:44 PM, tejretics wrote:

I was wrong. But you were wrong, too... sort of, since "i.e." stands for the Latin "id est," and is interpreted as "that is."

Wrong again, to the extent that you are saying that the phrase that/this has distinct meaning in latin, when used in this context. Again, see generally any manual of style.

As for the "moral realism" sentence, I'd like to see the manual of style you're referring to.

The sentence you gave: Moral realism (i.e. is the meta-ethical view that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception of them or our beliefs, feelings or other attitudes towards them) is controversial.

Literally: Moral realism (that is, is the meta-ethical view that there exist such things as moral facts and moral values, and that these are objective and independent of our perception or our beliefs, feelings or attitudes towards them) is controversial.

I would edit out the "is" after "i.e." in this context. It might make sense in another context:

You have failed to grasp what purpose the "i.e." serves. The "i.e." is a SIGNAL that an explanation is coming, and the signal takes its meaning from its latin meaning, it is NOT a substitution for the latin itself. The latin origin simply explains why the signal is what it is.

And again... stop correcting me when you are wrong. To put it bluntly: It pisses me off, and makes you look dumb.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:58:07 PM
lol...

I'm older (i.e. expelled through my maternal parent's vagina canal over a full decade prior to either of you passing through yours), and thus it is both of you that have been copying my exemplary writing style.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 6:28:20 PM
At 5/6/2016 4:40:06 PM, YYW wrote:
And again... stop correcting me when you are wrong. To put it bluntly: It pisses me off, and makes you look dumb.

Fellow members of DDO, take notice of the above!

If ever you feel a need to piss YYW off, now you know how to do it without even breaking a sweat. Correct him, and make sure you're wrong about it, too.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 8:36:56 PM
The style of writing is certainly unique and impressive. But once you hit grade nine you'll find it's a bunch of flowering crap.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 12:05:23 AM
At 5/6/2016 4:40:06 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/6/2016 4:35:44 PM, tejretics wrote:

Wrong again, to the extent that you are saying that the phrase that/this has distinct meaning in latin, when used in this context. Again, see generally any manual of style.

You have failed to grasp what purpose the "i.e." serves. The "i.e." is a SIGNAL that an explanation is coming, and the signal takes its meaning from its latin meaning, it is NOT a substitution for the latin itself. The latin origin simply explains why the signal is what it is.

All manuals of style list the meaning of i.e. as "that is". They do so because i.e. *means* "that is", which itself signals the explanation.

http://imgur.com...

AP, MLA, and APA specifically list "that is" as the meaning of i.e. That is exactly how it is read.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 12:23:25 AM
At 5/6/2016 4:33:42 PM, YYW wrote:
Note:

People should stop correcting me (or any other person, ever) when they are wrong. FT does this periodically and embarrasses himself whenever he does, even though sometimes he does it jokingly and sometimes not.

Anyone else who does this... stop. If I am wrong, I will admit it if proven to be so, but there are few things more irritating than a person whom does not know what they're talking about trying to correct someone who does.

fix'd
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 12:28:13 AM
At 5/7/2016 12:23:25 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Note:

Anyone else who does this... stop. If I am wrong, I will admit it if proven to be so, but there are few things more irritating than a person whom does not know what they're talking about trying to correct someone who does.

fix'd

lol
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 12:56:20 AM
-Senpai

People didn't know that?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 1:00:28 AM
At 5/7/2016 12:28:13 AM, YYW wrote:
At 5/7/2016 12:23:25 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Note:

fix'd

lol

That should actually be "L.O.L.", it's called a homophone. Basically, you take the first letters in the phrase "laugh out loud", capitolize them, but decimal points between them, and you have yourself a new internet word.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...