Jump to topic:

Family

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 12:31:09 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I read a post on Reddit today about a man who is now a professor at a college, who had an older brother that was gay, and whose parents lied about what happened to his older brother all of his life. Only recently were they reunited, but now they are, and it changed both of their lives for the better, forever.

Original Post: https://www.reddit.com...

Struggling with it all:
https://www.reddit.com...

The Happy Ending:

Our lives are fragile, and the decisions we make can have lifetime consequences. This man's parents disowned his older brother, and he turned his back on his parents, because of it.

Even though the story here is as heartbreaking as the ending is joyful, I hope you all are fortunate enough to not go through that. But with that, we all have positives and negatives about our families; myself, certainly, included.

So I ask you all now... in a judgment-free zone...

How is your relationship with the members of your family?

What is good about your relationship with your family members?

What would you change?
Tsar of DDO
Carolean_Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 6:13:41 PM
At 5/8/2016 12:31:09 AM, YYW wrote:

My mother and I don't really talk to one another outside of family gatherings, after my parents got divorced she pretty much abandoned me emotionally. I don't feel very bad about it, I mean, if she wasn't going to put in the effort to love me why should I?

My father and I still talk, but not very often. He got remarried about a year after the divorce to some Filipino woman who subsequently took nearly all his money in the divorce another year later. I was very mad at him for a while but gradually began to see it from his perspective - he was very lonely and this woman was very nice to him, he didn't know she was a gold-digger. We usually argue over the existence of god, the matrix and other philosophical concepts.

My older sister and I are super close, she was my rock for the majority of my childhood as well as my only emotional support between the divorce and high school. Her daughter, my niece, stays over at my apartment at least once a month to 'play' and by that I mean eat tons of candy (I like to spoil her) and watch netflix. I would do anything for her and I'm sure she would say the same.

My younger sister is a different story, she was hit hardest by the divorce and had a kind of falling out with everyone else. She spent hardly any time at home because she spent most nights at friends houses. In college she became a radical feminist and refuses to talk to me because I don't believe that the gender pay gap is 77%. It's a real shame because we were close as kids.

The ones I like like me back and we spend a lot of time together. The ones I don't like don't like me either so we don't acknowledge each other.

What would you change?

I wish my younger sister and I could be closer, she's so smart and I hat to see her waste her mind on intellectual junk food.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:13:45 PM
I read a post on Reddit today about a man who is now a professor at a college, who had an older brother that was gay, and whose parents lied about what happened to his older brother all of his life. Only recently were they reunited, but now they are, and it changed both of their lives for the better, forever.

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

Our lives are fragile, and the decisions we make can have lifetime consequences. This man's parents disowned his older brother, and he turned his back on his parents, because of it.

Even though the story here is as heartbreaking as the ending is joyful, I hope you all are fortunate enough to not go through that. But with that, we all have positives and negatives about our families; myself, certainly, included.

My parents care about me, and that's easy for me to see. I care about them too, but I don't think I'm as close to my parents as I am to some other people in my life. However, I know that I can trust them with any life problems I may have.

My dad is the kind of guy who can be both serious and have that joking manner. He likes to annoy my sister and I with random stuff, but it's never really a bad thing (just annoying sometimes XP). I'm also much closer to his side of the family than my mom's side, since there's not many relatives.

My mom...is interesting. For one part of the year, she's really optimistic and happy and cheerful, and the other part of the year she's gloomy, tired, and somewhat unhappy. My sister has told me that she often calls her down to vent and share whatever stories she needs to get out, like my sister is a "therapist" of sorts that she just talks to. My sister also wishes my mom had never told her most of said stuff, so my sister isn't as close to her. She also claims my mom is the main cause of stress in her life, which I can see...
Also, my mom's side of the family...she came from a more poor family, and has several siblings, all of which have a few kids, and most of those kids have had kids. My youngest cousin on my mom's side is 25, and I'm 16. So trying to remember the names of 30+ people is annoying, and I rarely see them.

My sister and I are super close. She's one of the few people I actually trust with almost anything, and vice versa. We don't get to see each other as often since she has college, a job, and I drive on my own now. She also likes to bother me because she knows I'll tolerate her. I can't imagine a world without her, and I'm glad to have her.

I know I can trust my immediate family with almost anything. My sister and I are very close.

What would you change?
Well, if I could get my dad to stop annoying me on Saturday mornings where I'll wake up to my phone vibrating, see a text saying "wakie wakie", and then when I head out of my room, he looks up at me and has that big smile on his face, signaling for me to come down and sit beside him, and when I do, he puts his arm around me and holds me there while he talks to me in that cheerful voice of "how'd you sleep?" and other random questions to keep me sitting there for a few minutes because he knows I want to go eat or do something else, and he's wasting that time...and then tells me to do a few things, much to his enjoyment as he watches me walk off to go do said task instead of getting on the computer XP....yeah I'd change that ;3

But otherwise, my family life is pretty good. My sister is moving out, though, and I'll miss her.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 9:18:08 PM

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

This story almost made me cry manly tears. Sadly, I'm not manly enough to do so.

That's good to hear, and I agree that most people aren't, which I'm happy for.

Don't speak for others. ;)

Ooh.

Most of my relatives and non-immediate family lives 7500 miles away from me. We occasionally contact each other, but I think they do truly love and care about me, which is nice to know. I wish I got to meet them more often, and I probably will when I'm able to by myself as an adult.

I live with a mother, a younger sister, and a...father. I can tell you that my mom's all right, but we can't be together often, I'm not at all close with my younger sister, and my father...well, usually it's quite unpleasant. Let your imagination roam to fill in the gaps. I'm not one for details, even if they're important, about my life.

It's nice to be together when everyone is happy and no one is angry, sad, or yelling (in fact, it's nice to see just that in the first place). Speaking of yelling, there is usually a lot of it.
What would you change?

I tried before.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 9:19:44 PM

I have to admit that it's not uncommon for me to feel envious of others on this matter, though.
Have no regrets.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:16:27 PM
At 5/10/2016 6:13:41 PM, Carolean_Karl wrote:

My mother and I don't really talk to one another outside of family gatherings, after my parents got divorced she pretty much abandoned me emotionally.

I am sorry to hear that.

I don't feel very bad about it, I mean, if she wasn't going to put in the effort to love me why should I?

You don't owe your family anything.

My father and I still talk, but not very often. He got remarried about a year after the divorce to some Filipino woman who subsequently took nearly all his money in the divorce another year later.

Wow... I wish I could say I wasn't surprised, but Western men marrying women (other than Japanese women) really involves that kind of a risk.

I was very mad at him for a while but gradually began to see it from his perspective - he was very lonely and this woman was very nice to him, he didn't know she was a gold-digger. We usually argue over the existence of god, the matrix and other philosophical concepts.

My older sister and I are super close, she was my rock for the majority of my childhood as well as my only emotional support between the divorce and high school. Her daughter, my niece, stays over at my apartment at least once a month to 'play' and by that I mean eat tons of candy (I like to spoil her) and watch netflix. I would do anything for her and I'm sure she would say the same.

That's good.

My younger sister is a different story, she was hit hardest by the divorce and had a kind of falling out with everyone else. She spent hardly any time at home because she spent most nights at friends houses. In college she became a radical feminist and refuses to talk to me because I don't believe that the gender pay gap is 77%. It's a real shame because we were close as kids.

She will probably come around, though it's sad she got messed up with political weirdness in college.

The ones I like like me back and we spend a lot of time together. The ones I don't like don't like me either so we don't acknowledge each other.

What would you change?

I wish my younger sister and I could be closer, she's so smart and I hat to see her waste her mind on intellectual junk food.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from there.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:20:42 PM
At 5/10/2016 7:13:45 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

My parents care about me, and that's easy for me to see. I care about them too, but I don't think I'm as close to my parents as I am to some other people in my life. However, I know that I can trust them with any life problems I may have.

My dad is the kind of guy who can be both serious and have that joking manner. He likes to annoy my sister and I with random stuff, but it's never really a bad thing (just annoying sometimes XP). I'm also much closer to his side of the family than my mom's side, since there's not many relatives.

My mom...is interesting. For one part of the year, she's really optimistic and happy and cheerful, and the other part of the year she's gloomy, tired, and somewhat unhappy. My sister has told me that she often calls her down to vent and share whatever stories she needs to get out, like my sister is a "therapist" of sorts that she just talks to. My sister also wishes my mom had never told her most of said stuff, so my sister isn't as close to her. She also claims my mom is the main cause of stress in her life, which I can see...
Also, my mom's side of the family...she came from a more poor family, and has several siblings, all of which have a few kids, and most of those kids have had kids. My youngest cousin on my mom's side is 25, and I'm 16. So trying to remember the names of 30+ people is annoying, and I rarely see them.

My sister and I are super close. She's one of the few people I actually trust with almost anything, and vice versa. We don't get to see each other as often since she has college, a job, and I drive on my own now. She also likes to bother me because she knows I'll tolerate her. I can't imagine a world without her, and I'm glad to have her.

I know I can trust my immediate family with almost anything. My sister and I are very close.

What would you change?
Well, if I could get my dad to stop annoying me on Saturday mornings where I'll wake up to my phone vibrating, see a text saying "wakie wakie", and then when I head out of my room, he looks up at me and has that big smile on his face, signaling for me to come down and sit beside him, and when I do, he puts his arm around me and holds me there while he talks to me in that cheerful voice of "how'd you sleep?" and other random questions to keep me sitting there for a few minutes because he knows I want to go eat or do something else, and he's wasting that time...and then tells me to do a few things, much to his enjoyment as he watches me walk off to go do said task instead of getting on the computer XP....yeah I'd change that ;3

But otherwise, my family life is pretty good. My sister is moving out, though, and I'll miss her.

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your family :)
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:24:51 PM
At 5/10/2016 9:18:08 PM, Opsianos wrote:

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

This story almost made me cry manly tears. Sadly, I'm not manly enough to do so.

It made me cry. The feels were too much by the second post, for me.

That's good to hear, and I agree that most people aren't, which I'm happy for.

Don't speak for others. ;)

People aren't going to judge here, because if they do I'll make them feel bad about themselves.

Ooh.

Most of my relatives and non-immediate family lives 7500 miles away from me. We occasionally contact each other, but I think they do truly love and care about me, which is nice to know. I wish I got to meet them more often, and I probably will when I'm able to by myself as an adult.

What's that like? Being so far away?

I live with a mother, a younger sister, and a...father. I can tell you that my mom's all right, but we can't be together often, I'm not at all close with my younger sister, and my father...well, usually it's quite unpleasant. Let your imagination roam to fill in the gaps. I'm not one for details, even if they're important, about my life.

What's unpleasant?

It's nice to be together when everyone is happy and no one is angry, sad, or yelling (in fact, it's nice to see just that in the first place). Speaking of yelling, there is usually a lot of it.

Over what?

What would you change?

I tried before.

What happened?
Tsar of DDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:25:11 PM

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

I live a truly ideal and blessed life. I work with my parents and 2 of my 3 siblings. We all get along fantastically. My wife loves me and is faithful like a noble queen from a story book. My children are happy, healthy, beautiful and pretty smart to boot. My blessings are truly undeserved.

Love and complete trust. I would implicitly trust any one of them with my children, my life savings, or my very life.

What would you change?

Me. I need to become better in return for the incredible gift that I have received.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:26:26 PM
At 5/10/2016 11:25:11 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

I live a truly ideal and blessed life. I work with my parents and 2 of my 3 siblings. We all get along fantastically. My wife loves me and is faithful like a noble queen from a story book. My children are happy, healthy, beautiful and pretty smart to boot. My blessings are truly undeserved.

Love and complete trust. I would implicitly trust any one of them with my children, my life savings, or my very life.

What would you change?

Me. I need to become better in return for the incredible gift that I have received.

I'm really happy for you. You are tremendously fortunate. Most people in the world do not have that.
Tsar of DDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:34:00 PM
At 5/10/2016 11:26:26 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/10/2016 11:25:11 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Struggling with it all:

The Happy Ending:

What would you change?

I'm really happy for you. You are tremendously fortunate. Most people in the world do not have that.

And I know it. Because I have been so blessed, I feel a great obligation to be generous in return. Something about to whom much has been given much is expected... Well I've been given it all in spades.

The tales I read of some members on this site tear at my heart.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:54:53 PM
I hate my biological mom, and dad.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:20:42 AM
At 5/10/2016 11:54:53 PM, Rosalie wrote:

So...your parents aren't your biological parents?
Have no regrets.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:23:34 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:20:42 AM, Opsianos wrote:

I am adopted by a family that has known me since I was born. My biological dad left when I was about 3, and my biological mom let me live a horrible life, up until I was 12. She then decided she was incapable of taking care of me. She was an addict. So, she chose drugs over her own daughter.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:31:00 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:23:34 AM, Rosalie wrote:

I am adopted by a family that has known me since I was born. My biological dad left when I was about 3, and my biological mom let me live a horrible life, up until I was 12. She then decided she was incapable of taking care of me. She was an addict. So, she chose drugs over her own daughter.

I'm sad to hear that (What, you thought I'd be sorry? That's too cliche, it would be a lie, and I technically didn't do anything wrong to feel sorry :3). No one should ever give up on someone else, least of all their child, for personal interests. I hope you're happy with your adoptive parents now, though.
Have no regrets.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:36:37 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:31:00 AM, Opsianos wrote:

I'm sad to hear that (What, you thought I'd be sorry? That's too cliche, it would be a lie, and I technically didn't do anything wrong to feel sorry :3). No one should ever give up on someone else, least of all their child, for personal interests. I hope you're happy with your adoptive parents now, though.

It's okay. Lol. I'm kind if thankful, it's made me who I am today. I don't put up with bullsh*t, and I don't let people use me, in the slitest. Lol. :)

Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:42:31 AM
I would be a pastor if i had a moving testimony.

But i don't, i have lived a great life with my single mother and my sister (younger).

Which is a thing that lead me to my descision on my ambition.

To positivly affect as many people as possible.

I am going to be the president of the United States.

I don't care what anyone will say, i have my will upon it.

I'm not really an idiot, i just have low interpersonal intelligence.

That is my only limit.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:44:10 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:36:37 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 5/11/2016 12:31:00 AM, Opsianos wrote:

It's okay. Lol. I'm kind if thankful, it's made me who I am today. I don't put up with bullsh*t, and I don't let people use me, in the slitest. Lol. :)

That is good.

I try to maintain peace and justice it seems.

But sometimes i screw up in boiling anger at injustice.

It sucks sometimes.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 1:37:17 AM
My mother told me today that she won't pay for my college if I don't get a scholarship, but she can pay for trips to Rome and go out 3 to 4 nights a week.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 1:40:13 AM
Basically she told me: "go fvck yourself. You're already on your own, but I'll continue to psychologically abuse you."
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 1:58:16 AM
At 5/11/2016 1:37:17 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
My mother told me today that she won't pay for my college if I don't get a scholarship, but she can pay for trips to Rome and go out 3 to 4 nights a week.

I know you hate to hear people say this, but you really need to call CPS.

Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 4:44:09 AM
At 5/11/2016 1:58:16 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 5/11/2016 1:37:17 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I know you hate to hear people say this, but you really need to call CPS.

Only way to contact you.

////////////

No, i whined.

Don't give me attention, let us part.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 5:35:03 AM
Very good overall. I'm an only child, both my mom and my dad love me very much, and I also love them a lot. Outside of my immediate family, I have some of my dad's relatives here, but the rest (including relatives on my mom's side) are all in China. I wish I could see them more often, especially my grandpa--haven't seen him since I was 8.
We all care a lot about each other, and I can trust my parents with (almost) anything. They're probably the most important people to me in the world.
What would you change?
My parents have falling outs occasionally and it hurts all of us when that happens. I feel like they happen over pretty trivial things too. My mom is super hardworking, and a bit of a perfectionist, so she'll nag my dad about things he should've done or complain that he's lazy. It probably gets to be one too many sometimes and then my dad gets angry. There'll be some ugly words, some slamming doors, followed by frosty silence for a couple days. They're both stubborn, too, which doesn't help. But the good part is that they always work it out eventually. I'd just like it more if these things never happened in the first place.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch