Jump to topic:

Tips on Being Productive?

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:29:52 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm a huge procrastinator. For example: One of my teachers has a -10% credit for each day you don't turn in your work, and I regularly calculate the longest I can take on each assignment to maintain at least an 89.5%, which will round to an A, because those assignments are long and annoying, which is all the more reason why I should start on them earlier, but I can't bring myself to when I'm able to do something more enjoyable.

Another example is a week ago, when there was a project that was to be turned in online, which would lock at exactly midnight on a given day. I began the project at 11:30 PM, roughly finished it (apparently I type really, really fast when I'm in panic mode) at :57 or :58 (can't remember, really, but it was really close to midnight) PM, and when I tried to turn it in, the browser wouldn't respond, so I had to relaunch everything and it was already 12:01 AM when I turned it in, but somehow my submission went through anyway. Perhaps it was because I managed to open the page before it turned to midnight, but I don't know.

Anyway, I could go on and on and on, and I never really had a problem with grades or teachers (okay, some teachers don't like me for my slacking, and I don't like them for their incapability to teach, so we're even), but I really pushed procrastination to nearly the farthest extent for a long time now, probably since middle school (no, definitely middle school, and probably even before that), and I think that I'm going to break down sooner or later, and I'd like to cure myself of this problem to some degree before I actually do.

I know that I'm probably asking this from people who probably can entirely relate this and are procrastinators as well, but if there's anything or anyone that has been able to cope with this problem, I'd really appreciate their help.
Have no regrets.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:39:40 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:29:52 AM, Opsianos wrote:
I'm a huge procrastinator. For example: One of my teachers has a -10% credit for each day you don't turn in your work, and I regularly calculate the longest I can take on each assignment to maintain at least an 89.5%, which will round to an A, because those assignments are long and annoying, which is all the more reason why I should start on them earlier, but I can't bring myself to when I'm able to do something more enjoyable.

Another example is a week ago, when there was a project that was to be turned in online, which would lock at exactly midnight on a given day. I began the project at 11:30 PM, roughly finished it (apparently I type really, really fast when I'm in panic mode) at :57 or :58 (can't remember, really, but it was really close to midnight) PM, and when I tried to turn it in, the browser wouldn't respond, so I had to relaunch everything and it was already 12:01 AM when I turned it in, but somehow my submission went through anyway. Perhaps it was because I managed to open the page before it turned to midnight, but I don't know.

Anyway, I could go on and on and on, and I never really had a problem with grades or teachers (okay, some teachers don't like me for my slacking, and I don't like them for their incapability to teach, so we're even), but I really pushed procrastination to nearly the farthest extent for a long time now, probably since middle school (no, definitely middle school, and probably even before that), and I think that I'm going to break down sooner or later, and I'd like to cure myself of this problem to some degree before I actually do.

I know that I'm probably asking this from people who probably can entirely relate this and are procrastinators as well, but if there's anything or anyone that has been able to cope with this problem, I'd really appreciate their help.

Theres apps where you can block certain sites until like 5 when you finish your homework. I dont have a procrastination problem but people who do use that if they are procrastinating on the internet. If its for video games just promise yourself 0 video games til done with homework
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:42:19 AM
Productivity is overrated.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:55:39 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:39:40 AM, Hayd wrote:

Theres apps where you can block certain sites until like 5 when you finish your homework. I dont have a procrastination problem but people who do use that if they are procrastinating on the internet. If its for video games just promise yourself 0 video games til done with homework

Partially video games; nowadays, on weekdays half the time I run to a basketball court, play, and back (usually 1.5 hours), I play piano (at least 2 hours), write if I feel up to it (an hour?), and yes, I play a video game called Osu! (damn you Vaarka for getting me addicted) (1.5 hours), but it's not a website. Oh, and I spend a good deal of time on DDO (3 hours probably) ever since I joined.

So, basically, with other small things, that's already eight or nine hours, and I get home at 3. That's already 11 or midnight, then, if I haven't done any homework at all during the day (sometimes I don't have any), and I sometimes have out-of-school exams and competitions to study for too, although thankfully not right now. Still, it's really not getting good for me.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:56:44 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:42:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

What do you suggest I do then?
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:58:45 AM
I just hate homework in general. Most of it won't help me in the future, and I don't need it to study or do well on exams, or to understand classroom content (most of which, again, won't help me much).
Have no regrets.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 3:59:53 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:56:44 AM, Opsianos wrote:

You could opt for what I do - submit to cynicism and existential nihilism - or you could take the average route and force yourself to do things you don't enjoy for a future other people tell you that you want.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:05:16 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:59:53 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You could opt for what I do - submit to cynicism and existential nihilism - or you could take the average route and force yourself to do things you don't enjoy for a future other people tell you that you want.

Neither route sounds very fun or appealing.
Have no regrets.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:07:25 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:05:16 AM, Opsianos wrote:

Cynicism and existential nihilism provides a unique outside view to everything. It allows you to remove yourself from unjust expectation.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:07:44 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:30:32 AM, Opsianos wrote:
I'm sure that other members may be able to benefit from this too, lol.

+100

Wait, don't look at me... :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:09:58 AM
At 5/9/2016 3:55:39 AM, Opsianos wrote:

Partially video games; nowadays, on weekdays half the time I run to a basketball court, play, and back (usually 1.5 hours), I play piano (at least 2 hours), write if I feel up to it (an hour?), and yes, I play a video game called Osu! (damn you Vaarka for getting me addicted) (1.5 hours), but it's not a website. Oh, and I spend a good deal of time on DDO (3 hours probably) ever since I joined.

So, basically, with other small things, that's already eight or nine hours, and I get home at 3. That's already 11 or midnight, then, if I haven't done any homework at all during the day (sometimes I don't have any), and I sometimes have out-of-school exams and competitions to study for too, although thankfully not right now. Still, it's really not getting good for me.

Promise yourself you get to do all that other stuff after you finish your homework, that way you have incentive to finish your homework and you can enjoy your other activities care free without the worry of looming homework. Merely do the homework first, you can't do anything until you finish your homework
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:10:57 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:07:25 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Cynicism and existential nihilism provides a unique outside view to everything. It allows you to remove yourself from unjust expectation.

I personally don't believe in either. I don't think that not believing in any future is any better than having a dissatisfying one.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:12:09 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:09:58 AM, Hayd wrote:

Promise yourself you get to do all that other stuff after you finish your homework, that way you have incentive to finish your homework and you can enjoy your other activities care free without the worry of looming homework. Merely do the homework first, you can't do anything until you finish your homework

The problem is that I never worry until I actually start doing said homework, lol. That's probably what allows me to do what I want for so long.
Have no regrets.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:12:37 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:10:57 AM, Opsianos wrote:

I personally don't believe in either. I don't think that not believing in any future is any better than having a dissatisfying one.

You can have a future while being a cynic. It's just probably one people aren't used to accepting.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:14:37 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:12:09 AM, Opsianos wrote:

The problem is that I never worry until I actually start doing said homework, lol. That's probably what allows me to do what I want for so long.

Just promise yourself to do your homework first. And stop playing video games unless you are playing them with friends, they are an unsubstantial use of time (unless you're trying to unstress)
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:18:10 AM

So in other words, start to become depressed, sociopathic, lazy, hedonist? No wonder you support a candidate that will feed you with stuff which more productive hard-working people worked for.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:18:20 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:14:37 AM, Hayd wrote:

Just promise yourself to do your homework first. And stop playing video games unless you are playing them with friends, they are an unsubstantial use of time (unless you're trying to unstress)

I'm not very good at keeping promises to myself, unfortunately. Also, said game has actually helped me somewhat with music, and I do need an outlet to relieve some stress. Perhaps I am playing too much, though.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:21:16 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:12:37 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 5/9/2016 4:10:57 AM, Opsianos wrote:

You can have a future while being a cynic. It's just probably one people aren't used to accepting.

Not a nihilist, I presume, based on its beliefs. I don't believe in most of cynicism's ideas, anyway.
Have no regrets.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:21:45 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:18:20 AM, Opsianos wrote:
At 5/9/2016 4:14:37 AM, Hayd wrote:

I'm not very good at keeping promises to myself, unfortunately. Also, said game has actually helped me somewhat with music, and I do need an outlet to relieve some stress. Perhaps I am playing too much, though.

That's a problem with video games for me too. I usually play world at war and they automatically add me into the next game and then I end up playing 20 games instead of 2
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:24:16 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:21:45 AM, Hayd wrote:
That's a problem with video games for me too. I usually play world at war and they automatically add me into the next game and then I end up playing 20 games instead of 2

I can relate. Still, there are worse and more pointless things we could do than playing video games, so I don't think it's too big of a problem.
Have no regrets.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:26:19 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:18:10 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

So in other words, start to become depressed, sociopathic, lazy, hedonist? No wonder you support a candidate that will feed you with stuff which more productive hard-working people worked for.

That's not appropriate at all.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:28:43 AM

That's not what cynicism and nihilism represent at all, and I'm really not sure what made you bring up the latter.
Have no regrets.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:29:24 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:26:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That's not appropriate at all.

great comeback, I give that 9 heil hitlers out of 10.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:30:43 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:28:43 AM, Opsianos wrote:

That's not what cynicism and nihilism represent at all, and I'm really not sure what made you bring up the latter.

Nihilism can be sugar coated, but it generally seems to have its links with being a really depressive ideology.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:30:51 AM

Don't even bother. I don't even know why I did with my response.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:37:12 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:30:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Nihilism can be sugar coated, but it generally seems to have its links with being a really depressive ideology.

It may seem depressing (and, personally, I do think it is somewhat), but nihilists mainly uphold this belief out of apathy, I believe.
Have no regrets.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:40:39 AM
At 5/9/2016 4:37:12 AM, Opsianos wrote:
At 5/9/2016 4:30:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

It may seem depressing (and, personally, I do think it is somewhat), but nihilists mainly uphold this belief out of apathy, I believe.

I don't see how apathy would lead to that. Apathy would be not caring, which would refer to people who generally don't have too strong beliefs on spiritual/religious things, and don't care. Nihilism is generally stating that life is meaningless, life is useless, we're all just accidents, etc. I'm not going to go around and make it my mission to convert nihilists, but Nihilists just don't seem like the most moral, happy, kind, or hard working people I've met.
EvanescentEfflorescence
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 6:31:25 AM
Realise that everything you do, no matter how hard and boring, helps you in the end. Education is all for you. It helps you progress. Imagine if you didn't do hard and boring stuff, like essays and maths. You would still be in elementary school.

Education is all about making you better.
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

No response:

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 12:42:33 PM

My first event of true procrastination on a project was in 5th grade, when we had to choose a book, read it, and make a paper on it. I read about half my book, got really bored of it, never finished it, and wrote a quick paper on what I'd read, plus what I knew would happen, the morning that it was due. I remember writing it in the parking lot in the back of my mom's car, telling her I was writing down a joke I thought of to tell my friends. XD

But I can agree with you. I often procrastinate on projects and other assignments, depending on the subject. At first, it wasn't too bad, but I've recently found that I've been procrastinating more and more on random things, and I think I found a few of the pinpoints: DDO, YouTube, and food.

Honestly, if I didn't use DDO, I'd probably finish my assignments twice as fast. If it weren't for hangouts, I'd finish three times as fast. If I didn't also spend so much time using youtube for videos instead of music, I'd finish a lot faster. If I didn't decide that I was bored and got up to grab a snack or a drink so often, I'd also finish faster.

Sometimes, I just have to close out of DDO, stop using YouTube on my laptop (use my phone for music), and focus on my work to actually get it done. I've had days where I could be done with my homework in twenty minutes, and sat there at my desk for five hours because I would do something, like a small portion of my homework, watch youtube (osu, music, other random videos), browse DDO (a lot), and whenever I'd try to get back to my work, I'd get bored and either continue DDO, youtube, or grab a snack.

My suggestions, though, would be to close out of DDO when you need to really work, turn away from your computer (except for something you need to use it for, like a digital paper or research, or whatever), listen to more quiet music (video game music is actually really good for this, since it's made to add to the game, but not intrude on the player's focus), maybe grab a snack, and work on an assignment. You can occasionally take a few minute break, but don't take that break every ten minutes, and then make the break last for half an hour.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya