Jump to topic:

GF of 4ish years, fiance of 2 just...

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:21:42 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
My girlfriend of around 4 years and fiance of around 2 just broke up with me...
I just need a place to let go at certain times right now, so creating this thread to do it...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:09:33 AM
At 5/10/2016 7:21:42 AM, SNP1 wrote:
I just need a place to let go at certain times right now, so creating this thread to do it...

Why must the universe have tensed facts to be created?
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:11:16 AM

I'll take you on god exists.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 1:42:58 PM

A thread where rents are sutured? Women suck, but then I'm a bitter old man with too many bad experiences.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 6:47:33 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that man. I once lost someone I loved dearly, someone I saw myself building a family with, and the heartache from the loss still leaves a small void in my heart. I only hope the same for you as I hope for myself, that someday you'll meet someone even better who will fill the gap left by the past.

For the short-term though, try to spend time with your friends and family. Get involved again in some of your favorite hobbies or go out and try new things altogether. My own heartbreak is what pushed me to start writing poetry, and after a few weeks of venting heavily with a pad and pen the pain did start to subside.

Just get back to your roots, remember that you are a strong individual with a life of your own to live. We're all here for you man, and always will be in times of need.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 6:55:37 PM

Sorry to hear that. That, I'm sure, is devastating for you.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:15:27 PM
I feel you
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:32:04 PM

I'm not even kidding but I've literally been through the same thing. Same time frame for the overall relationship, same time being engaged. Only difference was that the break up was mutual... kind of.

My advise would probably pissed off some tberapist, but here it is.

1. Come to terms with the fact that you will always love this person. It is very unlikely you will ever completely lose the love you've built, even if she did something horrible to you. Trying to convince yourself to hate the person won't ever fully work. Accept that, and accept the fact that new love will never replace what you invested in the old. As bad as that sounds it's not.

2. Turn off the light switch. I like to picture a little switch in my brain. It's the switch that let's your hurt. Believe it or not you have control over that switch. It will always hurt deep down... but you don't have to acknowledge that hurt. Just pretend it doesn't exist and don't give it power over you. Distract yourself from the pain. Find a new hobby, meet new people, try new things. You can numb the pain, and hide it even thiugh it's still there. This is flipping the switch off. If you had a leech permanently stuck to your arm causing you pain, you would eventually have to figure out how to live a happy life with that leech there. This is no different. Don't give yourself the opportunity to let that leech have more control over your life than it already has.

3. This one's for later down the line when your pain has mostly subsided. Let yourself move on. I'll admit I am still working on this one myself even after having been broke up for 2 years. But let yourself love someone else. You've invested 4 years of your life into one person. I'd be surprised if trying to love someone else is exactly the same. You will probably be critical of small things that are foreign to you about the person; how they communicate, the way they feel, the way they think. Learn to love these things and know that it doesn't have to feel the same as it did when you were in love the first time and that it likely never will. First love is the strongest (assuming this is indeed your first real love).

Nothing can hurt you the same way relationship wise, you now know the pain and will get experience different ways to lessen that pain. But cherish the pain because as your enemy, it only knows the ways to hurt you that you give it.

Who knows maybe all of this is too assumptive and she will miss you and come back to you. Either way, I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to contact me via PM any time and I am willing to listen and talk.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:59:57 PM
wait... hold up... wait...

that means you got engaged at 18

8 friggin teen

dude... you are sooooooo lucky

you have NO IDEA how huge a bullet you just dodged. Find someone of legal age to get you drunk without endangering your life, have a good cry, then go out and get laid by one of the 10 bazillion crazy single chicks out there your age.

Life... it's meant to live not sacrifice on the alter of false French romanticism.

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:14:54 PM

I'm very sympathetic to your current plight. I never lost such a long term relationship, but I did lose one that hurt. It will get better, but it will take a while.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 3:53:44 AM
At 5/10/2016 7:59:57 PM, SkyLeach wrote:

8 friggin teen

you have NO IDEA how huge a bullet you just dodged. Find someone of legal age to get you drunk without endangering your life, have a good cry, then go out and get laid by one of the 10 bazillion crazy single chicks out there your age.

Life... it's meant to live not sacrifice on the alter of false French romanticism.

Both of us have almost died countless times in our lives. We both figured that waiting too long for things was a bad idea with how often we both have faced death, so we moved up the timescale.

I also can't get drunk. I have too high of a tolerance. I once took the equivalent of 14 shots of everclear in 1.5 hours and only just started feeling the effects. Same type of tolerance to weed.

I'm also not into just fvcking people. I am the type that looks towards real connections, but with my life experience (beatings from my dad, almost dying a few times) and my undiagnosed (on an official scale, I have had it diagnosed unofficially) mental illness (borderline sociopath), it is really hard to get those connections.

And this is just a fraction of all the crap in my life.
So don't say I "dodged a bullet", you know nothing about my life.
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 3:55:11 AM
At 5/10/2016 11:11:16 AM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Fvck you.
Not the time or place.
Cvnt
#WarOnDDO
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 4:30:51 AM
At 5/11/2016 3:55:11 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/10/2016 11:11:16 AM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Fvck you.
Not the time or place.
Cvnt

Sorry, forum reply was the only way to contact you.

Would it help me saying that at least you had a girlfriend and that i don't think i will find love?

That is actually what i think.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 5:02:38 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. I lost a girlfriend through cancer. Our situations aren't quite as similar, but I can give you advice to cope.

Don't try to go through this alone. If you need to, talk to someone close to you, whether it be a family member, a friend, or even a therapist. They may not know your exact situation, but they can help you reach the point where you can accept your issue. You most likely won't fully recover, (people rarely do after this) but if you can get to the milestone of acceptance, then you will be much better.

You're a strong individual. Remember you! Remember your past, think of your present, and look towards the future. If you wallow in self pity then you won't go anywhere but down. You can get through this only if you remember who you were/are and stay grounded in reality.

Lastly, it's okay to feel sad. It's okay to cry. But if it gets to the point where you might consider seriously hurting yourself or others, please please PLEASE tell someone. It's for the best of you consider the mental state of yourself.

Remember, you can power through this. You weren't just a man in a relationship, you were and are your own person. You aren't reliant on your previous engagement. I sincerely hope you can take the advice given in this thread. Best of luck.

- Bailey
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 11:14:15 AM
At 5/11/2016 3:53:44 AM, SNP1 wrote:

8 friggin teen

Both of us have almost died countless times in our lives. We both figured that waiting too long for things was a bad idea with how often we both have faced death, so we moved up the timescale.

I also can't get drunk. I have too high of a tolerance. I once took the equivalent of 14 shots of everclear in 1.5 hours and only just started feeling the effects. Same type of tolerance to weed.

I'm also not into just fvcking people. I am the type that looks towards real connections, but with my life experience (beatings from my dad, almost dying a few times) and my undiagnosed (on an official scale, I have had it diagnosed unofficially) mental illness (borderline sociopath), it is really hard to get those connections.

Interesting. So you have some really good reasons for your bad decision... I'm shocked. No really, I am being totally sincere.

Quid Pro Quo, you know nothing of my life either. Don't make assumptions.

I said you dodged a bullet, and you did. I'm not going to give you any more really bad reasons to make really bad decisions.

Good for you wanting for form attachments rather than randomly get laid. It doesn't really fit with the whole 'sociopath' diagnosis, however. It sounds to me more like you're an introvert that craves attachment but, assuming your life history was truthful (and I do assume it was) has a severe issue with trust.

Well, take it from someone with a whole lot of experience: that's not a bad thing. Most kids get the opposite, they trust too much when young and have to learn the truth as they age.

Most people are intellectually lazy, self-centered, ignorant, impatient and cognitively biased. Right there are 5 statistical majorities that rule out 98% of the world's population as worthy of your trust.

Welcome to the human race, it's a bitch.

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 2:57:47 PM
At 5/11/2016 11:14:15 AM, SkyLeach wrote:

8 friggin teen

Interesting. So you have some really good reasons for your bad decision... I'm shocked. No really, I am being totally sincere.

I said you dodged a bullet, and you did. I'm not going to give you any more really bad reasons to make really bad decisions.

Good for you wanting for form attachments rather than randomly get laid. It doesn't really fit with the whole 'sociopath' diagnosis, however. It sounds to me more like you're an introvert that craves attachment but, assuming your life history was truthful (and I do assume it was) has a severe issue with trust.

Borderline sociopath.
It is kinda like multiple personality disorder where I am sometimes more sociopathic and sometime not so much.
The thing is, one who is a borderline sociopath can become a 100% sociopath depending on circumstances.

Well, take it from someone with a whole lot of experience: that's not a bad thing. Most kids get the opposite, they trust too much when young and have to learn the truth as they age.

Most people are intellectually lazy, self-centered, ignorant, impatient and cognitively biased. Right there are 5 statistical majorities that rule out 98% of the world's population as worthy of your trust.

#WarOnDDO
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 3:11:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear... I wish I could do more than to say just that. I hope things improve for you soon!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 3:25:24 PM
That's too bad for you.
Statistically, the average man will have a harder time than his girlfriend getting over the breakup, or at least in the long-term. So don't expect this to pass quickly, though I know this isn't encouraging at all.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 1:20:38 AM
At 5/11/2016 2:57:47 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 5/11/2016 11:14:15 AM, SkyLeach wrote:

8 friggin teen

Borderline sociopath.
It is kinda like multiple personality disorder where I am sometimes more sociopathic and sometime not so much.
The thing is, one who is a borderline sociopath can become a 100% sociopath depending on circumstances.

You sound more like an empath. No sociopath seeks personal attachment, to anything, whatsoever (Unless there is something to gain from such attachment). Empaths are often misdiagnosed (especially self-diagnosed) as sociopaths. You should look into it and see if you fit that bill better.

EvanescentEfflorescence
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 11:51:09 AM

This will read strangely, but remember all the dreadful things about being around her (e.g. any bad habits). If you can't think of any, picture her defecating on the toilet, or blowing her nose and having a giant goo slobber from her nose, or vomiting in the toilet bowl after a night out (with bits of carrot and green stuff coming out). Basically, anything gross -- it'll re-hardwire your feelings.

Worked for getting over my ex.
Free vote -- short read. I've spent well over 15 hours researching abortion in the past week, so there might be something there for you. I recommend reading Con's counter-arguments first to come to a quick decisions, but the choice is all yours:

http://www.debate.org...

The opponent didn't respond:

No response:

SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:11:16 PM
At 5/12/2016 11:51:09 AM, EvanescentEfflorescence wrote:

This will read strangely, but remember all the dreadful things about being around her (e.g. any bad habits). If you can't think of any, picture her defecating on the toilet, or blowing her nose and having a giant goo slobber from her nose, or vomiting in the toilet bowl after a night out (with bits of carrot and green stuff coming out). Basically, anything gross -- it'll re-hardwire your feelings.

Worked for getting over my ex.

humans are so gross

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 1:27:16 AM
Hmm, I've been there. It's going to suck. It's going to suck bad and there's no way to make it not suck, but eventually it will start sucking less, and even further still it will eventually stop sucking at all.

The only real advice I can give here is, whatever else you have going on in your life right now, be it work, school, or whatever, don't let it slip away from you. Eventually you're going to find someone else, you may or may not think you'll ever want to find someone else, but I'm telling you it'll happen sooner or later, and when it does it will be much easier to pick up and move on if you haven't let the other areas of your life atrophy in the meantime.

Stay strong.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 1:30:37 AM
At 5/14/2016 1:27:16 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Hmm, I've been there. It's going to suck. It's going to suck bad and there's no way to make it not suck, but eventually it will start sucking less, and even further still it will eventually stop sucking at all.

The only real advice I can give here is, whatever else you have going on in your life right now, be it work, school, other interpersonal relationships, or whatever, don't let it slip away from you. Eventually you're going to find someone else, you may or may not think you'll ever want to find someone else, but I'm telling you it'll happen sooner or later, and when it does it will be much easier to pick up and move on if you haven't let the other areas of your life atrophy in the meantime.

Stay strong.

Meant to add this in, too.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 2:02:40 AM
At 5/12/2016 1:20:38 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Borderline sociopath.

You sound more like an empath. No sociopath seeks personal attachment, to anything, whatsoever (Unless there is something to gain from such attachment). Empaths are often misdiagnosed (especially self-diagnosed) as sociopaths. You should look into it and see if you fit that bill better.

This is a mischaracterization. Not all sociopaths avoid personal attachment or create them solely for their own advancement. Also, "empaths" (assuming it serves as a diagnosis) are not similar to sociopaths.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 2:05:32 AM

That's rough....

God Bless and good luck finding your love in the world
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 2:48:41 AM
At 5/14/2016 2:02:40 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Borderline sociopath.

This is a mischaracterization. Not all sociopaths avoid personal attachment or create them solely for their own advancement.

He stated that he is "the type that looks towards real connections". This is not a trait sociopaths have, borderline or not. The DSM-5 does state, "Many sociopaths are able to form an attachment to a particular individual or group, although they have no regard for society in general or its rules." So sure, they *can* form attachments, but the question then becomes *why* (you'll note how I included the stipulation, in my original comment, that it'd be for selfish reasons if they did). I do not believe sociopaths form attachments except for instances in which they have something to gain. If you wish to claim otherwise, please provide evidence supporting your claim.

Also, "empaths" (assuming it serves as a diagnosis) are not similar to sociopaths.

Empaths are very good at shutting down emotionally, seeming cold to others when in reality it's just a defense mechanism because they, in fact, feel way more than they can, or would like to, handle. When they shut down, they do seem similar to sociopaths regardless of if they truly *are* similar or not. I certainly agree that they aren't similar, but I've seen several cases where empaths, who've learned to shut down, misdiagnose themselves as sociopaths - which is what I believe the case is here. Am I wrong? Sure, could be.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 3:36:42 AM
At 5/14/2016 2:48:41 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/14/2016 2:02:40 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Borderline sociopath.

This is a mischaracterization. Not all sociopaths avoid personal attachment or create them solely for their own advancement.

He stated that he is "the type that looks towards real connections". This is not a trait sociopaths have, borderline or not.

I'm not making any claims about whether the OP is a sociopath.

The DSM-5 does state, "Many sociopaths are able to form an attachment to a particular individual or group, although they have no regard for society in general or its rules." So sure, they *can* form attachments, but the question then becomes *why* (you'll note how I included the stipulation, in my original comment, that it'd be for selfish reasons if they did). I do not believe sociopaths form attachments except for instances in which they have something to gain. If you wish to claim otherwise, please provide evidence supporting your claim.

Your belief more accurately describes psychopathy. Sociopathy does not necessarily involve self-serving attachments, especially for individuals rather than 'society' as a larger, more abstract construct (note how your quote differentiates the two). You'll also note that the DSM diagnosis criteria includes the presentation of a subset of antisocial behaviors, not all of which include the attitude you describe. You may also want to consider that personality disorders present on a spectrum of severity; as self-serving attachments are neither necessary nor sufficient for a diagnosis of sociopathy, your initial sweeping statement could not be accurate.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 4:39:21 AM
Did they break up with you once they found out about each other?
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...