Jump to topic:

What do you do when you're mad?

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 8:40:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
The angry mad, mind you, not the crazy mad (although the latter still makes sense).

So, as the topic says, how do you release your anger? On objects, on animals, on people, on SJW's (please, they're not people), on yourself, through sex (this applies to the people category, but I find this idea entertaining enough to be on its own)? If they seem appealing or interesting enough, perhaps others will take up on your method, and perhaps others will question what little sanity you have because of it.

I often run when I'm angry or frustrated; it's nice to run away from some problems for just a little while until you've cooled down enough to return and deal with them. If someone makes me mad, I say or do something to piss them off just as much (because I'm petty like that). What I really, really want, though, is a punching bag. I think that sometimes I would be there until my knuckles bleed.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 8:42:39 PM
Or, if it probably won't be healthy for me to snap back at people, I would walk away like a sane person.

I would be plotting their gruesome and everlasting deaths the whole time, though.
Have no regrets.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:22:08 AM
When I'm mad I usually ask myself why and go from there. Sometimes I meditate. Recently I've learned that I'm more likely to eat when I'm mad, but that's probably true anytime I'm agitated, including being bored.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 3:48:12 AM
At 5/10/2016 8:40:29 PM, Opsianos wrote:
The angry mad, mind you, not the crazy mad (although the latter still makes sense).

So, as the topic says, how do you release your anger? On objects, on animals, on people, on SJW's (please, they're not people), on yourself, through sex (this applies to the people category, but I find this idea entertaining enough to be on its own)? If they seem appealing or interesting enough, perhaps others will take up on your method, and perhaps others will question what little sanity you have because of it.

I often run when I'm angry or frustrated; it's nice to run away from some problems for just a little while until you've cooled down enough to return and deal with them. If someone makes me mad, I say or do something to piss them off just as much (because I'm petty like that). What I really, really want, though, is a punching bag. I think that sometimes I would be there until my knuckles bleed.

Kill
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 5:41:07 AM

In many ways, my tone on DDO generally comes across as more aggressive than I'm actually feeling, and I preface my answer with that statement so that you understand that sometimes it's hard to distinguish when I'm mad versus when I'm not when you think about what I'm about to tell you.

So, as the topic says, how do you release your anger?

It depends on what made me angry, and who made me angry. If it's someone that does not exist in an authority position over me or on whom I will not need to rely in the future, I tend to be pretty blunt about how I feel about them. Especially bad service.

Here's an example: I eat out a lot, and I expect perfection. Short of that, and I'm going to have an issue (which is in many respects why I tend to only eat at a few places where they know me and where they constantly meet my standards; so far, only two steak houses, three Japanese restaurants, one Chipotle, two fast-casual places--sort of like Chipotle--a few American or Italian places, and five Middle Eastern places have met that requirement. I have yet to find a decent Mexican place outside of Texas, or a decent Chinese place outside of Boston. Indian places... some are good, others are not. I do not like Thai, Korean, Malay, Indonesian, etc. food. Frankly, I'm not even that crazy about Chinese food anymore. Used to love it, but it occurs to me that if every Chinese place I eat at isn't up to par, maybe it's me. (I don't think it is... but it could be.) I am very picky, because my idea is that if I can cook better than the restaurant, why the hell am I going to the restaurant?

As a rule, though... Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food are what I like most.

The food must be clean, and cooked exactly as I ordered it. With steak this is especially hard, because the way I eat it is different than the way that most people do (hard sear on the outside, cool red center on the inside). It's a cooking time of about 45 seconds in a proper broiler, on each side. Point is that if this isn't done right, I'm going to be unhappy.

The food must use high quality ingredients, which is why I literally will not eat at places that cut corners.

The servers must be professional, and the atmosphere must not be unduly pretentious. I want my water glass filled at all times, and whatever other drink I have (usually beer or wine) properly attended as well. I'm also really picky about beer. German, Czech, Mexican, Japanese, Lebanese, and some American craft brews are all I will drink; and I will not drink otherwise. (Except one Italian beer.) I've walked out of restaurants because their beer options were insufficient.

So... I lay that out for you to realize how hard to please I am. (Actually, the level of detail with which I care about food is almost like Hannibal Lectar.)

Now.........

If a server screws up and it's clear that they're just learning how to be a server, I'll just talk to them about it. But I know that people learn, and sometimes they have bad nights, etc. That kind of thing doesn't bother me.

But if I'm eating Italian food (and I am especially hard to please in Italian places), and the pasta isn't cooked correctly (i.e. it's not al dente), or some aspect of some dish is off... I'll send it back. I didn't used to be like that, but now... I am. There are places I've sent dishes back to twice and three times.

I've even gone so far as to chastise a chef for failing in his capacities, suggesting that he sue his culinary school for failing to teach him anything.... that kind of stuff.

One time when I was with my family I did that just to irritate my family, though. The food was horrible (as I knew it would be, because I knew this place was horrible, but the more tasteless members of my family wanted to go there).

So we go, we sit, we're waited on and I order a very simple dish. It was horrible. So horrible I didn't even eat the first bite I put in my mouth (I was 22 when this happened). I spit it back onto the plate, and summoned the waiter. Told him to get the manager, and asked the manager to bring the chef who prepared my meal to the tableside.

I suggested that they pull up chairs, and pay attention. Perhaps take notes, because they were going to learn how to prepare this dish so that they didn't screw it up. And I did. The chef got defiant with me, and I suggested that I wouldn't even feed what he put on my plate to a stray animal, much less even my dog.

Every meal on our ticket was comped, but that wasn't the point. It never is, because my concern is correcting the mistake (i.e. getting the "chef" to not suck at his job). Comping the meal just takes the sting out. Oh, and I chose the restaurant every time now. Every. Single. Time. No one has ever complained (nor will they).

But that's how I might react to getting bad food. It's kind of neurotic, but I don't care. I'm kind of neurotic about food.

On objects, on animals, on people, on SJW's (please, they're not people), on yourself, through sex (this applies to the people category, but I find this idea entertaining enough to be on its own)? If they seem appealing or interesting enough, perhaps others will take up on your method, and perhaps others will question what little sanity you have because of it.

SJW's don't make me angry, they just disappoint and disgust me.

Confronting the situation will always make you feel better than letting it smolder. Don't let the sun set on anger. Here's something to think about.

Suppose you've had your hand bitten by a dog. What's your reaction? To pull away. What happens when you pull away? Dog bites down harder. What are you to do? Don't pull away, obviously. But that hurts? Stick your fingers down the dog's throat and make it gag, which will cause the dog to release your hands. Do that and you'll just have a piercing, and no tearing of the skin. Pull away and you might need stitches.

Same with sharks. What's the first thing you try to do if bitten by a shark? Try to shake yourself out, obviously. What's that going to do? Shark is going to tear your body to pieces. What should you do? Punch the shark in the nose/face. Why? Makes the shark let go. (Or, the better option is to have a certain kind of knife that forces compressed air into the shark that kills it and makes it float away.).

Same with pain or anger in all forms. If you pull away from it... it's going to hurt more. If you face it down, you'll feel better, and it will let go of you.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 5:43:06 AM
At 5/10/2016 8:42:39 PM, Opsianos wrote:
Or, if it probably won't be healthy for me to snap back at people, I would walk away like a sane person.

I would be plotting their gruesome and everlasting deaths the whole time, though.

You've got to be careful about how you "snap" at people, if you're going to do that. Some people can shake that off, but others harbor that bitterness for ages. They go on and on and let their hatred of you smolder. So be careful.

What you should do is just face down the causes, and address them for what they are, as they are, to the extent that they merit your attention and time.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 11:46:19 AM
I have a 100lb heavybag, so if I need to blow off steam I go practice my boxing.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:13:59 PM
At 5/12/2016 11:46:19 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I have a 100lb heavybag, so if I need to blow off steam I go practice my boxing.
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:40:46 PM

I'm easily annoyed, but it's very rare that I'll actually get angry/mad. When I do though, I usually listen to some music until I calm down, and I usually calm down very quick.

Being the super forgiving, difficult to anger person that I am, I cool off quick. I can get very angry about something, and depending on what it is, I'll probably calm down within 5 minutes and be perfectly fine.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:42:58 PM
But if I'm angry at osu, you can bet my keyboard will feel the wrath, and the restart/retry button will feel violated, and my cursor will get motion sickness.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:51:58 PM

Before I start keep in mind I'm a pretty big guy.

I do a few things depending on the situation and everything. I go into "Shut Down Mode", everything short of basic motor functions will turn off. Nothing will get me out of this stage for several hours, muscle memory takes me to a spot that it knows my body will remain safe.

Alternatively I go into "Aggressive Mode" which is basically a don't f uck with me look. Tend to have a lot of yelling involved. Some primitive thoughts involved, very basic caveman style thoughts.

If provoked enough while in "Aggressive Mode" or if I really don't like you/what you're doing I'll go into full "Attack Mode". I personally can't tell you much about this one as I usually black out at this point. I get really violent towards almost anyone, only three people have been able to snap me out of it. Anyone else who has tried has gotten mercilessly beat.
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:52:49 PM
At 5/12/2016 12:42:58 PM, Vaarka wrote:
But if I'm angry at osu, you can bet my keyboard will feel the wrath, and the restart/retry button will feel violated, and my cursor will get motion sickness.

Amen to that!
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:57:02 PM
At 5/12/2016 12:51:58 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

I do a few things depending on the situation and everything. I go into "Shut Down Mode", everything short of basic motor functions will turn off. Nothing will get me out of this stage for several hours, muscle memory takes me to a spot that it knows my body will remain safe.

Alternatively I go into "Aggressive Mode" which is basically a don't f uck with me look. Tend to have a lot of yelling involved. Some primitive thoughts involved, very basic caveman style thoughts.

If provoked enough while in "Aggressive Mode" or if I really don't like you/what you're doing I'll go into full "Attack Mode". I personally can't tell you much about this one as I usually black out at this point. I get really violent towards almost anyone, only three people have been able to snap me out of it. Anyone else who has tried has gotten mercilessly beat.

Do you think I could snap you out of it with a big hug, or would you beat the crap out of me (though I doubt I'd be the cause of it).

Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 12:58:01 PM
At 5/12/2016 12:57:02 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 5/12/2016 12:51:58 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Do you think I could snap you out of it with a big hug, or would you beat the crap out of me (though I doubt I'd be the cause of it).

I honestly doubt it
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
21MolonLabe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:01:26 PM
In no particular order:
1) Listen to music.
2) Start arguments with others.
3) Write argument and persuasive papers.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 5:24:54 PM

I plot vengeance, lol, and sometimes I carry it out. But first I try to detach myself from the anger to see if I'm not the one at fault.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Carolean_Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 7:02:12 PM

I usually fantasize that I'm killing them in cruel and unusual ways, then try and find a place to cool off with a funny video or some Claude Debussy.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 7:26:31 PM
Wow, I wouldn't like to see any of you mad, lol.

Except Vaarka, because I think he could calm down over anything if someone gives him one hug.
Have no regrets.
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 4:33:04 AM
I get very violent with my cooking. I add excess salt, and basically just dump everything around because I'm pissed. Afterwards, I regret how it actually taste like sh!t and end up feeling even more worse. Solving anger highly depends on how I read new materials and how I acquire new levels of knowledge (books, journals, authors, users etc etc). Most people's analytical abilities of various theories seem to have a very calming effect, because I lack most of those in that field. I'm sorta asexual but I do get flustered when someone makes too much sexual jokes, it's too repetitive to be insightful. You might think that sex can be novelized in so many ways but as an asexual, I fail to see that. To me, it's just you and your partner in various position and ramming each other into oblivion. Doesn't seem pleasant to me.
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 4:34:37 AM
At 5/14/2016 4:33:04 AM, Nivek wrote:
I get very violent with my cooking. I add excess salt, and basically just dump everything around because I'm pissed. Afterwards, I regret how it actually taste like sh!t and end up feeling even more worse. Solving anger highly depends on how I read new materials and how I acquire new levels of knowledge (books, journals, authors, users etc etc). Most people's analytical abilities of various theories seem to have a very calming effect, because I lack most of those in that field. I'm sorta asexual but I do get flustered when someone makes too much sexual jokes, it's too repetitive to be insightful. You might think that sex can be novelized in so many ways but as an asexual, I fail to see that. To me, it's just you and your partner in various position and ramming each other into oblivion. Doesn't seem pleasant to me.

Not just cooking. Any domestic work, be it vacuuming or cleaning the curtains or baking cake, I do so very violently. Thank God I live alone.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2016 4:51:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/10/2016 3:34:30 AM, Opsianos wrote:
Bump since I could really use this right now.

I typically just think really violent thoughts for an hour or two. But that isn't healthy.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2016 2:06:29 PM
At 6/10/2016 4:51:18 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I typically just think really violent thoughts for an hour or two. But that isn't healthy.

I don't think that's going to help me, lol.

I take back what I said because I'm suddenly in a good mood (which I wasn't in for quite a while now) for whatever reason I can't explain today. Not complaining, though.
Have no regrets.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2016 3:06:07 PM
At 6/10/2016 2:06:29 PM, Opsianos wrote:
At 6/10/2016 4:51:18 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I don't think that's going to help me, lol.

I didn't say that it would.

I take back what I said because I'm suddenly in a good mood (which I wasn't in for quite a while now) for whatever reason I can't explain today. Not complaining, though.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 12:10:41 AM
This is going to sound girly, but no better a way to cope with being frazzled than to take a tip from the ones pms'ing all the time, and take what's upsetting to the crisis of the moment, and drown it with gorges of chocolate. Just throw manners to the side and slosh a bucket of chocolate down as quickly as possible, and you'll be feeling cloud 9 in no time.

This advice is not responsible for any side effects, such as depression from fatness, or pimpled social isolation.