Jump to topic:

"Partial" Hospitalization -- Mental Health

Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 6:25:23 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
If you recognize who I am it's because you know that I'm that a**hole from mafia that doesn't play the way you do. If not, Hi, I'm Cobalt.

So in the past few months I've been dealing with what I'll describe as "generalized depression and anxiety" with "no apparent trigger(s) for the anxiety attacks". My family doctor is a D.O. with little experience in mental health who has had me on an extremely low dose of an SSRI and no anti-anxiety medication for a while. He refuses to change my meds. This is just for context -- I'm not asking for a medical opinion.

I've been spiraling -- the last month in particular. I've been self-medicating with alcohol and opiates, though I've stopped the latter. The issue is that there are no psychiatrists in my area that see patients on a purely out-patient basis, period. Literally zero. I'd have to drive more than two hours to see one and I'm not in the financial position to do that.

I have found a local program which calls itself "partial hospitalization", which basically means that 3-5 days a week you go to the center for 6 hours where you'll do...whatever it is they have you do. The biggest perk is that you get direct access to a psychiatrist.

My question is -- has anyone here done anything like this? Have you done a similar program and, if so, did it work for you? Does getting to meet with a psychiatrist on a one-to-one basis help you and would a program like this be worth it, or is it a terrible idea? I'm already signed up and committed to it, but I just want to know if anyone has gone through anything similar so I can know what to expect.

I know this is a difficult issue to talk about for some people, but I could really use any helpful input.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 6:47:42 AM
At 5/12/2016 6:25:23 AM, Cobalt wrote:
If you recognize who I am it's because you know that I'm that a**hole from mafia that doesn't play the way you do. If not, Hi, I'm Cobalt.

So in the past few months I've been dealing with what I'll describe as "generalized depression and anxiety" with "no apparent trigger(s) for the anxiety attacks". My family doctor is a D.O. with little experience in mental health who has had me on an extremely low dose of an SSRI and no anti-anxiety medication for a while. He refuses to change my meds. This is just for context -- I'm not asking for a medical opinion.

I've been spiraling -- the last month in particular. I've been self-medicating with alcohol and opiates, though I've stopped the latter. The issue is that there are no psychiatrists in my area that see patients on a purely out-patient basis, period. Literally zero. I'd have to drive more than two hours to see one and I'm not in the financial position to do that.

I have found a local program which calls itself "partial hospitalization", which basically means that 3-5 days a week you go to the center for 6 hours where you'll do...whatever it is they have you do. The biggest perk is that you get direct access to a psychiatrist.

My question is -- has anyone here done anything like this? Have you done a similar program and, if so, did it work for you? Does getting to meet with a psychiatrist on a one-to-one basis help you and would a program like this be worth it, or is it a terrible idea? I'm already signed up and committed to it, but I just want to know if anyone has gone through anything similar so I can know what to expect.

I know this is a difficult issue to talk about for some people, but I could really use any helpful input.

Partial hospitalization, also known as intensive outpatient, is about 3-4 times a week for several hours long. It's still done outside the hospital and you still get to go home. It's used for relapse prevention.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 10:22:28 PM

I have had depression and anxiety my whole life. Medicated and self medicated to try to deal with it.

I'm 45 now and here is the best piece of advice anyone could give....try using marijuana as a mental health medicine before you try anything else. Prescription meds (including SSRIs) and alcohol will F your S up!
Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 10:27:52 PM
At 5/14/2016 10:22:28 PM, matt8800 wrote:

I have had depression and anxiety my whole life. Medicated and self medicated to try to deal with it.

I'm 45 now and here is the best piece of advice anyone could give....try using marijuana as a mental health medicine before you try anything else. Prescription meds (including SSRIs) and alcohol will F your S up!

I have been on meds a while now, but they don't really seem to do anything for me. They aren't messing with my mind, which is good -- but they aren't fixing any of my problems either.

I actually have tried marijuana (on a purely medical basis, of course) and it triggers my anxiety every time. :/
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 10:54:08 PM

I am totally unfamiliar with any program like that, but I am terribly sorry to hear about what you've been through.
Tsar of DDO
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 10:55:13 PM

Study cognitive behavioral therapy techniques on your own. Also look up mindfulness practices and do physical exercise. Those have been effective for some and you don't need to see a therapist for it. I don't really have access to medical care and those are what I have to use, it makes things somewhat better.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Cobalt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 12:06:27 AM
At 5/14/2016 10:55:13 PM, n7 wrote:

Study cognitive behavioral therapy techniques on your own. Also look up mindfulness practices and do physical exercise. Those have been effective for some and you don't need to see a therapist for it. I don't really have access to medical care and those are what I have to use, it makes things somewhat better.

Thanks. I actually went to the first day last Friday and it seems to be exactly that -- 5 hours of CBT while a psychiatrist manages the meds. The very first thing they told me was that I needed to start exercising, as that apparently helps regulate mood very well. So I'll see how it goes.