Jump to topic:

Starting a debate team at my school

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 9:20:12 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I had an eventful day on Friday. I had some scheduling issues for my sophmore year to work out, and I followed that up by running the idea of forming a debate team at my high school.

I go to a somewhat small high school in New Jersey, and they haven't had a debate team in years. I was told that I'd need a teacher sponsor for it - and I shouldn't have any trouble with that. But for the members here who have done debate before, do you have any advice on how I should go about this and what else I'd need?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 9:50:54 PM
At 5/16/2016 9:20:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I had an eventful day on Friday. I had some scheduling issues for my sophmore year to work out, and I followed that up by running the idea of forming a debate team at my high school.

I go to a somewhat small high school in New Jersey, and they haven't had a debate team in years. I was told that I'd need a teacher sponsor for it - and I shouldn't have any trouble with that. But for the members here who have done debate before, do you have any advice on how I should go about this and what else I'd need?

Make fliers that detail exactly what's going on and how to do it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:09:45 PM

Same exact thing happened to me. I just confronted the smartest people I know and convicted them to join. Make sure the first debate you do as a class is lit
SoulTechNameIII
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 9:22:42 PM

Also your going to want to look up the state led forensic lead in your area. Mark the tournaments down, and have lot's of practice. I would recommend having your team debate on a subject 1 time a week in random teams to begin. I would also recommend an outside of school chat source like Discord be setup for the members to chat and debate whenever.