Jump to topic:

How do you study?

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:07:48 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I'm sure there's been threads on this before, but I'm way too lazy to go look for it, so I decided to make a new one :D

People study in different ways (obviously), and some people find one thing effective, while other people have to try other methods. So how do you guys study for tests or exams (assuming you study at all)?

I've found that when I study, I pick up and remember more information when I'm walking around, even if it's just around the kitchen table or a chair or something. Why is this? Because I can't sit still. I have to be doing something, so when I try to sit down at a desk and study, no matter what methods I use (flash cards, covering the answers, getting other people to say a part and I'd say the other part, etc), I get so easily distracted because I'm not doing anything, so next thing I know, I'm tapping to my music, playing with my pencil, drawing something random, reading DDO threads, etc. If I can do anything that requires movement or energy while studying, it helps. Something like reading my notes out loud helps, reading my notes while walking around helps, etc etc.

And yes, I've tried to incorporate this into writing down notes on flash cards since that's technically doing something, but I'm just sitting there writing stuff down, so I often get distracted and take way too long to write stuff down.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:15:46 PM
I put the book on my forehead while I'm sleeping and learn by assimilation.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:16:21 PM
At 5/20/2016 1:15:46 PM, Valkrin wrote:

Man, put it under your pillow. Don't you know direct skin contact can give you skin cancer?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:16:54 PM
At 5/20/2016 1:16:21 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Man, put it under your pillow. Don't you know direct skin contact can give you skin cancer?

But then the assimilation pattern experiences interference and the facts get messed up.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:17:44 PM
At 5/20/2016 1:16:54 PM, Valkrin wrote:

But then the assimilation pattern experiences interference and the facts get messed up.

Then at least put a clothe over your face so there's a little bit of protection, but it's not enough to mess up the assimilation pattern.

Valkrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:18:20 PM
At 5/20/2016 1:17:44 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Then at least put a clothe over your face so there's a little bit of protection, but it's not enough to mess up the assimilation pattern.

Any interference is interference pal.
You wouldn't know because you're not good enough at assimilation like I am.
Lameo.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 1:20:20 PM
At 5/20/2016 1:18:20 PM, Valkrin wrote:
At 5/20/2016 1:17:44 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Any interference is interference pal.
You wouldn't know because you're not good enough at assimilation like I am.
Lameo.

You could also try to use something less harmful. I hear that putting a clothe over your face, but not your mouth works if you put a spoon under your tongue. It apparently redirects the assimilation pattern codes back into your brain, but grounds the harmful cells that form as a result.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:24:09 PM

I don't think that's how that works.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:24:41 PM
At 5/20/2016 1:07:48 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Music, a lot of music. I tend to retain a lot of knowledge so studying isn't that much of an issue for me.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:51:06 PM
At 5/20/2016 4:24:41 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Music, a lot of music. I tend to retain a lot of knowledge so studying isn't that much of an issue for me.

Music <3

ballpit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:01:16 PM
What is studying? Joking aside I study by not studying and paying attention in class sometimes.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
New Members Read Me:
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:05:42 PM
I'm sure there's been threads on this before, but I'm way too lazy to go look for it, so I decided to make a new one :D

People study in different ways (obviously), and some people find one thing effective, while other people have to try other methods. So how do you guys study for tests or exams (assuming you study at all)?

I've found that when I study, I pick up and remember more information when I'm walking around, even if it's just around the kitchen table or a chair or something. Why is this? Because I can't sit still. I have to be doing something, so when I try to sit down at a desk and study, no matter what methods I use (flash cards, covering the answers, getting other people to say a part and I'd say the other part, etc), I get so easily distracted because I'm not doing anything, so next thing I know, I'm tapping to my music, playing with my pencil, drawing something random, reading DDO threads, etc. If I can do anything that requires movement or energy while studying, it helps. Something like reading my notes out loud helps, reading my notes while walking around helps, etc etc.

And yes, I've tried to incorporate this into writing down notes on flash cards since that's technically doing something, but I'm just sitting there writing stuff down, so I often get distracted and take way too long to write stuff down.

Because I am lazy, I just look at my paper, take a huge break, and look at it again hours later to test my memory. It works well, and it saves a lot of time too. It's better than cramming the whole night.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:16:00 PM

Join the hangout tonight and I'll tell you how to study to maximize effectiveness and efficiency.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:16:24 PM
At 5/20/2016 6:05:42 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Because I am lazy, I just look at my paper, take a huge break, and look at it again hours later to test my memory. It works well, and it saves a lot of time too. It's better than cramming the whole night.

You too. Join the hangout tonight and we can talk about studying.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:50:19 PM
I cram. I rarely study more than an hour for any test.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:52:33 PM
At 5/20/2016 11:16:00 PM, YYW wrote:

Join the hangout tonight and I'll tell you how to study to maximize effectiveness and efficiency.

Aight.

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 11:59:05 PM
At 5/20/2016 11:16:00 PM, YYW wrote:

http://i.imgur.com...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:08:15 AM
I cry
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 3:05:56 AM
Managing one's psychology is the most important aspect of studying well. Think about when you're reading things for pleasure; they're etched into your brain without even needing to try. That's the state of mind I aim for with studying.

The problem is that people tend to get stressed out when they have an exam coming up, so they aren't quite able to get into that focused mode where everything's easy. It also fvcks up your confidence, so you tend to start doing more work than necessary, because you're afraid. Efficiency is lost.

To avoid that, there's lots of things to do. I go to the gym, I meditate, I drink a beer, I engage in some BDSM, the basics. That keeps me focused, at which point I'm able to simply read through the information, process it, and thus memorize it. The other stuff -- like whether you listen to music, or all the other bullsh!t -- is pretty much irrelevant, if you take care of your psychology.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 3:06:56 AM
I've found that when I study, I pick up and remember more information when I'm walking around, even if it's just around the kitchen table or a chair or something. Why is this? Because I can't sit still.

It helps manage your psychology. That's the key.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 4:11:51 AM
It's often easiest to study mathematical subjects such as chemistry, physics, and mathematics by doing practice problems, while it's easiest to practice non-mathematically based subjects by explaining it to someone else so it sticks in your memory.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:46:30 PM
At 5/21/2016 4:11:51 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
It's often easiest to study mathematical subjects such as chemistry, physics, and mathematics by doing practice problems, while it's easiest to practice non-mathematically based subjects by explaining it to someone else so it sticks in your memory.

Thank you X3

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 4:11:52 PM
At 5/21/2016 1:46:30 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Thank you X3

Sure thing. Of course, best thing to do is listen in class :D
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 7:25:29 PM
I meant to go back in the hangout last night and tell you guys how to study, but I got drunk and was in another hangout with another member instead. Sorry. Alas, here's how to not to study, and then how to study effectively.

What not to do is cram. Cramming is stupid, and even if you may retain some things in your working memory, you won't remember what you learned even two days after you've done all that work. So, you have wasted your efforts. Wasting efforts is stupid. Don't be stupid.

Another thing not to do is just read over sh!t you've read, and then read it again. That's usually how people cram, and it's also stupid. Like, incredibly stupid because it gives you the illusion of comprehension when in reality you don't understand what you've learned. So, you will study and study and study... making no progress in the way of learning, but while at the same time thinking you have learned. So don't do that either.

What you have to do to is a few things:

1. Read whatever you're reading with the intent to conceptually understand it. Basically, you want to be able to get to a point where you understand what you read so well you could explain it with simple language to someone else, with perfect accuracy. This is not skimming or speed reading. It's really taking the time to slow down, and digest intellectually what you've read. Reading like this takes more time than other kinds of reading, but it's an investment that will pay off.

2. Once you've read, you have to test yourself. Once you "get" a concept, ask yourself how comprehension of that concept would be tested in a short answer question (i.e. question requiring about 3-4 sentences to answer). Write that question out, and put it aside. Make a list of such questions. Then go back after two days or so, and test yourself with that list. Go back and compare what you wrote to what you read that helped you create the question. Then, grade yourself. Did you pass? Be sure that you do.

3. As you're writing questions, associate what you're reading with other stuff that you have learned in the course, and in real life. Organize information in a format that makes sense to you; I like graphs, matrixes, flow charts, outlines, etc. What you want to do is start out with the more general concept, then organize the information you learned about that concept beneath it, such that concepts are organized in relation to one another. Then, associate that universe of knowledge with stuff you already know, so that you can put it in the bigger picture to understand its overall significance.

4. Go back and repeatedly test yourself, over and over again, even if you know you know the right answer, to the questions you've already formed. Then grade yourself, and be honest about it.

Do this once or twice a week, and you'll be well on your way to reaching the top of your class.

NOTE: Cramming works when you're in a class with other stupid people, and in no other context. If everybody is cramming (and many stupid high school and college students do), and that's all they're doing, then the standard (mainly due to grade inflation and how professors and teachers subconsciously curve up when an entire body of students studies with the bad habits of cramming, etc.) for what counts for good work is lowered, because everyone is screwing up. In my undergraduate courses, graduate courses, and with what I'm doing now, this is how I study, and it is how all very successful students study. Anyone who says that cramming works for them is either stupid or a liar, because cramming doesn't work for anyone, because the human brain is not wired to work that way.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 8:06:17 PM
At 5/21/2016 7:25:29 PM, YYW wrote:
I meant to go back in the hangout last night and tell you guys how to study, but I got drunk and was in another hangout with another member instead. Sorry. Alas, here's how to not to study, and then how to study effectively.

What not to do is cram. Cramming is stupid, and even if you may retain some things in your working memory, you won't remember what you learned even two days after you've done all that work. So, you have wasted your efforts. Wasting efforts is stupid. Don't be stupid.

Another thing not to do is just read over sh!t you've read, and then read it again. That's usually how people cram, and it's also stupid. Like, incredibly stupid because it gives you the illusion of comprehension when in reality you don't understand what you've learned. So, you will study and study and study... making no progress in the way of learning, but while at the same time thinking you have learned. So don't do that either.

What you have to do to is a few things:

1. Read whatever you're reading with the intent to conceptually understand it. Basically, you want to be able to get to a point where you understand what you read so well you could explain it with simple language to someone else, with perfect accuracy. This is not skimming or speed reading. It's really taking the time to slow down, and digest intellectually what you've read. Reading like this takes more time than other kinds of reading, but it's an investment that will pay off.

2. Once you've read, you have to test yourself. Once you "get" a concept, ask yourself how comprehension of that concept would be tested in a short answer question (i.e. question requiring about 3-4 sentences to answer). Write that question out, and put it aside. Make a list of such questions. Then go back after two days or so, and test yourself with that list. Go back and compare what you wrote to what you read that helped you create the question. Then, grade yourself. Did you pass? Be sure that you do.

3. As you're writing questions, associate what you're reading with other stuff that you have learned in the course, and in real life. Organize information in a format that makes sense to you; I like graphs, matrixes, flow charts, outlines, etc. What you want to do is start out with the more general concept, then organize the information you learned about that concept beneath it, such that concepts are organized in relation to one another. Then, associate that universe of knowledge with stuff you already know, so that you can put it in the bigger picture to understand its overall significance.

4. Go back and repeatedly test yourself, over and over again, even if you know you know the right answer, to the questions you've already formed. Then grade yourself, and be honest about it.

Do this once or twice a week, and you'll be well on your way to reaching the top of your class.

NOTE: Cramming works when you're in a class with other stupid people, and in no other context. If everybody is cramming (and many stupid high school and college students do), and that's all they're doing, then the standard (mainly due to grade inflation and how professors and teachers subconsciously curve up when an entire body of students studies with the bad habits of cramming, etc.) for what counts for good work is lowered, because everyone is screwing up. In my undergraduate courses, graduate courses, and with what I'm doing now, this is how I study, and it is how all very successful students study. Anyone who says that cramming works for them is either stupid or a liar, because cramming doesn't work for anyone, because the human brain is not wired to work that way.

Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:26:40 AM

Thank you X3

Re-do your homework. Try to get hold of last year's tests from older students.
That's how the science students do.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 12:35:39 PM
At 5/22/2016 9:26:40 AM, Fkkize wrote:

Thank you X3

Re-do your homework. Try to get hold of last year's tests from older students.
That's how the science students do.

My science teacher last year told us to study the tests because he just c/p'd stuff from them and put them on the exam

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 12:57:34 PM

I don't.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k