Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Question about assisted suicide

Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:25:26 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
No.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:28:23 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
If he has a terminal illness and is going to for sure die soon, then yes. But if he might be able to live out another fairly pleasant year of life, no.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:29:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:25:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No.

Why not?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:30:44 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:28:23 PM, Hayd wrote:
If he has a terminal illness and is going to for sure die soon, then yes. But if he might be able to live out another fairly pleasant year of life, no.

If he asked you to kill him, what makes you think he'd have a pleasant year ahead of him? Wouldn't the very act of even asking that question imply he's not content with living anymore?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:31:10 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:28:57 PM, Hayd wrote:
You also have to think, if I don't do it for him will he do it himself anyways?

That's a good point.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:39:36 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

If he was of sound mind, and his condition was deteriorating and seemingly hopeless, then yes, if I would not be penalized.

I would especially do this because both of my grandfathers are between 75 and 85 years old. It will be heartbreaking but not tragic when they die.

But I would apply the same logic and consideration to anyone at any age.
President of DDO
TUF
Posts: 21,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 8:13:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

Easily. I was actually just thinking about this today. If I were in his situation and life was just unbearable, I couldn't imagine not being able to escape pain and misery. I don't know that I would want to personally have anything to do with killing him, but I would support the notion of it lol.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 8:27:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:29:28 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:25:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No.

Why not?

1. I'd fear prosecution if it were found I assisted his suicide.
2. I probably don't have enough in me to kill someone unless I absolutely hate them.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:07:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

Killing someone, regardless of them asking you to or not, is still murder. I won't soil my hands with such an action. If he were to do so (and he cannot since he is dead), I would just direct him to a doctor that can get him to think differently, and if that fails, then I won't have any part in the matter.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:39:39 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:30:44 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:28:23 PM, Hayd wrote:
If he has a terminal illness and is going to for sure die soon, then yes. But if he might be able to live out another fairly pleasant year of life, no.

If he asked you to kill him, what makes you think he'd have a pleasant year ahead of him? Wouldn't the very act of even asking that question imply he's not content with living anymore?

It might have been a temporary low. Or a curable depression. What matters is the medical condition
Jerry947
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 9:40:03 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No, people have no right to get themselves killed in that way.
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 10:29:04 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No. You can still be tried and convicted of murder, even if someone wanted you to kill them. Do not do it.
Tsar of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:14:08 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:39:36 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

If he was of sound mind, and his condition was deteriorating and seemingly hopeless, then yes, if I would not be penalized.

This is essentially my position on the matter as well.

I would especially do this because both of my grandfathers are between 75 and 85 years old. It will be heartbreaking but not tragic when they die.

But I would apply the same logic and consideration to anyone at any age.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:14:53 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 8:27:35 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:29:28 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:25:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No.

Why not?

1. I'd fear prosecution if it were found I assisted his suicide.

Yeah, that's a valid concern.

2. I probably don't have enough in me to kill someone unless I absolutely hate them.

Fair enough.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:16:55 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 8:13:29 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

Easily. I was actually just thinking about this today. If I were in his situation and life was just unbearable, I couldn't imagine not being able to escape pain and misery.

Yeah, I think that'd be terrible as well. I always try placing myself in the shoes of others and in this case I could easily empathize with such a desire.

I don't know that I would want to personally have anything to do with killing him, but I would support the notion of it lol.

My only fear would be prosecution. I think it's an honorable death and an honor to be the one chosen for the task.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:21:09 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 9:39:39 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:30:44 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:28:23 PM, Hayd wrote:
If he has a terminal illness and is going to for sure die soon, then yes. But if he might be able to live out another fairly pleasant year of life, no.

If he asked you to kill him, what makes you think he'd have a pleasant year ahead of him? Wouldn't the very act of even asking that question imply he's not content with living anymore?

It might have been a temporary low. Or a curable depression. What matters is the medical condition

Fair point indeed.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:22:08 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 9:40:03 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No, people have no right to get themselves killed in that way.

Why not?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:24:40 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Eh, probably.

That's easy for me to say, though. All my grandparents are long dead.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:24:47 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 10:29:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No. You can still be tried and convicted of murder, even if someone wanted you to kill them. Do not do it.

That's the only negative that I've seen thus far - that it's something that could land one in prison.

Would you have any other qualms against doing it if there was no legal conflict?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:26:34 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 12:24:47 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 10:29:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No. You can still be tried and convicted of murder, even if someone wanted you to kill them. Do not do it.

That's the only negative that I've seen thus far - that it's something that could land one in prison.

Would you have any other qualms against doing it if there was no legal conflict?

Morally, I see no issue with it. People should have a right to chose when to end their lives.
Tsar of DDO
Jerry947
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:26:37 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 12:22:08 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 9:40:03 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No, people have no right to get themselves killed in that way.

Why not?

It goes back to our conversation on objective meaning.

Just because people assert they have certain rights doesn't mean they actually have those rights.

I happen to agree with Thomas Jefferson who wrote that rights are endowed by God. And the Christian God, did not give people the right to have themselves killed in that way. People are given a short life and then they have an eternity of whatever awaiting them.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 2:23:52 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 12:26:34 AM, YYW wrote:
At 5/23/2016 12:24:47 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 10:29:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No. You can still be tried and convicted of murder, even if someone wanted you to kill them. Do not do it.

That's the only negative that I've seen thus far - that it's something that could land one in prison.

Would you have any other qualms against doing it if there was no legal conflict?

Morally, I see no issue with it. People should have a right to chose when to end their lives.

Okay, on that front we agree completely then.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,024
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 2:48:37 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I couldn't get myself to do it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,070
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 2:52:08 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
No, but I might buy him a plane ticket to the Netherlands.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 3:50:43 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 12:26:37 AM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/23/2016 12:22:08 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 9:40:03 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No, people have no right to get themselves killed in that way.

Why not?

It goes back to our conversation on objective meaning.

Just because people assert they have certain rights doesn't mean they actually have those rights.

I happen to agree with Thomas Jefferson who wrote that rights are endowed by God. And the Christian God, did not give people the right to have themselves killed in that way. People are given a short life and then they have an eternity of whatever awaiting them.

So it's a moral issue with you, that's understandable. It doesn't surprise me that a Christian wouldn't want to commit murder. However, the key term in any definition of murder is "unlawful". Should the legal repercussions be lifted in cases of assisted suicide, would there still be a moral conflict for you? Now, for you, obviously it would be since the 1st commandment is Thou Shalt Not Kill, but this is no case of cain and abel, this is a situation where someone is requesting to die.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 4:01:31 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 7:25:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Jerry947
Posts: 778
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 11:05:21 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 3:50:43 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/23/2016 12:26:37 AM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/23/2016 12:22:08 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 9:40:03 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No, people have no right to get themselves killed in that way.

Why not?

It goes back to our conversation on objective meaning.

Just because people assert they have certain rights doesn't mean they actually have those rights.

I happen to agree with Thomas Jefferson who wrote that rights are endowed by God. And the Christian God, did not give people the right to have themselves killed in that way. People are given a short life and then they have an eternity of whatever awaiting them.

So it's a moral issue with you, that's understandable. It doesn't surprise me that a Christian wouldn't want to commit murder. However, the key term in any definition of murder is "unlawful".

I understand the difference between murder and killing.

Should the legal repercussions be lifted in cases of assisted suicide, would there still be a moral conflict for you?

Absolutely. Government does not get to redefine what murder is or what is lawful killing.

Now, for you, obviously it would be since the 1st commandment is Thou Shalt Not Kill, but this is no case of cain and abel, this is a situation where someone is requesting to die.

Ex. 20:13 says "you shall not murder."

And it is similar the Bible example you gave in the sense that assisted suicide is someone murdering a human being.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:31:57 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/23/2016 12:26:37 AM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/23/2016 12:22:08 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/22/2016 9:40:03 PM, Jerry947 wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:16:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If your grandpa asked you to kill him, what would you do?

Let's say his wife is dead, he's lived his life and is now simply waiting for death to come. However, instead of being patient, he wants to die now - and has asked you, in strict confidence, to do him this favor and kill him.

So, would you do it?

No, people have no right to get themselves killed in that way.

Why not?

It goes back to our conversation on objective meaning.

Just because people assert they have certain rights doesn't mean they actually have those rights.

I happen to agree with Thomas Jefferson who wrote that rights are endowed by God. And the Christian God, did not give people the right to have themselves killed in that way. People are given a short life and then they have an eternity of whatever awaiting them.

This is off subject but Thomas Jefferson was not a Christian; he was a Deist. He thought the idea of Jesus' divinity was childish and rejected it outright, as did many of the US founding fathers.